17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avantrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8586758550x
- Hours of Operation:
Late Night Dining
Daily from 4pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from AVANT
AVANT draws on the best of wine country dining – inspired culinary exploration, leisurely socializing, and the freshest seasonal ingredients – and moves it forward with a contemporary California mindset. AVANT serves up vibrant, creative dishes and artisan libations in an inviting setting defined by its indoor-outdoor design, dynamic spaces and lush garden milieu – bringing a sense of adventure and fulfillment to every experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
AVANT reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (34)great for outdoor dining (30)scenic view (28)notable wine list (21)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great service and excellent foodHolein1Dined on 6/5/2014I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions . The remodel makes the dining room more intimate and It. has a great view of the golf course. A large bar has been added and there is an outside area for drinks and appetizers which looked like a cozy place to meet up with friends. Mt husband and I both had the halibut which was excellent, we had the price fixed package which included a shared salad and a glass of wine for each of us. This made the meal a great deal. The desserts were delicious. Our server was absolutely superb. I don't remember his name. He went out of his way to get a dessert that was off the menu for my husband. I really do like crisp clean table clothes, I wish they'd bring these backSpecial Features:
- wonderful anniversary dinnerSunDiegoDined on 6/3/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable about all menu items as well as appropriate wine. The prixe fixed menu for 2 is the way to go Sunday thru Thursday! Make sure to try the lobster salad. Great place and we wish great success as it begins its second year at Rancho Bernard Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty appetizershulamomDined on 5/31/2014Ordered three different appetizers... all delish! The margarita and mojito were just perfect! Our wait staff seemed new and inexperienced. Our waiter didn't know the type of mushrooms in a certain dish, got the cheese wrong and didn't describe the dish accurately at all. Had to ask for more bread two or three times, and he didn't bring extra butter with it. On our prior two visits we had excellent service, so I'm sure this was a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Attention from the chef!composerVIPDined on 5/31/2014I had a special seafood appetizer and a piece of the seafood tasted off. not only did the chef come to the table to apologize, he gave me a detailed breakdown of the ingredients and how they were blended in a brand new appetizer and waited for me to taste it and pronounce it ok. I have had off seafood in other restaurants but this was service beyond and above replacing the dish or not charging for it. Every other dish was prepared with care and artistry but the replacement seafood was the highlight of the meal. Save lots of room for dessert.Special Features:
- Lovely Special Occassion RestaurantJudyDined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner here. Our appetizers, main dishes and desserts were wonderful. The service was great. The ricotta appetizer was especially good - unusual presentation and delicious. The only complaint I would have is that it was extremely cold in the dining room. The room is lovely, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetdelightDined on 5/25/2014Great food, uniquely prepared and presented! Many delicious items on the menu so will have to go back and try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My Husband and I dined at Avant to celebrate a special occasion. From the moment we walked in, the service was excellent! The food was outstanding as was the stunning wine list. It was a very memorable evening. You will enjoy Avant for happy hour drinks and bites as well as dinner later in the evening, a true gem at Rancho Bernardo Inn!Special Features:
- The following 185 reviews are from the AVANT reviews archive.
- Love the new menuDyungcali60Dined on 5/15/2014Great service and a delicious new summer menu! The gazpacho, crab fritter and raviolos were favorites. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous diningPowegianDined on 5/8/2014My husband and I chose Avant for our 15th anniversary dinner. We loved the food; Avant's chef takes ordinary dishes and adds an unique flavor (for example, the sauce for calamari was fruity and added a new but delicious twist). The service was excellent, and our server brought us a dessert with "Happy Anniversary" beautifully written in chocolate drizzle on the plate. Beautiful ambience, delicious food and terrific service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tissue Paper Menus - Really??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Energetic and courteous staff, great ahi tune appetizer, deserts were average but for an upscale dining site the tissue paper menus and wine list were unexpected and they diminished the pleasant experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemTarheelvisitorDined on 4/30/2014Tucked away well outside downtown San Diego, this charming restaurant has great seafood choices in particular. We were a party of 6 and 2 of us are vegan and the head chef came out to meet us personally, shook our hands and listened to our situation. He came up with a delicious pasta/ vegetable dish that was delicious. The other 4 all raved about the salmon, bass and scallops they had. Very friendly waiter. I would highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice romantic eveningtrue4northDined on 4/27/2014the service was excellent, friendly, provided great suggestions & and at no time did we feel rushed. food was excellent, first rate, tasty appetizers and my partner and I split our main courses, which they thoughtfully separated for us. the ambiance was comfortable, the perfect setting for a nice romantic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most ExcellentBigWaveDaveDined on 4/26/2014Very nice preparations throughout the menu. The charcuterie was excellent, wedge salad w/ blue cheese mousse was an intelligent take on a menu classic. Entree's were very well prepared, balanced and presented. Equal to any farm-to-table experience we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeanoDined on 4/20/2014We enjoy Avant very much and recommend it highly. Been there 3 times in the past month. The food is exceptional - both the variety and quality. The only thing we've observed in the past two visits is they seem to be slightly understaffed in the server and busing department. Server "Brad" is excellent. Knows the menu and is quite cordial. Have him cloned. Hostess never smiled. Seemed angry about something. Train the bus boys a bit more and get them out servicing the tables. Water glasses should never go empty (and wine for that matter if the guest is buying it...) The food is so great, it would be a shame to allow mundane service lessen the overall experience. Still we recommend Avant. Just suggestions for making it even better.
- Big receipt, little food.NotafoodieDined on 4/19/2014The ambiance is cool and sleek, not really to my taste. Resembles more of a downtown club. The server was attentive. Bread served in a paper bag on napkin. Seemed to be in conflict with their otherwise high end persona. Was very disappointed in the food. Soup was pretty good, wedge salad was attractive on the plate but not much of a Wedge and too much dressing...small serving. My companion ordered fish and got just that, a piece of fish. For a bill of close to $100 for what the two of us ordered and one glass of wine for one person, it was way overpriced, so so food, and I would definitely not recommend it.
- saltyDined on 4/18/2014The food was extremely salty - including our green salad. If it wasn't for the amount of salt, the food would have been very good. We have eaten several times at the Veranda and have good experiences each time with no complaints.
- Not for special occasionLove2eatDined on 4/15/2014We came here for my fiancé's birthday. They said they were going to do something special, instead they did nothing and we felt rushed out of there. The food was good, nothing that would have me rushing back though.Special Features:
- blesetDined on 4/13/2014Food is never boring at Avant. Home made charcuterie with home made mustards. While eating the lam,suddenly" Wow", a little Harissa to spice things up. Hand dipped ricotta with vinegar marinated figs, etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!NBEPDined on 4/5/2014Pork chops were delicious! Complimentary champagne for Birthday was also very good! Overall employees, environment, service and food quality were more than we expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avant in Rancho Bernardo InnTomHVIPDined on 4/4/2014Avant, which is now a year old, is located in the charming Rancho Bernardo Inn. It's ten minutes off the I-15 in north San Diego, and worth a visit. The drinks, food and service are exceptional. My wife and I enjoyed a pre-theater meal including separate entrees of duck and scallops. Very good! The ambiance is a bit dark due to the window blinds being shut with the harsh sun bleeding into the restaurant, but it's a nice atmosphere and an interesting mix of local patrons, golfers and hotel guests enjoying this upscale scene. I recommend it. Parking is free in the RBI lot close to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menu options whichwinefoodDined on 4/1/2014Excellent menu options which did not disappoint our tastebuds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avant first timegoldarkDined on 3/28/2014Nicely redecorated. Poorly seated next to outside door. Charcuterie good, but ham choices limited. Wedge salad excessive dressing. Winter squash soup very excellent. Avoid wine on tap .. Way too cold. Pricey for the qualitySpecial Features:
- Fresh faireCarrieBDined on 3/27/2014The Avant at Rancho Bernardo Inn is a refreshing addition to quiet suburbia. Meals are fresh & organic with a gourmet touch! Excellent wine list with pairing recommendations. Service is alittle slow. So, not a place to go with kids or if you're in a rush. There is a new Chef in town so I think we can expect some refreshing creativity! This Resturant is beautifully decorated. Tables are too close, so it does not lend itself to intimate conversation. If you're looking for a unique brunch experience this is a place to check out! They offer a built your own Bloody Mary menu at Sunday Brunch! The Avant is a real neighborhood gem! They offer a beautiful view of the Golf Course and great property for a stroll. Valet parking available, too! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great job! Excellent serviceblesetDined on 3/23/2014Great job! Excellent service and great food. Everybody needs to try the raspberry sorbet. It really taste like fresh raspberries, where most don'tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st visit in a LONG time!cookingnanaDined on 3/17/2014had not been to the Rancho Bernardo Inn in a long time - first time since the restaurant was updated to Avant. Definitely different vibe than the old one. More casual - but still excellent food. This was an 88th birthday occasion, and was delightful - not disappointed in any way! Will go back, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plenty of great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2014Really enjoyed the ample portions. Had salad, the duck and brussels sprouts dish. Delicious and filling. I get tired of restaurants where the portions are so small that I leave hungary (and yes, I am thin). However, I am of an age where hearing can be difficult with the background noise. Will return on on a less busy weeknight perhaps. But I will return.Special Features:
- Great food with a slight (blesetDined on 3/16/2014Great food with a slight ( good) edge. Perfect service.Special Features:
- Awesome eveningBeibVIPDined on 3/15/2014I brought my nieces and my daughter for a "girl's nite out ". We had so much fun, considering it a first for the girls to get together. My husband ended up joining us, which added to the fun. Food was great, wine okay, but company was the best. Our server knows what is good to eat and just brought out the food and wine.Special Features:
- I took my husband here forKathyDined on 3/14/2014I took my husband here for his Birthday and we both loved it. Food was excellent!Special Features:
- menu was a huge disappointmentlbelindaDined on 3/14/2014Second visit to Avant- we live in the neighborhood. We heard the menu had changed. What a disappointment to sit down order drinks and not like the sound of a single thing on the menu. The menu has weird combinations, and seems overly pretentious. My husband ordered a steak with a side from another meal, I ordered the lamb. The food was good but not great. I tried the chocolate trio for desert. The chocolate avocado moose was terrible tasting, left a nasty taste in my mouth. I only liked one part of the trio! Again a disappointment. The restaurant is a strange mix of environments, with the sports bar, paper menus / fine ding experience. It seems like it doesn't know what type of restaurant it is. What an expensive disappointment.
- disappointing: poor service/ fooddsdinerDined on 3/9/2014We were there on a Sun eve. The service was so poor and so slow. The food over rated. The crab salad was terrific one time and this time poor. We will not go back.
- Heavy on the saltAndyDHVIPDined on 3/7/2014This was our fourth meal at Avant and probably our last. We had high hopes for this place, the location and decor are great, the food not so much. Our crab salads were overpriced and tiny - less than a tablaespoon of over salted crab per plate. So much salt that you crunched on individual grains. The mains were worse so over salted that we sent them back. My daughters flatbread was cold and she thought it tasted like supermarket frozen pizza. Amidst apologies our meals were replaced and our glasses of wine comped but honestly the replacement food wasn't much better. It's a real pity that the food is so poor the place itself is a delight. The menu is pretentious and overpriced - I hope they can fix it!
- Nice AmbiancePattiDined on 3/1/2014First visit to this new restaurant. Kind of pricey, but very good. I would recommend the patio room by the fire, but the night we went it was raining and cold so we sat in the dining room. It looked like the place to be is the bar for the most fun and that's what we'll try next. Hear they have a great happy hour. Nice visit overall.Special Features:
- fine but casual dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014Elegant presentation of dishes. Casual semi-formal dinning experience made less formal with booths & dimmer lighting. Excellent service by waiter & buss boys. Priced reasonable well but well worth the trouble. Very romantic spot to take a date or wife too.Special Features:
- Read mixed reviews on thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014Read mixed reviews on this restaurant, but decided to try for ourselves. I had fish, my husband steak, one friend chicken, and the other shrimp. We all liked our meal. The beet salad was fabulous as a starter. Menu a bit confusing the our waiter was knowledgable about all items we questioned. I would return to Avant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Drawer in RBOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/18/2014RBI should be proud of their new restaurant and its incredible food and service. I have taken several friends there now and each time we come away impressed with the dishes and how exceptional the wait staff are. Their small plate selection is one of the best I have seen and this time, I asked for a grilled veggie plate and it was so good, I highly recommend that they consider adding it to the menu. This has become one of my favorite restaurants in North County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Small Portions at High PriceshopelakeDined on 2/16/2014Food quality and service were both great. However the food portions are extremely small. I have never encountered a restaurant that offers such small portions and at such high prices. It is really to bad because the food quality is excellent but for me it is just a blatant rip off. Price is not the issue for me. The extremely small portions are in fact insulting = a blatant rip off of their customer. I travel all over the world and eat at 4 & 5 star restaurants in many different countries and have never experienced anything like this before. I wish I could recommend it but I and the people I was with will not be going back.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014The food was good, a bit overpriced. The service was nice and friendly but the time it took for us to get our main course was very long. It took over an hour from the time we order till the time it came out. Overall, I would recommend this place to friends; just be patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely devine!!LovebugDined on 2/8/2014The atmosphere is very comfortable. We started with the chef's special cheese plate and the salami platter, oh my!!! If you love exploding flavors you must try this. Next, came the wedge salad which I was warned was not your run of the mill "wedge." Let me say it was over the top delicious being slightly grilled and served with all the traditional toppings of the wedge.....OUT THIS WORLD GOOD!! Also, we had the beet salad (We love beet salads), this too was something to really RAVE about. The entrees were also fabulous. I think we will return to Rancho Bernardo JUST so we can eat here at Avant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SurpriseDallas43Dined on 2/4/2014My wife and I recently went to AVANT for her birthday and found it to be a great restaurant right here in our own neighborhood. I would recommend it to anyone that likes fine dining. The menu is a unique take on many standard dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.