300 Grove St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jardiniere.com/
- Phone: 4158615555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner reservations can be made Sun-Thurs: 5:00pm-9:00pm Fri and Sat: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Morgan Mueller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are available for lunch or dinner receptions through our special events manager, Nicole Yasinsac. firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Jardiniere
Jardiniere, opened in 1997, is housed in a beautiful landmark building in San Francisco's chic Hayes Valley neighborhood. Highlights of the elegant setting include a gorgeous bar and stunning staircase. The highly refined and sensual food of Chef/Owner Traci Des Jardins is a celebration of Northern California's best seasonal bounty prepared with classic French technique. The J Lounge features a full list of specialty cocktails and wines, and offers a variety of creative lounge food and small plates. Its proximity to the theaters makes it an excellent place to dine before or after a show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Jardiniere reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (214)fit for foodies (197)romantic (182)notable wine list (144)neighborhood gem (71)vibrant bar scene (55)hot spot (45)good for groups (35)late-night find (30)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Best dinner and wine pairing!OaklandRRVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have often dined at Jardiniere for their 3 course fixed price Monday dinners before other events at Civic Center. The Monday dinner this week was the best I have had. It was a winemaker dinner, featuring Mt. Beautiful wines. From the rabbit loin served with Sauvignon Blanc, to the port chop served with Pinot Noir followed by almond cake served with Pinot Gris-each course was heightened by the wine chosen. The wait staff at Jardiniere is always excellent, from the moment you are greeted at the door and seated, through dinner service. Attentive but not hovering. I look forward to my next Monday night meal at Jardiniere and looking for Mt Beautiful wines at a local wine shop.Special Features:
- Great service good foodDaveDined on 7/26/2014Classic french restaurant, the service is outstanding, waiters don't bother you too much, although they are always available when you need them. They can suggest very good wine that compliments the meal. The place is pricey, but it definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Great findDrMooVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I encountered this restaurant at a food event and decided to dine at the restaurant. We decided to go à la carte and our waiter was incredibly helpful in describing the dishes and briefly explaining the menu (the menu is simple, but the explanation really guided us in ordering). We shared the charcuterie plate, which was excellent and I chose to just have an entrée, while my wife had a small plate and a pasta. When they brought my wife's small plate, they provided me with a complimentary consommé, which was very good. When my entrée and my wife's pasta arrived, they were both prepared perfectly and were delicious. They were also excellent at suggesting a pairing of wine with the meal. I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPearseVIPDined on 7/23/2014We went here for a birthday dinner and had a lovely experience. The staff was incredibly helpful and attentive very question was answered about the wine list and menu even before we asked on most items. In all the food was delicious, the wine list was extensive, and the service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Past gloriesOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/23/2014Not what it used to be. Menu options limited, small portions, but the setting is niceSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!nottoobiziliziDined on 7/22/2014Kudos to the chef! Outstanding and unique French cooking. We ordered appetizers, an octopus pasta (our favorite!) and a chicken entree with amazing frites, dessert. We shared everything and the restaurant split dishes for us. So we didn't over indulge, but came away very satisfied, and got to try many items. The service was excellent and unrushed. We had a romantic table for two overlooking the bar. For parking, to our surprise, the Valet cost $15, same as the garage next door, our car was waiting for us after the concert at Davies, and we drove off while the crowd was still pouring in to the garage to get their car.Special Features:
- Before the showJeanneDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is right across the street from the opera house and the S.F. SYMPHONY venues. Great food and a perfect place to go before the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Excellence Was DeliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Overall: You pay for it, but it's well worth it. Jardiniere is formal, yet approachable. The real gem is the drinks and food. You are presented with a formidable number of wine and spirit choices. I did a scotch flight, but they can do a flight on any type of liquor you like. My wife had a glass of the Riesling, which was good enough for a refill request. In contrast, the food menu is simple and elegant. The a la carte choices are satisfying and delicious. I have yet to try the tasting menu, but honestly, it's only a bit more expensive than going a la carte, so we will try that next time.Special Features:
- Food Superb Service PretentiousTardigradeVIPDined on 7/15/2014We don't get to Jardiniere often; we try to avoid it during opera season, since it is very crowded and noisy then. Here in mid-summer this time, and our waiter apparently thought we were a pair of pig farmers from Iowa.He launched into an explanation of the menu, which we halted about minute into it, but he kept showing his superior knowledge for the next 1 1/2 hours of dining, despite our attempts to shut him up. When we were leaving he smirked "Have a nice trip home." and I answered "We are home, but we're leaving soon for the opera season in Santa Fe." He looked stunned. This unacceptable in a great restaurant like Jadriniere. New Yorkers would eat him alive. I left him his 20% anyway (about $60 on a $250 tab for two, by the way).Special Features:
- Fun Prix FixeJDdinerDined on 7/14/2014We went for the Monday prix fixe menu. A fun experience. It gave us the chance to try a lot of new wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Jardiniere I rememberWanderingWidowDined on 7/13/2014I've enjoyed many wonderful pre-performance dinners at Jardiniere over the years so I hope this was just an off night. The problem with the overly salted entree was compounded by the inattentive waiter.
- UnbelievablenolababyDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I had an incredible meal! I can't believe I waited 11 years to dine at Jardiniere!!! Every course was fantastic!Special Features:
- Absolutely excellentTWandMDVIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious and creative menu options. Outstanding service. Days later, I'm still thinking about our dinner and experience. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive TreatmoreplzDined on 7/10/2014I really wanted to have some delicious food and I'm glad I chose Jardiniere. The bar staff was friendly and our main waiter knew everything about every dish. We both really enjoyed our plates, however, I know it's pricey there, but the portion size! What can I say, I like to eat and taste, I don't think a second plate of charcuterie should be needed to have enough in my mouth to taste the flavors :( But they are all about customer service, when one drink took a while to prepare, they brought a second one (different distillery) at no charge. A fully enjoyed meal here could easily be your entertainment for the night, if you have the bankroll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentzorroVIPDined on 7/9/2014I take my clients to Jardiniere and I'm always certain the food and service will be excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Pre Opera DinnerSpartycalDined on 7/8/2014A great pre-opera dinner at Jardiniere. All courses were inventive, well prepared and delicious. Only glitch was that our server was slow to take a drink order, ended up taking our food order concurrently, and we were into the first course 5 or 10 minutes before my martini arrived. Not quite right for such a fine establishment, and we were not in a hurry to make the performance at all. Otherwise, very pleasant, as always.Special Features:
- Great meal!Paul27Dined on 7/8/2014We had it all, and all was great! The highlight was the fresh made garganelli pasta with charred squid and peppers...one of the best things ever made! Bon bouche for dessert gave us a 2-bite taste of 10 delicious treatsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodCaroDined on 7/7/2014Very good welcome, great association food-wine with an outstanding wine list, and good value for money with the three dishes menu on mondays! great experience in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!veroVIPDined on 7/5/2014Always consistent. Love the vegetarian pasta, excellently prepared; vegetables always al dente. Superb service!Special Features:
- Great dining pre-OperaMarkVIPDined on 7/5/2014Overall great experience. Very good menu and service.Special Features:
- Special ExperienceOperapassionateDined on 7/5/2014Usually when we go out to dinner at a "fancy" place, I'm constantly thinking about whether a restaurant is being pretentious (i.e. food not living up to the spin put out by the restaurant) or is just terrific. With Jardiniere, I stopped thinking about that one bite into the entree. Later, when desert came I was reduced to just "Wow".Special Features:
- Classic SF night outcichlisuiteVIPDined on 7/5/2014You step into the lovely dining room with the staircase that leads you to the tables above. Seated around atrium/bar surrounded by bricks and windows with summer evening turning into night is festive as can be. Start with champagne and some oysters and seasonal starters & entree. Each prepared perfectly...coupled with impeccable service. They source some herbs and flowers from rooftop garden as well as the honey for the dessert. Wrapped up the meal with hot tea and couple spoons of my husband's dessert...perfectly timed before the start of the opera. Classic SF night outSpecial Features:
- Fabulous FoodCareyDined on 7/1/2014I remember eating here 15 years ago. Once again the service and the food was outstanding. Upon entering, the hostess was warm and friendly. Then a gentleman led up upstairs to our table and welcomed us. I must say, Andrew was probably one of the best waiters I've experienced in a long time. He was warm, friendly, knowledgeable of all the dishes and professional at all levels! We had the artichoke for starters, the lamb and the duck for our entrees and the Chiboust for dessert. Every dish was simply mouth watering. The presentation was definitely a work of art! As we concluded the meal to get ready to see "Showboat", all of the staff that we crossed path with wished us a wonderful evening. What an experience!Special Features:
- Jardinaire is good not greatsfmomVIPDined on 7/1/2014We have gone to Jardinaire on a couple of occasions. Overall we find the food good but overpriced. The restaurant relies heavily on Opera, Symphony etc and yet the service is so slow, you nearly miss curtain. Our waiter was friendly but did not check in on us very often. The food was good but really nothing super special--and for what they charge it should be special. Some times we go to Jardinaire and it is outstanding. This most recent time was not as great. I don't know if our need to get to theater made the food not as good. I have noticed they have made the menu smaller again which leads to less options. The sommelier was helpful in wine choices and the wine was good. Overall we had a good time.Special Features:
- Came for opera, stayed for food!RaffaVIPDined on 6/29/2014THE perfect way to wind up after the Sunday matinee. Just across the street from the opera house, I could say the sommelier was particularly humorless and the wine offerings too, too expensive, but that would be picky and really, an insignificant trade off for enjoying a fabulous meal. The artichoke salad with squid, gemelli and roast octopus, crunchy crust coho salmon and corn off the cob with chanterelles deserved a high-priced wine. We shall return when the coffers have been replenished. Be very hungry and prepare to enjoy a special treat.Special Features:
- DisappointingGourmetDined on 6/28/2014Very limited menu with duplication of types, e.g., out of 4 entrée choices: chicken, quail(stuffed w/rice!), but no beef nor shellfish. Cheap/run-of-the mill ingredients. Extremely small portions. Unimaginative desserts (strawberry and vanilla sherbet). Big wine list but had very few California wines, very high price point all around.
- Great restaurantSmirffDined on 6/26/2014I have always loved eating at Jardiniere! You can tell that the staff takes pride in what they do.Special Features:
- Super yummy nicely doneSFfoodluverVIPDined on 6/23/2014Finally made it and now I understand all the rave! Simply delishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentfirenzeitaliaDined on 6/23/2014The food, service, ambience, presentation were all fantastic. I just wish that many of the other guests would dress appropriately. Come on this is NOT a jeans and t-shirt place!!Special Features:
- The following 3081 reviews are from the Jardiniere reviews archive.
- tiny portionsshawnaDined on 6/22/2014We do not mind paying for a very nice meal but the amount charged was not in proportion to the tiny amount of food. We left hungry. Lovely presentation of the food and pretty restaurant but will not be back.Special Features:
- good late dinnermikeDined on 6/21/2014We went in after the symphony thinking we'd just have a quick bite, but pretty much ended up with a full meal. We both thought the risotto was wonderful, with perfect consistency and the fresh herbs on top blending nicely into the flavor. The waitress recommended a burgundy with this that was also great. My wife had the ribs, which were also very good, with the fresh tomatoes and dash of horseradish on top complementing the beef. I also liked the crispy anchovies, although I think I would have preferred more anchovy in the mix. My wife had the Bonne Bouche for dessert and I had the cheese selection. Again, both were quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food & Serviceemc2Dined on 6/21/2014I eat out a fair amount and cannot remember having better service. This was my first time a Jardiniere and while it is not inexpensive, it is definitely worth it. I highly recommend it for special occasions. Our server offer good suggestions, including wine pairing and cocktail that made our dining experience even more enjoyable. While the restaurant was quite busy--Saturday night--it was not too noisy and we were not rushed at all. Truly a great food experience!Special Features:
- Always a treatDinneroutDined on 6/21/2014What better meal could one have prior to the opera? Ambiance is great for conversation, staff is always on it, food is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near SF Opera and SF SymphonyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014The whole experience was outstanding and flawless from beginning to the end. The staff was helpful and curtious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nickybeaulieu51Dined on 6/20/2014The restaurant was wonderful!! Great food and presentation! The decor and ambiance is terrific! We were nicely greeted at the door,the service was good but the only draw back of the evening was our sullen waiter.He was not the most agreable person but the dining experience was superb and we would definely go back! Nicole BaillargeonSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/19/2014Food was fabulous, and the servers etc. were very accommodating as far as our schedule (we had opera tickets).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- owhyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Always a wonderful dining experience. Food options and presentation excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner...LynDinesDined on 6/15/2014And a wonderful evening. Service and the food were very good.Special Features:
- Good Food, Bite SizedCliffDined on 6/15/2014Really good food, in appetiser size dollops. Give me more, next time!Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I never write reviews but felt compelled to say "fantastic"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.