Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://poggiotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4153327771x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Service: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Peter McNee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 10 to 150 guests.
A word from Poggio
Poggio, from the Italian translation for 'a special hillside place', offers seasonal Italian cuisine. The daily-changing seasonal menu features locally grown ingredients and items from the large display wood-fired rotisserie and grill and wood-roasting oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poggio - Best Restaurants in Sausalito ›
Poggio reviews from OpenTable diners
288 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)great for outdoor dining (141)special occasion (129)neighborhood gem (114)great for lunch (97)romantic (86)good for groups (77)notable wine list (76)scenic view (68)great for brunch (53)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (36)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (18)Show More
- Great placeSFfoodloverVIPDined on 8/7/2014Every thing we had was delicious. Went out of their way to offer and prepare a dish with no salt as a special request. Very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mickeyDined on 8/6/2014i THOUGHT this would be a good place for a "special occasion" and even told the restaurant before we came that it was a special birthday. the staff did nothing. no dessert or anything and by then it was too late to get up and go up front and ask for something. This place started out well, but the 1/2 empty space says it all. No one in town ever mentions going there anymore...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RitaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Poggio is great. Wonderful setting in Sausalito; charming; very Italian feel to it. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Very very sloooo serviceFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014We dine regularly at Poggio and the service is usually good. Every restaurant can have a bad day and we just encountered a dilly last Tuesday night. Not only was the service slow (It took over two hours; we have usually finished a similar meal in about an hour.), but it was inattentive and little effort was made by the server to explain or apologize. A bit of forthrightness about problems in the kitchen would have gone a long way to helping us understand and tolerate the delays.Special Features:
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 8/3/2014We started with a chicken liver crostini that was delicious. The two pastas we shared ( pork ragu and agnolotti) were tasty and perfect and the halibut was nicely prepared. The kitchen and the service brought their "A" game to our Sunday evening dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDined on 8/2/2014The food here is always changing and superb. It is my first choice for special occasions.Special Features:
- TerryTerryDined on 8/2/2014Always love your food , service and atmosphere. Great with groups of families and friends.Special Features:
- Practically perfect in every way!Foodies2Dined on 8/2/2014We brought some out of town guests to Poggio and we can't stop talking about how wonderful everything was. From the food, to the service, to the ambience. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Go for the food not the serviceBradsterDined on 8/2/2014The food was amazing. The service was lacking. Hostess came out from the kitchen eating to greet us. A dirty plate from our first course wasn't cleared until they cleared our mains. Dirty glasses also not collected.Special Features:
- GlendaGlendaDined on 8/2/2014I am a fan of yours. I highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends. One of my very favorites.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Poggio brings me back to Italy, with its outdoor seating with the walk-thru doorways/windows made of wood just like many Italian restaurants. Also the menu was typical. But it's the food that keeps me coming back. I'd suggest not coming by car because I had to go 3 times to add more time. The time went very fast so I must have been having a good time.Special Features:
- RiverQVIPDined on 7/29/2014Love the specials on Tuesday night!! The Antipasti is delicious and the fish cooked to perfection. Only thing they should include a dessert for each person, not have a shared dessert
- Off Night at PoggioLRinMarinVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have been coming recently for the Tuesday Suppers and have enjoyed them this spring/summer. This night however the staff seemed disorganized, brought the wrong wines and we didn't get all of the appetizers listed on the menu. Service was slow, which is not always bad, but it was not up to the quality we have enjoyed in the past. I think it was just an off night and I hope the next time things are back to normal because Poggio usually has delicious food and great service!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/28/2014Just don't order the pasta! Stick with the appetizers and you'll be fine (the 3 we ordered were beautifully presented and delicious), but it's pretty sad when an Italian restaurant can't serve up a decent carbonara and this one was dry and tasteless. The risotto wasn't anything to rave about either.
- Birthday LunchenjoythemealDined on 7/28/2014Shared a birthday lunch with a friend recently, and it was a good meal. However, we had a reservation and had to wait for the hostess to seat us...about a 5 minute wait. Not bad but not very punctual. And our waiter was right at our table as soon as we were seated, asking us what we'd like to drink, but we hadn't even had time to sit for a minute before he pounced. Then we had trouble getting his attention for the entire rest of the meal. I enjoyed the food there, but the service wasn't what I'd expected.Special Features:
- FantasticDaveVIPDined on 7/27/2014The service w as outstsnding and so was our meal. The tomatoes and burrata salad were fresh and flavorful nd the duck ragut pasta was out of this world . Our Polla was exceptional. Kudos to Poggio for a delightful dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining!NonnaBDined on 7/27/2014a delightful dinner experience for grandmother (me) and grandson. Great, great waiter - Marco? Love the half portion availability.Special Features:
- allonsyDined on 7/27/2014Great appetizers! Personable service. My shellfish roe pasta with head on shrimp was good, but was served lukewarm not temperature hot, so was the radiatori with duck ragu. The tiramisu was okay. All in all okay dining experience.Special Features:
- Chaotic Poggio DinnerFoodieFanDined on 7/26/2014Poggio is a long-time favorite of ours and will remain so. However, dinner at 6:30 pm on a Saturday evening in July proved to be a challenge for everyone. Sausalito was crowded with hundreds of tourists milling about, many of whom spilled over into the restaurant hoping to have dinner, but most were turned away unless they had a reservation. The whole experience was chaotic from start to finish, but the food was tasty, the drinks were good, and the service was excellent considering the hubbub surrounding us. We won't be having dinner at Poggio on a Saturday evening at 6:30 pm anytime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poggios for Lunchal5galDined on 7/26/2014I met three others for lunch. The food was average, overpriced for the quality, but sitting outside in Sausalito is always special. The waitress was efficient. When the restaurant got busier, she definitely had too many tables and showed it. I fear Poggio has fallen into the tourist trap category, with average food and stressed, but I live in the area and knew what I was getting into. However, the thirteen year Vermont guest ordered strawberry sorbet for dessert. The waitress arrived with a dish of lemon sorbet. "We're all out of strawberry," she said, leaving it up to the thirteen year to 'deal with it' . Oh, yes, parking on Saturday is a nightmare!!!!Special Features:
- Outside diningwinoDined on 7/25/2014The interior is beautiful but sitting outside at lunch is fun.Special Features:
- jufyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food and service. We couldn't ask for more. We have been here many times and will return in the future.Special Features:
- Is Poggio declining?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014We love Poggio and have dined here several times. But our most recent experience was disappointing. The usually exceptional food was only OK. The burrata and tomato salad featured tomatoes that were flavorless in July, when they should have been bursting with flavor. My husband's pork dish was tough and flavorless as well. The waitress was new, and definitely needed some fine tuning. We'll give it another try and hope that we hit an off night.
- AzcolawDined on 7/18/2014Poggio was great!! We had a wonderful table (though we had to wait about 30 minutes to get it, even with reservations). The best part of the evening was our server, Prentice. He made the experience so pleasurable, being attentive - but not too attentive - and very professional, friendly and knowledgeable. Food was yummy....artichoke appetizer, pastas, quail...all delicious. I was dining with my daughter and her significant other. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free Too!!!kgudVIPDined on 7/18/2014While they are not a GF restaurant, they have items that are entirely GF and DF, like the mista salad and the salmon, which was perfectly prepared and delicious. The meal was so healthy, with lots of vegetables too. NOTE: their house-made pasta is made on the upper floor, above the kitchen where meals are prepared, so the kitchen is not dusted with flour, (as it is at Angelino's down the street. Angelino's chef told me they serve gluten-intolerant people all the time with GF pasta boiled in clean water, but when I asked if they made their own bread in the same kitchen, he said yes and don't eat here if you are that sensitive. And I didn't.) So eat at Poggio's.Special Features:
- Apathetic serviceKerfuffleDined on 7/17/2014I used to love this restaurant, but the last 4 or so times I've been there, the service has been awful, and the food not up to the prices. The wait staff seem to have an attitude of boredom and inattention to the customer. My salmon was overdone, as well. This is the last time I go there.
- Great anniversaryeatingoutDined on 7/14/2014My spouse and I went to Poggio's on our wedding day 6 years ago. We happened to be in San Francisco 6 years later and celebrated there again. It was every bit as wonderful as we remembered: good food, excellent service, excellent wine. We will always eat at Poggio's when visiting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not disappointyum2meDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I visited salsilito for our 25th anniversary. We stayed at Casa Madrona which is adjacent to Poggio so we decided to make a reservation since the restaurant was next door. We were not disappointed in the least. The service was superb and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!finefoodfirstVIPDined on 7/8/2014While the food and ambience were fine, the service was horrible! We had to remind and remind and ask for our waiter to come, and still after making mistakes he didn't make an effort to make it up...bad service all the way through a dinner for three of us that lasted three hours!!! Ridiculous. Very disappointed!
- REGULARDined on 7/8/2014Hadn't been to Poggio in over a year and was very impressed. Four of us had the special menu and all enjoyed it very much, especially the Bronzino which was excellent. The service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and with only Fair FoodDineOutOftenDined on 7/7/2014What was supposed to be wild king salmon tasted either from frozen or sockeye salmon. I didn't say anything as we were dining with out-of-town guests. Halibut was overcooked and probably only four ounces in size. Lunch with just two glasses of wine among the four people was nearly $200. Service was very slow and, though I do not like overly-friendly waiters, this one was aloof to say the least.
- Bet the houseSouldogDined on 7/6/2014This is a rock solid bet for a great dining experience: friendly accommodating staff, knowledgeable severs, consistently good food, classic decor, fantastic ambiance, great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicebarbaramDined on 7/5/2014Daily menu with wonderfully balanced and interesting dishes using what is most fresh and seasonal. Service was terrific and inobstrusive, Chef made a vegetarian entree off the menu using the gnudi (with meat sauce on the menu) with pesto and freah fava beans and carrots that was both delicious and an unexpectedly nice accommodation. Very pleasant dining room as well. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- Poggio on the 4th of JulyLeopoldDined on 7/4/2014We ate on Poggio's on the 4th of July which was perfect for our plan to watch the fireworks in Sausalito. We ate outside under a heat lamp which was cozy and gave us maximum people watching opportunities. The service was very good, not rushed at all. My BF had some kind of meatball appetizer which he loved, I had a beet salad, also very good. For our meal we had a pizza with a side of what we thought was broccoli, but turned out to be a bunch of stalks with leaves. Bathrooms were in need of cleaning, but then again it was a very busy day. Ambiance is upscale, but prices were very reasonable. Thanks, overall we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poggio e PerfectoSoulFoodVIPDined on 7/4/2014My wife and I have now made an annual visit/pilgrimage to Poggio for the past eight years. Amy and her able staff offer a welcoming, comfortable and truly delicious experience. From their corn custard appetizer to their remarkable "gnudi" or pasta pillows with "to-die-for" ragu sauce (ask for more!) to the fig pizza and finally to lime custard dessert, it's always a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Always goodBellaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Sitting at a sidewalk table and people watching it feels like you could be 1000 miles away. A bonus is you are able to take your dog! We frequent Poggio and the staff could not be any more welcoming plus they know the menu and wine list very well. The food is always fresh and imaginative and as the menu changes regularly so there is almost always something new to try. As locals, Poggio is our go-to restaurant in Sausalito...and definitely our dogs favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely an "A"UWIS66Dined on 7/3/2014Flavorful food, beautifully presented. We will return, for sure.Special Features:
- CharlesDined on 7/2/2014The best Italian restaurant in Marin County. LIke being upscale in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little more service!ExceptionalDined on 7/2/2014The food and wine was excellent, as always, but our service was terrible. The waitperson forgot about us multiple times, and we had to flag other waitstaff down at least 3 times, including to pay the bill. It was a lovely night outside, but it was starting to get chilly, so we wanted to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014Celebrating our wedding anniversary this was really a very classy place! Interesting menu, I loved the dark wood interior and looking out onto Bridgeway, cozy. It really came all together - good sourdough-walnut bread, wine, and to die for Greek Sea Bass... Delightful spending some time in Sausalito on a weekday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.