Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccabackbay.com/
- Phone: 6172472400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andres Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant mezzanine dining room seating 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: * 6172472400x
A word from Lucca Back Bay
From creators of the acclaimed North End restaurant, Lucca, Lucca Back Bay features upscale, regional, contemporary cuisine in Boston's Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (42)romantic (31)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Happy New YearrwinkleyDined on 12/31/2013Wonderful evening - though the balloons began to fall too early (New Year's Eve decor). Food and drink superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time, Will Definitely ReturnRobTNHVIPDined on 12/8/2013We enjoyed our experience at Lucca Back Bay very much. We were greeted and brought to our table by a very friendly hostess. The room is beautiful but not stuffy in any way. Food was outstanding, from an antipasti plate to our pastas. The service was very good. We will absolutely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to my expectationABeveningDined on 12/7/2013good location , easy to reach, but the Rib Eye was very hard to chew ! I ointed out to waiter, no action taken. was not in the mood for argument.Special Features:
- LOUD!DateNightDinerDined on 12/7/2013Noise level was not just "energetic". I would call it "punishing". However the food was very good (except for COLD bread which is my pet peeve) and the the service was excellent. Not sure I would return due to the noise level which is too bad as the atmosphere is lovely. I felt like i was yelling across the (two person) table the whole time. Also, my husband and I deliberately arrived early to hang at the bar before our reservation, but there was a private party going on downstairs and the bar was closed. I had talked to the hostess earlier that day to confirm our reservation and she never mentioned this. It would have been nice to know so we could have made other pre-dinner plans.
- Excellent Upscale Italian FoodAndy58VIPDined on 12/4/2013I had high hopes for Lucca and i was not disappointed. I had dinner with my wife and the ambience and service were excellent. We had the pork chop and the Osso Buco and both were very flavorable and perfectly done. We would defintely go again when visiting Boston.Special Features:
- Can't Wait to Go BackOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/3/2013Had a business dinner here as a group of 5. Service was very attentive without being obtrusive. The wait staff gave thoughtful recommendations based on our likes and was very helpful with the wine selections. The courses were delivered in a timely fashion; never as a rush and without any delay. The ambiance is very nice. Lucca has a separate and well-appointed bar that would make it a great spot for drinks or a small weekend casual dinner. Dinner tables are well spaced and the room is very comfortable. With all of that, the food is the real star. All meals were full of flavor and depth; each being a treat. Several of us had the osso buco and we all commented that it was perhaps the best we ever had. We will be back.Special Features:
- Always goodCharlieDined on 12/1/2013Lucca is one of those restaurants that is always good, reliable. I can't think of anything I've ever had there that wasn't good.Special Features:
- DeliciousLianneDined on 11/30/2013We had a company holiday dinner. Nine of us ordered various items: lamb, steak, chicken, salad, cavatelli to name a few. Everyone loved the food. I personally had the cavatelli (minus the bacon) and it was delicious. Service was very good. I would definitely return to Lucca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VerymmooregsuDined on 11/23/2013Good Italian. Done right and with all the right bells and whistles. They didn't skimp on anything I saw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Symphony nightjohnrh1958Dined on 11/23/2013We went for dinner before attending the symphony. My meal (lamb) was fabulous, My wife's steak was good but not great. we came back after the symphony for drinks. A nice evening. would recommend Lucca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent servicesymphonydinersDined on 11/23/2013Great food, excellent service and a fabulous bar...one of our favorite spots before symphonySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2013High expectations lead to disappointment. Modern, somewhat sterile decor. Appetizers were uninspired. The main courses had an attractive presentation, but that was the end of pleasant surprise. The Osso bucco was dry, cooked days in advance and re-warmed. Pork chop was thick, but average and uninspired. Coffee was non-drinkable. Extensive wine list, at outrageous prices for the quality. Service was poor.
- Starters were fabulousJennieVIPDined on 11/12/2013But mains a little disappointing, meats were quiet dry. Atmosphere and service great.
- It's not the North End, DorothyIm4funDined on 11/7/2013We made reservations at 6 in order to get to Symphony at 8. We had to ask for the Prix fixe menu and then for the Prix. Although we made it very clear to our waiter that we had to be out in time to walk to Symphony hall, we had to keep chasing him to move our meal through. Dessert arrived as we had to leave, so we picked it up after the concert. The food was delicious and the Prix fixe menu I has good variety and great value, but room is very noisy so it was hard to have a conversation. I like Lucca but will go to the North End next time.Special Features:
- gemMattDined on 11/7/2013they make you feel at home. in the back bay it is the only real Italian cuisine worth experiencing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is astonishingly poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2013Service is astonishingly poor. One waits for menus, drinks, appetizers. The only thing that I did not have to wait for was the main course (fish), which was ready before I'd finished my appetizer and was so dried out by the time I was ready for it that it was inedible - and I didn't have time or desire to wait for another attempt. The waiter offered me another glass of wine and then was so long in bringing it that I had finished what I had left of a side dish I hadn't rejected. Even though the restaurant was only half full (on a Saturday evening!), it was still noisy. It is also too dark by half. Stay away.
- Great for casual dining in the barMartyDined on 11/1/2013We both had the fettuccine with wild mushrooms and it was excellent. The bar area is small and intimate, a little loud but you can hear each other talk. Service wasn't great but I think it was the guy who waited on us, not a reflection on the place itself. He clearly was partial to other parties that included at least one male diner. (We were two females.) Perhaps he has gotten bad tips from female only clientele. (Still, not a good excuse for poor service.) I tip very well when I'm pleased with the service but did not in this case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and InattentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2013Even though we notified the waiter we had to be at a concert in two hours, every stage of the meal was painfully slow--even getting drinks and, inexplicably, getting the check. The food was excellent, but the indifferent service left a strong negative impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was tempting, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/31/2013The menu was tempting, but my husband has some allergies. Although we had alerted the restaurant when we made the reservation, the server was unaware of the limitations, even after we asked him to check with the chef. The food is good and creative, but our experience made the visit to Lucca less delightful.
- Great Place!CarCarDined on 10/23/2013We had a fun evening at Lucca Back Bay. Service was excellent-both friendly and with excellent timing. We appreciated the gluten-free pasta. The bar was lively and looked like a great place for a late-night drink.Special Features:
- Excellent in every way!KarenDined on 10/23/2013We were celebrating our daughter's 40th birthday; the event had some elements of a surprise. Everything went off like 'clockwork.' We had made several requests on specifics ahead of time...all were fulfilled. Great food, service, table setting, etc. The restaurant could accommodate our large party at the our desired time. Everyone was pleased. Only hitch...WE arrived about 15 minutes late because of Game 1 of the World Series...but who knew? Go Red Sox. (Other guests knew alternate routes!) We had dined at Lucca Back Bay on an earlier occasion to celebrate another event and found it excellent. We worked extensively with Natasha S, a staff person, who responded to all requests in a timely and thorough manner; perfect! Thanks Natasha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnertthechtVIPDined on 10/22/2013Everything was perfect about this dinner. I had pasta with roasted Brussels sprouts and pine nuts; my husband had osso buco. It was a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Our 40th anniversary dinner!3BillsDined on 10/19/2013Our 40th anniversary dinner! We were seated at a two-for table, by a window and out of the walkway. The whole experience from, greeting on the way in and thanks yous on the way out, was enjoyable. We were not rushed. The waiter was attentive without being intrusive. The food presentation and taste were delicious. The ambience was a little more casual than we had expected, but suited us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it.ChasVIPDined on 10/19/2013We were very disappointed with the food. We had an appetizer with figs and the figs were not ripe. The dish should never have made it out of the kitchen. This is an indication of poor training and poor quality control. We had a pasta dish with broccoli and sausage. The pasta dish was covered in bread crumbs and put in the oven. The dish was very dry and you needed a microscope to find the sausage. We were comped the fig dish which was good to see. However, the prices were very high and not justified by the quality of the food. Would not go back.
- Two time is a Charm??DanRanDined on 10/18/2013I have visited this restaurant twice in the past month and will not again. On both occasions the service was poor at best. It was so slow the first time we had to leave even though we had not recieved our dessert towards the end of the dining experience we had let the waitress know we really needed to get going and that if she would bring us our check and a couple desert items off the menu we would call it a night. 13 min later the check came and after waiting another 15 min we simply left. This time it became apparent when we declined ordering wine we were not welcome! And we saw our server when we ordered our meal and at the end for a token "how was your meal" meanwhile he was doting over another table who was ordering bottles of wine...Special Features:
- Solid Italian FoodBostonfortheWeekendDined on 10/18/2013I reviewed OpenTable reviews prior, the concensus was good to great food with mediocre service, I agree. The bread and bean puree topping was interesting because it was unusual, but ultimately I was not impressed, I would eat it again if hungry, but I would't mention it as a highlight. I ordered the Bolognese, I thought was very nice, perfect texture to the homemade pasta, and a nice heavy, comfort food style sauce that was well balanced. Service was attentive and prompt through receiving main course, then the assigned waiter disappeared, and the bus boy stepped up and finished service. We were not in a hurry and anticipated this based on reviews, had we not expected it, we would have been irritated. I would go back for the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartender was wonderfullyDonnaWVIPDined on 10/17/2013Bartender was wonderfully attentive and made delicious cocktails. Dinner service was very good - not rushed & evenly paced courses. Quality of food was terrific - my steak was perfect medium rare & very tender. Kudos to the chef!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate there twice while in BostonidahofoodiesDined on 10/12/2013Ate there twice while in Boston on 4the day stay. Very busy on Saturday night &we were rushed to place order, then huddled out after dinner was finished. Food was great.Special Features:
- The food is excellent (I amdinetteVIPDined on 10/5/2013The food is excellent (I am a tough critic) and always perfectly prepared. Even more outstanding is the gracious, understated atmosphere- quiet décor, tables set reasonably far apart, service that is efficient but now showy- truly elegant and a favorite for a quiet dinner in town with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy posh ItalianCathDined on 10/4/2013Had the risotto with shrimp. Fabulous! My husband had the chicken sausage pasta which he found a bit spicy . Posh area, great for a night out when you want to get dressed up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining pre-theatreBCactonVIPDined on 10/4/2013A party of six enjoyed a great meal before going to the Huntington Theatre. Our table by the window was super. Waitstaff was friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu and specials. Diverse wine list. As the time approached 7pm and the main dining room filled, the noise level rose to the point we needed to raise our voices somewhat to converse. Still, the food was delicious and the restaurant very well located. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around good,TripsalotDined on 10/3/2013Great menu, service a little negligent but rectified when mentionedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - highly recommendCorfamDined on 9/28/2013After a truly awesome dinner, the place provided two excellent deserts "on the house" as they felt it took a bit long for our meals to come out. Would go back there in a heart-beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picked Lucca for its closenessSkillyDined on 9/28/2013Picked Lucca for its closeness to symphony hall. The duck salad was delicious. The rib eye steak, though cooked to perfection was very bland tasting. The scallops were simply ok. Chocolate bread pudding finished the meal off nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so impressiveAnonDined on 9/22/2013I was in town for a convention and we took some clients to Lucca Back Bay as it was right next to our hotel & we'd heard good things about the other Lucca. The food was good, and the atmosphere was nice, but the service left something to be desired. The waiter brought one of us wine we didn't order, then forgot wine that one of us did order, and then tried to re-fill our wine with someone else's very expensive wine bottle. The waiter also was not very familiar with the menu and had to go to the kitchen to check what they had at one point. While normally these things wouldn't bother me, given the price point of this restaurant and the fact that we were entertaining clients (the choice of restaurant reflects on us), it left a bad taste.
- Elegant Italian cuisineArtRDined on 9/15/2013This was our first visit to Lucca, although we have been to other restaurants in this elegant location. We found the service to be excellent (attentive without being stuffy in the least), the food to be excellent (mildly adventurous cuisine with excellent flavors and presentation), and the prices to be reasonable for the level of the experience. It was a fine dinner, and we will be back.Special Features:
- Excellant Service-Tasty PastafoodloverDined on 9/13/2013We had dinner at Lucca's prior to attending the theatre. We delayed our reservation twice with phone calls while sitting in traffic. The Hostess couldn't have been nicer or more understanding. When we arrived and explained our time limitations to our server, she moved into action recommending entres that were quicker than others, etc. Her service was outstanding and she was a delight to chat with. Our meals were served promptly. All 4 of us had pasta dishes that were delicious (especially the Gnocchi and the Fettucini) and well executed, but the portions were small. I was not expecting huge amounts, but they could have been larger! All in all a really nice place, great service, and perfect before walking to the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and serviceJimmDined on 9/1/2013Excellent meal and service and the ambiance was perfect for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a dinner during theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2013Went for a dinner during the restaurant week. Food was great; hostess/manager was pretty good to come checking on us, however the service was very slow...even though the restaurant was hardly packed. We had a hard time grabbing the attention of server (I think manager/hostess came over more simply because we were seated close to the stand)Special Features:
- A mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2013We tried Lucca for Restaurant Week and very much liked its approach of adding upcharges for various dishes so that the entire menu is available during RW. In our party of two, the full meal ended up as a split decision: Two disappointing appetizers, two excellent entrees, and one excellent, one perfectly fine (but no more) desert.