Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
700 E Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivanavypier.com/
- Phone: 3126447482x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Mon - Thur: 5:00pm – 9:30pm; Fri 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sat 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sun 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luigi Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Phil Stefani Signature Events is a full service off-site catering department, specializing in events of all types.
- Special Events: Riva offers three private dining rooms for your special occasions and corporate events. The skyline creates a beautiful background for any event. Contact Michelle Mori at email@example.com for more information.
A word from Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Chicago skyline & Lake Michigan at Riva on the Navy Pier. Featuring a variety of premium seafood, steaks & daily chef’s specials, the nautically inspired dining room is complimented by the experienced service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (268)special occasion (165)romantic (119)good for groups (89)fit for foodies (86)great for lunch (55)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (31)hot spot (31)kid-friendly (31)late-night find (27)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (14)Show More
- Doesn't disappointwarmweatherfanDined on 7/19/2014Riva Crabhouse is my 'go to' when looking for someplace special. While lunch is my usual fare, the dinner is as wonderful. Beautiful view, personable waitstaff and scrumptious fare.Special Features:
- Great seafood resturant with a viewgrandpa5Dined on 7/18/2014The service was great. The lobster diavlo was enjoyed by all and the halibut was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's night outdsmatchDined on 7/18/2014A group of 10 of us came here for a girl's night out and we had a blast. Our thinking was that we would be able to continue the fun after dinner in the beer garden downstairs. I didn't expect the food to be so good and I was pleasantly surprised. I tried the pork belly and a variety of oysters as appetizers. We were also able to special order oysters Rockefeller, which I had never had, and those were very good. The lobster bisque, clam chowder and halibut over risotto were outstanding. I had a chocolate something for dessert...I don't remember how that was or if it was good. I had already had a few chocolate and lemon drop martinis...Yum.Special Features:
- Great break from bizBillandChuckDined on 7/18/2014A colleague and I slipped away from a multi-day business meeting to Riva. For me it was a return; for her, her first time. It didn't hurt that it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day, and we walked from Michigan Ave. to Navy Pier and back . . . so we were in great spirits, obviously, when we arrived. Riva added to our enjoyment of our day's getaway. Our table was ready immediately, on the window overlooking the pier an and lake as requested. Our server was perfect. And the food was delicious (we each had roasted lobster). It's not for the faint-of-wallet, but it's not exceptionally pricey either - splurge and enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent. However for the prices it wasn't the best $40 meal I've ever had. Only the entree was included no starters for the price. Noisier than expected for a fine dining experience. Many other good restaurants to choose from. Save your money.Special Features:
- What a view!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The Crabhouse was an excellent choice for our anniversary meal. The service was wonderful and the view was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View. Okay food.PaulaVIPDined on 7/13/2014On Navy Pier, this is a great spot to people watch. Service was terrific and view was great. We sat at a window seat (ask for this when you reserve your table). The food was just "okay". At $100 per person w/a bottle of average wine, our expectations are high and the choices many in Chicago. I had halibut and my husband had lobster. Both were generous portions but slightly over cooked. My lobster risotto was perfect, however, and the gumbo was good. If you are going to Navy Pier anyway, I would recommend this restaurant. If you are making a special trip, skip it. Way to expensive for what you get. There are better choices easier to get to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the spoiled....OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014If you are wanting a restaurant that you can pull right up to and be dropped off, this is not the one. We were told there was a drop off point, however, our driver could not find it. It was a rainy evening, so we were dropped at the front of Navy Pier and had to walk to the restaurant, half way down. Not a problem usually, but if the weather is bad or you are dressed for the evening in a high heel, not fun. When we left, we exited thru the parking garage and were told cabs line up. Not the case, we stood at the curb with umbrella's and luckily after about 30 minutes (and 11:30 at night) a private sedan came by and we flagged him down for a ride, fortunately. The view for the fireworks at Navy Pier are priceless.Special Features:
- Riva at Navy PierBoatingDinerDined on 7/12/2014It has been some time since I have been here. The food was delicious although a bit pricey. the view was great and the Valet Parking is a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okdokeyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Riva consistently provides an exceptional dining experience! We frequently take the little commuter boat from our highrise to the restaurant for lunch. And we love having dinner here. Mr. Stefani does it right!! Not only is it obvious from the wonderful food and service, but you can "feel" it and see it in the long-time employees who stay with him and even recognize us (or act as if they do!) to always make a welcoming experience here. One of the waiters came over to talk to us and ask how we were---we knew him from the long-closed Lino's Restaurant in the Stefani portfolio! ALWAYS AN EXCEPTIONAL AND DELIGHTFUL DINING EXPERIENCE!!Special Features:
- Wonderful view, food and service!Daenerys313Dined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed dinner with a view on Friday evening. I was a little surprised it wasn't busy but maybe 6:30pm was early for dinner. Our waiter was attentive, pleasant and funny. I ordered the rack of lamb. The presentation was impressive and the taste was fabulous including the vegetables and potatoes. I ordered the flourless chocolate cake which is usually something I love, but the taste seemed a little off. Again the presentation was lovely. The Chilean Sea Bass was evidently tasty, but the presentation was just ordinary. The view cannot be beat and was exactly what I'd been hoping for. Overall a lovely dining experience and I will return. I'll probably try the "Big Chocolate Cake" for dessert instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014A little overpriced for the food that was delivered. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningMaryVIPDined on 7/9/2014Our server was outstanding, the food delicious. My niece has food allergies and the waiter and the chef took care of making sure the preparation of the meal was delicious.Special Features:
- All round excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Took friends to dinner who where visiting Chicago for the first time and they loved the food and the views of the lake. Great food, good friends, excellent service. we sat for hours without feeling that we were over extending our stay. Thank you Riva for a wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:
- Great food awesome service!!!Nort72Dined on 7/5/2014Awesome place to watch the fireworks and while enjoying each others company and outstanding desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationSher13Dined on 7/5/2014Wonderful place to celebrate with significant other! Expensive but the food and ambience were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th of JulyIndday14Dined on 7/4/2014Good service, did not rush us, explained menu well. Had oysters, stemmed muscles and Dover sole. All good, very friendly even on a busy (and my birthday) night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccampDined on 7/4/2014In addition to the excellent food, service was outstanding. Our server was helpful and very outgoing. A pleasure to tlk with . Top notch!Special Features:
- Great view of the pierTylerlewis62Dined on 7/4/2014The food was ok, I had the New York strip and added lobster. The steak was cooked well, but under seasoned. The lobster I felt was a little over cooked.Special Features:
- Memorable mealTxdinerDined on 7/4/2014Our family was visiting over the 4th and we decided to take them to RIVA. It was superb as always. We ordered oysters on the menu. They were fresh and chilled slightly. I ordered crab cakes and they were tasty and complimented by an Asian style slaw. One person at the table ordered crab claws. After devouring them with very little conversation, we knew it was a hit.Special Features:
- Delicious dining!GoodwyngrrlDined on 7/3/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Riva in Chicago on the Navy Pier. Considering I had to cancel, rebook and then change the amount of people on my reservation, they never skipped a beat. I even requested something with easy access due to a foot injury and they were completely prepared for us. We enjoyed appetizers and drinks in the bar downstairs- the hummus was to die for! The bartender was courteous but not hovering, which we appreciate. When it was time for dinner, we went upstairs and they were ready for us. Our waiter, Donald I believe, gave great suggestions and we took him up on his recommendation. The Alaskan Halibut with Lobster Risotto was amazing. We also had the flour-less chocolate cake for dessert- it was the perfect ending!Special Features:
- Salt - salt - salthate2muchsaltDined on 7/2/2014We were disappointed with the food. Everything was over salted - the vegetables, potatoes and main courses. We have dined at this restaurant before and always enjoyed the food. This chef was salt crazy. We will not be returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- Simply Amazing!BarryDined on 6/30/2014Perfect ambience! Best seafood I've ever eaten! Perfect Location! And special thanks to our waiter Jose whose service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot in a great city.Luv2eatDined on 6/28/2014The view was great. The salmon was perfect and the lamb was excellent.Special Features:
- Love this ResturantFoodie2Dined on 6/28/2014Every time I visit Chicago I try to eat at Riva's. The seafood is fresh and tastes great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great views of the lakeBCH21Dined on 6/27/2014We had good food and service at this spot. Sit outside and catch a great view of the boats and the lake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014The food was very good. The staff was very attentive. Loved the ambiance. You can look at the skyline or at the lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Sub Par FoodKyleVIPDined on 6/21/2014Been to Riva for many special occasions in the past and the view was great as usual. However, the food was below expectations. Ordered papardelle with crab, which had very little crab (if any) and the fresh pasta was overcooked. Will consider other scenic options for future special occasions.Special Features:
- Outstanding diningThankfulDined on 6/21/2014Everything--food, service, view of lake, friendliness of staff-was perfect for our special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weirdest worst service trumped foodstAceofBaseDined on 6/21/2014Restaurant itself was really nice, food was delicious. But our server was terrible and it ended up taking over our entire experience. He was a grumpy old man who didn't greet us, barely talked to us, and we couldn't communicate with him. Got our wines either wrong or switched around. One entree didn't arrive. Server hovered around table constantly looking at his pad of paper and us trying to sort out orders. Apparently separate checks wasn't possible so he did them in pairs. Bills were all screwed up. Early on, talked to manager and he handled it very poorly, calling him over in front of us, rest of meal was incredibly awkward. Forgotten entrée and dessert were free but wasn't enough for ruining our experience we wanted to be special.Special Features:
- excellent meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Arrived on time and found a very nice table at the window --- waiter very helpful and the fish was fresh as can be. Excellent meal to top of the weekend. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise FindLuckyDined on 6/14/2014I found this restaurant online and decided to try it on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by the great location, food and service! We were seated upon arrival and right next to the windows which had spectacular views of the lake, the pier and fireworks show. Very romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcharged & UnderfedItalianGuy34Dined on 6/14/2014Took my wife here for our 10th anniversary. Beautiful atmosphere and views. Ordered calamari for our appetizer. Tasty, 2 excellent sauces but the plate was only half full for 15 dollars. Average cost for a glass of wine was 12 dollars, cheapest bottle was 38 dollars. We both ordered steaks. My wife ordered the ny strip($48) and I ordered a large filet ($39). Wife's steak was average size but she enjoyed it. Mine was a little overcooked and dry. She had a baked potato and I had the au gratin potatoes which were good but 10 dollars. Service was above average. Total bill was about $150 before tip but left hungry and without anything left to take home. Experience could have been better but we still enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014First time at Riva and we had a great time, great food and service was outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, company, lake view!!!JakeDined on 6/14/2014Babs and Dennis (our guests from Austin, Texas), Peggy (Chicago resident) and I (Gurnee resident) got together over lunch at Riva last weekend. Riva sent an email confirmation a couple of days before our reservation. On the day of, they called to confirm our seating. I requested for a lake view seating and they graciously accommodated us. They provided clear directions on getting there. The wait staff was excellent. We all ordered seafood and all our entrees were cooked to perfection! I highly recommend dining at Riva when you visit Chicago and/or Navy Pier.Special Features:
- A Gem at the Navy PierAFoodieAtHeartDined on 6/13/2014It was our first time dining at Riva Crabhouse, I had surprised my husband with a romantic dinner with a great view of the city. The staff was great we didn't wait long for our food and the manager was very welcoming and have us a great seat overlooking the Chicago skyline. I would recommend this place if you are looking for great seafood, a extensive wine list and you are from out of town and want to get a first great glimpse of the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite orderLightEaterDined on 6/13/2014Most restaurants serve entrees that are enough for a large man--way too much food for a smaller woman who wants to watch her weight. That's why I was so pleased to find something on Riva's menu that I don't think any other restaurants offer: pieces of cheese, fruit, nuts, and crispy Melba-toast-like raisin bread pieces. Riva calls it something like "artisan cheeses." It's listed as an appetizer, but I think it's the perfect dinner: bread, cheese, fruit, nuts, and a glass of crisp white wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and viewLarryDined on 6/12/2014Riva continues to be a great place to take visitors in Chicago. It has a great view south of the lake from the end of Navy Pier and back toward the skyline. The food and presentation and service are excellent. It's an easy taxi or stroll from Downtown hotels and there is a parking garage right on the pier -- use the valet as it is cheaper with a ticket validation.Special Features:
- Great Food and unbeatable viewBirthdayGirlDined on 6/12/2014The food was wonderful. The steak was cooked to perfection. Add to that a view of the lake front and you add one great place. If you can manage to be there for the Fireworks and you get a nearly perfect date place. I would warn about the "Big Piece of Chocolate Cake". It takes a building permit to make and required 4 to eat it. ;-)Special Features:
- Service problemsFluellenDined on 6/8/2014We arrived early for a 5 p.m. table to be followed by a 6.30 p.m. Shakespeare Theatre performance. We were seated promptly and placed our orders. The entrees arrived about 6.00 p.m. We had to rush our meal and there was no time for dessert or coffee. However the food was very good!Special Features: