Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
50 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.threesanmateo.com/
- Phone: 6503449444x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 7:00am - 1:30pm;
Bar Service: Monday-Friday 1:30 pm-5:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour daily 5:00-7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alicia Petrakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: attentive... creative... unforgettable.
Three Restaurant & Bar and the Peninsula Dining Room offer two unique venues in one historic location. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, corporate events and meetings.
Select from seasonal menus designed to meet a wide range of tastes and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia Petrakis 8779256315
A word from Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.Continued
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (65)good for groups (59)great for lunch (58)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (32)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- There were only three tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2011There were only three tables of customers, less than 10 customers in total. Our waiter was not professional and slow. In fact, he didn't seem care. There was another waiter serving other two tables. The food was decent. What surprised me was that our waiter added an additional 18% of gratitude for a table of 3? Also, I don't know why I am not created the 100 points from Open Table. I did make the reservation via Open Table and showed up at the restaurant on time. Definitely, I won't return to this restaurant again.
- Will not be going back. EachJChiangVIPDined on 10/21/2011Will not be going back. Each time the hostess manage to make us feel unwelcome. We are regular but she make it such a big issue when we like a table in the front.
- finally our waiter an asianLuv2eatDined on 8/20/2011finally our waiter an asian man was excellent compare to the last time . great thanksSpecial Features:
- We had dinner here for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2011We had dinner here for our anniversary and had a wonderful night! My wife loves the espresso martini. We'll be back soon for more.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2011I took my parents here for their 52nd wedding anniversary, and we were all very pleasantly surprised. On the table were beautiful red rose petals, an the menu had a page written especially for them wishing them a happy anniversary. The food was wonderful! Our only negative was on the smell of an appetizer that is ordered constantly. It was some kind of cheese dish that had an odor that was very unpleasant. As soon as the odor would be gone due to it having been eaten, another table would order it, and the cycle would start all over. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you view it, this is one of the dishes they are known for.Special Features:
- We had a nice Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2011We had a nice Monday night dinner out - good food & smaller crowd, so not particularly busy or noisy. We started with the hummus as an appetizer, it was quite spicy, as advertised. I had the steamed mussels in a red wine broth (not the typical white wine) and it was quite good. My dining partner had the kebobs, but the wrong dish was delivered the first time, and she had a 5+ minute wait. Coincidentally, tables on both sides of us had similar issues with their plates also. The manager handled the situations pleasantly, but it was apparently a kitchen runner issue, not the waiters, per se. But why the waiters weren't watching the service window a bit more closely on a slow night is puzzling. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Overall, delightful, comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2010Overall, delightful, comfortable and good service.Special Features:
- Pretty good food, sadly weOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2010Pretty good food, sadly we got seated RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the restaurant close to the kitchen even though there weren't many people there. The large round table was nice for our group though.Special Features:
- As our previous visits, itAlsin1000VIPDined on 9/3/2010As our previous visits, it was a great dining experience. We tried the mushroom stogies per the recommendation of our waiter and we loved it as an appetizer.Special Features:
- came here for an anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2010came here for an anniversary one year. the food was so so, nothing made me want to immediately come back.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Buffet brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009Mother's Day Buffet brunch included prime rib, oysters, shrimp cocktail, wide range of breakfast items, sushi, pastas (a whole table devoted to it), and dessert bites. I really should have listened to the Yelp reviewers regarding Astaria - it got great reviews for lunch and dinner but so-so for buffet brunch. We absolutely agree with this sentiment, especially at $40pp for Mother's Day brunch! The food was good but not memorable. What we do recall is the different cuisines served together. We would try out the regular menu but likely won't since we feel taken for the brunch. :(
- I have visited twice sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2009I have visited twice since without open table reservations since the date on this particular evening. I was compelled to go throught my email and fill this out because of a review I just read. It had to do with the winw list and this person's percetion of white wine. I've gone over Astaria's wine list each visit and enjoy it more every time. There are whites that should be drunk young and invariably Astaria has '06 and '07 vintages on these wines. Some other whites actually broaden, and become much better with time.Your bottle was "off". It happens. To create a scenario,(bad ecconomy), then fill in the blanks(not selling white wine)and then condemn(Bring your own, Astaria's are bad)seems infantile. Not to mention plain wrong.Special Features:
- We came for Easter Brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2009We came for Easter Brunch. Not as much selection as other places, but the shrimp and grits were fantastic.Special Features:
- Astaria is consistently veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2009Astaria is consistently very good. I have been here several times and they are consistent, service is attentive but not overbearing and the food is very good. Atmosphere leans to the quiet romantic side and overall it is an enjoyable place to dine. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Meatloaf like momma used toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2008Meatloaf like momma used to make...garlic fries that makes your skin smell...dessert that is just to die for.Special Features:
- Astaria's menu does not havemikesVIPDined on 8/6/2008Astaria's menu does not have as many Mediterranean dishes as in the past which is un- fortunate but there is still a wide selection of small and large plates which can be shared. Portions continue to be quite generous and food is wholesome but not quite as palatable as on previous visits. Service has also deteriorated as the server could have been a bit more attentive to the table. Overall value is very good, particularly on salads and appetizers. I hope that my next visit will be in line with what was experienced before this visit.Special Features:
- The service and food wereFinediner1Dined on 8/3/2008The service and food were wonderful. We went on a Sunday night, so the restaurant was really quiet, not sure what it would be like on a Friday or Saturday night. I had the Lamb Shanks and thought it could have been braised a bit longer. The Flaming Cheese and the Polenta Fries were awesome and the Shortcake and the Cherries Jubilee were out of this world.Special Features:
- I have always enjoyed my diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2008I have always enjoyed my dining experience at Astaria. Friendly wait staff and good food to boot.Special Features:
- Great service and yummy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2008Great service and yummy food - an unusual, interesting menu inspired by the Mediterranean. The night we were there they had live music and it was WAY too loud for the size of the restaurant but I think that was due to the "Wine Walk" in the town. I'd go back for sure.Special Features:
- Large restaurant. Not loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2008Large restaurant. Not loud like so many Bay Area restaurants. Food was very good. Service was, too. I would recommend it highly. My only disappointment was the menu. Not a single chicken dish. Seems odd.Special Features:
- Great staff, vegetarian options,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2008Great staff, vegetarian options, very good food, value
- Our Father's Day brunch atOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2008Our Father's Day brunch at Astaria was good. The food was great, but the service was quite slow. The restaurant was maybe a quarter-full when we arrived, yet we waited over 30 minutes for our order to arrive at the table. While they do a nice job of catering to families with children, that is a long time for two little ones to wait for their food. It was hard for the adults as well. Overall though, the brunch was very good and we will likely return to Astaria again.Special Features:
- Great night out....deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/9/2008Great night out....delicious food and warm atmosphere. Our waitperson was very attentive but in a relaxed way. I look forward to the hotel next door being completed.Special Features:
- Food, outstanding personalizedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/3/2008Food, outstanding personalized service for a special occasion....always consistent and a treat. Banquet room available as well.Special Features:
- The Blood Orange CosmopolitansOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2008The Blood Orange Cosmopolitans were delicious, as was the Halibut entree and the shrimp appetizer dip. We'll be going back there again.Special Features:
- Astaria is a pleasant restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2008Astaria is a pleasant restaurant, but we were there on Thursday evening and they had a combo playing music which was loud enough that all the patrons had to raise their voices to hold conversation at their tables. I would guess the noise level is better other evenings. The hostess was very accomodating, our waiter was knowledgeable and reasonably attentive. The food was enjoyable. I had an excellent French Onion Soup dish and I understand the Napoleon was quite good. The lamb sirloin was tough and the Spring Rolls were so-so. I would return and try some of their other offerings.Special Features:
- Food was excellent, deliciouswine4diningVIPDined on 5/27/2008Food was excellent, delicious and attractively if not elegantly presented. Service was efficient, timely and friendly. Wine list is very good.Special Features:
- Our appetizers and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008Our appetizers and drinks were great. Except my pasta was so full of garlic, I couldn't eat it. It literally burnt my mouth. Not sure I'd go back.Special Features:
- Consistent service, and aOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/19/2008Consistent service, and a menu that changes specials with the seasons. You can count on your standard favorites on the menu, and some new items to enjoy. The service is very attentive, and helpful at making suggestions.Special Features:
- Great service and ambiance.GuitarmanDined on 5/17/2008Great service and ambiance. The appitizers and entrees were really good. My steak was perfect. Sadly, the dessert was not very good. The crepe lacked any flavor and seemed under cooked.Special Features:
- I am not usually a buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/11/2008I am not usually a buffet fan but Astaria's was very good. The food was delicious and hot. It was a lovely place to celebrate Mother's Day.Special Features:
- Astaria is solid. This visitOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/11/2008Astaria is solid. This visit was for Mother's Day brunch -- It was perfectSpecial Features:
- Fantastic experience - weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2008Fantastic experience - we went for Mother's Day brunch in 2008. Food was outstanding,and the staff was exceptional. We will be back often!Special Features:
- Astaria advertises some GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2008Astaria advertises some Greek dishes. I ordered mousaka - which was a recommended dish - and it was a disaster. I should have refused the meal but I was in the middle of a business discussion and did not have time to wait for a proper mousaka. Instead of a baked dish of layered eggplant and beef or lamb mince, what I got was a gamey beef mince fried up with eggplant. Some of the other lunches appeared to be rather better. Maybe the restaurant should delete its Greek menu - the chef on Friday lunch clearly either didn't have a clue of couldn't care less, not sure which. However, the restaurant has potential but management should take a closer look at what is happening in their establishment.
- This restaurant is one ofSallynessVIPDined on 5/7/2008This restaurant is one of my local very favorites.Special Features:
- Our waiter dulled our experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/5/2008Our waiter dulled our experience. We have had him before and he is not as professional and polished as he should be. The table busser was more friendly and polite than our waiter.The food is always consistently good so we tried to put the waiter's inattention and rudeness behind us.Special Features:
- A delicious fusion mediterraneanJulieVIPDined on 4/28/2008A delicious fusion mediterranean meal with great service from Chuck who recommended tasty wines and menu selections. Overall a positive and enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- The service was outstanding;OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 4/26/2008The service was outstanding; we had a doting server and all other servers were attentive without being intrusive. The menu is diverse, a lot of salads and interesting entrees. I would definitely dine here again. SSpecial Features:
- Always a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/18/2008Always a great dining experience at Astaria. Am a frequent customer. After questionable time at La Laterna on 4/15 wi no acknowledgement of Open Table, I checked "My Profile" immediately. Astaria points were already posted...La Laterna still 'Pending'. Have already communicated wi you re this.Special Features:
- We've been here before, butaceatsVIPDined on 4/15/2008We've been here before, but tonight the service was awful and the restaurant was not crowded at all. I don't know if they were short-staffed in the kitchen, but it took at least 40 minutes to get salads and then another wait of 30 minutes after the salads were done to get our main courses. I might try one more time, but if the service doesn't improve, we're not coming back.