148 East Central Street
Natick, MA 01760Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxwells148.com/
- Phone: 5089076262
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
LUNCH: Tuesday - Friday from 12 noon to 2pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Italian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Maxwell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bridal & Baby Showers, Weddings, Corporate Meetings etc.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Area seats 16 people maximum at one table
- Private Party Contact: Randy Nason 5089076262
A word from Maxwells 148
Fine Dining Restaurant offering northern Italian and Southern Asian items. Located just outside Natick Center on Route 135.Continued
Join our E-Mail Club to receive special weekly promotions exclusive to our subscribers. Lunch and Dinner. Corporate Events snd private parties.
Join our E-Mail Club to receive special weekly promotions exclusive to our subscribers. Lunch and Dinner. Corporate Events snd private parties.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Maxwells 148 - Best Restaurants in Natick ›
Maxwells 148 reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (57)special occasion (49)romantic (48)good for groups (18)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Really really lovely staffPeachcatVIPDined on 5/30/2014This hidden away restaurant is a kind and warm refuge from route 9 and works well if you don't feel like hopping on the pike and heading to the south end....great for talking..and HEARING your friends..the atmosphere lacks energetic vibes...and no hip stuff to be seen. Concept is great, a bit strange..the fusion of Asian and Italian ..maybe too much of a reach... BUT the chef is delightful, concerned and talks to his guests...so refreshing..that goes a long way.. The food is a bit in the heavy and fried side, so don't look for "best you have ever eaten"..but on a rainy Friday..when you don't mind an older quiet crowd,and you want to feel loved.. this place deserves the businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Find!TeacherDetectiveDined on 5/28/2014Really a warm venue with a great menu, though the combinations were odd at times.Special Features:
- CleoDined on 5/24/2014Don't let the location or name fool you. Well prepeared dishes Not the place to just stop in, best to make reservation Pleanty of parking in back of the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Dinner was fine. Only complaint was that it was far noisier than desired for two people to have a conversation. It also was hard to hear the waitress, who didn't seem to be able to project very loudly.
- Couldn't be better!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014I hadn't been to Maxwell's in quite a long time and had never been there for dinner. They had a BOGO offer, so I took them up on it. I can't say enough good things about the dinner. The food was fabulous and the service impeccable! The owner came to our table to inquire about our meal. I absolutely loved our waitperson -- every time she was thanked, the response was "my pleasure" instead of "no problem". She was very friendly and professional, accommodating and helpful -- what a breath of fresh air! I also appreciated the fact that there were no children running around or screaming. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday DinnerBuzz1Dined on 5/17/2014We took our friend to Maxwells 148 for a Special Birthday dinner and it was very Special indeed! Outstanding food, lovely service and attention to detail and a very nice ambiance. We will come back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unhappy BirthdayGourmettoGoGoDined on 5/17/2014This past Sat we tried it again and we had a super uncomfortable table for 2 up against a wall in the hall to the wait station, there were screaming infants which I found unbelievable and our waitress didn't take our drink order for 20 mins!! It arrived and was wrong so I had to get up and get it back to the bar tender after 10 more minutes. 30 mins later we were told the specials and asked how the drinks were! We had to ask for bread and we didn't place our order until 45 mins after being seated due to poor service. The lobster gnocchi I ordered was not tasty and I even ordered 2 extra ounces of lobster and all I got was a double order of gnocchi! The bread was stale and the food was overpriced. We won't be back.
- DickVIPDined on 5/14/2014It's always good--one of our favorites. That's why we go regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemaDined on 5/14/2014Exceptional food - nice atmosphere, good service. A little on the pricy side considering the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I was very disappointed in the cheese platter for 24.00 there was little to enjoy and the accompanying crostini was too crunchy to enjoy the cheese. Very small and overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Email specials left a bad taste...SharonMDined on 5/6/2014Glad to find a $$ restaurant in Natick that got a 4.5 rating and wasn't part of a chain. But...we knew Maxwells had specials from a review Melon read online but the "specials" our waitress recited were $$$ ?? so we ordered pasta dishes off the menu. Meanwhile, people behind us order & we hear "our" waitress telling them about 3 $16.99 specials. Huh? So, we asked our waitress & were told these are "email club" specials. Turns out you can't access them till after first visit - unless you've heard of them. Suggest Maxwells reconsider this "email special" so that 1st timers don't end up in the "feeling left out of a better deal" situation like we felt. 2nd issue: we feel Maxwells is really more of a $$$ restaurant. We liked it otherwise:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good accidental findDAJIANDined on 5/3/2014Excellent service; couldn't ask for better. Good food selection even with truncated menu with mix of Italian and Asian food. I would definitely return. The seating was somewhat compressed and the noise level was higher than I would've liked. The drinks are overpriced. The dishes my wife and I had were very good. Mine was the Porquette and the other was the rice paper wrapped fish. the side dishes were also overpriced. What happened to including side dishes with expensive main dishes? I recall the side dishes being $10. This is not the only place that does this. I just don't understand this. If you forget to side dishes in the overpriced drinks you can have a very very good meal, one which I urge you to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/29/2014What a great lunch we had...the food was great and the waitstaff was outstandingSpecial Features:
- PerfectionPaulDined on 4/10/2014A wine dinner that was executed in good form..great wines, good explanations of wines, outstanding food, nice chef talk, atmosphere is amazing for such an unassuming looking restaurant... Definitely on my "come back loads of times" list.Special Features:
- The Old StandbyDickVIPDined on 4/9/2014We go to Maxwells 148 all the time because it is always very good in every respect. Excellent chef, staff and original menu combine to make it one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/8/2014We've been here twice and both times we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Service, food, ambience are all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven and service needs workanitblingDined on 4/8/2014Our reserved table was awkwardly placed between the bar and restroom/kitchen hallway; it felt removed from the rest of the restaurant (in a "get them out of the way" sense, not an enhanced privacy sense). The waiter was pushy and not very attentive. We wanted to order appetizers to have while we thought about our entrees; he said we should order everything at once, and when we demurred, he just walked away (even though we'd said we were ready to order appetizers), and was difficult to flag down thereafter. (He was also slow to get us menus in the first place). Some entrees were great. Seafood Cioppino was overcooked and tough, cod was huge portion but dry. Pork and beef were better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceChrisVIPDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I dined here recently for her birthday. We had a drink at the bar before sitting down and the bartender was very friendly and both of our cocktails were great. For dinner all dishes were top notch - mushroom risotto cakes and tuna tetaki for appetizers and a swordfish special and lobster gnocci for entrees. Randy recommended a shiraz (Blue Eyed Boy) and it was outstanding. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehbirdinanestDined on 4/4/2014The food wasn't bad, it was actually good, but not worth the hefty price. I ordered a vegetarian dish that was a little heavy on the sauce. When ordering, I asked the waiter if it was possible to add shrimp to the dish. They added one shrimp for an additional fee of $2.50. The problem with the meal was the waiter. He was on the rude side. We also found they overcharged us on the wine. I don't plan on going back--too pricey for what you get. (As for rating the service, I gave two stars rather than one as the bartender was very friendly)
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/2/2014We travel from western to eastern Mass. once a week on a weekday and stop in the Natick area for supper each time. We've eaten in most of the restaurants in and around the Shopper's World vicinity with varying satisfaction. Maxwell's 148 was a dining experience at a higher level. We were greeted with extraordinary (but not oily) friendliness when we walked in. The dining area is cleverly partitioned with lattice decorations that give each table a feeling of intimacy, even though it's open to the whole dining area. The service was prompt, friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. I had seafood cioppino, my partner had linguini with cauliflower. Both delicious. We shared a special rice pudding for dessert. Also delightful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Favorite placeDarcyDined on 3/28/2014We go to Maxwells for almost all of our special occassions. Recently celebrated 3 birthdays at the same time. Food and service are always superb. Steve is the best waiter ever. Have taken several friends, they all loved it. Lobster gnocchi is a " life changing experience". The chef always stops by the table to check on you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulousFoodieDined on 3/28/2014We are so lucky to have a place like Maxwells right around the corner. Everything they do is top notch. The food is always delicious, service is stellar, and if you didn't know where you were you'd think you were in downtown Boston. We never leave disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed for a second timeLynneVIPDined on 3/27/2014The Bang Bang shrimp was a huge disappointment to both me and my guest.It was like eating FRIED SHRIMP with no sweet/spicy orange-glaze flavor. It was tasteless and the rice was also cold. We spent almost $400 for dinner and was completely taken back when the owner didn’t try to win me back as a customer and save his reputation. I explained to the owner I didnt want to make a scene in front of my clients. The owner gave me no reason to ever go back to this restaurant or recommend it to anyone after that experience and how the owner handled my phone call. The owners response was "next time he will make it better. Because of your response there won’t be a next time for me. You owed me 2 descent entrees. I already spent $400 and left unhappy
- Last minute dinner decisionBobbyv99Dined on 3/26/2014My wife and I just love to eat here - never been disappointed. Randy, our host is always welcoming and gracious. We had a wonderful salmon dish and also had an outstanding chicken marsala. It is the place we go for a real special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supurb is typicalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2014From the warm welcoming by Owner or Host, the attentive cheerful and informed waitstaff enhance the dining journey. Chef made a quick visit to be sure all met satisfaction and happy to answer my pedestrian question regarding squid ink. Maxwell's consistently makes us feel relaxed, appreciated and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!WinsleyVIPDined on 3/20/2014Maxwells is simply outstanding. The food is incredible, the chef is dedicated, personable, and invested in the success of the restuarant. The staff is well trained, professional, knowledgeble with a sense of humor. The restaurant is not too loud which is what makes it so nice to dine. You can actually hear the people you are with without straining. We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've never had a bad mealWineGuruDined on 3/15/2014We've never had a bad meal at Maxwells! The food is always great and the staff very attentive. Chef even roams around check that things are OK. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten pathout2dineVIPDined on 3/13/2014Maxwell's made us feel like we were a welcomed guest who came for dinner at their home. The staff was friendly and service was very good. Although the menu prices may be higher than you'd normally pay, the food is very gourmet and well worth it. The veal shank special was delicious and came with a steaming, large portion. It was somewhat like a stew, a large very tender shank on top of mashed potatoes in a tasty sauce with vegetables. I was surprised at how long the dish kept warm, but wasn't too hot. The waitress suggested a cabernet merlot wine mix which complemented the meal. I'd suggest signing up for their e-mail list to be notified of special dinners. Then you'll be tempted to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - BUT!PatziDined on 3/7/2014OK, we've been to this restaurant several times and always found it to be fantastic, one of the main reasons, besides the great food and service, was the speicalty drink of the house "Trader Vic's Mai-Tai" which was fantastic, the best! So what happened this time? Don't know, they changed the engredients, the glass, it was a disaster. Though I admit they tried fixing it three times, but they coulnd't do it - we appreciate you trying which is why I gave you a perfect score for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemLoveitDined on 2/21/2014The food at maxwells is consistently fabulous. The menu has a wide variety of dishes to satisfy every different taste and dietary restrictions. The atmosphere is extremely welcoming and the staff goes out of their way to make the experience a memorable one. The location is not easy to find but once you discover it, you will make this your local " go to" restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a unique restaurant!BlondieVIPDined on 2/21/2014This is a unique, special restaurant with lots of charm! The menu is both Italian and Asian. The chef visits the dining room to introduce himself and check on diner's satisfaction. The ambience is upscale. This restaurant is definitely a favorite for my husband and me.Special Features:
- Food was good, interestingChariVIPDined on 2/21/2014Food was good, interesting menu. Service was very very slow.Special Features:
- Always GreatSteveDined on 2/15/2014A diner at Maxwell's 148 is always the most delightful experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard about Maxwell's many times...bsuarezDined on 2/14/2014After a number of recommendations we finally had a chance to visit Maxwell's 148 the other night. We had a late reservation at 9:30 and found the restaurant all but full. A quiet dining room even though everyone was talking, the acoustics are well thought out. Our wait staff were attentive and knowledgeable about both food and win. We had the Cioppino and the lobster gnocchies with truffle. Both dishes were prepared perfectly and the presentations were clean and appealing. We will definitely go back soon.Special Features:
- Exciting menuJonsi41Dined on 2/14/2014Maxwells never disappoints in menu choices. They always have an interesting and varied selection.Special Features:
- Best Service in the Boston AreaFrequentBostonDinerDined on 2/12/2014I have dined here several times and everyone, from the host to the waiters to the chef (who makes rounds throughout the floor), is amazingly attentive, friendly and genuine. The food is also fantastic so I would say this is one of the best restaurant experiences in the Boston area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menu that is definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/12/2014Interesting menu that is definitely NOT just "Italian" as advertised on Open Table. No stand-out menu item, just a nice dinner. Date reported that wine was priced quite high even compared to pricing of the same wine at Boston restaurants. I have many (medical) dietary restrictions: the owner tried to accomodate but I've had many much better experiences around my diet. Instead of telling me that "most of our food has many ingredients" it's been a lot more effective to just offer to cook "off the menu" using ingredients we know I can eat. Believe it or not, I've had this "custom" experience even at TGIFridays -- so I was pretty suprised that we struggled to figure out what I could eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMomof4VIPDined on 2/12/2014I have had dinner many times at Maxwells and it is always great. A favorite for sure. This time I went for lunch and it was great again. Menu is creative and has something to please everyone. Service is always top notch. Just a great spot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the exciting menu !balovestocookDined on 2/11/2014This interesting eclectic restaurant has something for everyone. I love the eggplant appetizer and the portions are generous. There are daily extras to the menu which are fun. You can see the chef tries to change things up. Staff is welcoming and helpful. Wish we lived closer but it is always a treat to eat at Maxwells 148. Delighted they still take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening but unexpectedly expenemilyDined on 2/8/2014We chose this restaurant exclusively based on location and the pricing guide on Open Table. The food was truly very good but the service was relaxed to say the least and the pricing was definitely not worthy of a $$ rating on the Open Table listings. This is a $$$ to $$$$ restaurant. No one minds an expensive evening out if that is what they are planning on.....we had a large number of guests and were not prepared for $9-18 appetizers, $9-13 salads and "sides" (ie potato and veggies) in the same range. Entrees were fairly reasonable but all the extras were quite inflated.Special Features: