1788 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corsoberkeley.com/
- Phone: 5107048004x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Eastman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Cross Street: Delaware
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart is a 5 minute walk.
AC Transit bus service travels the length of Shattuck Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking on Shattuck Ave. Unmetered 2 hour parking available on side streets - Delaware and Francisco.
A word from Trattoria Corso
Corso is the sister restaurant of Rivoli Restaurant, which Chef/Owner Wendy Brucker & GM/Owner Roscoe Skipper opened in 1994. Corso is a casual trattoria featuring the simple, rustic food of Florence, with a full bar & an all-Italian wine list. We serve dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria Corso - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Trattoria Corso reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (165)neighborhood gem (156)special occasion (97)romantic (59)notable wine list (59)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (17)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great Italian in BerkeleymoreofeverythingpleaseDined on 8/22/2014Can't go wrong on the menu here, everything they turn out is tasty. If they have Osso Buco on your night, get it. Whenever they have something strange (to me) on the menu, like tripe salad with mint, I go for it and it's always delicious. Their sides are excellent too, especially the polenta. Bummed that I haven't seen tomato bread soup on the menu lately. Been here five times or so and will happily continue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Corse of Dishes at CORSOSFoodLoGiKDined on 8/22/2014Great interior, comfortable tables are well spaced so diners do not disturb/overhear people at the next table. The menu is excellent with a lot of rare or unusual choices. The appetizers are very good and very nicely presented. Those who shy away from the tripe salad would miss a delicious dish. The duck liver mouse and the chicken liver pate were superb. The branzino, the sausage and the steak were superb, the pork chop was better than in most restaurants. The roasted chicken breast is just a superb, unparalleled masterpiece. The desserts match the quality of the food. This restaurant is a very worthy competitor to any of the top restaurants in SF. The prices are somewhat lower then in SF and the servings are large.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in BerkeleySherwoodDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, great service, wonderful ambiance. We go there often.Special Features:
- Great dinner here!ATLdinerDined on 8/19/2014Recommended by a colleague so stopped by here one Tuesday night. Server was super helpful in pointing out her favorites and general customer favorites. We followed her direction and had an awesome dinner.Special Features:
- in the top 5SFbornandraisedDined on 8/18/2014Hadn't heard much about this small restaurant in Berkeley but it has killer food. Made it into my top 5 restaurants in bay area. Had the Yellowtail and Kale salad (the best) plus their improvement on Affogato - chocolate, espresso and bourbon - what a great way to make something perfect better.Special Features:
- Pasta!OaktownDinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014This is the second time in a month I've dined at Trattoria Corso. My 91-year-old Italian mother loves this place--and believe me she knows Italian food! First the service here is personable, friendly, and very knowledgeable. I've had the same waitperson both times and she's fabulous. She knows the menu and wine list, and steered us to the best selections. For me, "Trattoria Corso" is synonymous with "fresh pasta". In my opinion, it's the best pasta in the Bay Area--cooked to a perfect al dente. The perfect meal for me is the house-made salumi plate (amazing), a simple salad, and pasta with a beef or lamb ragu. And of course, a hearty glass of red wine!Special Features:
- Elegant but unpretentiousAnonymousVIPDined on 8/16/2014Corso consistently provides great meals that really show off the flavors of the ingredients rather than peddling some gimmicky menu. The crowd is mixed and tends toward the casual side, but I think the ambiance is suitable for "special occasion" meals. Good wine and cocktail selection. Service is helpful and attentive, but also low key.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but noisypetalsDined on 8/16/2014The food was very good, but it was hard to have a conversation. The tables are very close together and it was very loud. It is worth going back for the food.Special Features:
- Quite good for big groupBambotDined on 8/14/2014Had a party here and the waiter was very professional. It was a really good experience. I don't usually like Italian food so i can't comment on the food. I liked the ones I ordered. They were really savory but not something id eat everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateDined on 8/10/2014Service was very good, but the food was disappointing, as well as cold when served.
- Great food, service disappointingCapitoladiner2Dined on 8/8/2014Overall it was good, but I would try somewhere else next time I am in Berkeley. The food was excellent although the portions were small. if you are really hungry order first and 2nd plates. I asked for corkage ($20) kind of high. When I brought out my bottle, no one was anywhere around to pour it, I had to ask for service. We only saw our waitperson at the beginning and end of our meal. Where did she go? I hope they share the tips. We ordered our food, it was there in about 10 minutes - whoa - that was fast! But we weren't in a hurry. It took so long to get a glass of wine poured I had to stop eating in order to have any food to enjoy the wine with! Service should have been better. The Budino was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy, but good foodwjg1Dined on 8/8/2014too noisy. why is the Opentable 'noise' category only topping out at 'energetic'?? that's absurd. Too much noise is downright ENERVATING. That is, it robs us of energy to have to shout to our friends to be heard!! This isn't the only too-noisy restaurant in San Francisco. But OpenTable gives us no way to identify ANY of them appropriatelySpecial Features:
- BkdefendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Drove from San Francisco for this meal. Now every time I am in San Francisco I will always make that drive. T Bone the best I have had in 10 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corso - 08/02/14BubbaDined on 8/2/2014We brought a party of 6 to the restaurant. The food, service and ambience were outstanding. We look forward to dining at Corso on our next trip to Berkeley.Special Features:
- good findmojoDined on 7/31/2014Recommended by a local, Corso was all my traveling friends and I could wish. My friends, lovers of fine food, were delighted and impressed with their selections. I have to follow a very restricted diet, so they put together a perfectly plain tagliatelle, very tasty, and steamed greens. Our waiter was very helpful. We loved the feeling of the place.Special Features:
- great time!gottaeatDined on 7/30/2014We showed up a little early and they seated us right away, and after that everything was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian Restaurantanders59Dined on 7/30/2014Our group gave mixed reviews to the menu items we tried. The bruschetta was terrific. One of the pasta dishes was fantastic. And, the other was just okay. The carafe of wine was very good. It would be nice if the menu described the different dishes a little more thoroughly. The one negative was how close the tables are to one another. It is impossible to have a private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria CorsoBin38Dined on 7/27/2014This was my 2nd time there in a month. Both times, I enjoyed 1/2 of the Florentine Steak (it's big- so we shared it). It was just like I remember in Florence in Dec 2007. Wait help was very attentive. We felt a sense of welcome there. There's a 'good feeling' within the place. Food is awesome.Special Features:
- I couldn't stop eatingpabloDined on 7/25/2014The food was so tasty and the waitstaff were so attentive and helpful that I could not stop eating the hand-made pasta, home-made sausage, and the best polenta I've ever had. And I couldn't stop drinking the delicious and innovative cocktails or sampling the wine. I had to pull myself away in a half drunken stupor caused mostly by the overwhelming feelings of culinary bliss I had just experienced. This place is serious and seriously exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDaveiDined on 7/24/2014Everything about our experience was quite enjoyable. Food was delicious, 4 of us split 2 pastas as starters, ordered bistec fiorentina, pollo al burro, sous vide pork loin with plums (special), and grilled whole fish. Hard to decide which was best but the pork and chicken were particularly good. Our waiter Nicholas was outstanding and picked us two memorable wines. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions are tiny and disappointingKim813Dined on 7/24/2014I normally don't expect huge portions at this type of Italian restaurant, but the $16 pasta dish that I ordered was tiny and definitely not worth the $16 price tag. I'm a pretty petite person, but this dish would not even satisfy a child's appetite. It was an appetizer portion at best. I was done in about four bites and left very hungry. Although the shrimp and spaghetti were cooked well, the butter based sauce lacked flavor and ended up being oily. I had to eat a slice of pizza at Cheeseboard down the street. My husband's salmon wasn't cooked through. Usually, I don't mind fish being cooked rare or medium rare, but it depends on the type of fish. They didn't even ask how we wanted it cooked and it didn't specify on the menu.
- You must order the salumi!!OaktownDinerVIPDined on 7/20/2014I had a very enjoyable meal with my family here. It's an intimate place, and if you're like me, it's easy to enjoy the activity of the kitchen. The service was great. Very attentive and well choreographed. Food was more than great, and I really enjoyed the pasta. Minor flaw but easily fixable: I asked for a premium dry martini and got a drink with way too much vermouth. The cured meats here are fantastic and not to be missed. Better than Italy. This is a sister restaurant of Rivoli (I used to be a big fan of Rivoli but somewhere along the line they lost their mojo), so it's great to see Trattoria Corso thriving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subtle changes to ambiance.ThreeToGoVIPDined on 7/20/2014No more foreign films shown at the bar unfortunately. It really added so much to the ambiance that it is really a shame. Also, the formatting change to the menu similarly reduced the quaint nature of the restaurant. Food and service remain outstanding however.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, great food!ValerieDined on 7/19/2014I was in the market for a restaurant that had great food and a cozy, date-worthy ambiance and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! We were seated by the window (always a plus) and had the friendliest, well-timed service so our conversation was never cut short. The food came out quickly and it was absolutely delicious (the eggplant appetizer and the beef/pork tagliatelle were amazing). Large wine menu as well.Special Features:
- Still GreatCanuckChefDined on 7/18/2014I had not been to Trattoria Corso for many years. The food and dining experience was just as great as I remembered. I plan on returning much more frequently.Special Features:
- At CorsobobbyBEADined on 7/15/2014A fine place, lots of care. Lively, a little noisy. The cocktails could be somewhat more imaginative, but the food is imaginative. Too bad they aren't open for lunch -- I would go more frequently. Conveniently located in Berkeley, enough street parking.Special Features:
- Great Dinner2TravelersDined on 7/14/2014We had a table for four. Great food a knowledgeable and attentive waiter and atmosphere that allowed a night of quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodGloryDined on 7/13/2014getting a bit more expensive but still excellent and they aim to please on the menu, the farro which accompanied the duck leg was said to be seasoned with coriander it tasted like cilantro to me, which i actively dislike they took my plate away, gave me a new duck leg on a bed of braised kale, which was delicious
- nanaDined on 7/12/2014We took friends who had never been to Corso before and they loved it as well and will, I'm sure, return. My friend has difficulty walking and uses crutches. The host was exceptionally kind to her and it was much appreciated.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014This is my second time at the restaurant, and the food was even better than I remembered. We had the bean soup, spaghetti with prawns, and the pan fried chicken leg. All were delicious. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Great food using quality ingredients, excellent drinks and wine,very reasonable for the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem.Local30VIPDined on 7/11/2014It is our "go-to" spot and once again, it did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014This was a brithday celebration. We had been to Corso three or four times over the years. The food is just as excellent as always. The wine we ordered had problems: the first bottle was definitely corked and the second bottle brought still was a bit musty, but drinkable. The staff cared that we were pleased with food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2014We went to Corso to celebrate my husbands birthday. The food was delicious, the service was great and the pacing of the meal let us enjoy our night without being rushed or waiting between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious. DelightfulBellyfull28Dined on 7/7/2014Meat is delicious! People lovely. Veggies and appetizers tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousjfhsVIPDined on 7/6/2014Great from start to finish. Attentive service, worthy of the finest restaurants. Over the top excellent Italian food. Portion sizes just right. This place has it all down!Special Features:
- still very goodMojoDined on 7/5/2014The Italian-inspired California cuisine remains very good, especially the pan-roasted chicken and the vegetable sides. This place is a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would return in a heartbeatSorrywewentDined on 7/1/2014First time there. Very interesting menu, great food and wine. Our waiter was very attentive and oh so patient as we lingered over every choice and eventually closed down the restaurant - excellent service. A bit noisy, but all good energy.Special Features:
- Great time for a group of sixfoodie747VIPDined on 6/29/2014I always worry about a group larger than 4 at any restaurant, but not so with Corso on a recent dinner for six. We decided to share all of our choices, not just the small plates. The waiter was very accommodating, bring lots of clean small plates to permit the sharing of second and third course offerings. As always, all of the offerings were well-seasoned and interesting. Several of the guests were out of towners, and they loved the unique offerings and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Another great dining experiencefrequentdinerDined on 6/28/2014The food was great and our server, Nick was very special. We never felt pressured to finish. We lingered over all our courses and had a very enjoyable dining experience. We definitely will be back.Special Features: