Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort
14 The Green
Woodstock, VT 05091Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.woodstockinn.com/
- Phone: 8024576671
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Greg Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have 2 side rooms that may be reserved for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: The Red Rooster - Restaurant Manager 8024576671
A word from Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort
The Red Rooster, reflects the essence of Vermont in its delightful satisfying dishes and relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant serves American cuisine with a casual sophistication, focused on the simple, fresh and natural culinary heritage of Vermont.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort - Best Restaurants in Woodstock ›
Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (19)romantic (14)good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Disappointing restaurant in a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/28/2014Firstly, the decorator missed the mark by designing a modern look that is not particularly warm and comfortable and doesn't complement the Vermont village atmosphere.. The ambience is upscale and dimly lit, and the booths so large that waitstaff couldn't reach each place. The service was sloppy and rushed (I always hate to see some places being cleared before everyone is done eating), but the food was nicely plated and the soup hot. They could do a much better job with this location.Special Features:
- InterestingLinnbutDined on 1/25/2014Since you need a reservation I expected the restaurant to step it up from breakfast, maybe table clothes and candles But no, plus the place was empty and they put us at the worst table. Food was good. I prefer the tavern even though it is quite dark.Special Features:
- Special dining experienceACKislandDined on 1/23/2014gorgeous atmosphere coupled with excellent food. The cheese board sampler with local varieties is outstanding. Great for a romantic date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a diverse age groupFoodieDined on 1/18/2014Our food was excellent, the atmosphere quiet but we had a nice room to the side where a one year old cold move around without intruding on other parties. The restaurant is a little sterile but a great time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very attentive excellentBobgVIPDined on 1/10/2014Always very attentive excellent service and well-prepared, well-presented very good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pictures don't do it justiceDarksideDined on 12/31/2013The pictures online make the place look like a Denny's.. In Reality we found a very sophisticated and elegant environment ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Woodstock Inn & theMandyobVIPDined on 12/31/2013Love the Woodstock Inn & the Red Rooster! Service great, food delicious, very comfortable surroundings. We shall return again & again : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful meallocalgalDined on 12/25/2013We didn't know there were two restaurants at the Inn and so went to the Buffet. We told the Food and Beverage manager we had an Open Table reservation for dinner. We were early. We waited while he had someone look for a table for us. Said there'd be a wait and we asked to go to the bar. He was extremely haughty. Walked us to the bar at the opposite side of the building. Then he found our reservation for the a la carte restaurant (not the buffet). We sat at the bar and had great conversation with another couple so asked if we could have our dinner at the bar. Barman was very accommodating and our meal was excellent. We were marked as having cancelled our reservation though we made a point of telling everyone we were with Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous VermontBabsDined on 12/17/2013We were staying at the Woodstock Inn so staying in the Inn for dinner was very convenient. Everything about the meal was absolutely wonderful. Our waiter was extremely knowledgable and guided us through all our choices. The food was amazing. We could not have had a better experience!Special Features:
- Rookie waitressNoniDined on 12/14/2013We had pots of tea but no cops for 15 minutes. Squash soup was thin and tasted like salty chicken broth. Salads were good and gingerbread pudding was delicious. The setting was lovely so I would go again.
- Very good food. Lacking in ambienceNewtoniteVIPDined on 11/23/2013For a very good restaurant in a special and historic New England inn, it feels too much like a standard hotel restaurant. We like the setting and atmosphere of the Tavern much better. An upgrade to the decor to something more befitting it's setting would make a big difference in this space. The food and service were both excellent.
- GemJohnDined on 11/8/2013The Red Rooster is great. Had three lunches and two dinners this past week. Great food and servive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableplaytowinDined on 10/26/2013Second visit to this restaurant with same top quality experience. They strive for a'farm to table' menu and hit the mark fairly well. Would happily return when in the area in thefuture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoseRoseDined on 10/19/2013Stayed at the inn for a fall weekend and enjoyed the food in both restaurant venues.Special Features:
- Waited far too longEnjoysgoodmealDined on 10/13/2013Whole meal was over 2 hours, despite restaurant not being busy. And this was not one of those meals where you expected that as part of the dining experience. It was simply EXCESSIVE DELAY for the meal and it's components. It took 30 minutes alone for our dessert, which was most definitely not a soufflé! Waiter seemed absolutely "burned out" and virtually admitted to this with the comment "it's been a long leaf-peeper season". He could not remember any of the specials, etc, etc. Doubt I will return to this restaurant despite frequent trips to the region.
- Excellent Service and FoodChrisDined on 10/13/2013We recently dined at the Red Rooster. Our waiter was very attentive and pleasant. He even overheard me telling our friends that I am on a gluten free diet. He offered gluten free bread with my meal which was delicious. The food was excellent and well presented. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly dissapointingdinergirlVIPDined on 10/4/2013We had such high hopes for our experience at the Red Rooster Inn. First let me say our server was great and the room is absolutely lovely. We began with a single cheese sampler and found it to be a bit small - two small pieces of cheese. I had the pasta with spaghetti squash, spinach and tomatoes and found it to be void of flavor. I rate the dish as a C instead of a D simply because all of the ingredients were very fresh and I applaud those ingredients. My husband had a swordfish special and he, too, found the overall taste to be bland. I would go there for drinks, perhaps, as it is a lovely room but I cannot say I would return for the food.Special Features:
- Very Disappointed!Love2DineVIPDined on 10/2/2013We were very disappointed with our dining experience at the Red Rooster. My husband ordered the short ribs. It was very overcooked and dry and hard. My husband and I have had short ribs in other restaurants on many occasion and this was the worst we've tasted. We sent more than half of it back. And when the chef was notified, he defended his preparation. We thought the service and food at The Prince and the Pauper, another fine dining establishment in Woodstock, was far superior.
- first impressionequestriansDined on 9/29/2013The dining room was simple but had a nice romantic air. The service was suprisingly slow out of the box (which they acknowledged), but after the initial wait, the service was top notch. The food was tasty and inventive; on the whole outstanding. We have driven by this inn many times during our equine activities at GMHA but this was our first time dining there. We had a very pleasant dinner and would recommend, to anyone, find an opportunity to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinnereatingcrowDined on 9/28/2013My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary dinner at the Red Rooster. It was a perfect romantic spot, located inside of the Woodstock Inn and Resort. The dinnertime ambiance was perfect as we sat at a table adjacent to the interior fountain. Service was amazing and incredibly attentive. Everyone kept congratulating us and their well-wishes meant a lot to us. The food was superb - I had the filet mignon and my wife enjoyed the monkfish with lobster sauce. The pumpkin-apple soup was to die for! We highly recommend The Red Rooster for anyone looking for a wonderful dining experience in Woodstock, VT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dinnerAddieDined on 9/26/2013We very much enjoyed our dinner here. I ordered the salmon - it was prepared perfectly, presented beautifully, and absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and A little PriceyIngaDined on 9/24/2013The Woodstock Inn is such a beautiful place we were anxious to go there while on vacation. The dining room was very dated and cold. We were by far the youngest people there...at 50, we did not expect that! The service was good, but overshadowed by the unappealing food! I had the filet. It came with garlic mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. The spinach was a green, slimy pile of mush that you couldn't have paid me to eat! The filet was dry, grainy and flavorless. My husband's salmon was lukewarm and the sauce was unappealing. The clam chowder tasted canned, but it could have just been overly salty. The wine was the best part of the meal! Our entire dinner lasted less than an hour. They don't encourage you to linger...nor did we want too!
- Great food from local farmsAnneandDrewDined on 9/6/2013We enjoyed a delicious meal starting with the mussels and then the ahi tuna special and the steak. If you love veggies order the various family style sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy local cuisineJeffDined on 8/30/2013Red Rooster offers tasty locally-sourced fresh cuisine. We especially liked the local cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst $100+ meal I have eaten.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2013For such a pricey restaurant I have higher standards. Typical of the area, the restaurant relies heavily on cheese. Our meal was underwhelming in flavor and the fish was overcooked. The shrimp was terrible, the cheese fondue was unimaginative and the mac and cheese was too rich to eat more than a few bites. I would not recommend this restaurant when for the same cost we had a wonderful meal at the near by Simon Pearce Restaurant.
- Nice, but not spectacularluvvermontDined on 8/22/2013The Woodstock Inn has a special cache...having said that it has alot to live up to. Overall enjoyed our experience, but would look around for something else next time. The Red Rooster needs an upgrade. It is tired looking. The fountain is tacky. My oysters were miniscule. I have never seen such small ones. My swordfish was ok, but was not the thick steak I asked the waiter about. He said it would easily be 1 inch thick. It was maybe 1/2 inch thick. The preparation was good. Portions were good. Again, they should not be killing baby oysters....oysters should fill a teaspoon, mine were less than 1/4 of a teaspoon.Special Features:
- Needs a face-lift.WallasweetVIPDined on 8/5/2013The dining room has a very institutional ambience, a lot of cold hard surfaces and mirrors along one long wall. It is in desperate need of redecoration and redesign. It is reminiscent of a nursing home. There is no intimacy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2013Very disappointing dining experience. Wine list was mediocre; waiter was very "inexperienced'" with wine recommendations as he "hadn't had a drink in 9 years" and obviously there was no sommelier. Food was minimally average at best; risotto cake was gummy and tasteless. Order of pork tenderloin was inedible; the waiter and manager were very accomodating with the issue with the pork dish and replaced it without question. Overall, very disappointing meal based on expectations after seeing previous reviews as well as the restaurant association with a high-end hotel. Friendly service was the highlight.
- A great place to take your motherVTdinerDined on 7/27/2013The food was very good, and my mother, who has wanted to dine at the Woodstock Inn for almost her entire 89 years, was delighted to finally have the opportunity. The restaurant decor is simple but a bit "cold."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding RestaurantJohnDined on 7/25/2013We had a spectacular meal both nights of our stay at the Woodstock Inn. The menu is very nice with many great appetizers and entrees. The cheese sampler is very nice. The service is first class. I look forward to returning to the Red Rooster on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013My husband and I took my mother to the Red Rooster for her birthday on 7/13/13. The food was fantastic and it was a lovely venue. They were setting up for a wedding, and the grounds looks great. It looks like a top-notch place for any occasion, and is located in the lovely, picturesque center of Woodstock. I will definitely return for another meal.Special Features:
- Not up to usual high standardsLehnieDined on 7/4/2013We have eaten at the Red Rooster probably ten times over the past three years. The meal is usually excellent, and the service is outstanding. Our experience this past Thursday did not measure up. The service was good but not great, and the food was mediocre. One pays top dollar at the Red Rooster and expects interesting, flavorful food; instead the entrees were either over- or under-seasoned, the pork was tough, etc.
- Red Rooster Doesn't CrowDisappointedDined on 7/1/2013Red Rooster is located in a historic inn in Woodstock, VT. The exterior of the inn resonates with traditional New England charm as does the entire town. The interior of the restaurant is disappointingly at odds with this. It is sleek and cold. A music track of mid-20th century classics repeated four times in the time that we were dining. While the food was delicious, it wasn’t necessarily what we had ordered. We asked for oysters on the half shell and got Oysters Rockefeller. We ordered sautéed spinach as a side dish with our entrée. When it didn’t arrive and the waitress failed to stop back to see if we were satisfied, it was not until the entrée got cold before we could get her attention and she finally brought it to the table.
- We went to the Red RoosterWonderfulDined on 6/29/2013We went to the Red Rooster for our anavercity and were not disappointed. The service was the biggest highlight. We had a very good meal with a great bottle of wine. It was a perfect balance of service and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experiencekatologDined on 6/23/2013We THOUGHT we were going to brunch at the Red Rooster, because one Web Site stated they served breakfast until 9:00 p.m. Our reservations were for 12:00 p.m. and we found out brunch ended at 10:30 a.m. Lunch was find--nice menu, great service, good food and peaceful "old money" atmosphere. I would suggest they do a better job on their Web Site so prospective diners know what the hours are for different meals. Otherwise, it was a very pleasant time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ADA compliantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2013Not handicap user friendly. Would not meet federal guidelines for ADA compliant.
- nice dinnerGrouponVIPDined on 5/31/2013After a drive from Brooklyn NY we were looking for a nice easy quite dinner and we found it at the Red Rooster . Price is good food is very good the service is tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone has a bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2013Dinner took 2 1/2 hours because a wedding backed the kitchen up. Although the waiter was pleasant he wasn't around all that much. When my chopped salad arrived unschooled, and my family's food arrived lukewarm, I left. The rest of them left before dessert . The restaurant removed the salad from the bill. The restaurant has potential but needs to work out the kinks before wedding season...another family left before its entrees arrived. I would however give them another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice setting, VG entree selections!mam1Dined on 5/23/2013Located within the Woodstock Inn and Resort, it provides a convenient way to enjoy a quiet Dinner with quality food and preparation. Seating to the rear enables outdoor viewing. The middle section of tables surround a small water fountain and plants within a shallow rectangular pool. Everyone on staff could not be more friendly and appreciative. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Inn RestarauntbluedogVIPDined on 4/13/2013The food at the red rooster is excellent. Even if you are staying at the hotel a few days, there is enough variety and soem daily specials to keep your interest.Special Features: