309 Millburn Avenue
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafemonet.info/
- Phone: 9733768555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Sunday: 9:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Wes Sawi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Cafe Monet
Cafe Monet is a charming French restaurant which opened in 2005. Chef Wes Sawi, a native of Egypt, with cooking experience in France and at Les Rendez-Vous in Kenilworth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Monet reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)romantic (3)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- High prices, low servicedocADined on 3/2/2013Decent food was ruined by very poor service. We waited 45 minutes for our appetizers, and then had to wait for extra plates, steak knives, salt, etc. Servers didn't check back on our needs except for the water boy. We had to go to the kitchen ourselves to request service. When clearing the table, the server dropped a knife on the lap of my guest, and said "oops I guess it's a bad night."
- I had the St. Peter's fishTonyVIPDined on 3/1/2013I had the St. Peter's fish in honor of the new Pope, although I am not at liberty to reveal his name at this time. However, I can say that the fish was well prepared and liberally seasoned. The arugula salad was a bit light on the apples but otherwise good.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance, above average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013We found it to be a very intimate place but, when we were told of the specials the waiter failed to mention they were out of salmon but instead offered cod. My wife didn't really enjoy the cod and regrets not having gone with the duck. I had filet mignonette which was good but not the best I've had. The side dishes were above average but then again I would expect that since the prices are above average as well. The place has tons of potential but the menu needs a little pumping up. I forgot to mention we had the escargot for an appetizer and they were seemingly very flavorless. I enjoy the briny taste of escargot but that was missing.
- Great food & experienceBusbyDined on 2/22/2013Food was outstanding and ambience great; service was very attentive without being over bearing but did take a long time between courses. That was only down side. If you are in a hurry this is not a good place but if you have time to relax and eat like the French then it is fantastic. Remember the French live to eat whilst Americans eat to live.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backmugzyDined on 2/16/2013Menu was eclectic and not overbearing. Service was great and food excellent. Great pre theatre venue.Special Features:
- DissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/15/2013Cafe Monet is a charming French bistro that we have dined at several times. The ambiance is lovely- nicely decorated and quiet enough to chat. The food is always well-seasoned and flavorful. Our group enjoyed the duck, skate, rack of lamb, and chicken. Unfortunately, the service was awful. We waited 45 minutes for our appetizers to be served. When they were, only three came out. My appetizer, a salad, had been forgotten. We hadn't even been offered bread by then and had to ask for some. Then the entrees came. My husband was given our friend's chicken instead of his duck and began eating. We asked for and got a complimentary chocolate souffle for dessert. The chef/owner came out of the kitchen but never approached our table to apologSpecial Features:
- Valentines dinner was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Valentines dinner was very nice and the food was outstanding. I had the rack of lamb which was perfect and my wife had the filet. Since this was Valentine’s Day they offered a fixed price dinner and it had a nice variety plus the price was not bad compared to other restaurants in the area. Chocolate Soufflé was amazing for dessert. This is a nice little place with close tables, but there is still some sense of privacy because of how they angle the tables, plus they have fabric draped from the ceiling acting as a divider. It actually works pretty well and adds to the cozy café feeling. This was my first time to Café Monet and we will be back to try their regular menu!Special Features:
- Great time, great food, excellentJoememDined on 2/12/2013Great time, great food, excellent for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- the food and atmosphere isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2013the food and atmosphere is great they really have that right - they don't serve unhealthy plopped together food like other places the presentation of the food is good too but, the waitstaff is funny they are young men - trying to be very good and composed, but they are not (yet)Special Features:
- food was very good. PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013food was very good. Portions were adequate but not large. Very pricey.Special Features:
- Overall, a very nice experience.myobDined on 2/2/2013Overall, a very nice experience. The food was mostly excellent, with highest marks for the perfectly cooked hanger steak and short ribs. The scallop appetizer and salads were well prepared and very tasty. However, the salmon papillote did not meet the high standards of the other dishes, and was disappointing. Our waiter was efficient and pleasant, and the food was served in a timely fashion. Cafe Monet has a cozy bistro vibe which is charming, but because the tables are very close to each other, the noise level rises as the room fills up.
- One of the oddest dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2013One of the oddest dining experiences of our lives. Went for brunch. Place nearly empty. Took half an hour to get coffee, which was hot and delicious but came only two cups at a time. Took an hour to get our food which came cold and again two dishes at a time. Nobody ate anything at the same time--some dishes came 15 minutes later; all of it was good quality but none of it was hot. Hummus and pita appetizer came last. Several things bore only a passing resemblance to what was actually ordered. It was so odd that I asked the server if there was a problem in the kitchen and she said no: the gentleman who seemed to be owner never spoke to us nor apologized. We heard diners in the other room begging for their food and threatening to leave.
- This was not our usual experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013This was not our usual experience at Cafe Monet. The waiter was in attentive after taking our order and it seemed as though there were not enough people working for the crowd in the restaurant. In addition, when I go out I am always wary to order creme brûlée but in a French restaurant I expect it to be prepared properly and this was not. The lovely hard coating on top of the custard was soggy and disappointing.
- Did not feel welcomed whenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/13/2013Did not feel welcomed when arrived and was not seated at the table of choice. Had to wait a very long time for food and when it came out, some meals were overcooked. Had to ask waiter several times for extra plates. I was celebrating 2 birthdays with 3 girlfriends. Excuses were made for slow service. We were the first ones at the restaurant for lunch. In my opinion, the waiter was not personable. It was also very cold in the cafe. Alittle heat would've been nice! Very disappointed.
- We have been back to CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013We have been back to Cafe Monet a number of times in the last year. Our experience has been consistently good. They have an interesting menu with a chef who cooks French food as it should be done. The duck was outstanding, St. Peter's fish excellent, the apple tart wonderful on our last excursion. An added plus, if you're not particularly famished most of the entres can be selected in a smaller size. I recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure! Even thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012Always a pleasure! Even though it was a busy evening, being New Year's eve, everything was wonderful. The young college-aged staff seemed a little green, but were friendly, helpful, and attentive nonetheless. Café Monet is one of my favorite restaurants in the area and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- Great food, great service,KirkVIPDined on 12/29/2012Great food, great service, and nice atmosphere! The wine delivery service was also a bonus since I didn't know it was a BYOB restaurant. It's a great place to have dinner before seeing a show at the Paper Mill Playhouse since it's only about a 10 minute walk.Special Features:
- This is a small local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/24/2012This is a small local restaurant that we had passed so many times, and never patronized. what a wonderful surprise it was for us. it was xmas eve, and we were disappointed to see that it was a very limited prix fixe meal. the staff was so accommodating, and made other things available to us. they did so much to make sure that we had an enjoyable evening. the food was creative and delicious. i highly recommend the onion tart appetizer.Special Features:
- Lovely cafe atmosphere withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2012Lovely cafe atmosphere with good food. We especially liked the live guitar music featured on Sunday nights. Have been back with friends and will return.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed our meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/24/2012We very much enjoyed our meal. The escargots and mussels were excellent!Special Features:
- Wonderful .. except for the managerleo30thVIPDined on 10/13/2012It was my first time at this restaurant and loved it! EXCEPT for one thing. Iwould have rated the ambiance as outstanding if it wasn't for the manager (female) berating the staff the entire time. She micro-managed every single move but in an extremely obvious way. It made me feel uncomforatble the entire time. This is called CAFE Monet, not FINE-DINING FOUR STAR Monet. Give the staff a break...they were doing a GREAT job!Special Features:
- Food is very good, but theirOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/22/2012Food is very good, but their service is not so good. It's pity. In a way, it is a typical French service, but probably we will not need to go back there...
- Not cheap but worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2012Our second visit! Not cheap, but worth it. We enjoyed the ambiance, the food, the service. Will go again!Special Features:
- Continues to offer a comfortableTonyVIPDined on 9/7/2012Continues to offer a comfortable ambience and very good food. The hangar steak is excellent and the accompanying pomme frites are too (but there are too many of them). The St. Peter's fish was not very memorable. One of the best things about this restaurant is the opportunity to order half portions of the main courses, which allows one to sample both appetizers and second courses without eating too much. The salads and the crab second course were very good. Really, though, would it cut that much into the profits to buy a set of larger wine glasses?Special Features:
- This charming spot was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012This charming spot was perfect chioce for a Saturday night "stretch the end of summer." The pace here is slow and deliberate--the food, excellent. My snails were cooked to perfection--used the fresh bread to capture all of the butter/Parmesan sauce remaining. Salads are enough for two to share--servers will split them for you. My partner made it a point to tell our server that the lamb was cooked exactly as he had requested, medium rare. The lamb, delicious, the vegetables, he found bland. My salmon papilotte along with a variety of vegetables was just right. We know not to come here if we are pressed for time, but if we are not, then we are sure to have excellent food, and knowledgeable and attentive service.Special Features:
- always enjoyed, personal service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/28/2012always enjoyed, personal service, very professional, great foodSpecial Features:
- Excellent food! Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012Excellent food! Great atmosphere! Definitely coming back again!Special Features:
- Cozy, intimate and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2012Cozy, intimate and friendly atmosphere. Delicious french food selections. Great sized food portions. I would definitely recommend this place to my family and friends.Special Features:
- This is a nice local place.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2012This is a nice local place. VERY VERY limited menu. We ordered a dish they were out of and the waiter did not tell us until we ordered. A/C is weak. We ordered bottled water it was served warm. They microwave the desserts. Main courses were just OK. Had a scallop with a cold spot. I think this place needs some work to charge the prices they charge with the food and service they are giving. The foundation is there I hope they can build on it.
- Very much enjoyed this FridayEatzalotDined on 8/3/2012Very much enjoyed this Friday night impromptu visit to Cafe Monet. Only gave the ambiance two stars because on a very warm and humid day the a/c seemed a bit challenged to keep up - so it was uncomfortably humid. Food and service very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Cafe Monet is a charming littleJERSEYGIRLDined on 7/24/2012Cafe Monet is a charming little French bistro with very good food at reasonable prices. We had the three-course special - perfect! Service was attentive without hovering. And, although we were the last to leave, no one rushed us or in any way made us feel uncomfortable. Definitely a place to return!Special Features:
- Excellent food , poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/14/2012Excellent food , poor service. need more staff on busy nights. Also patrons arriving long after we did were served faster than we were. I believe they forgot we were there. Courses came in the wrong order. Please retrain servers and hire more to keep the service smooth.Special Features:
- Charming Friendly Neighborhood SpotAisleGalDined on 7/11/2012Charming cozy French bistro with interesting menu and attentive friendly waiter. Their gazpacho was amazing. (Avoid the boring crab with mango, and skip the rock shrimp as well). The St. Peter's fish with couscous was yummy (though it needed an added squeeze of lemon). Lovely salad. I tasted my companions' apple tartin which they raved about...and yes, it was well deserving of their praise! Be sure to bring your own wine bottle (this is Milburn)...Special Features:
- We often come here, on a specialrtrothVIPDined on 6/28/2012We often come here, on a special occasion - usually taking guestsjoin their mailing list, to learn about special menus offered from time to time. Otherwise, menus are seasonal. It's BYOB!Special Features:
- The Salmon en papilotte wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2012The Salmon en papilotte was classic -- rich in flavor.Special Features:
- The duck was undercookedSodasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/10/2012The duck was undercookedSodas with ice and no straws but located after we insisted for them
- As usual, a very good meal.TonyVIPDined on 6/2/2012As usual, a very good meal. The pate was excellent and the coq au vin was also. The service has always been an issue at this restaurant but it is now at an acceptable level and we have come to appreciate the variability in the timing of waiter attention (to things like bread, water, silverware, etc) to be part of the place's charm. But, please - - get some larger wine glasses!!Special Features:
- Do not go here.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2012From the fact that the greeter never looked at our reservation and ignored us when we said we were the first 2 of a party of 4 - and then trying to sit us at a table for 2 - to the waiter seeming annoyed when the ladies asked a number of questions as to the meal - the service was abominable. The appetizers were OK but the main course was only fair and one of them (rack of lamb ordered medium) came out cold. I had to go find the waiter to tell him as, every time he came out he ignored us. Then they brought it back - but no knife and fork - meaning another search for a waiter - and it was very rare. The table next to us had ordered "steak and frites" and the frites came out when the steak was 1/2 eaten. I repeat - do not go here.
- Service was slow, but thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2012Service was slow, but that can be nice. You definately are not rushed. The atmoshere is very pleasant, quaint and friendly. It can be casual to dressy.Special Features:
- Seriously DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2012We ate here on Easter, based on Open Table reviews. We could not have been more disappointed. It was not crowded and offered a limited pre fixe menu for the holiday. We can't understand why it took 45 minutes for appetizers and bread to come out and almost two hours for a simple cafe meal. Service could not have been worse. We were offered water and we bought a bottle of sparkling, but some of us had tap. Those who had tap were never offered more, and we were never offered any other beverage. Asking for more was difficult. Our waiter was rarely to be seen. Food was mediocre. It just seemed like they had no clue or care about what they were doing. Re noise, energetic is misleading. It was noisy in an irritating way.