157 West 47th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aspensocialnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122217200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 10:45am, Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm, Dinner: Daily: 4:30-11pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Santiago Carranza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Aspen Social
Aspen Social features an extensive list of premium tequilas complemented by artisanal cocktails and comfort food with a Colorado flair, all served as small plates perfect for sharing with friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aspen Social reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (6)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (4)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Ate early in the evening,MervynDined on 2/5/2014Ate early in the evening, place not crowded yet still took over 30 minutes for food to be served.
- Great Fondue!HeidiDined on 1/24/2014A friend and I ordered the fondue as an appetizer, it was more than enough food to fill us up, and oh so yummy!! We also got the tuna tartar which was incredible. The prices are great for the quality of food. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Don't botherCharlieVIPDined on 1/11/20145+ years ago this restaurant was in a different location and the quality was much better. Now? Don't bother. My guess is that they'll close within a year.
- Awesome theme/atmosphere!AdSmithVIPDined on 12/29/2013The decor is the best - great design, no kitch. We went on a Sunday and they ONLY had brunch, which was good. I wanted a regular menu but it was the $25 Prix Fixe or nothing, which was a disappointment. The food was quite good (I got an omelette, hard to mess that up...), however, everything else was GREAT!Special Features:
- AttentivenessSteveVIPDined on 12/24/2013We came early and restaurant was pretty quiet. Server was not very attentive. Took 5 minutes just to come by and ask for drink order. We ordered only soft drinks and it took another 5 minutes. Food came out pretty fast as was good. Took some time to get server's attention to ask for check. There were only 2 other tables in entire area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After theater spotJamesDined on 12/21/2013Great to grab a quick bite and/or cocktail after the theater. Great decor, drinks were good, food was good. Not a life changing dining experience but the location and moderate pricing in midtown/ time square cannot be beat. You won't be disappointed. If going out as a couple, you might want to leave before they turn into a nightclub at 11pm, as it becomes extremely loud and nearly impossible to carry a conversation over the PA system and wave of 20-something's. I would come back, but I'd also leave at 10:45 = )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable birthday dinnerBabyJoDined on 12/14/2013Booked dinner here on a friends recommendation. The food was delicious and the service was stellar. They sat us even though the group was incomplete, which I really appreciated since it was snowing and cold outside. I will return another night for dinner because if did see something's on the menu that I would like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun brunch! Unlimited beveragesKateDined on 12/8/2013Fun brunch! Unlimited beverages for two hours, a tasty BLT, and an ambience that was really nice for friends visiting New York for the holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold foodtag123Dined on 12/7/2013Nice atmosphere but the steak and french fries were cold.Special Features:
- Hard to really say if I wouldkellyDined on 12/7/2013Hard to really say if I would recommend it. The place itself is a visual feast. The food was great. HOWEVER - one dinner was not served until we were all done. On waiter cleared some napkins before we were done, they took our desserts plates before we were served and did not understand when we asked them to leave them. We ordered two sides that did not get delivered and they overcooked the hanger steak. When we asked for refills or to order additional food, they were really slow. Tables were not half full. Not busy enough for a decent excuse. We did not bother to say anything but the waiter brought out a s'mores dessert for the table as an effort to smooth things over. It was tasteless.
- Great Restaurant, Poor ServiceJenGDined on 12/7/2013We loved this spot. It was really different and fun. The food was great but service was poor. We had to keep asking, can we order? can we have this can we have that. No one ever checked on us and we felt unimportant. Probably won't be back.
- Always a good experienceWBSMDined on 12/3/2013Went for a quick post-show bite, had a nice time. Food was tasty, drinks were very good, and our "quick meal" turned into a nice 90 minute meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theater DinnerJZRoslynNYVIPDined on 12/1/2013WE went to Aspen Social on a Sunday night after seeing a matinee. The restaurant was a bit on the empty side but the drinks and food were great. The wait staff was very attentive and we all enjoyed our meal. It is a really nice spot in the midst of Times Square, I hope it is more crowded during the week. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- I've been to this restaurantkss0202VIPDined on 11/23/2013I've been to this restaurant many times and have always loved it. (Actually, the menu has changed somewhat and I miss some of those appetizers…) This time the service was terrible. I was embarrassed as I raved about this place to the friend I brought with me. The food was okay - not as good as before, but okay. All in all, I'm not sure I'd recommend this restaurant to a friend.
- I was such a big fan ...cmporter16VIPDined on 11/22/2013I have been coming here for years; love the space and the food was always decent. But my last four visits were disappointing. The space was LOUD, waiter served dessert before we finished our dinner (and (a) it was early ie 730 pm and (b) no one was waiting for a table). My last experience, we waited 5 mins just for anyone to acknowledge us waiting for a table, only to end up seating ourselves and then leaving after ten minutes of LOUD music and no menus, water or waiter service. This was a Tuesday night. Plus the food has become mediocure at best. The only upside, its relatively cheap. I would pay more for better service.
- Different AtmosphereDocCVIPDined on 11/20/2013The lunch specials were good and reasonable. I ordered the rum bread pudding for dessert which took a long time to get and it wasn't worth the wait. The restaurant's environment and music is unique and it's worth the effort to enjoy this experience. Problem is to find the restaurant; it's not really noticeable from the outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/16/2013Food was mediocre at best, service was abysmal, and the wait for our food was insane given that the restaurant was empty when we arrived. We sat at the table for 15 minutes waiting for the waiter to take our order, and he would not acknowledge us. After our meal,the waiter dropped dessert menus on the table without a word, and would walk around the empty restaurant without coming back to see if we wanted anything else. The bus boy was great, water glasses were never empty. Would not go back.
- Why have reservations?Dasmith74Dined on 11/9/2013I had a 7pm reservation and showed up on time. The hostess advised us to sit in the lounge and someone would come and get us when out table was ready. About 10 minutes later we were advised that there was a large party that had gone long and another large party that was an hour late for their reservation so they were going to pull one of their tables for us. Are you doing me a favor? Because I made a reservation. Don't have the time available if you can't seat me. We were then told we would have to be out by 9:30 for a buyout. Our table felt in the way and that a server was either going to drop a drink or food on one of us. I wouldn't say the food was so amazing that I am dying to go back....
- Great food, strange atmosphere!jennoDined on 11/3/2013Went in for a great brunch. When they say unlimited mimosas, they're not kidding! However, the DJ "spinning" at the front of the restaurant seemed excessively unnecessary when there were 7 people eating in the restaurant- and 5 were my party.....Special Features:
- Bad food, amazing ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2013The hostess/waitress was excellent. I was feeling under the weather but stuck to my plans with my friends. After noticing I wasnt feeling well she came over and offered tea. Her service was fast and she was very nice and attentive. I was amazing by the deco. So much I would go back for a happy hour it was really stunning. On a negative note the food was terrible. The home fries were under cooked, bread tasted stale and eggs were salty. My friends pancakes were so bad she barely ate more then a bite even her strawberries on top were off maybe to old. If they invested more energy on their food they could certainly make more money. If they did better on the food they would have more business and more customers and be well rounded.Special Features:
- Not Worth ItmrholywoodVIPDined on 11/1/2013No one ever came to greet us at the hostess stand, no one ever came to ask us anything after we flagged someone down and were told to sit anywhere. We asked for water and that took a while. After the water, no one ever came back. We got fed up and left. I told the manager about how bad the r service was and she said ok.
- Excellent MealBusinessTravelerDined on 10/26/2013I had the theater special with the hanger steak, squash soup and bread pudding. Everything was perfect. The squash soup was like desert where I would close my eyes and let the taste dance on my tongue. When the bread pudding came I was pretty full but, I managed to finish that too. I gave this the rating of hidden gem. The sign is small so you need to make sure you have the address to find your way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still HungryHungryGalDined on 10/22/2013We chose this place as friends had been there pre-theatre and enjoyed it. We arrived at 5:30 to dine before our 7:00pm show, told the waiter of our time constraints and ordered immediately. The wait staff was very nice but a bit too relaxed in their pace even for people not going to the theatre. We ordered fondue, a salad and roast chicken. The fondue was really yummy and fun to share. At 6:35 we realized the time, that we still hadn't received our dinner and had to interrupt the chit chatting wait staff to ask for our entrees. It arrived shortly thereafter but we had to leave. I grabbed two large bites of the chicken on the way out and it was EXCELLENT. I was sad not to have the time to enjoy it. Go here only if you have lots of time.
- OKconnectictutdadDined on 10/15/2013The restaurant held promise, and the ambience is not bad, but the food was bland
- Went with Clients from out of townOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/27/2013They loved the set up of it, and with all of the hustle and bustle of NYC it was more their pace. Food was good but SERVICE WAS WORSE THAN AWFUL! It was completely dead, and we were one of two tables there. I ordered a coffee, and it came out after my meal. It was so slow, it took 2 hours just for breakfast. Food was good... french toast was great. But I wouldn't go back unless I had an entire day to eat.Special Features:
- second time here not like the firstbluestarDined on 6/3/2013I had lunch with a group of 5 at Aspen about a year ago and it was excellent. this time the food was lackluster: the chicken tortilla soup was Ok but not the best. I will say it was very filling with lots of chicken, I ordered a crab salad that was mush. Really tired salad and almost no crab. (tiny flakes of crab mixed in) I did not eat it at all. the waiter offered to get something else, but I declined. INstead he gave me more wine which was fine- but the original portion of wine was much smaller than normal it seemed to me. sorry to say I won't be going back,.
- The Aspen Social Club hadOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/28/2013The Aspen Social Club had so few people in it the other night at the pre- theater dinner hour we weren't sure it was open. We were only one of only two occupied tables in a rather vast space. The décor was interesting, featuring beautiful wood and many antlers in a creative ceiling design. The service was not indifferent but incompetent. We waited forever for our drinks and my white wine spritzer has to be returned twice, once because it was made with Sprite (!) and the second time because the club soda was flat. The food was satisfactory but not at all memorable. We would not return and I am wondering how long this restaurant can stay open, with quite a few glaring faults and no customers.
- Cool place, good food, andCyd3Dined on 5/11/2013Cool place, good food, and great service. Our waiter was awesome and so accomodating. Came here for the bottomless brunch and would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love that there's a realOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2013I love that there's a real restaurant in midtown with tasty food where you can sit down and catch up with pals on their lunch hour. Nice ambiance, good for conversation, and we all enjoyed our food. I especially liked the polenta fries, tortilla soup, and tuna tartare. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Dinner after a showOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2013Received a confirmation phone call 3 hours prior to my reservation & the hostess asked if I can come 30 minutes early, which I couldn't because the show we saw ended at that time. There were only a few other tables filled when we arrived, service was quick and our waitress and servers were polite. However, we were a bit rushed to order because the kitchen was closing (I guess this is why I was asked to cone earlier). Please don't accept reservations at a certain time if it is too late for the restaurant. Food was good, nothing amazing. I was there with a friend who took me out for my bday and she & the waitress previously discussed a cake to come out, but the cake never came. I didn't mind but my friend was upset.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed a pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013We really enjoyed a pre-theatre dinner on Saturday night. Surprisingly quiet on a Saturday night given the location just off Times Square. The restaurant is more of a lounge and dinner service doesn't seem to be the primary focus of the place (which explains why it was quiet), but don't let that stop you. Service was attentive and the food was excellent. Our group, which included teenagers, had the Ribs, Branzino and Hanger Steak. All were pleased. We will return again.
- Work on the kitchen payingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2013Work on the kitchen paying attention to what is actually on the ticket. The speed and accuracy of the kitchen left a great deal to be desired. The dining room was 3/4 empty and it took over 20 minutes for 2 burgers (1 med rare and 1 rare and 2 salads). If you're going to be in the theatre district you have to be fast and accurate.
- I usually love Aspen SocialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013I usually love Aspen Social Club and have eaten here many times. But on this last visit my roast pork was terribly overcooked and very tough. I had brought business clients there for dinner, and one of them also ordered the pork chops based on my recommendations. Very bad experience.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2013Great brunch, really good deal: $25 for a meal and unlimited mimosa or bloody. They do unlimited right - no time limit, and they leave a carafe on your table. The place is gorgeous, but practically empty on a Sunday afternoon. The music was a bit too loud, trying for a clubby/lounge vibe. Great food, great service - our waiter was super cute and nice, he encouraged us to stay at the table and drink until brunch ends at 4.Special Features:
- We were in NYC for a weekendTravelerDined on 3/23/2013We were in NYC for a weekend and decided to try this restaurant. It was on Open Table and convenient, but we did have some difficulty finding it. The sign is quite small and what a great find. It was charming inside and our hope for a light supper was certainly realized when my husband ordered a burger and I had the Cobb salad - both delicious. And our waiter was great too!!Special Features:
- Reasonable priced food that'sTheatretripperDined on 3/21/2013Reasonable priced food that's generally quite good, excellent service, casual ambience, all just a few steps away from so many Broadway theaters. An excellent pre-theater dining choice.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but thesrw1Dined on 3/21/2013Food was very good, but the service was no where to be found, and for a such a small space, made it even more frustratingSpecial Features:
- pre-theater findpaulaVIPDined on 3/16/2013Went to aspen social club for a pre-theater meal Saturday night. Our waiter was attentive.we were asked if what time our show was they could have us out in plenty of time. We ordered the fondue with steak and it was delicious. There was so much to dip the cheese sauce that we decided to split an entree. The DRI k menu was interesting. I ordered the caprainaha (?) and it was really strong but good. I would definitely go back.
- Decent if you need a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2013Decent if you need a place close to the theatre district. Drinks will advertise one brand, but they pour another
- this was badJessVIPDined on 3/9/2013I feel bad even writing this post but it was really brutal. The atmosphere was incredible and actually the drinks were great but the menu selection and service was very very disappointing.