Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccabackbay.com/
- Phone: 6172472400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andres Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant mezzanine dining room seating 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: * 6172472400x
A word from Lucca Back Bay
From creators of the acclaimed North End restaurant, Lucca, Lucca Back Bay features upscale, regional, contemporary cuisine in Boston's Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)fit for foodies (42)romantic (32)notable wine list (27)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- pleasant but could be bettertheatermomDined on 5/3/2014The food is just okay, but the service is good and the room is comfortable. I've been twice, before and after shows at the theater, because it's within walking distance. The flavors in the food tends toward bland or sweet, except for one pasta dish that was too spicy-and spice level not mentioned in menu description. The dessert menu was a disappointment both times--heavy on cream/milk based stuff, and gelato/sorbet flavors unappealing ("cookies and cream" but no chocolate?). Next time I see a show, I'll probably try a different place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014The food was fantastic! And the service was there without being intrusive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Back Bay Italian choice!!RamboneDined on 4/30/2014Large group of six people. Nice wine list, excellent cocktails, tasty entrees amidst noisy room. But we will had different dishes and several bottles of wine. Great time had by all. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but too expensiveRossDined on 4/27/2014Very good, totally different from their NEnd restaurant. Too expensive given other great options at same price point.Special Features:
- Lucca Back Bay is only mediocreDutchBuckVIPDined on 4/22/2014The menu looks interesting, but most dishes were not as good as we hoped they would be. Service was very good: friendly and efficient. And the room was attractive, although very dark. It's too bad that the meals as prepared just didn't measure up.
- It was good......not greatNoodleODined on 4/17/2014There are a lot of choices in this neighborhood. We liked Lucca. Straightforward menu and we all enjoyed our meals.. The wine list was fine.. there just wasn't a lot to set it apart from the rest. And we found it a little pricey............... or should I say, way too expensive. But we had fun. The service was impeccableSpecial Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014The three course meal, followed by dessert, was excellent. Our server was quite attentive and engaged in the presentation of the meal. There was just a little too much time between our courses: we arrived at 7:00, and didn't get out until 9:30 for a party of eight. As highlighted previously, though, THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014It was our first time dining at Lucca and we were not disappointed. The ambience is warm and romantic and the service is A+. We were celebrating our children's birthdays with family and ordered a few appetizers, cocktails and dinner. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals. However, I would have liked to see a few more entrée choices. I usually get a fish dish and chose the Monk which was the nightly special. It was okay, rather bland but that being said it didn't damper our dining experience because the evening was a very enjoyable one. I like that the tables are spread apart enough to enjoy some privacy while dining and that it did not have the hectic atmosphere that a lot of Boston restaurants do. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSneakVIPDined on 3/29/2014I had the cavatelli and tried the crudo -- both excellent. Also tried the crudo. The cocktails are well-planned and well-executed. For bourbon, try the "Reverend Craig". The server was very personable, attentive, and not condescending. He was very knowledgable; he knew the menu and the preparation of the each dish, important because of food allergies in our party. The dessert was the best part of the meal, mixing classical and modern touches. The atmosphere fell short -- at least up on the second-floor balcony area, where we were seated next to a rather loud group of twenty guests. (I think this placement was poor form, but they may have been fully packed on the main level. Overall, Lucca lives up to its accolades. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A very good findRudyVIPDined on 3/27/2014I enjoyed the dining experience here. The food was good, the atmosphere conducive to a relaxing evening, and the service is as god as I've experienced if not better, at higher priced restaurants. I came by myself, which sometimes makes for an automatic downgrade in where they sit you, and the service. But I was greeted well, given a seat by the window, and served very well. The Calamari appetizer is one to come back for. The veal was cooked very well. The SemiFredo was delicious and worth busting my carb counts for. I definitely recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snobby staffTONTOWDined on 3/24/2014If you don't order the more expensive items from the menu including the wine the wait staff provide very poor service. Wait time between courses was unacceptable. Should not take that long to deliver a piece of cake. When it arrived the ice cream on the side melted (cake was not warmed) I exclaimed "My ice cream is melted" . The waiters reply was "sorry". And he said that as he was leaving the table. No eye contact nothing to even fake sincerity. The restaurant was not busy, many empty tables so no excuse for poor service.
- Don't eat hereLEDFOCDined on 3/23/2014Our experience was bad, beginning to end. The wait for a waitress was long. When she came, I asked for Club Soda; she said they only had "sparkling water"!The Menu was fixed price, but each item had extra dollars added on. I ordered chicken; it had no taste and was dried out; the Ceasar salad with anchovies, had only one anchovy! Service was long. When there for almost 2 hours, I asked for dessert wrapped to take home. That took long. When I got home, it was not the one I ordered. Finally, I was given someone else's bill. I did not notice this and paid anyway. When leaving they said I was mischarged and my card needed to be done again. I received a new bill without itemizing dishes and the total was $25. higher! We will not eat here again!
- Poor food, Poor serviceJFB06VIPDined on 3/22/2014The Carpaccio was excellent but the main courses were definitely poor. Too much salt with the Scallops and a kind of ball (1 inch) of spaghetti glued together in the middle of the plate of Spaghetti Carbonara. These issues were mentioned to 2 different waiters and nothing happened in return. Very pricey too (the 3 course menu is the only option and price add-ons are almost a mandate) I do not recommend
- SophisticatedJCBostonDined on 3/22/2014The food was sophisticated, grounded in classic Northern Italian cuisine. The websites was personable, very knowledgeable but not intrusive or overbearing. Sweetbreads were to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific- as anticipated!WaylandguyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was very good, service was attentive, quick but not over bearing The ambiance was pleasant; even on an early Saturday dinner before Symphony it felt comfortable. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2014Calamari appetizer was great. I had the rigatoni which was fine, but my wife had the tortoloni with the jonah crab and it was cold (compared to my steaming hot rigatoni) and had a very fishy taste. The manager appologized and took the tortoloni off the bill, but still disappointing.
- Great food and attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Great food and attentive service in a pretty space. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service, great foodbigguruDined on 3/18/2014The service overall at Lucca the other night was fantastic. I was in there with a friend from out of town and you guys represented extremely well, the hostess was really friendly, waitress we had was fantastic - helpful and friendly, and the manager also came around to make sure everything was cool. I'd recommend Lucca to anyone, and that is before even mentioning that every food item we got was 10 out of 10 delicious! I'd recommend Lucca Back Bay in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!rlmarkDined on 3/17/2014Just attended a trade show in the Boston area and enjoyed a fantastic meal at Lucca Back Bay. Everything was delicious and the service was exceptional. We try to make it to this restaurant every year when we attend the show and we are never dissappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the service and foodAlanDined on 3/14/2014Both the service and food were outstanding! Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/22/2014We had a great dinner time last Saturday. Food is very good, and portions are big enough to share. Good wine list. very attentive service. Well-priced for Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there many times, andpedidocVIPDined on 2/22/2014Been there many times, and they have gotten better each month. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always above averageOmnivoreVIPDined on 2/22/2014We dine at Lucca Back Bay or the original Lucca in the North End once or twice a year. The menu changes often enough that there is almost always something new to try. This time my wife really enjoyed the Jonah crab appetizer. We were especially impressed by our server's attention to the couple next to us. They thought they were in a red sauce type of place (they weren't) but the server walked them through the menu and also offered some choices from the bar menu so that they could eat a meal they were comfortable with. Very nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My one complaint is the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014My one complaint is the food. The duck was very salty and the risotto very bland... overall a disappointing meal.
- Excellent all aroundColetteDined on 2/21/2014The whole experience was excellent: food, quiet atmosphere, service, selection of wines by the glass. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- high end italianOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/20/2014Lucca's is a perfect antidote to the battle between nouveau Northern Italian partisans and red sauce Southern types. The offerings were inventive and diverse and the quality was high.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningitallianstallionDined on 2/15/2014This place has a really nice atmosphere, great food, service and the wine list is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "go-to" favoritedinetteVIPDined on 2/15/2014My "go-to" favorite for an elegant dinner with family or friends. Food is reliably, prepared, and of excellent quality,and not "over the top." Staff friendly and accommodating, always gracious. And quiet enough for conversation! Not a restaurant for the young and hip, though the bar area is appealing, More elegantly sophisticated. Perfect for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulColleenDined on 2/14/2014I went there on a date and the food was incredible. Staff was attentive and knowledgeable. The waiter brought me a martini but rather olives he brought me a lemon Rhine, I like Gin and it was mainly gin, but I happened to say to my date "oh i just miss my olives"He heard and brought me olives! Then knew my next martini was to be made with olives. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!LIfoodieVIPDined on 2/14/2014We recently moved to Boston and dined at Lucca on Valentine's Day. It was fantastic! We stared with the oysters (from Duxbury)...cold, sweet served with mignonette. Then we shared the buccatini and two amazing entrees...the chicken and scallops. The service was very good, we were seated at a nice corner table and we were not rushed. Dessert was delicious too! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good andWjkatDined on 2/13/2014The food was very good and we ordered off the menu which the chef accommodated without hesitation.Special Features:
- Awesome dining experience--amongScottDined on 1/25/2014Awesome dining experience--among the very best we've encountered in Boston!!! All requests submitted via Opentable were granted for wife's birthday. Superior, friendly service that was just right. I recommend using the valet service, which is a good value and very convenient. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both entrees were delicious.Eatingoutat55Dined on 1/18/2014Both entrees were delicious. The choices were limited to about 5 pasta, 5 additional plates and two specials -- so folks with limited range of preferred foods may find that an issue.Special Features:
- Not trendy but consistentlydinetteVIPDined on 1/18/2014Not trendy but consistently well-prepared dishes served by friendly and attentive staff in one of the most gracious rooms in town. I've never been disappointed here. I hope they keep up doing what they do so well. Thank you Lucca!
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday here and it was very nice! Service extremely attentive to our needs and answered all our questions. Absolutely fabulous oysters!!! Being from New England, we know great shellfish and Lucca's did a wonderful job in its preparation. Have the option of the smaller menu too which was a great option. Delicious scallops, bolognese terrific and pasta wiith wild boar sweet ... But tasty! The flour less chocolate cake was a special birthday surprise and much appreciated. Lovely decor too. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- NicebigbadwolfDined on 1/16/2014I like the food. Several pasta dishes are outstanding including the fettuccine and wild mushrooms. I've been 4 or 5 times and this last time it was surprisingly loud. I think there is a bar area that was unusually vibrant that evening. Service was excellent, as always.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve at Lucca's Back BayJimTennisDined on 12/31/2013Our fourseome had an excellent dinner to close out 2013; the service, food and ambience were all excellent. Everyone made remarks on how good and fresh their meal was. Defintely a great date night destination, or if you plan ahead, a place to have a group gather for a fine meal and conversation.. I must say that we certainly appreciated the great service as well and accomodating menu selection. Bon Appetit allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy New YearrwinkleyDined on 12/31/2013Wonderful evening - though the balloons began to fall too early (New Year's Eve decor). Food and drink superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time, Will Definitely ReturnRobTNHVIPDined on 12/8/2013We enjoyed our experience at Lucca Back Bay very much. We were greeted and brought to our table by a very friendly hostess. The room is beautiful but not stuffy in any way. Food was outstanding, from an antipasti plate to our pastas. The service was very good. We will absolutely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to my expectationABeveningDined on 12/7/2013good location , easy to reach, but the Rib Eye was very hard to chew ! I ointed out to waiter, no action taken. was not in the mood for argument.Special Features: