Red Fox Inn
2 E. Washington St
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Red Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfox.com/
- Phone: 5406876301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 10:30am (Not available for online reservations) Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm , Sunday: 4:30pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Engle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Red Fox Inn offers off-site catering to locations throughout Northern Virginia and Loudoun County. Please contact our Events Department for menus and pricing.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment on the Garden Terrace
- Special Events: Occupying the second floor of the Inn, our private event space is comprised of four distinct private dining rooms and a large garden terrace. Original heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art set the tone for elegant group dining experiences. Our private event spaces can accommodate both social and corporate groups large or small for seated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions. The Inn is a prime location for intimate wedding ceremonies, elegant receptions, festive rehearsal dinners, unique corporate events and memorable dinner parties. Whatever the occasion, our Events Team will customize our property to best suit your needs; from custom linens and place settings to elegant floral arrangements and pole-tents, the choice is yours and the possibilities are endless.
- Cross Street: Madison
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking for restaurant guests is available in our private gravel lot off of Madison Street located behind the Red Fox Inn. Street parking is available at town meters 9:00 am – 5:00pm Monday-Saturday and is free after 5:00pm and all day on Sunday.
A word from Red Fox Inn
Established in 1728, our historic tavern welcomes Middleburg locals and travelers alike to enjoy hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and intimate candlelight dinners in the traditional Virginia style. Oak tables, handcrafted furnishings, stone fireplaces, hand-hewn ceiling beams and thick fieldstone walls create an intimate dining atmosphere any time of day. Our culinary team creates seasonal menus using ingredients indigenous to both Virginia and the South prepared with the time honored cooking techniques of smoking, braising, and roasting. The Tavern’s home-style dishes are simple yet genuine and feature many local ingredients sourced from area farms. The wine list boasts a diverse selection of domestic and imported vintages and show¬cases many wines from Virginia vineyards while the beer list features a rotating selection of craft beers by the bottle. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup, Southern Fried Chicken, or our signature Crab Cakes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Red Fox Inn - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
Red Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (79)special occasion (78)neighborhood gem (67)great for lunch (59)fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (44)great for brunch (44)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (25)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- It was my aunt's 60th birthdaylovefood2Dined on 7/13/2009It was my aunt's 60th birthday and they gave her free dessert of her choice with a lit candle. Our server was very nice. We sat in the lovely cozy room by the original fireplace. We enjoyed our lunch.Special Features:
- The Red Fox Inn is a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2009The Red Fox Inn is a lovely place with a pleasing atmosphere. The food is great and the service is stellar. Perfect for a romantic evening or an afternoon with old friends.Special Features:
- We have always loved the RedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2009We have always loved the Red Fox Inn. We chose to go there for our 10th wedding anniversary, and we were not let down. The peanut soup is always a unique taste to start the meal. There were plenty of fine entrees to choose from, and we were not let down. I have never had a bad experience at the Red Fox Inn and plan to continue to visit at least once a year.Special Features:
- Service was average, roomOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/6/2009Service was average, room was rustic, food was hot and tasty - but only average - steak was the toughest I have eaten anywhere in my entire life and I am 59 years old and eat out often. Portions and quality certainly did NOT justify the above average cost. Overall I will not be returning or recommending it to my friends and neighbors.
- Memorable experience! ThisLucullusDined on 7/4/2009Memorable experience! This restaurant is part of Old Virginia and no visit to Middelburg is complete without a stop at the Red Fox. It is the highlight of the town, on the expensive side but worth it on a special occasion or historic visit.Special Features:
- I had requested a table outsidethomasVIPDined on 6/27/2009I had requested a table outside since it was a beautiful day. They have almost completely covered over their patio area with a tent. We were escorted to a table for 2 in the middle. I asked the server if we could move to an umbrella table along the road, which at least made you feel like you were outside. She informed us the hostess said NO. They might get parties of 4 and they would have to deny them seating. At this point,12 Noon,10 tables were vacant. I felt like I was in the middle of a dance floor waiting for the bride and groom. Food mediocre at best. Peanut soup okay. Coconut shrimp lacking coconut. Obviously the only game in town for lunch has affected their attitude and cooking. FYI the umbrella tables were all empty when we left
- Very good food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2009Very good food and service. Small historic inn with plenty of atmosphere.
- After driving 45 miles todawnDined on 6/15/2009After driving 45 miles to get to my lunch reservation, I was not disappointed with my dining experience. I had the trout, risoto, and spinach dish, the peanut soup, and the peanut-butter pie dessert. It was all wonderful, and I would like to make specific mention of the chef's attention to detail, and the server's (Justin) ability to handle my special dietary needs and a situation that occurred during my visit. The atmosphere in the dining room was warm and cozy, and would make for a good romantic dining spot, in my opinionSpecial Features:
- The meal and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2009The meal and service were both exceptional. My husband and I have come to the Red Fox Inn for other special occasions. We highly recommend your restaurant. Thank you very much for a memorable dining experience. Sonja WoodSpecial Features:
- Had eaten at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2009Had eaten at this restaurant a few years ago - and the food was amazing! This time I was disappointed in the food. Had the filet mignon and the sauce that was on it tasted like barbecue sauce. Wasn't horrible - but for the price I expected much more. My husband had fish and again - wasn't horrible - but tasted very bland.Special Features:
- Food was ok but way overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/9/2009Food was ok but way overpriced. My wife's chicken was not special at all especially for the $25 price. My steak had too much gristle/fat for a $32 steak. The waitress was nice but offered complemetary dessert to celebrate our anniversary then charged us.Special Features:
- Our 38 year marriage anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2009Our 38 year marriage anniversary dinner was a nightmare. Six women celebrating some special event were so loud we could hardly hear our own conversation. Although the staff came to our table to mention how loud it was, they did nothing to change it and made no jesture to compensate us for the bad experience. Won't go back!
- We had a wonderful experienceBertramVIPDined on 6/5/2009We had a wonderful experience (again!). The crab cake special was outstanding! (We each ordered it to keep peace in the family.) The hostess and wait staff are always very pleasant and really contribute to the atmosphere. The Red Fox Inn reminds us of the pubs we have enjoyed so much in England. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- We had a late reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009We had a late reservation, and there was something going on in town so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The service was excellent, the crab cakes were excellent. The filet mignon had leaks, which my husband wasn't thrilled about - but overall - great place. Looking forward to the winter when the fireplaces are lit. :o)
- The staff was very kind andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2009The staff was very kind and helpful. We were stalled in traffic and an hour late. I called ahead and notified them of our delay and they seated us when we arrived. The food was great.Special Features:
- Red Fox Inn remains one ofAndyDined on 5/25/2009Red Fox Inn remains one of our favorite for special occasions and out of town guests.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant, my husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2009Lovely restaurant, my husband and I went on a Monday night for our anniversary. Wonderful service and food! Also, the retsaurant itself is charming--quite cozy and intimate. My only, and very minor complaint, was the easy listening/elevator jazz music they played. I would highly recommend the Red Fox Inn to anyone looking for a spot to have a romantic or special dinner.Special Features:
- Loved our dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2009Loved our dining experience at The Red Fox Inn in Middleburg. The Inn was built in 1728 and reflects the historic importance of the place. Service was outstanding. Large salads. Peanut soup was great as were the crab cakes. Reservations are recommended even if you use your cell phone and are on your way to the countryside.Special Features:
- Quaint historic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/15/2009Quaint historic restaurant in Middleburg. Food and service was good. Outdoor patio is lovely in the summer.
- The Red Fox Inn was a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2009The Red Fox Inn was a nice break from the crowded, and sometimes mediocre places in Reston. Our food was great, the staff was pleasant -we'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- I cannot say enough good thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009I cannot say enough good things about our dining experience at the Red Fox Inn. The staff were all charming. Our server was knowledgeable, efficient and charming, too. Apparently, there is a rather new chef at the restaurant and she is fabulous. I ordered the rack of lamb and it was exquisite! I was recently dining in a beautiful castle in Ireland and the lamb dish I ordered in Middleburg, VA was exceedingly more delicious! The wines we had were also very good. All in all a great experience and perfect for Mother's Day.Special Features:
- Middleburg is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2009Middleburg is a great place to spend a few hours or more and the Red Fox Inn adds to the experience. It has good food, great ambiance and is located in the heart of town.Special Features:
- We loved the atmosphere, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2009We loved the atmosphere, the peanut soup was wonderful as was the flat iron steak sandwich. The service was also great , I would definitely want to return.Special Features:
- We had a terrific dinner there.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2009We had a terrific dinner there. The crabcakes were the best we have had. Definitely worth the visit!Special Features:
- If you are looking for a straightOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2009If you are looking for a straight forward brunch followed by shopping in historic Middleburg, this place fits the bill. Food was good. Service was good. Great historic and cozy atmosphere. Not perfect, but very enjoyable for this kind of place.
- We went for my husband's birthdayDiningwithKidsDined on 4/29/2009We went for my husband's birthday and I noted it in our reservation. They neglected to acknowledge it, which was disappointing. The service was pretty good which is not surprising since the restaurant was empty. They sat us at a nice table but it rocked back and forth so much we could barely eat and we had to request a wedge twice to even it out. My husband had the scallops and said they were fantastic. I went with the brisket and it was pretty bland, but very tender. The wild mushroom risotto was mushy though. Desert was amazing – had the cheesecake!
- My husband and I just wentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2009My husband and I just went here for out 3rd anniversary. It was fabulous! The food was excellent! I had the Halibut and he had the surf and turf (crab cakes and fillet). Wow it was good. We also had the split pea soup and peanut soup. Definitely give their peanut soup a try, something different and very tasty! Finally, the dessert was just awesome. I think everyone who goes to the restaurant should try their creme brulee, it is a lavender brulee and it is to die for! You can taste the lavender in every bite and I ate it slowly to enjoy each mouthful and to make it last longer! Also, the ambiance is very lovely, nice wide tables, even for two, gives you plenty of room but cozy with the dark wood on the walls and floor. Cant wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Food very good. Butter forOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/20/2009Food very good. Butter for rolls had an "off" taste that was unpleasant. We noticed the same problem at breakfast the next morning. Otherwise, very tasty.
- Great brunch/lunch in a niceScunnerVIPDined on 4/19/2009Great brunch/lunch in a nice location. Pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- We had a delicious lunch atlovefood2Dined on 4/17/2009We had a delicious lunch at what used to be the original kitchen of this old house with the original fireplace and pine bar. Some movies have been filmed in this space according to our server.Special Features:
- Historic inn, full of character.QuicksilverDined on 4/12/2009Historic inn, full of character. Makes a great day-trip, for antique shopping, etc., from DC. Food is solid, not exceptional, but the service and charming atmosphere make it worth the trip.
- Excellent service and food-itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2009Excellent service and food-it was a very pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- We were seated in the snugOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/28/2009We were seated in the snug by the fire which was wonderful. I have eaten there several times and it was the first time for my companion, she loved it. The hostess thanked me for using Open Table and booking on-line.Special Features:
- Everything was great. LovedMariaDined on 2/27/2009Everything was great. Loved the restaurant, it was quaint and lovely.Special Features:
- Pretty average food at ratherAlexWVIPDined on 2/21/2009Pretty average food at rather above-average prices. At least portions are plentiful, and the ambiance of the place -- it's in an old colonial inn -- is cool. Service was pro.Special Features:
- What a special experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2009What a special experience!!! I highly recommend this restaurant. Be careful though, they serve huge portions - might be a good idea to share. The building is unique and full of history. Ask your waitress or hostess to tell you a bit about the of history of the restaurant. The duck and the seafood pasta were to die for -Special Features: