Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
1225 Johnston Road
White Rock, BC v4b 3y8Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: CAN$30 and under
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.onyxsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 6045420334x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 7 days/week from 4:00pm till late
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Luke Exelby
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The premise behind Aquamarine is simple: love for superior cuisine, and genuine hospitality.
In addition to our fine food and friendly, polished staff, we provide a full array of additional catering services. This includes items such as china, silverware, and stemware; customize centerpieces, table dressings, flower arrangements, stages, tents as well as entertainment and valet services.
For more info please visit www.aquamarinecatering.ca
- Private Party Facilities: Want to feel like a celebrity. Well the dining room @ Onyx gives you just that. We offer our venue for all kinds of private functions whether it be posh executive parties, special birthday celebrations or any reason to eat drink and be merry.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Cochrane 8779251450
- Special Events: The best place in White Rock for your Birthday Party! Come and enjoy our relaxed service in a fun and vibrant room.
- Cross Street: Pacific
- Public Transit: Across the street from restaurant use transit stop for bus 354 (Vancouver) and C52 (White Rock).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Want to come to White Rock but hate the parking. Not to worry at Onyx. With ample FREE parking in the surrounding area or if you prefer, enjoy the VIP lifestyle and use our private parking around back and come through kitchen.
A word from Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse, a place where familiar classics are re-spun into new favourites. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our taem, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock - Best Restaurants in White Rock ›
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (14)romantic (11)notable wine list (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- top notchyummyDined on 10/29/2013My wife and I had a great time! All you can ask for in a modern steakhouse. On top of extremely hospitable staff, great food, and energetic environment they had it down to the finest of details. Warm hand towels for the ribs, cozy booths and even sharp steak knives for cutting the steak ( could have used butter knives though). Found my new home for a great steak! Know more trips to Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had another great dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2013had another great dinner at Onyx. The cauliflower gratin was awesome. Price point is less than the Keg and quality is way better. Top notch service from Mark too. a favorite date night spot or a place to go have a drink and some appies at the bar, we always have a great time.Special Features:
- A Great fitRMCMDined on 10/26/2013We were looking for a nice place to relax, share a few appies and enjoy some wine. Onyx fit the bill just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steak and more!KiltedDined on 10/26/2013My wife and I finally get a chance to get away from the kids for a night on our anniversary and instead of hitting the usual steak house we took the advice of a couple friends and booked a reservation at Onyx, White Rock. We could not have been more pleased with the recommendation. Our server, Ben, was excellent with his knowledge of the menu/wine, and took the time to cover all our questions making us feel most welcome. The meal itself was amazing. The calamari was light. The steak! Cooked perfect and melted in our mouths. Best I have had in a while. Oh if you have enough room left and someone to share with the chocolate cake looks amazing. Already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2013Great steaks, excellent service, really nice atmosphere, loved the playlist and the wine. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Great Friday evening post workAndrewDined on 10/25/2013Great ambience and service for our Friday evening post work snacks and drinks. While this is a steak house, the appy menu is great. Can't miss on the tempura bacon. Locally owned place, recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks and the ambiencebettersteaksDined on 10/19/2013Great steaks and the ambience was very nice. I would definitely recommend this restaurant as an alternative to the keg....longer aged and better grade of meat that was cooked to perfection. The service was attentive without being in your face, which I really appreciate. Overall a much better experience than the Keg or similar style restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service wasSieglindeDined on 10/12/2013Food was great, service was exceptional.....glad to see choices that include your potato, veggies etc. The prime rib was excellent as was the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our group ordered three filetsdisappointeddinerDined on 10/4/2013Our group ordered three filets for dinner, two 10 oz, one 5 oz petit filet. The petit filet was ridiculously small, thin and was overcooked. It was a medallion, not a steak. There is no way this little thing was half the size of the other two. I told the server who did not seem especially concerned. Ordered Lobster and Truffle mac & cheese which was overpriced and tasteless. This restaurant used to make a gorgonzola mac & cheese which was fantastic. Service was very slow and I found lipstick on the water glass. This restaurant was great once, but has gone downhill. For the prices they charge, I expect much better food and service. I used to recommend Onyx, but after this experience I would not recommend it to anyone.
- poor service.notafoodyDined on 9/28/2013our waitress only came to our table 3 times and we waited 20min for drinks. good food though... despite the fact I bit down on a popcorn kernel that I found in the mashed potatoes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for fourDineoutisgr8Dined on 9/21/2013Overall our dinner experience was great. We all liked the menu, especially ordering side dishes that we all shared, which meant we could have more than one type of vegie. Prime rib was tasty, three of us ordered it, but we all did agree that the au'jus sauce wasn't to our liking, which was ok as the prime rib was fine on it's own. The service was excellent, the staff was very attentive, friendly and made us feel as our first experience at the restaraunt was very important to them. I would certainly recommend Onyx to anyone looking for a relaxing night out to enjoy with good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRgcscorpioDined on 9/13/2013Great food, great service as usual. Never a bad meal to be had in the numerous times I have been to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Onyx!TheHuntsDined on 9/12/2013we really appreciate having a fine dining restaurant close to home! we can walk there, enjoy a nice bottle of wine, some delicious food and relax! The creamed corn is to die for! :) and our steaks are always perfectly cooked to order!! its always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had the 12oz NY Chicago styleLoveOystersDined on 9/9/2013Had the 12oz NY Chicago style it was the best steak I have had in a very long time. I will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, our experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2013As usual, our experience was wonderful at Onyx. Beside the food which is excellent, the staff is very friendly. All staff no matter if they are waiting on you or not, will take time to stop by your table and speak to you. We found our waitress was very well informed about their wines which was excellent as there were several that were not familiar to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedRollyDined on 9/2/2013Food was average, Bill was huge....we were not impressed
- very tough steak our first timelady2Dined on 8/17/2013Service was a bit slow and my steak was not great had to send it back and the chef said it was tough and sorry about that and our waiter said the same thing while my husband had his dinner so he waited for me to have mine but the new steak was very good and the mac & cheese with lobster was very good. .So our experience could be a bit better for the price of the food dinner for two came to $116.12I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 year latermejaneoDined on 8/9/201310 years ago my now husband and I had our first date at what was then the "Gills and Grapes" We moved away for many years and upon our recent return,discovered the restaurant was now Onyx Steakhouse. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to have dinner at the non "Gills and Grapes" from years ago but at the last minute decided to go for it. It wasn't at all the same except for the open window seating onto the street which in my mind is lovely. Coming from Montreal where patio dining in summer is the norm this was pretty close. Anyway Onyx did not disappoint. Highlights....waiter Mark, Hoisin Beef Wraps, Braised Lamb Shank, Banana Split and a decent Malbec in our price range. We will be back as the menu is very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing New Yorks steaks!Gordon95Dined on 7/28/2013Amazing New Yorks steaks! Love all the side dishes! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In need of helpSoakyDined on 7/20/2013The staff was friendly but the food and drinks left a bad taste. My wife ordered a Martini and she had to ask the server for olives. I ordered a Margarita and it was so sour I couldn't drink it. They didn't charge for it, thank goodness. My wife ordered a Tenderloin that was tough with grissel and was a bit over cooked. We have been here before and had some good and some similar experiences. Not sure if we will come again.
- We had a great meal! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2013We had a great meal! The food was super....the service was great. THanksSpecial Features:
- At onyx you get what you payOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2013At onyx you get what you pay for as the quality, Preparation and presentation are always very good. The staff accommodating and lastly the chocolate cake is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third visit - always a treatCarolineDined on 7/7/2013Our group of four enjoyed steak and lamb mains and scrumptious desserts of creme brule trio...most of the enormous slice of chocolate gateau was enjoyed the next day with coffee. This was my third visit...always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FOOD AND SERV ICE WASOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2013THE FOOD AND SERV ICE WAS GREAT ALONG WITH THE AMBIENCE. BUT I DO NOT LIKE PAYING OVER $40 FOR $14 WINE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at the restaurant,weOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2013First time at the restaurant,we found it very noisy with open bar area(blender going mixing various drinks,tv on). Hard to call this a restaurant,should be called a bar. Poor choice for our anniversary dinner. Meals,service,etc was ok,not great.Special Features:
- Good BeefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2013Top sirloin and prime rib were both good, but not exceptional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Darn GoodJamesBoogalooDined on 6/22/2013Due to our schedule we were rushed but the service was outstanding and the food and wine selection was excellent . Got our meals quickly , no glitches . Good joint !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Onxy White RockVancouveriteDined on 6/11/2013Enjoyed my meal but was disappointed in the wine selection. It was the first time for us not to have a glass of white wine prior to our meal. We did ask if there was any white wine by the glass on the menu that wasnt listed and was told no. The red wine selection was slightly better. Please revisit your wine list. Thank you It's a good place for summer big group as they have the ability to open patio doors. Is cozy and romantic during the colder months. Bar area was nice. HarjeetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Onyx - second visitpartyof4Dined on 6/7/2013We enjoyed our first meal at Onyx a few months ago. Our second visit to Onyx on 06/07/2013 was to celebrate a milestone birthday with friends who'd never heard of this restaurant. Highlights: delicious crispy homemade salt & vinegar potato chips; jumbo prawn cocktail, albacore tuna salad, steaks in demi glaze& lobster, amazing "sharing dish" of macaroni & cheese with lobster & truffle oil. Minor disappointments: prime rib was unavailable; server was charmless. The kitchen staff (& whoever is making Onyx desserts) overcompensated for the server. The 7 layer chocolate fudge cake generously frosted was indescribably scrumptious, as was creme brulee trio. Tip: Early in day call & confirm early menu items you are expecting will be available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable! Food delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2013Always enjoyable! Food delicious, a gem in our community that deserves our support!Special Features:
- Great place to go with friends!Jenn12Dined on 5/30/2013Great food, drinks, knowledgeable and friendly service! Topped with scrumptious dessert and fantastic friends!! Great experience all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great to show off aLovethebeegDined on 5/29/2013It was great to show off a local restaurant to friends from out of town who thoroughly enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best prime rib ANYWHERE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2013I have never been disappointed at this restaurant. It's a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for!!Special Features:
- As always perfect steaks ,LostkaraDined on 5/17/2013As always perfect steaks , perfect sides. We had a great Anniversary Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our evening was specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2013Food was superb! Service was even better! We were never rushed, everything was explained to us, and the wine recomendation was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating styleHungryboyDined on 5/15/2013This was an eating style that was very different & enjoyable. It would be good for special occasions to try their excellent menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Price ConfusionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2013Restaurant web page indicated the Sunday special, "Prime Rib" dinner between 4 and 6 PM was $15.95, and after 6 PM $18.95. Our reservation was 6:00 PM. In the restaurant the Prime Rib was priced at $19.95. I pointed out the discrepancy to the waitress. The Manger explaned, and not in an apologetic manner, the restaurant menu was only about two weeks old; the web page had not been changed. It was what it was. No offer to honour the price of $15.95. The waitress, spoke to the Manager; she told us they would honour the $15.95 price but exclude (I think she said gnocchies, from our plate). The Prime Rib was OK, but the response from the arrogant Manager left a bad taste in our mouth. Will not be returning because of Manager's attitude.Special Features:
- Nothing very special ....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2013First of all, we were seated so close to the kitchen that I was closer to the waiters & waitresses than I was to my wife and daughter. The "medium rare" roast beef was so rare that it looked almost raw! The wine & cauliflower au gratin was very good as was our waiter but we were not impressed.
- overall a good experience,canadianaDined on 5/12/2013overall a good experience, bit small, but enjoyed the meal and ambianceSpecial Features:
- Gone Down HillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2013I used to frequent Onyx regularly, hadn't been in a while. Have to say that the drinks and staff were up to par and the old level of service, but the food has really gone down hill. The steak was tough and the ribs were tasteless. They once were a great place with quality ingredients, but it would seem that quality of the meat is not on the same level as it once was. It used to be one of my favorite places to go, but I have to say that based on my last experience and with the choices of where to spend my dining dollars I won't be back.