SEI restaurant & lounge
444 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
SEI restaurant & lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.seirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027837007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12midnight
Saturday: 4:00pm - 12 midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Noriyaki Yasutake & Avinesh Rana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from SEI restaurant & lounge
Modern Asian cuisine from award winning Sushi Master Noriaki Yasutake and Chef Avinesh Rana. The intimate space, located next to the Landsburgh Theater, features seating for 70, sushi bar seating 10 and a cozy lounge area. Yasutake & Rana offers their modern spin on traditional sushi, specialty rolls and Asian fare. An extensive half bottle sake list has been specially selected by sommelier, Andrew Stover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SEI restaurant & lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (67)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (47)hot spot (35)great for lunch (35)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (23)late-night find (11)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- YummyDidiDined on 6/29/2014Delicious Food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance.Special Features:
- Great and Unique Sushi, but LoudPdC2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was very good. However the restaurant was extremely loud. It made conversations very difficult. The menu was full of very good and unique sushi rolls. They also have "tapas", small cooked plates. The scallops was especially good. Restaurant is good for groups. But dinner for two is not recommended if you want conversation.Special Features:
- incredible foodpennquarterfoodDined on 6/28/2014After recently moving into the area, I was so pleased to find this gem a block from my apartment. It's no my go-to place when I have friends in town. The food is consistently great - flavorful, yet light. I have yet to have a mediocre dish. Highly recommend! Favorites include the kale salad, Fish and Chips roll, and fish tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dinnerMeriEatzDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed pre-dinner cocktails & highly recommend the Pink Lady. Feasted on salad and suchi: Fish & Chips particularly delightful because the 'crunch' balanced the creamy tartare sauce. Surprise mini-birthday cake completed the meal; excellent service at a wonderful restaurant; one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/25/2014I have been wanting to try SEI for a really long time - too bad it took me so long. I will be back for sure, went there for lunch and would love to try it for dinner. The food was fantastic and service even better. Really not easy to find something like that in a nice environment. Can't wait for next time.Special Features:
- Interesting menulocaldinerDined on 6/22/2014We went with a friend for early dinner, and ordered a mixture of small plates (2) and sushi rolls (3). This fed three people nicely. My husband and I enjoyed our glass of sake, and appreciated the offer of a free taste of a stronger version. Perhaps because we came early, we were not rushed by the wait staff, and the noise level was moderate. We would recommend SEI to anyone who enjoys Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sei What?VanceDined on 6/21/2014This is the fourth or fifth time we've dined her and the first time on Saturday night. It was very busy and very noisy. We had the misfortune of sitting next to a large table that was occupied with a birthday celebration group when we got there and after they left a big group of nine young women & three men took the table. The food here is excellent but the room is bare walls and glass. It was not easy to hear above the din & we left a bit earlier than we might have othewise. If you like interesting and creative food, you want to eat here. But go on Sunday or an early week night if you want to talk to you dining companions.Special Features:
- Sushi you can count on!dclingVIPDined on 6/20/2014When I need a sushi fix --- I head to SEI. the summer non alcoholic drinks are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of DissappointingZiPpDined on 6/19/2014After hearing so much about this great Japanese restaurant Sei, we were surprised to find a hipped up venue and lame attempts to create new Japanese dishes. We thought the quality of some sushi was good--Kobe beef roll, fresh hamachi, and decent crab roll--to rather poor--wet pack scallop, insipid red tuna, and wasabi with no heat. Don't waste your time or appetite on wasabe guacamole, what a scam: very ordinary guacamole with a lump of tasteless wasabi on the side. Their "innovative" take on Brussels sprouts is roasted sprouts with bits of chopped kimchee and bits of peanuts. There are also lots of non-sushi items for those who were shanghaied into coming. At these prices and with this hipster noise level, we won't be back.Special Features:
- Father's Day Dinner 2014TeeCeeDined on 6/15/2014The decor is what drew me to SEI, but the service and food brings me back! The Crunchy Shrimp roll is SO delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!BabsDined on 6/15/2014We are season subscribers to STC & eat in Penn Quarter often. We had walked by Sei many times in the past & just hadn't tried it yet; we are so glad we did this time!! The menu is inventive & wonderful; a nice change from what is usually thought of as a "sushi" restaurant. My husband has a guide dog & they were prepared for our arrival, planning which table would be good with room for Sultan to be with us. We will certainly dine here again.Special Features:
- Romantic ambience and great food.FoodieDined on 6/13/2014Alligator ribs is particularly great. So as egg fried rice. Flan and pudding was awesome too. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative fusionsrpattDined on 6/7/2014"Fish and Chips" with an Asian twist tells you a lot about SEI's creative approach to the world of sushi/sashimi. There are a number of intriguing options for discerning diners who already have a passing familiarity with chopsticks, soy sauce, and wasabi, although the do it yourself rolls were a bit disappointing. The wait staff was very helpful in explaining the menu and making recommendations. Like a lot of small plate restaurants, SEI does not overstuff diners--we underestimated how much food would be enough--and the price tag can escalate rapidly if you're not careful. But with a great location for pre- or post-theater dining and quick and friendly service, SEI is a welcome presence in Penn Quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere & foodNvisitorVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always bring guests here looking for sushi. Not a huge selection but the quality is excellent, the service is good, the ambiance is cool. All around, a place I rerun to over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALMOST FABULOUSAxwall8Dined on 6/4/2014It may seem expensive but it offers very good value if you choose carefully. I ordered three small plates and they proved more than sufficient. The kale salad was beautifully prepared and enough for two. The waitstaff was attentive and helpful without being intrusive. My only complaint is about the decor. It's a basement space and a little gloomy. Ubiquitous white projects sterility. Chairs and banquettes should be ergonomic but are not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overallEnvy7258Dined on 6/4/2014I liked the food but I felt like the service was slow... The decor is beautiful howeverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overallAmandaWilsonDined on 5/30/2014We had the best time at Sei! Great drinks, excellent service, and amazing sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, as usualAussieVIPDined on 5/28/2014As usual my friends and I enjoyed a most pleasant lunch. The wasabi guacamole is a nice twist and the sushi is always fresh. The bento box lunch is a great value.Special Features:
- ServiceDSMKEVIPDined on 5/23/2014Amazing service! Our waitress went over the menu and provided se good options for us. Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!stlgirlindcVIPDined on 5/21/2014The food is always inventive, beautifully present and delicious! I enjoyed entertaining a guest from out town who loved everything! Oh, and the specialty cocktails are outstanding!Special Features:
- The following 1327 reviews are from the SEI restaurant & lounge reviews archive.
- Reservations don't mean muchannielouDined on 5/17/2014While all-in-all I had a good experience at SEI last time I was there, I was a little surprised that despite acknowledging our reservation when we arrived at 8pm, it took an additional 40 minutes to actually have my group seated. I tend to approach reservations as a way to ensure that you're NOT going to have to wait when you arrive, clearly SEI does not have the same viewpoint. The good news is they eventually - after we pressed the issue - offered us a round of free drinks, and ensured that message was passed along to our waiter when we were finally seated. The food was also great once we had an opportunity to order and eat. But standing in the bar for 40 minutes waiting for a table was not exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday.
- A "must-do" in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014The fusion Sushi was outstanding. We are having Sushi a lot but this was something different and some Sushi creations were really new to us. Very recommendable. Very good cocktails too.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal at SEIannesandalgotodinnerDined on 5/16/2014SEI was a wonderful choice for dinner after a day at the Mall- a block from our hotel, Hotel Monaco- great as well- we walked to dinner. The waiter was attentive, but sensitive to whether we wanted more or less attention- he offered choices for the beverages- wine for me and scotch for my husband- excellent choices and then dinner recommendations. We loved the sushi, but the star of the meal was the shrimp tacos- excellent. There were three loaded tacos- in size and flavor- I wish we had ordered these items first as we would have had another! Next visit, we will be back for more.Special Features:
- Amazing!connyDined on 5/16/2014I love this place. The food is incredible. I love Chef Nori's sushi!!Special Features:
- Sleek and UnexpectedCarolynVIPDined on 5/14/2014The unusual sushi is delicious. The fish and chips roll and the shrimp roll were my favorites, also recommend the fish tacos.Special Features:
- Penn Quarter Asian FusionFoodJunkieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Another small plates concept - and there may be too many of these in Penn Quarter. I had a salad and scallops and a nice wine. My dining partner had the chicken salad, a martini, and a create-your-own sushi rolls that comes out looking like an 'ice cream cone' - you really need to eat it with your hands. Nice concept but who really wants to eat with their hands when you are out on a Saturday night? Ambiance and service were worth the visit. Our server was patient with our conversation - walked us through the somewhat limited menu - the cocktail and wine menu was larger than the food menu. The food we ordered came out at the right temperature and had good flavor. The sauce on my scallops was nice and spicy, not the normal scallops.Special Features:
- Delicious sushi!Chem1tchrDined on 5/9/2014Great spot for sushi. I tried the SOS roll which was a little out of my comfort zone (salmon and strawberries)- but it was delicious! Ended up ordering more. The only downside to this restaurant was the noise factor... Be prepared to talk loudly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sushi everSUSANARDined on 5/8/2014Last week I was with a friend who had never tried sushi (I know, weird but true). I wanted to take him to SEI, but I was a little worried because he was not convinced about the experience. However when he finally tried it and I saw his face, I knew that he became a SEI lover, and with a huge smile in his face told me that we would come back for sure ¨this sushi is incredibly delicious¨.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014Service was very friendly and accommodating. This was my second time here, I had to come back for the wasabi guacamole.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2014The food was decent, but I found it extremely overpriced. However, the service was great and the ambiance is excellent for a romantic date or a night out with a good friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightsKfd13Dined on 5/2/2014My husband and I go for date nights from time to time. It's always delicious!Special Features:
- Just wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2014This was my first time dining here and it was wonderful all around. Don't worry if you're not a sushi fan, the tapas style menu has lots of other options. I had the alligator ribs which were totally delicious. The pork bellies also were vey good. My husband had lamb and kobe sliders. We had some other dishes that also were great, but I can't remember what they were. I plan to return and try some of the other dishes, including sushi and also have some sake. Please give this place a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experienceOuteverynighttoeatVIPDined on 5/1/2014From the warm beer to the not so fresh sushi very dissapointing even the asparagus was tasteless
- DC Hot SpotLuvtrendyspotsDined on 4/26/2014Our service was fantastic. A 20 percent gratuity is automatically added to your bill. The food was good and so were the drinks. The drinks were pricey but would expect any less in DC. The atmosphere was gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and experienceMarkHDined on 4/26/2014This was our second trip to SEI. The food and service were exceptional for the second time. We're already planning our next trip back. Don't miss this superb restaurant!
- Great atmosphere and good foodTaraDined on 4/26/2014We had gone here for a birthday with both sushi lovers and haters. SEI had a great selection of both. The sushi was good quality and the tacos were particularly tasty. Of the desserts we tried 3 of which the chocolate fondant with artisan ice cream was by far the best. Also the crocodile ribs were surprisingly good. The food was a bit on the expensive side for the small plates but reasonable with deals and the ambiance and wait staff were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- acallVIPDined on 4/25/2014Salmon Nigiri was DELICIOUS. Try SOS and fish and chips rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative sushiva1evan5Dined on 4/25/2014We really enjoyed the sushi. The wine list was a bit lacking.Special Features:
- Service is fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/24/2014Sei has such a great feel, you have to go back after the first time. The service is so accommodating, friendly, and adapt to your personality actually. Small portions, tapas style but they're still filling. Need about 5 for 2 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top knotch sushi and cocktailsJMGatesDined on 4/22/2014My husband and I took his uncle out for dinner recently, and having eaten at SEI once before, we were eager to return (we still had another gift card from a Groupon purchase). He loved the ambiance, and enjoyed the sushi as much as we did. SEI is quickly becoming one of our favorite places to go in Penn Quarter. The sushi rolls are creative and delicious (listen to your server and try the SOS and the Fish and Chips rolls), and the cocktails are wonderful! I got a cocktail with citrus vodka and elderflower, and it was lovely. They also have a great sake list, and some really good small, hot plates (alligator ribs, the sauce is addictive!). We're already talking about our next trip back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.