Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
32 West 37th
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://frankieandjohnnies.com/steakhouses/frankieandjohnnies.html
- Phone: 2129478940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:30pm,; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Pedro Benitez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
Established 1926 Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse is located in the former townhouse of John Barrymore. Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse has a look that is sleek and uncluttered, with a warmth that is inviting to all its guests. The menu is distinguished with its exceptional quality of USDA certified prime dry-aged beef and a secret blend of spices that season every steak before it hits the grill.Continued
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)romantic (29)notable wine list (19)good for groups (16)great for lunch (14)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- My ReviewReviewer123Dined on 2/18/2014Food was excellent! Loved the crab cakes. I had the black linguini and shrimp. Was not sure how I would like the black linguini and it was AMAZING. I also had a piece of my friends steak and the meat was so tenser to perfection must go have dinner hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; avoid downstairssardarDined on 2/17/2014The food was great, the service good, but the downstairs seating next to the bar was marred by a loud customerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely excellent experienceBellRockDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here on Valentine's Day after looking for some great steak options in NYC; and absolutely made the right choice. From the moment we walked in, the service was excellent. Great demeanors by the entire staff from start to finish made the experience and price tag well worthwhile. Food wise everything was prepared perfectly and the menu options were broad enough for any taste. My wife got the surf and turf and I had the veal chop. We also shared a cold seafood plate as an appetizer that included clams, oysters, lump crab, shrimp, and lobster. I believe it was a Valentine's Day special only but it was one of the best and freshest seafood plates I've had anywhere. We will surely return next time we're in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2014Husband and I went for dinner on our first night in NYC. We've visited the city many times and had some fabulous meals but sadly this wasn't one of them. The food was distinctly average. The steaks were just about ok, the fries were stale and burnt as were the mushrooms and onions. The service so understated it was brusque. We chose just a main meal each, no appetisers or dessert and just one glass of wine and beer. The bill came to over $165. What's more, they include service at 20%, then have the cheek to add tax on the total. Service should be optional and definitely not taxed. Very disappointing.
- Time for a makeoverwstmarlkVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was excellent but the restaurant could be stunning with a makeover of the interior and some new staff. Old jaded waiters. Also three hours after we dined open table reservation was cancelled, like a scam to not award points. One call the the restaurant quickly got that resolved, but shady.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2014This place is great. Not pretentious and no obnoxious up sell on items. It stands up to any NYC steakhouse IMO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner before concertTommyDined on 1/27/2014The food was excellent. We had pork chops which were prepared perfectly and filet chopped steak which was delicious. The classic salad was chopped and had a very good dressing. Did not care for the potato pancakes. They were ok but much different than expected. The fried zuchini was outstanding, bread very good and steak sauce worth purchasing to take home. We did not have desert but enjoyed specialty coffee. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for BusinessGaryHDined on 1/22/2014Found Frankie and Johnnies by accident one night. They fit us in without a reservation and treated us like we were their best customer. Our clients absolutely loved the ambiance. Food was very good with a varied selection of beef and fish. The wine list was reasonable with a varied selection. I would recommend Frankie and Johnnies to anyone who wants to have a great meal in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic NY SteakhouseScotteeDined on 1/18/2014We had a warm fireside table and a great dinner! Flavor of the steak was delicious although I will ask for a touch less salt on my next visit.Special Features:
- Great SteakGreatDiningDined on 1/18/2014We really enjoy our visit to Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse, the food was delicious. The restaurant is visually appealing and the food presentation is beautiful. The staff is very attentive and friendly. It was worth coming, and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We would definitely return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service Greta foodFabulousDined on 1/17/2014We had the pleasure of dining on a Friday night before the theatre. From the minute we were greeted and seated the service and ambiance was great. I would recommend the tomato and mozzarella salad to start. The freshest tomatoes we very had. The steaks were cooked to perfection. Our waiter Lazlo, the Captain and wit staff were terrific, they made us feel like regular customers and were so informative too. I would go back again and recommend to all our friends. This is a great Steak House in mid town.Special Features:
- A solid steak house !Theek111Dined on 1/13/2014I found Frankie and Johnny's on the internet by luck, I was in town for a trade show and brought two business associates with me. All where pleased and full. We had porterhouse for three and there was nothing left but the bone. We had the vanilla and chocolate moose cake with some vanilla ice cream, it was one of the best pieces of cake I have ever had. BTW, I eat a lot of steak hoses and this is on par with the best of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJohnFVIPDined on 1/11/2014This was a wonderful, un rushed evening. Each course was succulent and presented well. The staff was conscious of our need for conversation and carried out serving all courses well Will returnSpecial Features:
- Awesome!!!Luv2eatVIPDined on 1/7/2014Simply incredible!!! Food was & service incredible!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificDebborahmDined on 1/4/2014This restaurant had exceptional service, and the food was great.We arrived early for our reservation, and we were seated right away. I would recommend this place to everyone.The surf and turf was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Four people had steaks - two filets and the rib eye for two - steaks were cooked perfectly, very tender and exceptionally tasty. Can't say the same for the mashed potatoes...a little mealy and thin. Salad was Ok - 90% ice berg lettuce with some cukes. Ambience was great though - nice small, local feel - saw a local celeb (Hubie Brown) eating next to us. A fun time, but for the price, would have expected better side dishes.Special Features:
- Bumpy Start, Great FinishOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/21/2013We arrived early for our reservation and was seated promptly. Our waiter must have been wired for the pre-theatre crowd because he was eager to take our order and move us out. After a brusk exchange that we wanted a long and quiet evening, he settled down and was very accommodating. Cocktails arrived and were delicious - I ordered an Amarone from the wine list which I happy to see. Our meals were fine - even though the preparation of our steaks were reversed from our order. My wife's filet arrived medium and my filet arrived medium rare - the opposite of what we wanted. We didn't say anything - they were still delicious. Prices are what you would expect at a New York steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewMichelleDined on 12/21/2013I went here for dinner with my boyfriend. It is a great place to go on a date. The wine was delicious. The filet mignon was so tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013This was our second visit to Frankie & Johnnie's and it was once again excellent!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!Ash4Dined on 12/14/2013The service was perfect. The steak was amazing and the ambience couldn't be better. So impressed!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013Were not given a wine menu. Waiter had a poor personality and never came by at the beginning to offer wine just walked up and asked us if we were ready to order our food without even giving any specials. It was one of the worst service experiences I have had especially for a nice place.Special Features:
- Best steak ever!NinerFanDined on 12/13/2013I had the dry-aged ribeye and have to admit that I have never had a steak that wonderful! The wait staff were friendly and accommodating and never made us feel rushed. I truly felt like I had THE NYC dining experience and I'd go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Night on in the Big CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013Our College roommates and husbands were meeting in NYC for a reunion for 2 days. We made reservations at Frankie and Johnnie's but didn't know that there were two locations. When we got to the one location that we thought we were going to, they didn't have our reservation. It was 12 degrees in that night and blustery cold. We had to walk about another 15 blocks to get to the correct restaurant. But the hostess did call ahead to the other location to let them know that we were going to be late. The food was amazing. The place was extremely noisy and we had a difficult time having a conversation. The service was not really great, but they tried . All in all, I would recommend for the food, but ask to be put in a quieter corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/12/2013We recently dined here for a special occasion and were made to feel like old friends, not new visitors. The food and service were both terrific! Gus greeted us and stopped back to chat later on about the history of the building!! Fabulous meal and overall experience !! Highly recommend !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchLunchDined on 12/12/2013Food was great.. Steak cooked perfectly. Would go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic New York CityitsallrelativeDined on 12/12/2013went for lunch with a friend, nice fireplace upstairs (with fire burning), very attentive wait staff without rushing or suffocating, I had petit filet migno, medium, cooked to perfection (I like it slightly on the rare side - it was), terrific piece of meat, extremely tender (like butter - probably did not need to use a knife! Friend had salmon, excellent. Great ambience, true New York City feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two hours after arriving forjbbbDined on 12/9/2013Two hours after arriving for lunch we asked someone to find out waiter and ask for a check rather than wait even longer for him to appear to take our dessert/coffee order. It didn't help that this was a prix fixe lunch. The "special salad" was all the white part of an iceberg lettuce and I didn't realize for a minute that it was loaded with raw onions, which i do not eat. The entree was overcooked and bland.
- Good foodCathietrDined on 12/7/2013This was definitely a wonderful meal. It is very pricey. The website said it had a Prix fix meal but when we got to the restaurant that was not offered and the same Meal was over 70 dollars. It's ala cart. It was 400 with tip for a meal for four. I didn't Think it was worth that much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best for any occasioncabscontradsDined on 12/7/2013Frankie & Johnnies w37th St. venue remains so consistent since my Wife and I first came upon your opening years ago. Not climbing over tables like the 'Speakeasy' w45th, the Barrymore Library is like entering your own private dining room regardless of the number of people around you. The Fireplace room is like being at home. The atmosphere, food, and service is impeccable. I would love to keep this Gem Secret but, then it wouldn't last. We need to share this wonderful experience with everyone who can appreciate the finer things in life. Not inexpensive by any means, but well worth the trip anytime. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality of the steaks wereJim1Dined on 12/7/2013quality of the steaks were only so-so. Servce was slow. There are better places in Manhattan for a steakhouse experience.
- Great food, cheeky with gratuitiesWalesOggyDined on 12/6/2013We went to this restaurant on recommendation of friends, mainly to enjoy a 'New York Steak'. This we did, the Porterhouse steak for 2 was to die for. We were a party of four and all of us had fabulous food. However, we asked for water which didn't arrive at the table and we needed to ask again. Having finished a bottle of wine we asked for an additional glass each, and had to ask again. This is not a problem - but - the restaurant automatically added a service charge of 20%, which to my understanding is intended for excellent service. We did not receive excellent service and therefore should have had the option to select our own level of gratuity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good steakhouseVeritasVIPDined on 12/6/2013I would put this place up there with the best steakhouses and the plus is it is not a national chain. It had the standard steakhouse ambience and menu, the food was really good. There is nothing new or unexpected about this place, but I suspect that is a prime reason to go here! I would recommend to anyone looking for a really good steak!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMaryjDined on 12/3/2013Delicious food. Steak was cooked perfectly. Sea bass tender and buttery. Wait staff a little hovering, but i think that because it wax early. Definitely would go again and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013I have never had such a big juicy steak in my life! I can totally recommend Frankie and Johnny's steakhouse. The atmosphere was cosy mafioso and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good steaks; very goodPatrickVIPDined on 11/23/2013Very good steaks; very good service. This time we had the porterhouse for two which was succulent; their wine reduction was a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very low key steakhouse. RoomyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2013Very low key steakhouse. Roomy and great noise level. Food prep was as good as other larger, more popular steakhouses. Great choice. Not stuffySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Rib-Eye Special and...marleyVIPDined on 11/15/2013... petit filet. Will definitely come back. Open atmosphere still feels cozy.Special Features:
- Reliable mid-town steakAarchman10001Dined on 11/12/2013Sometimes I want to go out for a good steak dinner. Start with some clams oreganata, and then a thick, perfectly-cooked filet mignon and a side of mushrooms and onions. Add a glass of burgundy or a few tall glasses of beer. Nothing experimental, no boundaries pushed. Frankie & Johnnie's always seems to be there, always has a table, and always produces the goods.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/11/2013If you are looking for a New York steakhouse, this is it. The service was a little too slow, but the food was excellent. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and the wine steward was very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there Sat night. Pros TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2013Went there Sat night. Pros The food was good (my bar is very very very high so majority of people will be excited) The waiter was knowledgeable and was able to advise (knew the meat available in details) Cons My first beer was flat and warm - someone decided not to take it so they tabled the pint and gave to me later. I reduced the tip according to the price Bread basket was silly - some crisps and cold buns - not locally made fresh breads as you would expect Overall Quite noisy and touristic (less than might be though) but decent meats and (keep in mind!) draft beers. Service is good. Cocktails were good. Might come back, but not my new favorite steakhouse (again my bar is very high)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.