342 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.townhallsf.com/
- Phone: 4159083900
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm; DINNER Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm HAPPY HOUR Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Max Hosey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: I
- Cross Street: Fremont St.
- Public Transit: Muni & BART: Embarcadero station; Muni: 1 California @ Howard, 14 Mission @ Fremont
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Valet parking is made available by Bee Parking for $15 per car during dinner. There is a pay lot on the corner of Spear and Howard.
A word from Town Hall
Town Hall Restaurant is a casual chic restaurant located in SOMA, housed in the historic Meco building, serving New American cuisine with a focus on regional ingredients. At Town Hall, there is a communal table, bar, patio, private room, and beautiful dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Town Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (101)good for groups (70)special occasion (62)great for lunch (56)neighborhood gem (51)hot spot (47)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (30)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Enjoyable Evening of DiningGr8NiteOutDined on 5/10/2014We had 7 pm reservations and arrived early. We were immediately greeted and offered the opportunity to be seated early which we accepted. The staff was very attentive, courteous and respectful. We were seated by an open window which created a cold draft for me. I requested moving to another table or the possibility of closing the window. The staff immediately responded offering either option and quickly remedied the situation. The food was outstanding and the meal was topped off with a complimentary dessert to honor our anniversary. We had an excellent group of servers and all of our needs were anticipated and met before we even had to ask. The manager was cordial and personable. We felt very welcomed and left completely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timeless ClassicsPotreroLadyDined on 5/9/2014The first image that comes to mind from our experience at Town Hall is the stack of 10 smoked spare ribs presented log cabin style on the plate. The structure, an architect's dream; the food, a foodie's delight. Our server was adept at steering us away from choices that might make us unhappy later. The first bourbon drink on the menu mentioned a "bacon infusion" which would interest just about anyone but our server let us know that the overall drink might be too heavy for the overall dinner. He steered us towards a vodka drink laced with cucumbers that proved to be a better choice in hot weather. This red brick anomaly sits on a block full of current and future skyscrapers. You feel very insulated from the march of progress outside.Special Features:
- Delicious!buggie1116Dined on 5/9/2014Came for my 30th bday- perfect place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern fare meets upscale diningchefspoonerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Town hall has great food and better drinks. The bartender is top notch. The mixed ham plate with buttermilk biscuit and pepper jelly is something I dream of. The risotto starter is rich and creamy and the pork tenderloin is perfectly cooked and wrapped in bacon. The fried chicken is moist and crunchy and salty, best with cornbread and potatoes with bacon gravy. Yes.. BACON GRAVY. Desserts are all house made and perfectly rich and just the right blend of sweet and salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Hall is a FavoriteJMSFDined on 5/6/2014I've lived in the neighborhood near Town Hall since it opened and have always been a big fan. Great food, excellent service, and awesome aesthetic. I did notice the fried chicken was missing from the lunch menu and wish they would bring that back. Also the noise level is very high here due to bad acoustics in the dining area.Special Features:
- What a wonderful night!mimiDined on 5/3/2014Went on Saturday to celebrate a birthday. The service was exceptional. Everyone was so friendly and attentive. Each course was delicious to eat and beautiful on the plate. Truly a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always outstandingjaytVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was excelent, especially the ousters. And if you have not had the fried chicken and potatoes & gravy you mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town Hall Rocks!SFTempTransplantVIPDined on 5/3/2014This was my first visit to Town Hall, but it certainly won't be the last. As a new, tempoarary transplant to SF, I'm checking out restaurants. Town Hall is a keeper. My friends and I arrived a bit early, just as the restaurant was about the open. However, the staff was very gracious and accomodated us with drink service. That was a plus, as it gave us time to catch up with each other. Then dinner service began. The food was excellent! The Tennessee ham and tiny, crispy biscuits were amazingly delicious. The fried chicken and short rib entrees also were phenomenal. This place is great and without an ounce of pretention. I can't wait to bring my friends from out of town here.Special Features:
- Highly recommendoutandaboutVIPDined on 5/1/2014A favorite spot to meet my sister when off work. We had the Faith's warm ham and cheese toast, poached egg, jalapeño cream to start. It comes out smothered in the sauce, which was surprising but it was delicious, decadent and satisfying. For our main course we had the buttermilk fried Mary's chicken, broccoli, smashed potatoes, bacon gravy, and the Guinness braised short ribs, smashed potato, tempura asparagus. The fried chicken never disappoints and the ribs were perfectly prepared. Best dessert = pot de creme. If you ask them for the recipe they give it to you on this cute little card. Both bartender and server were friendly without being overbearing. On warm nights sit outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKensingtonKenDined on 5/1/2014The service was phenomenal. We had a business group of 8 and sat in the main dining room. We arrived early (6) and it was not completely full but filled up during the course of our meal. The service was outstanding the lighting and ambiance was excellent. The appetizers were fantastic, especially the ham, which they specialize in and the tuna tartare. The fried chicken was crisp, tasty and not too dry. Excellent. I thought the wine prices and selection were very good. Overall, it was an excellent experience. Everyone left quite pleased.Special Features:
- Raw chickenRawFriedChickenDined on 4/30/2014After I cut into my chicken and seeing it wasn't fully cooked, I sent the entire plate back. Moments later the server came back w my plate w/o the raw piece. I cut into another piece & it too was raw so I sent the entrie plate back again. About 5 minutes later the server brings my plate back and it was obvious the cooks just put the same chicken I had cut into in a deep fryer and over cooked it. The waiter and the host were nice about it & gave us free desserts but I won't be going back to Town Hall again.
- Great Experience!edselloverVIPDined on 4/29/2014Food & service were excellent! Be sure to order the homemade potato chips.Special Features:
- Great ambience, so-so foodpennyDined on 4/29/2014Three of us met for lunch, first time at this spot. My salad was good, but over-dressed. Pasta and veggie dish was reported as good by one companion. Second companion ordered the chicken club and said it was not very good. Service was slow. Yes it was lunchtime, but they were not full and it took a full 35 minutes from being seated to getting the first food served. Ambience was great though. Overall, mediocre food, but nice space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten years and still going strong!luv2bIrishDined on 4/28/2014Four of us for dinner; just out to visit one of San Francisco's fine eating establishments. The veal meatballs are alway off the chart delicious, had a wonderful butter lettuce salad and Faith's warm ham and cheese toast to start the evening. Moved onto Fried Chicken, Duck Confit and Pork Tenderloin and finished with Butterscotch and Chocolate Pot de Creme, Caramelized Banana Icebox Cake and Chocolate Beer and Peanut Butter Cake. Of course, we couldn't finish it all but the desserts were very special creations. Our server was outstanding; sharp, serious and fun; just a little edgy. Thank you for providing us with such a wonderful atmosphere to have fun and enjoy yummy deliciousness! It's just good for the soul!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a repeat visitFoodGoodnessVIPDined on 4/27/2014We have been to Town Hall before but this time the deliciousness of the food shined! Jalepeno cornbread, I love you! The gnocci was so smooth with buttery sagey sauce and lots of herbs. Never tried this dish before but it won't be the last! We struck up a conversation with the neighboring table and they also raved about the food especially the bbq shrimp appetizer. Guess I'll have to come back!Special Features:
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceTownHallFailDined on 4/25/2014The food, as always, was fantastic. Surprisingly, the service was horrible. The waiter was less than friendly. After we ordered, we were talking and suddenly we were abruptly interrupted by the waiter slamming a knife on the table at my setting. Everyone took note, but the waiter didn't say anything and continued about his business. When the food arrived, my appetizer arrived with my friends' entrees. Then their appetizers and my entrée followed two minutes later. All of the sudden, the table was full with appetizers and entrees all at once. Our waiter was stuck up, rude, and unappreciative. As we left, he didn't say a word. He was bad news for the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foreign DelightEJLEDined on 4/24/2014I hosted friends from Eastern and Western Europe who are very fussy eaters and they enjoyed ( as did I) everything we ordered especially the shrimp on toast " that sauce was incredible!" The service was great I liked how the staff helped each other with table service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014It was prefect for a business meeting lunch this past weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; service not okayOpenTableFanVIPDined on 4/24/2014I had been here when Town Hall first opened. The food was very good and the waiter's suggestions were spot on. Unfortunately the service wasn't the best after we ordered. Asked two different people to get our side we had ordered and the waiter didn't check on us very often so we had to keep asking whomever came by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern hospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Having just returned from New Orleans, dining at Town Hall was a delectable way to ease back into San Francisco. And since I was out with a top boss with foodie tendencies visiting from the East Coast, it was imperative the service be exception along with the cuisine. Such was the case. I rarely eat pork but couldn't resist the lure of medallions on a bed of grits with a dark mustard sauce. From the asparagus appetizers to the halibut that my boss relished, portions were ample enough that we couldn't even get to the corn bread. Our server Troy attentively provided insights and service to our very chatty group of five. The noise level overall, though, made it a challenge to converse casually with someone two or more seats away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern-twist comfort foodasdfDined on 4/23/2014Have dined here several times before - but it had been a few years so was worried that it might not be as good as I recalled. I was not disappointed, they haven't missed a step. The food is great, and Faith's warm ham and cheese toast alone is worth the trip. It is noisy, and busy, and crowded, but we had no trouble having a conversation across the table. Best to make reservations. Will return on my next trip to San Francisco.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Town HallHungryVIPDined on 4/23/2014I eat here all of the time and this time I ordered one of the salads and it came and was very small. I was hungry when i finished. I will still go back as I love it there. Always consistent and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing San Francisco restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014Food is amazing, lighting - amazing, service - great, wine - great, overall experience?.... Recommend to everyone! Perfect for a romantic SF date night out on the townSpecial Features:
- JohnDined on 4/18/2014Had a great birthday party for dinner. Ribs and spicy stew were really god.Special Features:
- A welcome changegardengal1565Dined on 4/17/2014So refreshing to find something other than Ethnic or California Cuisine. While not being overly Southern, the influence was clear and delicious. Our party of 4 tried a few of their signature cocktails (overpriced), signature appetizer, Shrimp on Toast, and desserts that non of us wanted to share. The Shrimp appetizer was the highlight for all of us. Two had the Shortribs; one liked, one didn't. The Pork Tenderloin was very good, but a bit heavy on the meat. We would have preferred more than a few bites of greens and the grits were yummy, but seemed like just a smear on the plate. While we had been warned that the service was poor, we had a great experience.....only complaint was that we felt rushed a couple of times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 4/17/2014Great casual dining with great wine list and really good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!RoseVIPDined on 4/14/2014My first time to Town Hall and I'm definitely coming back! We shared the tuna tartare with fried green tomatoes and a butter leaf salad with blue cheese and candied pecans. Both were very flavorful...I could have eaten the entire tuna tartare as my dinner. My friends had the gnocchi and I had the seafood stew (awesome if you can handle spicy). Both entrees were exceptional and very flavorful...taste buds are very active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/12/2014This was our second dinner at Town Hall and we liked as much or more on this second trip as we did the first. Great bar and very good food! The wait staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about ingredients, food preparation, and wine. Great choice and I'd return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014We went as a family to dinner here and were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent, the service was good too. It was very noisy and somewhat hard to hear each other, but overall a vibrant place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noiseMaryjaneDined on 4/12/2014When you cannot hear the person next to you talk it was not enjoyable. Menu did not have enough of a verity. Came for their duck and that night they Did not have it on the menu. We had their chicken and the chicken was warm the mash potatoes were cold along with the gravy. Would not go back.
- The Service was ImpressiveJimJVIPDined on 4/12/2014I appreciated our waiter taking time to stop by and chat about food and drink choices in a very relaxed manner even though we could see that he was serving several tables...food is always very interesting...and well pricedSpecial Features:
- Great dinner menu and terrificTomJDined on 4/10/2014Great dinner menu and terrific service. Just the right amount of attention. TomSpecial Features:
- Great service. InterestingFatty4FoodDined on 4/9/2014Great service. Interesting and yummy food. Great ambiance whether for lunch or dinner, work or pleasure. Would totally recommend Town Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formal to Giants JerseyUpfromSantaCruzDined on 4/8/2014This was a wonderful dining experience. The menu changes often so not all food items shown on the website were available that night but there were plenty of other options. The entree portions were large and nicely presented. We also tried a few of the side dishes including the jalapeño cornbread that is served In a small cast iron pan. The room was very noisy with diners enjoying themselves. This would not be a good place to go for a quiet dinner especially if you were hard of hearing. People were dressed from suit and ties to Giants jerseys as we went for dinner at 7 after Opening Day at the ballpark. We had a fantastic meal and the service was wonderful! We will return to try other food items we missed the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2014Celebrated our 10 year anniversary for the 10th year In a row at Town Hall. Thanks to everyone at Town Hall, from the minute we walked in the door until we left with great contentment, for making our anniversary so very special. The congratulations throughout the night from all of the staff; the always amazing food that delighted our palates; the mouthwatering chocolate butterscotch pot de creme and special dessert are all what keep us coming back year after year. Thank you Town Hall!Special Features:
- great for groups!lindaliverDined on 3/25/2014Good food, good coctails, lots of choices but really deafeningly noisy because they have so many tables pushed together for large groups...several large groups shouting makes for lots of noise!! Luckily we were 30 minutes late for our Tues. night reservation and our table had been given away but we got seated right away on their covered, heated porch which worked so much better for our threesome. Fun and different!!Special Features:
- WowMikeSrVIPDined on 3/24/2014This has always been a great place, but tonight they "forgot about us and it took forever for food to get to table. We ended up taking it to go.Special Features:
- Delicious and ConsistentDWinSFVIPDined on 3/20/2014Town Hall always offers a delicious meal. Food is consistently good with nice variety of options. Great spot to take friends from out of town. New menu items are a nice change. We had a very knowledgeable and pleasant waiter this visit as wellSpecial Features:
- Bad ServerJessVIPDined on 3/19/2014Nice Old San Francisco atmosphere and good Southern-inspired food. The evening was marred by our wait person's repeated efforts to up-sell us on the menu, pointing out expensive wines and "warning" us against beginning with lesser priced starters. It made us wonder what was going on at first, then finally realizing what he was doing.Special Features:
- birthday dinner @ THnormgracerDined on 3/18/2014Service was great; the mood played well; and food measured up.Special Features: