1788 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corsoberkeley.com/
- Phone: 5107048004x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Eastman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Cross Street: Delaware
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart is a 5 minute walk.
AC Transit bus service travels the length of Shattuck Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking on Shattuck Ave. Unmetered 2 hour parking available on side streets - Delaware and Francisco.
A word from Trattoria Corso
Corso is the sister restaurant of Rivoli Restaurant, which Chef/Owner Wendy Brucker & GM/Owner Roscoe Skipper opened in 1994. Corso is a casual trattoria featuring the simple, rustic food of Florence, with a full bar & an all-Italian wine list. We serve dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Corso - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Trattoria Corso reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (151)neighborhood gem (143)special occasion (92)romantic (57)notable wine list (55)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (15)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- GrumpyDined on 6/5/2014My favorite spot in Berkeley....know one of the co-owners....the food is frightfully good and changes regularly.....they run Rivoli as well.....a lot of causal neighborly friendliness....Special Features:
- Amazing food, friendly staffWinoFoodie34Dined on 6/4/2014I booked a reservation for my mother's birthday and mentioned that I wanted it to be special for her. We arrived and the maitre'd'ensured that we were seated at a lovely window table. Our server immediately checked on us and offered us Pelligrino and the menu/wine list. We ordered a carafe of Sangiovese from Tuscany that was incredible, their wine list is truly inspiring. The food was incredible, it was plated beautifully and the flavors were amazing. I recommend the "Crostini di Fegato," and for the more adventurous, "Trippa a Florentina." They brought my mother a birthday panna cotta that tasted like the panna cotta we had in Italy itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Perfect!KrisVIPDined on 5/31/2014Corso is a pure delight: the food is perfect and the service friendly, helpful and efficient. I can't think of a thing to change. Every meal I'm enjoyed there has been memorable and I'm excited to return, soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Berkeley restaurantGloryDined on 5/29/2014My favorite Berkeley restaurant. I don't much like going out anymore because it's too noisy and expensive and often disappointing. I'm a good cook and would rather stay home, enjoy the view and listen to jazz. Corso is the exception: excellent food, reasonable prices and great service. I ask for a quiet table, since I like to talk with my companion, and have always gotten one, though the restaurant is usually full and can be noisy if you are sitting in the middle of it. Feels like my local bistro, as in Roma or Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemdalfeVIPDined on 5/27/2014Excellent Italian style food, better than many other local Italian restaurants I can think of; service was exceptional - impressed that waiter offered to decant wine we brought for the occasion; also appreciate the $15 corkage fee as most restaurants charge more. Our waiter was charming and friendly... My only gripe is that the portions seemed small - granted we all ordered primi (pasta) dishes which in Italy would be a first course, but as a main course they could have been a little larger. Also enjoyed the side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJukie888Dined on 5/26/2014Very enjoyable experience there. Good food, although the portions are somewhat smaller. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than FlorencerajaDined on 5/23/2014Although there is great Florentine food, many of the restaurants in Florence itself disappointed on our last trip. Corso, which bills itself as Florentine, was better than most of the restaurants we ate at there. If you like the bread in Florence, you won't find it served here: this bread was better also.Special Features:
- Always goodLocal30VIPDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant is our "go to" spot whenever we want a nice meal out. The shrimp risotto was particularly great...hoping they make it a regular menu item!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1034 reviews are from the Trattoria Corso reviews archive.
- yes, there can be TOO MUCH BUTTEROpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/18/2014while the items we ordered were potentially tasty, pretty much everything would have benefited by being LESS buttery/oily. I doubt I will go back, though I really wanted to like the place.
- Wonderful all around!FoodieheavenDined on 5/16/2014Trattoria Corso is a wonderful place for any occasion, the food is world class, the service is wonderful, and the price is reasonable. You will never have a single thing that does not taste amazing there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rng1101VIPDined on 5/16/2014Loved the selection of wine ! I had to order the trippa ala florentina, as I am a big fan of this dish. It was yummy, although a bit spicier than I would have liked. My whole roasted branzino was wonderful. My husband enjoyed his pasta with pork and beef ragu. I forget out our server's name (he has a mustache and we had a table by the window) ... but he gave wonderful recommendations for wine, my prosecco, the white wine to complement my fish, and my husband's rosato. We really enjoyed the panna cotta with creme fraiche and berry compote - one of the best i've every tasted. We were celebrating our 21st anniversary and picked the right spot. We'll be back for bisteca florentina. :)Special Features:
- great placeAnneDined on 5/12/2014Food here is very good. Fun to sit at the bar. They've finally reduced the noise level, which had been unbearable. Could still be better, though. Staff very friendly and helpful, though our waiter didn't really know much about the wine list but acted as if he did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Florence in BerkeleyLoriPDined on 5/12/2014Great homestyle Italian cooking. The Tagliatelle al Sugo is to die for (a nice "appetizer" if you split it). The Branzino is cooked to perfection. The budino al cioccolato is a little bit of chocolate heaven. Service is impeccable, some of the best we've seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a solidly good dining experiencerob3016Dined on 5/7/2014the food was good, neither remarkable, nor blah. the service was good, yet lacked graciousness. the waiter seemed perturbed when we requested to taste wines he recommended prior to purchasing a bottle. i will continue to think of corso as a go to restaurant as it is a consistently good fare at reasonable prices. Both our main courses were good, yet lacked any wow. I thought their flour less chocolate cake was delicious. yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- storefront gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The place is small, and tables are simple. Food is topnotch and our waiter was outstanding. Wine list was notable as carefully chosen and available in various carafe sizes. Open kitchen occupies back of the room and the place is bustling, but we had no problem conversing across the table. We got a reservation the same day.Special Features:
- Deliciously curated menuzukefreshVIPDined on 4/28/2014Expected a small and well curated menu with a very knowledgeable staff. Preparation and presentation are both outstanding. Just don't expect to have an intimate conversation, it's best to just enjoy the food as you gesticulate to each other about how good it is.Special Features:
- Corso revisitNancylizVIPDined on 4/27/2014My husband and I had dinner at Corso a year or two ago, using a gift certificate from our son. On that visit, the food was incredible and the service was amazing. On our recent visit, there were four of us, and we shared some of the dishes we remembered loving before (e.g., the polenta). While the food was good, it didn't "wow" us like the first time, and our server was not nearly as attentive (e.g., forgetting we had ordered a bottle of wine after some discussion with her about which bottle to order). Maybe it was just an off night...Special Features:
- New Jersey turnpike diner serviceWCFoodieDined on 4/26/2014I've been going to Corso for years. It has been one of my favorite restaurants for the romantic atmosphere and good food. This will be my last time as there are many better restaurants in the area from Comal to Camino. The food has seen a profound downward slide from where it was several years ago. The poor service is what ruins the meal, however. From stopping by every 90 seconds with, "I'm here for ya if you need me" to the "Hey, I didn't run your card" chasing after us as we were walking out. Oddly, one of the other servers had run my card and hadn't told him. Never have I had someone chase me down with a "Hey, you didn't pay".Special Features:
- Innovative, delicious foodscottybDined on 4/25/2014The chicken liver pate on toast was exquisite -- chunky and rich and delicious. We shared a whole grilled sea bass, which was perfectly cooked, simple and delicious. And as we were unexpectedly squeezed for time, the restaurant pulled this off graciously in 50 minutes. I wish we'd had three times as long to enjoy this fine place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We like itmccalmoVIPDined on 4/20/2014Simple food but good. Effective service. Nice wines.Special Features:
- Nice placeMightcomebackorNotDined on 4/14/2014No table available even when we had a reservation. The tbone steak is juicy but chewy. Quite expensive for mediocre food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!cherie123Dined on 4/13/2014Corso never disappoints and I think it keeps getting better and better. Pasta and Florentine steak are my usual but this time I tried the fried artichokes which were better than anything Rome had to offer! Fried chicken was amazing and hope they make it a regular on the menu. Cherry sundae for dessert was a perfect way to end a perfect dinner!Special Features:
- LucyLucyDined on 4/12/2014I have been to this restaurant many times and I have always had excellent meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014Excellent choice for dinner before performance at Zellerbach. A bit of a walk, but worth the effort. Had the sole and my granddaughter had gnocchi. Appetizers to dessert all tasty with efficient service in crowded room. Every table occupied with guests waiting. Friendly welcome despite my arriving late for my reservation due to miscalculating the walk. I will look,forward to another visit when in Berkeley. Found it on the Internet looking for restaurants near the Zellerbach. Thank you!Special Features:
- Overwhelmingly 'pretty good'UrsaMinorDined on 4/2/2014It was an overwhelmingly "pretty good" experience: the food, the service (although we had real trouble understanding one server), the ambiance (dark and loud, but not overwhelmingly so). It was a bit pricey for a casual "hey, let's eat out" time -- about ninety dollars with tip but not wine for two -- but we'll return sometime for a special occasion.Special Features:
- authentic and fresh northernwabi47Dined on 4/2/2014authentic and fresh northern italian options; loved the branzino, the wild boar ragu, and the friendly service/ambiance......beats most of the local italian spots in the east baySpecial Features:
- ExcellentBonfireDined on 4/1/2014lovely from beginning to end, excellent service, was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceTspoonVIPDined on 3/30/2014My wife and I wanted to have a nice meal before a show at the Zellerbach. Corso came through. She enjoyed the bass and I had the flat iron steak. The waiter was very helpful in making sure we were done in time to make the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below expectationsoaklandishDined on 3/28/2014I always read the Fair and below reviews to get a balanced opinion. I was disappointed. Had the asparagus soup and Little Gem Salad. The soup was great. The fresh tarragon dressing was superb but the radishes were quartered the same as the carrots; who is expecting a big, crunchy mouthful of peppery radish? Odd choice of preparation from the salad prep. Entrees were sadly underwhelming. The brick chicken thigh was the puniest I've ever had in a restaurant and it came with a pile - yes, an actual pile - of overcooked broccolini. I instead ate the grilled asparagus, which was delicious. I most likey wil not return nor recommend. I would prefer a more straightforward menu that sticks to it's supposed Tuscan roots. Ps: our server was terrific.Special Features:
- Good food and excellent serviceblaineDined on 3/23/2014We shared salumi for an appetizer. Good, but not great. In the US, however, just having salumi is fantastic. Our contorni -- one spinach and one asparagus -- were both excellent. Both pastas were fine. My sauce was excellent, although the pappardelle could have been cooked a little less. I plan to eat there again. One of us arrived with backpack and computer case. The staff offered good, secure storage, which we declined, but appreciated. While the gear presented a few challenges for everyone, it all worked out. Again, that is a sign of real service. Some people have observed that I sometimes understate things. If I say good, I mean worthwhile and I don't say it often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food, rocky servicejat237Dined on 3/22/2014Best gnocchi I've ever had. All around, the food was spectacular. My server forgot my side dish, though, and then ignored me for a long period. The manager came to apologize and gave me a free side and dessert, so I appreciated that. Despite the hiccup, I would definitely go back for the incredible menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodGerhardDined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent and all the dishes, we had different primis, secondis and desserts and all were absolutely delicious, ! I can absolutely recommend that restaurant. The service was attentive, helpful and very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceElliotFSVIPDined on 3/21/2014I'd heard of this restaurant for years, but never ventured. I finally bit the bullet, and Corso lived up to the hype. The veal chop was amazing and our server was very attentive and helpful. The atmosphere was lively but not overtly. Great for intimate dining. I will revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine food, great winealexVIPDined on 3/15/2014Really freh pasta, love the half glass of wine options. Just wish they would change their menu more often to include seasonal ingredients.Special Features:
- Dependably goodLocal30VIPDined on 3/14/2014Corso has become our neighborhood place. We always like the menu and the way food is prepared. Manager is around and personable, making it feel very friendly and responsive. It always feels like a great way to kickoff the weekend by rewarding us with a nice meal out on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Constantly amazingMartymazVIPDined on 3/13/2014I have dinner at Corso a couple times a month. It is always at least 4 star and occasionally 5 star, which is not a rating I give freely or often. Last night was 5 star for all four of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodtheatergoerDined on 3/12/2014I had a mid-week dinner here with a family member. We both found the food extremely tasty and nicely presented without being fussily over-adorned. Service was attentive and professional. One possible drawback for some: portions were on the skimpy side vis-à-vis price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experienceNickDined on 3/9/2014We loved the experience and asking for a quiet table to celebrate our anniversary did help. We DID get what we thought was the best table in the house for a romantic evening. The food was excellent, we enjoyed every course. The deep fried chicken breast was really good. I was skeptical at first when I saw it floating in a bath of butter, but one bite and I was hooked on it. We weren't that crazy about the service. It was OK, but the staff waiting on us just had the worst timing this evening. They would show up at our table right in the middle of our conversations and while we let the first few go, it did become a little disruptive as the evening went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backNordoVIPDined on 3/8/2014Everything was exceptional - can't wait to go back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corso is still wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/23/2014Corso is still wonderful. The chicken liver with capers and sage bruschetta was just to die for! The grouper with pesto was not nearly as special as the branzino I usually order. Our waiter was interested and attentive and made a fantastic recommendation of two wines that were excellent on their own but also really paired well with our different courses. He also brought us complimentary amaretti with a birthday candle - really, really nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.