Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
32 West 37th
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://frankieandjohnnies.com/steakhouses/frankieandjohnnies.html
- Phone: 2129478940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:30pm,; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Pedro Benitez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
Established 1926 Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse is located in the former townhouse of John Barrymore. Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse has a look that is sleek and uncluttered, with a warmth that is inviting to all its guests. The menu is distinguished with its exceptional quality of USDA certified prime dry-aged beef and a secret blend of spices that season every steak before it hits the grill.Continued
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)romantic (29)notable wine list (19)good for groups (16)great for lunch (14)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Tasty ShaftShaftEatsDined on 5/20/2014This was the first time for me at F&J. We went at the end of lunch, so there were very few people in the restaurant. Skipped the appetizer and went straight to the main course. Steak was cooked to perfection. Best garlic mash that I've had in a very long time. We ordered sauteed spinach, even though it wasn't on the menu. That was delicious as well. Even my gin martini was perfect. I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great experienceLad50VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great experience in total. Steaks were great, super service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner pre/post showLauraDined on 5/10/20141st of all, awesome limo service. Food was so good and in generous amount. We had tuna tartare & crab cakes for apps, so good i could eat it all myself. For mains i had the filet mignon with lobster combo, not on menu but just a bit more than the mignon + shrimp scampi. Lobster was so tender and decent sized. Filet mignon was not bad. Plus delicious au gratin potatoes. Very filling. My fiancé had the 16oz sirloin + mashed potatoes i think, basically it's massive and he said was cooked perfectly. Had the creme brûlée for dessert with coffee, it was good. We were in a food coma after, so we walked home. Great restaurant. The service was excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome steakbobby2008Dined on 5/7/2014We ate there on a Wednesday night and it was packed. My wife's steak was perfect and the crab on top was great. The service was also very good. Very friendly staff and we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MicrowaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Mid-Rare Filet was perfectly cooked and seasoned, saffron risotto was fantastic. Lobster bisque was heated in a microwave, chewy lobster and a "hot plate" warning.
- OutstandingDblRDined on 4/28/2014I love this restaurant on W 37th St. been here a few times. There's not much to say but everything is great. The food is great, the service & staff is great, they are friendly and make sure you are okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they do everything rightscottnVIPDined on 4/22/2014greeted warmly, seated immediately, offered drinks and a menu promptly. we came just for drinks and appetizers. great jumbo shrimp cocktail and jumbo lump crabmeat cocktail. great fried calamari. great salads. we've been here before, the steaks are marvelous, Frankie and Johnny chopped salad wonderful, setting comfortable, service great. highly recommend for a very nice venue midtown. (30's between 5th and 6th)Special Features:
- TRIED & TRUEDEB1VIPDined on 4/21/2014Something to be said for consistently good...from the steak to a fish dish.. in a pleasant room where you can hear yourself speak...and the service is top notch! A great place for a celebratory dinner for 2, 4 or 6. Danny will always treat you right!Special Features:
- New dining friendssteakloverDined on 4/21/2014Frankie and Johnie are my new dining friends if I'm looking for great steak and lamb dishes. Conveniently located and the staff was very attentive. We had dinner on a Monday night and the restaurant wasn't crowed at 6:30 pm so I don't know how the servjce would be if the restaurant was crowed. However, our service was great.Special Features:
- Great for a quiet great mealJudyVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of our favorite places for a special night and/or after an afternoon Broadway show. The service and food are extremely good and the restaurant is warm and cozy.Special Features:
- Frankie and Johnnie's, a real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/9/2014I have eaten at Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse many times and I always find the food and services consistently good. It's my 'go to' restaurant when I'm looking for a good steak dinner. They also offer free limo service to the theatre, which is a plus. ISpecial Features:
- Steaks were horrible-tough,JeffreyDined on 4/5/2014Steaks were horrible-tough, overcooked-very very very disappointed service was excellent however.. will never go back
- Most Excellent FoodKathyDined on 3/29/2014I'm not a big steak eater, but was fortunate to enjoy the best chilean sea bass I have ever had! The side salads were quite large and the broccoli on side side was delicious. Did I mention the chilean sea bass was the best ever?!Special Features:
- New York Romance SpotJuliette5060Dined on 3/20/2014HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Their Limousine picked us up from our hotel and brought us to the 37th Street location, which is in what used to be John Barrymore's townhouse- the dining room is in his old study and includes a beautiful working fireplace. The waiters were very attentive and friendly. The food was sensational- particularly the smoked salmon appetizer- but it was all very good. Prices were what you'd expect at any nice restaurant. As we were leaving, the Limo driver pointed out that, if you cross the street & look back at the building, you have a perfect view of the Empire State Building! The driver whisked us back to our hotel; we had a wonderful conversation with him on the way. A perfect end to our trip to the Big Apple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestBirthdaygirlDined on 3/7/2014This was one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long time. The service was excellent. The waiter was hilarious and very engaging. The owner came down to talk to us and was very personable. The Chicken parmesean was excellent. They gave you a lot of food and i even had leftovers. I will definitely go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for NYC Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014Went for NYC Restaurant week -- definitely was a good choice! We got the crab cakes and clam oreganata for appetizers, surf and turf with side orders of creamed spinach and garlic mashed potato, and key lime pie and bread pudding. Crab cakes were better than the clams (which were a little too salty), and the key lime pie was better than the bread pudding but overall all were good. The best was the steak which was absolutely delicious and the sides were as well. Overall food was very satisfying. The waitstaff seemed a little rushed and disorganized because it wasn't like 1 person was waiting on our table. We had multiple people come and ask us what we're ordering (literally like 4 people) so that took away from the experience a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsFoodieDined on 3/6/2014This restaurant is always top of the line. Menu is outstanding and the wine list is great. Wait staff is also great. Love coming back here with friends to catch up with a delightful meal and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with good service.ZoguDined on 3/5/2014Great food with good service. Classic steakhouse with understated decor.Special Features:
- Great meatnyfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014The Chilean Sea Bass and Ribeye were excellent. The side dishes were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceJimandDebDined on 3/1/2014The restaurant was very nice. The service was outstanding. We both had a crab cake for an appatizer, she had pork chops for dinner and I had a steak. We both had key lime pie for desert. We're from the Chesapeake Bay area, so you really have to do something special to make a good crab cake. They were OK, but nothing special. They did have a nice sauce for it. My wife's pork chops were delicious. My filet mignon was not so good. Filet should be butter, cut it with a fork. Mine was tough. Additionally, nothing was hot. Everything was warm, just not hot. So, overall it was a very nice dinner. The food was good, just not great and not hot. The service was outstanding everyone was top shelf and truly cared about their customers. J & D,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very outstanding!2dineforDined on 2/28/2014This Resturant gets an A+ from me. I loved everything about it. From the food to the service. Keep up the great job. See you Again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Want to Go BackJudieFoodieVIPDined on 2/28/2014Zagat's review does not do Frankie and Johnnie's justice. It is classic, not out of vogue. We went for a Restaurant Week dinner, which was superb--Surf and Turf, Crabcake and Key Lime pie for me and Surf and Turf , a wonderful spinach salad, and bread pudding for my husband. All were cooked perfectly, and portions size was normal, not small for RW. We loved sitting in John Barrymore's library near a fireplace. We loved the wood and cozy feel and individual rooms. The waiters were mature, professional and efficient and were friendly but not too familiar. Diners were lingering and making an evening of it. We did not feel the establishment was merely interested in turning tables rapidly. Everything was first-rate. They do not skimp. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014We love Frankie and Johnnies! We go as often as we can, no matter if it's restaurant week or not. This was a restaurant week visit and the food was still outstanding! Service was very good, but they were quite busy so not as great as usual, but still all in all a great experience!Special Features:
- Second time here. ExperienceDanBDined on 2/28/2014Second time here. Experience not as positive as the first time. The ribeye was excessively fatty. Obviously, I expect that cut of meet to have some fat but it was difficult to eat.Special Features:
- Good Food, Not So Good ServiceSharineDined on 2/28/2014I went to Frankie & Johnnies's Steakhouse on 37th Street for NYC Restaurant Week. The food was very tasty and our server was attentive. My dissatisfaction was with the bus boys: the young man that brought back our food after it was wrapped up to go, just abruptly dropped our bag on our table, without saying a word and kept walking. When we got home and took out our to go containers, my husband realized that the three strips of steak that i put on his plate were not there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriend Catch UpskspeteDined on 2/28/2014I met two of my friends there and we had a great time. The menu was varied enough for each of us to order something different and taste-test everyone's plate. The staff was very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My buddy and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014My buddy and I had a great time there. The service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAndrewecklDined on 2/25/2014Excellent food. The service was a little slow but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the food and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2014I loved the food and the service was great- I have no complaintsSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014The menu had more options then the other places during restaurant week was why I chose this place. My group tried everything on this menu and all was DELICIOUS. A bit salty for me since I'm used to no salt but none the less the food was FABULOUSLY cooked. The bread basket also had several options and this too was delicious. I wanted to ask for take-out just for the bread it was that good. I had a lovely time with friends and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJohannaDined on 2/22/2014We went to dinner for Restaurant Week. We had heard good things about Frankie and Johnny's other location in NJ so we wanted to try this one. We were not disappointed. We arrived early and were promptly seated. The wait staff was very attentive. The food arrived within a reasonable amount of time. Everything we ate was very good. There wasn't one thing that we didn't like. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Restaurant Week ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014My brother and I went for lunch because it was restaurant week, it was very good! For a starter we both had the salad, somewhat boring, nothing too special. For the main course we both had the filet, it was very good with the sauce that was on it! The dessert might have been the best! It was a coffee gelato with chunks of chocolate pieces mixed in. VERY GOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always used to going to thewirelesskenDined on 2/20/2014Always used to going to the "other" location in the theater district... Never realized there were other locations in Manhattan. 37rh street is convenient to Penn Station.... and the dining is excellent as always. I brought my daughter... She loves it at both locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week experienceJimboDined on 2/20/2014Great deal, outstanding service and an excellent steak perfectly cooked. Wine was overpriced but so what, everything else was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableCoop1220Dined on 2/19/2014I have dined at this establishment on several occasions. I have enjoyed it each and every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerfyodoreVIPDined on 2/19/2014This was a great dinner. I reserve my 5 stars for restaurants that are the top of the line. This was a great please to have dinner and hope to be back. The staff was particularly great. Always had water, bread, and they let us take our time ordering and didn't rush or delay. The food was great and the fluffer gelato was amazing. I would go back just for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodalexVIPDined on 2/19/2014The dinner was delicious. The service was cold and indifferent ( Restaurant week).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014The food tasted great! The service was very attentive. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak House misstepOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/18/2014I am a major steakhouse enthusiast and I was unimpressed with Frankie and Johnnie's. The staff was snotty and the food wasn't great. Overall, I wish I went to Sparks Steakhouse and got the meal I was expecting.
- simply greatscottnVIPDined on 2/18/2014very nice room, very attentive service, great food. there is nothing complicated here. great steaks, great salads, great side dishes, a very nice wine list.Special Features: