Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: 5406876301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Red Fox Inn - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)romantic (74)neighborhood gem (64)great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (45)great for outdoor dining (42)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (40)good for groups (22)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great ambiance and tavern food!mogleyDined on 5/10/2014I loved dining outside on the back patio with the plethora of flowers and landscaping. While rain was threatening, they told us that if it started, we would be reseated in the top part of the tavern which was fine with me. The food was quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. Once we were done, we took a walk around the upstairs looking at the beautiful paintings. I would love to come back on a cold winter night and sit inside the tavern as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice outdoor settingnicknameVIPDined on 5/9/2014patio was relaxing and roomy - food was fresh and well prepared - although restaurant is located in very commercial are, we easily found parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatingletsvegoutDined on 5/3/2014Beautiful restaurant. The food is really good, vegetarian friendly, great staff and portion size is what you would expect for the price.Special Features:
- Diners' Comfort LevelDisconcertedDined on 5/3/2014We asked for a quiet corner, at 5:30 the place was empty, so they put us in a nice quiet corner, and then, the next 5 minutes brought a party of 4 and sat them right next to us while the entire place was empty, then 5 minutes later they added another couple right next to us??? I think they could have honored our request by giving us more time to be in a quiet little corner before the place got packed, they did have the option, but apparently did not concern themselves with our quiet little corner request?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice break from shoppingGatorinManassasDined on 5/3/2014The Red Fox Inn has a lot of history behind it, and keeps with the "Hunting Lodge" theme on the menu. We opted to eat on the outdoor patio, the heaters provided enough warmth to take the chill out of the air on this early May evening. The waiter was very courteous and knowledgeable; he let my wife know that they were running low on the Salmon and would check to see if there was any left. Apparently he beat out the other waitress ordering the last serving because she came back and told the table next to us that they were out. Overall, a wonderful close to a delightful day in and around Middleburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn May 2014oppdinesoutDined on 5/3/2014Great food, loved the duck wrap as an appetizer. Portion size great. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Plan to return.Special Features:
- Dissatified!1RTBDined on 5/2/2014I asked my waiter to check on whether the grilled trout was gluten-free. He did check and told me it was. However, turns out it wasn't. Bad news for the Red Fox Inn - I don't appreciate the chef lying to me!
- FOXY!!frankiDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I just had the best time at the "Red Fox Inn!" What a treat to have lunch in a 286 year old (1728) establishment...built to last! Absolutely the best sweet potato fries ev-ah!! frankiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar SceneappreciatedguestDined on 4/29/2014The bar scene does not intrude on other people's dining experience. Good selections of wines, liquor, brandy, scotch, mixes, and beers. It is a place where one can sit and enjoy a good meal at their leisure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn Tavern is super!EDWfromChantillyDined on 4/28/2014Our group was at table for four and sat next to the fireplace which was very nice! The server was knowledgeable and friendly, good selection on the menu and the food was prepared superbly. A very historic setting for dinner! Was surprised at to how busy it was on a Monday night and rather loud, but a great place to eat! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Top 10 Favorite RestaurantAngelDined on 4/27/2014Here are the reasons why we gave a 5 star rating: We were greeted with friendly, welcoming smiles upon entering. The ambience was beautiful,warm and cozy which made us feel comfortable. The menu choices had such a wide array of choices that were appealing to our palates. The waitress was very professional and knowledgeable about the entrees and provided recommendations upon request. The entrees were served hot with a beautiful presentation, great quantity and DELICIOUS !! We will certainly be back and would most definitely recommend this 5 star Restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Great ambience and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014We were there on a Sunday for brunch. Food was very good, but there was a very noisy group of diners beside our table. Not the fault of the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the expenseFoodieDined on 4/24/2014Our waiter read all the specials. When I asked him to tell me about the peanut soup he responded that it was made with peanuts. He said people asked all the time and that The recipe was printed on cards at the Inn. A good waiter would know the ingredients. He didn't seem to care.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/20/2014Excellent service and outstanding food. We will definitely be returning for the Mother's Day brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014A bit noisy; yes, I know acoustics are poor in centuries-old stone buildings. Food - excellent! Including presentation. But a tad over-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!JohnDined on 4/20/2014Excellent Brunch. Great ambience, great food and excellent service. The wife and I eat there as often as we can. Their brunch was superb! Highly recommend eating any meal here!Special Features:
- ClassicBillybobDined on 4/18/2014An ancient tavern where George Washington dined in revolutionary times. Very good food with a surprisingly good list of local Virginia wines. We worth a trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ServiceJeffVIPDined on 4/17/2014During our dinner at the restaurant, as well as our stay at the Inn, we experienced exceptionally friendly and attentive service. That made our visit to Middleburg all the more enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine Lunch on a Fine Spring DayRestonVIPDined on 4/12/20144 of us thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Two of us had the pulled pork sandwiches - the abundant pork was tender and the sauce had an excellent "vinegary" pop. The crab cake platter and the trout were also enjoyed, and the grits that came with the crab cakes were devoured with gusto. The service was friendly and attentive. We hadn't been to the Red Fox Inn for a year or so, and I'd have to say that the food was better than when we'd been there before! We will be back.Special Features:
- Always lovelyBisouDined on 4/11/2014A Middleburg staple, wondrous for out-of-town guests.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindBartDined on 4/10/2014My wife and I found the Red Fox to be an outstanding destination for lunch. We drove from Annapolis to enjoy the Virginia countryside and enjoy lunch at the Red Fox, Our lunch was among the top 5 lunches we have ever had ... anywhere. The trout entree was superb. Our waitperson was terrific, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and amazing food!RkrowDined on 4/9/2014We love coming here and always bring out of town guests here to eat. We've never had a bad experience and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The rustic ambiance is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014The rustic ambiance is great. Food, classic American and TexMex also. Ample choices.Special Features:
- Perfect!KennDined on 4/8/2014I took my sweetheart here for a special occasion hoping everything would be perfect and it was. The food, the atmosphere and the service made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningHelen1946Dined on 4/5/2014Everyone was friendly. Service was spot on. The food was very good and the atmosphere was perfect. We plan to return for another great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Country SpotGreat4BrunchDined on 4/4/2014The Red Fox Inn is a great country lunch/dinner spot. The crab cake platter with cheese grits was delicious as was the pecan pie and carrot cake to finish it off. The building is from the early 1800s and it's cozy and very comfortable. Middleburg is also a beautiful town to exploreSpecial Features:
- Hunt country livingGastroDined on 4/1/2014Having dinner in Middleburg's historic Red Fox Inn is a treat. We stayed overnight and had a quiet, delightful room in the heart of the village. There were not many diners on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, and we had very attentive service. The breakfast was hearty and prepared as ordered. Our dinner of crab cakes and filet mignon, the evening before, were delicious.Special Features:
- Mixed SignalsRockyDined on 3/29/2014Was overcharged for a salad ordered ($10 vs $7). I called the restaurant and they provided a refund (I hope). Some time back I ordered a side Cesaur Salid for $4. I was asked if I wanted anchovies and I said yes. Many people consider anchovies to be as much a part of this sali as lettuce. To my dissapointment I was charged $5 for 5 small anchovies. When I questioned the waitress she said anchovies are considered to be a "side" and are listed at the bottom of the menue. I said I was not expecting this as I have NEVER been charged extra for anchovies. I guess next time Lettuce will be a side!!! The anchovies were more than the salad cost!!!
- A great evening with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014My wife and I went out with another couple for a special occasion. We had appetizers, salads, wine and a desert and everything was very good. The service was prompt and polite. The my wife had the beef spare ribs which were fork tender and delicious. I had the ribeye with shredded brussel sprouts. The brussel sprouts were outstanding and are highly recommended for your side. We had a great evening with our friends and will definitely go back again on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchcigarmacVIPDined on 3/26/2014We sat in the back room by the fire and my guests were very pleased with the new arrangement of tables (old booths removed) and the fire and general atmosphere. Food is always excellent and we lingered over lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt was our waiter. He wasrxpoohDined on 3/23/2014Matt was our waiter. He was great and very knowledgeable about the restaurant, the food, and the area! The food was delicious, the service was good and dinner was served a a good pace. It was a bit pricey but you get what you pay for, It is a nice place to go to celebrate a special occasion or when you feel like some really good food!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningWineDineFelineVIPDined on 3/22/2014We dined at the red fox for our anniversary and it was as perfect as always. The crab cakes are absolutely delicious and the short ribs were fabulous. Our server was attentive and knowledgable when it came to the wine selection. We love staying at the red fox and dining here as often as possible, but this night was definitely stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining in the villageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014We enjoyed the small, cozy environment, the lower noise level and the "village feel". The menu matched the environment: interesting basic choices prepared creatively , including some local fare--a number of the options can be personalized to taste and attention to taste was clearly evident in the preparation. Loved the shrimp and grits -- my first clue that this would be a great dining experience. My steak was done to perfection and my partner savored her fish option, made all the more interesting because of the preparation with an unusual mix of vegetables and seasonings. Although it was crowded (reservations a must on a Saturday), the service was courteous, unhurried and attentive. The only disappointment was the creme brulee,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMaggieDined on 3/21/2014We were Ina weekend get away and our dinner at the Red Fox kicked it off. The ambiance is elegantly warm and cozy. The service was excellent. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. The food was great, fresh vegetables, great mix of flavors, and a great selection. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming inn with great food.christirhVIPDined on 3/21/2014Charming inn with great food. Portions are gigantic. Best crab cake I've had in years.Special Features:
- Fantastic dayDeb319Dined on 3/19/2014We had a fantastic time and dining experience. It was a going away luncheon for a dear friend, a small group of five women. The weather was rainy and cold but the ambience and roaring fire took the chill away. Wonderful waiter, very attentive and he made a great wine recommendation. The food was outstanding, I had the Rueben and I have never had a better one - perfect with all the ingredients! We have decided to make this a ritual as everyone is so friendly! Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Fox Inn Always a DelightcigarmacVIPDined on 3/18/2014I eat frequently at the Red Fox Inn in Middleburg, VA. I have always had great service, great food and a wonderful atmosphere. This is truly a nice escape from city life and noise. Recommended highly.Special Features:
- Arabian NightJudyDined on 3/15/2014We had six visitors from Dubai and wanted to give them an American experience of dining. They were all charmed with the ambiance , history and food. It was a perfect town to walk around before the dining. It is Emory that they won't forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingGaryDined on 3/12/2014It is usually easy to find something wrong with a restaurant, not here, not an inexpensive place to eat but not overpriced for the food and service, plus you are in not only northern Virginia but Middleburg. Great place. We get to northern Virginia four or five times each year and We will return.Special Features:
- Birthday Brunch with the FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2014Well done - the setting and ambience of this historic inn was warm, cozy, and welcoming. The brunch menu offered excellent selections and variety as well as something for the kids. Everything served was appealing and delicious - the service was attentive and professional. On site parking alleviated need to pay meter on street which was a nice benefit. Centrally located in Middleburg - a quaint town with great local shops that is walkable.Highly recommended - worth the price and they given option for two or three course brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.