443 rue St-Francois-Xavier
Montreal, QC H2Y 2T1Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantbonaparte.com/
- Phone: 5148444368
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gérard Fort
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Salle privée pour groupe de 15 à 20 personnes et de 50 à 70 personnes Private room for group of 15 to 20 persons and from 50 to 70 persons
- Private Party Contact: Maryse Leblond 514-844-3510
A word from Bonaparte
Trois salles ravissantes très fleuries et décorées avec goût, dans la sobriété du style Empire qui a marqué l'époque napoléonienne, donnent au restaurant un lustre d'intimité que les convives apprécient toujours. La cuisine du Bonaparte est tout sourire, basée sur la fraîcheur des produits. / Three delightfully decorated halls in the Empire style that dominated the Napoleonic era give the restaurant the intimate character that guests treasure. An exquisite cuisine, prepared with French savoir-faire and showcasing the finest fresh regional products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bonaparte - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Bonaparte reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)romantic (106)fit for foodies (97)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (21)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Ten years ago we visited MontrealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2009Ten years ago we visited Montreal for vacation and found Bonaparts. We loved it so much that when we came back to Montreal after all this time, we made a point of going back for another special night. As before it did not disappoint! Food was great, wine was excellent, perfect service. This is well worth a visit for an outstanding French meal.Special Features:
- We were delighted with thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2009We were delighted with this restaurant. The waiters were friendly, efficient, attentive but not too intrusive. The food and wine were excellent. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for fine food at a reasonable price in old town Montreal.Special Features:
- Bonaparte is a friendly, comfortablOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2009Bonaparte is a friendly, comfortable restaurant which serves good classic French cuisine. Unfortunately, the service for our dinner was very slow but it was excellent on both days for breakfast.Special Features:
- The food was fabulous andOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/6/2009The food was fabulous and the service was very good until we wanted coffee or tea. Our experienced waiter asked my husband if we wanted to pay for it! After my husband asked for a menu, it of course showed that they were included in our fixed price dinners just as he remembered. Apparently the waiter either wanted us out quickly to be able to seat another couple or was punishing us for taking too long over our dinner and that prevented another seating, as it was 9:15. We live in San Francisco and have traveled abroad every year for the last 15 (so are experienced diners at fine restaurants). We have never experienced a situation handled so poorly.Special Features:
- The tasting menu was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2009The tasting menu was very nice. The quail was delicious and was the smoked salmon. The duck breast was somewhat dissapointing. It was rather tough and lacked flavor. The waiter was very nice and seemd to be fluent in 3 languages. The one complaint my girlfriend had was it took quite a long time to get our bill after our meal was complete. In fairness this was partly due to a table that was arguing their bill.Special Features:
- Meal preparation and tasteBruceDined on 9/4/2009Meal preparation and taste and presentation was excellent. Service was very slow and we felt as if we did not belong. Though waiters were polite, they were aloof. We also noted that many patrons that came to the restaurant before we did were served before we were - perhaps because they spoke french and we were english - speaking. In comparison, we had supper on the patio at St Sulpice Hotel which was unforgettable. I'd rate it at least 5 stars and even over the top at 6 stars. We will not return to Bonaparte/ Bruce Orr Bruce Orr
- The night was great. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2009The night was great. The food was excellent, it was as good as i remembered it to be from a few years back. The service was exceptional, the waiters were very professional. The ambiance was perfect to celebrate a special occasion. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- We chose Bonaparte on theFriendlyDined on 8/30/2009We chose Bonaparte on the recommendation of a colleague and made a reservation in celebration of our 45th wedding anniversary. We could not have been happier with our choice. Particularly outstanding was the service: responsive, appropriate, and delivered with a deft competence that was never stuffy but always congenial - a rare combination in a 'fine' restaurant. The staff was accommodating in both English and French.Special Features:
- This place is a real find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2009This place is a real find! Consistently excellent food, and especially great if you are staying at the Auberge ( in the same premises ).Special Features:
- Wonderful, FRIENDLY FrenchLarryDined on 8/25/2009Wonderful, FRIENDLY French restaurant. Try the tasting menu. You will love it.Special Features:
- This place is way overrated.ajpaltroVIPDined on 8/24/2009This place is way overrated. The service seemed to be more attentive to the customers who appeared more seasoned. As a younger couple who was spluging for fine cuisine, we felt underappreciated. The tasting menu was totally hit-or-miss. I was not overly impressed with any dish, although it certainly was nicely prepared. I would not go back to Bonaparte the next time I visit Montreal.
- very disappointing. a veryamyssDined on 8/24/2009very disappointing. a very pretty setting but.... mediocre food, indifferent service, and the waiter neglected to tell us about the souffle until he handed us the dessert menu and there would have been an additional wait.
- The food was splendid, thefoodieDined on 8/23/2009The food was splendid, the chocolate souffle was the best I ever had. There was no kid's menu but restaurant cooked pasta for our daughter.Special Features:
- Overpriced food, inexperiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2009Overpriced food, inexperienced (though friendly) service.
- My husband and I went to MontrealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2009My husband and I went to Montreal on our honeymoon and went here one night. It was a great meal and a very nice atomsphere. The food was excellent and a nice start to our honeymoonSpecial Features:
- Even on a weeknight, mostOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2009Even on a weeknight, most of the crowd was tourists, not locals. Still, the food and service were excellent, but for those who seek out "undiscovered" restaurants, pass this one over.
- Fantastic food, reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2009Fantastic food, reasonably priced, great menu selections, and wonderful service. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- This restaurant was overated.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2009This restaurant was overated. Service was quick although the food was average. This restaurant was a tourist trap. Over priced restaurant definetely did not fall in the category of fine French cuisine. There are much better choices of French cuisine in Montreal.
- Absolutely wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2009Absolutely wonderful food and service. We would recommend itanytime to anyone.Special Features:
- Lobster salad app was excellent,BobCVIPDined on 8/10/2009Lobster salad app was excellent, nice view from our window seat.
- The service here on a SundayurichVIPDined on 8/9/2009The service here on a Sundayu night was slow. Our entrees took over 30 minutes to arrive without and explanation or apology,
- Great Food in a NeighborhoodNewcomer13Dined on 8/5/2009Great Food in a Neighborhood Gem,Friendly,attentive staff and a great wine list. Just what we needed in Vieux Montreale.Special Features:
- Visitors from the states;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2009Visitors from the states; okay experience. The wild boar and rack of lamb was excellent. The filet was a little over cooked as well as the venison. The lobster bisque was more like a broth no cream.... I am used to bisque with cream coming from steak houses like Mortons or Ruth Chris. So not bad but 50/50 due to steak and bisque.
- Lovely rooms, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2009Lovely rooms, excellent service and food. A perfect special dinner in Vielle Montreal.Special Features:
- This was a great classic FrenchBryceDined on 7/31/2009This was a great classic French restaurant at a reasonable pricve. Leisurely, unhurried dining yet not "slow". Spectacular food. The mushroom ravioli (recommended) was incredible. Some reasonably priced bottles on the wine list - That's nor very easy to find in Montreal! Would go back.Special Features:
- We decided to try BonaparteOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/17/2009We decided to try Bonaparte after reading many positive reviews and it lived up to its reputation. We were a group of four and each of us had some version of the tasting menu. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. I would return without hesitation.Special Features:
- What a romantic dinner forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2009What a romantic dinner for our anniversary...totally worth the 5-hour drive from Toronto! The 6-course tasting menu ($62) was absolutely amazing, with 3 appetizers, 1 main course, 1 dessert sampling platter with sparkling candles followed by tea or coffee. When we booked our table we requested to sit by the window so it was lovely to see horse-drawn carriages riding by. There was a parking lot right beside the restaurant but we were able to find meter parking so it only cost us $8 instead of $15. We would definitely return to Bonaparte if we are in Montreal again.Special Features:
- We had an outstanding dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2009We had an outstanding dinner in a charming setting. Both the food and service were as good as anything we had in Paris. The traditional French menu was complimented by a nice selection of half bottles - just perfect for the two of us. Our entire meal was delicious and attractively plated. Excellent quality ingredients were prepared beautifully - allowing us to really appreciate their freshness. We enjoyed the attentive service that was not rushed or intrusive. The table d'hote menu provided a wide range of choices at an excellent value. Hope to return on our next visit to Montreal.Special Features:
- Lovely place with great foodJillbo0Dined on 7/1/2009Lovely place with great food for a romantic evening!Special Features:
- Disppointing - once again,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2009Disppointing - once again, Zagats ratings are inflated outside NYC. This restuarant in NYC would be a 21 but it's a 26 in Montreal. A 26 in NYC is a Picholine or Felidia. Bonaparte is not even close.
- Fantastic - we asked for aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2009Fantastic - we asked for a window seat and had the best spot in the restaurant. We are locals who found the restaurant on Trip Advisor - must say the reviews were right on - fantastic!Special Features:
- This was a great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2009This was a great dining experience! The service was excellent and the food amazing.Special Features:
- Nice. Table by window wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2009Nice. Table by window was key -- very pretty street scene. Wait staff was lovely, just a bit slow.Special Features:
- for a serious food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2009for a serious food and wine experience to share with special person(s) in your life, this is a great spot with notable service and outstanding food, probably our favorite in Old Montreal.Special Features:
- We went here for our 5th anniversarOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2009We went here for our 5th anniversary and had an amazing time. We made reservations that day and mentioned our anniversary. we were seated right next to the window in a little secluded area. It was so romantic. The service was amazing, the wait staff was very attentive. I loved the mushroom ravioli and the sample of desserts was amazing! I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- We celebrated our 10th weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2009We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here and it was the perfect place. The food was absolutely amazing and the service was the best!! We had a romantic window alcove table and watched the horse-drawn carriages go by while enjoying our delicious 6 course tasting menu dinner. The staff gave us special treatment and never rushed us. Would highly recommend and we greatly appreciated the food and the fabulous service.Special Features:
- Celebrated our 10th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2009Celebrated our 10th Anniversary at Bonaparte. The table was set in a window overlooking Old Montreal. The service and the food were both great. The Lobster Stew was exquisite and nothing like we were expecting, would definitely order again.Special Features:
- My husband and I celebratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2009My husband and I celebrated our first night in Montreal by booking dinner at the Bonaparte restaurant. Without question this dining experience rated among our most outstanding. The service, quaint charm and exquisite food was superb! My husband is gluten intolerant, and the chef was so accommodating to his needs. We will return.Special Features:
- The food was perfect. I hadGraceVIPDined on 4/26/2009The food was perfect. I had a green vegetable soup which was not as I expected. I think a combination of lentil and split pea pureed lightly salted so you can really take in the flavor of the beans. The duck leg confit was delicious and not dry. My daughter had the lobster stew with pasta. Was not really a stew so I'm not sure why it was called that. The buttery vanilla sauce complimented the lobster very well. Finished my dinner with the creme brulee, just superb! The price for dinner was steep but worth ever penny!Special Features:
- We had a fabulous meal here.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2009We had a fabulous meal here. The lobster stew dish was as good as anything I've had at The White Barn in Kennebunkport, Maine. Service was impeccable. This should be a must on any visit to Montreal.Special Features: