109 Washington Street (Route 1)
Foxboro, MA 02035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafayettehouse.com/
- Phone: 5085435344
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Satday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tavern Monday - Sunday 11:30 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Ron Young
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: "Events by Lafayette" provides offsite catering and event planning for Weddings, Corporate Events, Office parties, Private parties,special occasions and family gatherings for up to 1200 guests. Call for a customized menu to suit your needs. Visit our website for a list of venues and menus! Let us "Cater to your Needs!"
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Friday and Saturday nights from 7:30pm - 11:30pm in the Pub!
- Special Events: Private dinning rooms fro all of your private and corporate events
A word from Lafayette House
Lafayette House is conveniently located on Route One in Foxboro just south of Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place with easy access to Routes 95 and 495. Established in 1784, this historic landmark was once a Tavern and Inn that hosted General Lafayette, General Washington, Benjamin Franklin and many other distinguished guests. You'll want to explore the cozy dining rooms warmed by fireplaces and have a drink in the Pub at the oldest stand up bar in America! Traditional American Continental Cuisine is served in generous portions combined with a warm, colonial atmosphere that is reminiscent of a time when a great dinner experience satisfied the soul as well as your appetite! Generations of our Customers know that impeccable Quality, Service and Standards still live at Lafayette House after 224 years..."Come Make History with Us!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lafayette House reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (20)romantic (13)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)fit for foodies (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Never AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013We had a reservation for 4 PM on Thanksgiving and had to wait an hour. They did not have their act together enough to handle the large number of people. Our waitress was okay, the food was so-so. My wife and I had prime rib which was fair, but a lot of it was fat. There were also green beans, squash, and mashed potatos, in small portions. Not a great deal for $33. One of my sons had stuffed shrimp (4) which left him hungry. The other had turkey which was okay. The place was brightly lit and had zero ambience. THis si not my type of restaurant, but we decided kind of late to go out for TG and this was the only place we could find. It's an old, kind of snobby place where we won't go again.
- Thanksgiving Day DinnerReenDined on 11/28/2013Everything was good but wished they had more of a selection of Appetizers. Also the portions on the side dishes of potatoes and squash were very small. My son-in-law had a tablespoon portion of potatoes but he didn't want to say anything. Overall the Entree's we all had were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013My Rack of Lamb was not tasty at all. Potatoes & Veg were good. Corn Chowder was okay. The pumpkin pie was not good at all. Very stale - the top of the pie had a hard crust. Did not taste fresh. Would not recommend for any special occasion.
- Thankful on Thanksgiving.HappynotcookingDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving dinner was delicious! The white turkey meat was tender and moist. They have a wonderful salad dressing honey Italian that they make there. The server was very pleasant and accommodating. This was our first time eating Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant I would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good spot for a pre-gameOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/24/2013Very good spot for a pre-game meal - especially on a cold dayI would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit dated, but food wasmduffyDined on 11/2/2013A bit dated, but food was very good and plentiful. Service was great, prices a bit highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cavalier, unprofessional and cheapbuggyDined on 10/26/201310 of us assembled for a very special birthday dinner for my best friends fiance' and we were looking forward to a very special night at hisfavorite restaurant.The cake that my best friend has specially made for the occasion was carelessly given away to another party and then when we spoke up about it, the attitude was The situtation was handled all wrong and we will never go back there again. If you do something to make a customer cry, you better be prepared to make it right or you are going to lose that customer and all who's paths she crosses...word of mouth can kill a business...and in this case it should.....
- My first time, I will returnLennyDined on 10/6/2013I have lived in the area all my life. I have been by the Lafayette House many times. The Lafayette House is recommended by the Phantom Gourmet of which I had a gift card. The friends we went with had been there on a number of occasions and said it was very good. I was impressed with the restaurant, its ambience, its food and its service. It was truly a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic InnChemistDined on 10/5/2013Extensive wine menu, so large that for first time diners you don't realize the menu has both the wine menu (several pages) in front and the dinner menu (about 1.5 pages) at the back. Italian cuise. Veal la Fleur was good. Filet was excellent. Good size Caesar salad (an upgrade from the garden salad) with shaved parmesan cheese and anchioves (if requested). We ate in the restaurant. There were lots of diners in the Tavern. There is an outdoor patio for the good weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fuddy DuddyrobskarenDined on 9/21/2013Restaurant needs an update. I know it's supposed to be Early American, but decor looks very tired.
- Classic Restaurantgoodie2shuzDined on 9/9/2013I prefer going to the Lafayette House as it's been there forever and the food is delicious. It was the only decent restaurant to go to back when I was growing up. I want to support it especially since Patriot Place. I prefer going to a restaurant that is independently owned rather than a chain. My husband got the rack of lamb and I got the haddock florentine special We started with the Oysters Lafayette and everything was delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old charm is nice.. but lets get upState54Dined on 9/7/2013Lafeyette House may have been fine dining at one time but now it needs updating.. Sorry !
- 1st timecutes1125VIPDined on 9/4/2013first time and wanted to try it out for a long time since i drive by it so many times finally took the leap and food is okay not bad/great just okay so maybe i will come back and try it again something else. the clam chowder had a sour taste to it. the homemade peppercorn dressing need more fresh grounded peppercorn. the seafood bouillabaisse was okay. the dessert is delicious - chocolate cake torte and boston cream pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good reviewJerryqDined on 8/22/2013First time there and would definitely return. A little concerned when first arrived as the decor is dated and somewhat worn but the pleasant staff and excellent food where a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large. Food portionsDhbrDined on 8/10/2013Service was great. Food portions were very filling. Sauces on chicken dishes were excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with FriendsonsetlifeDined on 8/10/2013What a wonderful place to spend a summer evening with friends. We ate in the outdoor seating area which was nicely lit and very comfortable. There was live music which provided a wonderful background to our meal and conversations. Our waitress was very personable and offered wonderful suggestions for the main meal as well as dessert. The appetizers were tasty and the portions were ideal for our group of 4. The main courses of salmon, haddock and tenderloin tips were excellent in both taste and presentation. And the desserts - the caramel chocolate torte and chocolate mousse - were a fitting end to such a wonderful evening. I highly recommend the Lafeyette House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLindaDined on 7/27/2013Had dinner before the Taylor Swift concert and parked here for the concert. Dinner was fabulous, walk to Gillette was easy and no traffic to or from Gillette was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Parking Fee GougingRobgusDined on 7/26/2013Had reservations to dine on 7/26/13 prior to attending the Taylor Swift concert at Gillette Stadium. Not being from the area, paid the parking fee of $40 to leave the car in Lafayette House parking lot (about 1 mile plus from the stadium). In addition dinner for 3 was right at $150 (including gratuity). No problem with the food or service. All was find until we finished dinner and started walking towards the stadium. Parking fees much closer to the stadium than the Lafayette House were in the $20 to $30 range. So it was very disappointed that the Lafayette House charges their own customers who dine in the restaurant twice the going rate for parking to a stadium event--Special Features:
- Special occasions and moreomnivoreDined on 7/21/2013My wife and I have had brunch with friends and lunch with friends at the Lafayette House. We have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries at the Lafayette House. We have attended receptions at the Lafayette House. We have dined in private rooms, the dining rooms and in the taproom. The service was always professional, and the food was always wonderful. The Lafayette House is our first choice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewSusnDined on 7/19/2013We thoroughly enjoyed the Lafayette House as always. We especially like the promotional lobster dinner. The waitress was very friendly and extremely accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to be able to relax withBirgsVIPDined on 7/13/2013Nice to be able to relax with drinks before ordering. Rack of lamb perfectly cooked, as was the prime rib. Portions very substantial.Special Features:
- New England CharmCordonbleu7Dined on 7/12/2013This is a charming place full of ambiance. Good place to spend a few hours dining and talking with good friends. The waitress we had was friendly and attentive to our needs. Very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2013Pleasantly surprised with our experience. Great presentation of a traditional dish - mashed potatoes and twin filets. Yummy au jus and perfectly-cooked asparagus. The salad coud have used something more than greens preplated but otherwise good dinner with nostalgic old-charm of a historic house. Friendly service and nice ambience in the dining room. We've eaten in the tavern before but not the dining room. The Lafayette House has gobs of competition these days with all the foodie joints and chain restaurants at Patriot Place but we left the impossible parking, noise and crowds of Patriot Place behind and enjoyed a nice, quiet meal.Special Features:
- Always goodQuality13Dined on 7/3/2013We've been dining at the Lafayette House for many years.... Food and service always great.... Located on Rt. 1 in Wrentham, Mass. Close to major route 495 and rt. 95.... we highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a little history and Pini cheese (their homemade appetizer extraordinaire )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Outdoor setting!SK666Dined on 6/28/2013Great food! Fabulous Service! Laura is a gem. She adds an extra special fun touch to a great evening outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal in a historic tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/26/2013We dropped our teens off at Comcast Center for a concert and set out for a nice dinner for the adults. We decided to try the Lafayette House and were extremely happy with the experience. This was a Wednesday night, so it was pretty quiet in the restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was fantastic! The building itself is historical and quaint and we enjoyed hearing about the history of the building from our waitress. Overall, this was a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-fashioned in the best of waysSwordfish32Dined on 6/20/2013We wanted to celebrate our special anniversary in a romantic place with great food and spirits. Lafayette House came through on all measures. They accommodated our late-evening reservation, provided attentive service and filled our wine glasses to the brim. The generous portions of swordfish and salmon were superb. We felt like we were back in the 18th century, and we didn't want to leave. The only disappointment was that there wasn't a mountain of their famous cheese spread. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Inn with great foodSirRichardOfArlingtonDined on 6/14/2013It seems like a time-warp, but across the highway from modern Patriot's Place is this historic Inn on the old post road between Boston and New York. The Lafayette Inn continues to serve great food at reasonable prices in an atmosphere of yesteryear. Elegant surroundings in a building that looks like it dates from the 1700's. While the food was excellent, the very vibrant bar scene on a Friday night was a little loud lapsing over to the restaurant that seemed to beg for a soft string quartet instead. I took advantage of their twin lobster special while my lady had a classic Italian veal dish that was superbly prepared. This continues to be a classic place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need to improve on theirFoodFanDined on 6/8/2013They need to improve on their gluten free options and educate their staff about celiac disease. Gluten free food can be flavorful, unfortunately that was not the experience we had dining at this establishment.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2013Located on route 1 near Patriot place , LH offers classic dining in a historic atmosphere. Large portions and great tasting fair makes LH a must try.Special Features:
- How Great!more2luvDined on 5/25/2013My wife and I selected this restaurant because it had been years since our last visit. And we we're celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. However, it certainly won't be as long next time around. We had a delicious dinner and very nice time Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchRBFoodieDined on 5/12/2013Impressive, excellent brunch with a tremendous variety, including omelet bar. Beautiful, quaint old inn in an easy-to-reach location on Rte. 1 south of the Foxboro stadium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013Other than a longer-than-expected wait (12:00 reservation, 12:40 actual seating), the brunch was very good. Nice variety and quantity/quality of food. The waiter was appropriately attentive filling coffee cups and water glasses, and cleaning dirty dishes for the 2nd (and 3rd) trip to the buffet.Special Features:
- Overall satisfiedSkipperDined on 5/12/2013Okay it was Mother's Day a busy time but I was disappointed that we had 12p reservations and when we all arrived on time we were told there was a 45 minute wait they were behind. I had an 80 yr old mother with me with mobility issues. Crowded and difficult to navigate in a crowded place. We sat within the hour. The person at the registration desk was not overly apologetic it seemed to be the norm. Although I understand it was Mother's Day, high volume I expected more with a reservation. The service from everyone thereafter was great and the food was good. I will be back for those reasons but if you have a reservation I expect to be seated close to that timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the WORST experience...PaulDined on 5/12/2013Absolutely the WORST experience... We had a noon reservation. Arriving at 11:50am, we were told that the restaurant was just seating their 11:00am reservations. We were told that there were at least 10 tables waiting to be seated. Nothing more than a simple: "we're sorry." Needless to say, we elected to leave without dining. This was the second time this happened, so we will NEVER attempt a visit to Lafayette House again, nor could we ever offer a recommendation... Absolutely disgraceful.
- Ruined Mother's DaywildcatDined on 5/12/2013We had a noon reservation on Mother's Day and arrived at the restaurant on time. We walked in and knew something was wrong. When I walked up to the hostess stand I was totally ignored by the gentleman standing behind the station. After 5 minutes, I finally spoke up to inquire about our reservation. I was told that it would be at least 45 minutes to an hour wait and that they were just sitting their 11:30 reservations. No apologies, no explanation. He just walked away.We ended up leaving and since it was Mother's Day ended up back at home after several attempts to find another restaurant. I would never want to re-visit that restaurant again. It obviously is terribly mismanaged. I would never recommend it to anyone.
- Good food but WAY OVERBOOKEDFlemingDined on 5/12/2013We ate her on Mother's Day and it seems they overbooked. You couldn't even walk through the restaurant. People were standing EVERYWHERE waiting for tables. They were running 45 mins behind on reservations. The food was great though. Would still eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DayLunaDined on 5/12/2013I've never been to Lafayette house before. Thusly my review is solely based on a going on a busy brunch day. The food was wonderful, the staff was pleasant. But what really turned me off from wanting to go back was that people who didn't have a reservation all just stood around the host/hostess desks and along the walk ways where people needed to get in and out and over to the brunch area. For the price I paid, I would have preferred to not having someone standing right beside me and behind me. It was kind of unsettling.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchzmomDined on 5/12/2013Not very impressed, but understand that Mother's Day is a busy day to try to judge. Waitress was very friendly and service was good. We will have to try again to see how it is on a quieter day.
- Too long of a wait with reservationJimSDined on 5/12/2013Had a 45 minute wait on Mother's Day even after making a reservation and call back to verify the reservation. Too many other people were in the same boat, therefore no place to wait especially with small kids in tow. They need to allow more time for the earlier reservations to clear before making more for the same tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.