Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
50 East 3rd Ave.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.threesanmateo.com/
- Phone: 6503449444x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 7:00am - 1:30pm;
Bar Service: Monday-Friday 1:30 pm-5:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour daily 5:00-7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alicia Petrakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: attentive... creative... unforgettable.
Three Restaurant & Bar and the Peninsula Dining Room offer two unique venues in one historic location. Ideal for rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, corporate events and meetings.
Select from seasonal menus designed to meet a wide range of tastes and budgets.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia Petrakis 8779256315
A word from Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.Continued
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Three Restaurant & Bar - FKA Astaria reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (65)good for groups (59)great for lunch (58)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (32)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- yummmiriVIPDined on 5/9/2014besides from messing up our drink orders and forgetting my daughter's order altogether the rest of the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Not nearly as good as AstariaIrishblusuzDined on 5/5/2014This is only my 2nd time at Three as I used to go to Astaria often. Just had a burger and the meat was good - nothing special on the bun. Ordered a salad rather than frys - had blue cheese on it which I don't like at all, and the lettuce didn't look all that freshSpecial Features:
- Always greatMadsVIPDined on 5/3/2014I love Three. I think more people should go here. It's amazing. The drinks, the service, the atmosphere/ambiance, the food, and even the decorations are all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Astaria reborn as ThreeGinny40Dined on 4/30/2014Because I am part of the "older" crowd, I am less likely to recommend this restaurant to my friends because it is very noisy. I found the menu selections over extended with few traditional items or just "regular" food. The service was outstanding, the best I've had in a long time. I wish I had the server's name. He was great. There is a tech college in the old hotel which I think Three feeds and soon they will offer breakfast.Special Features:
- Neither here nor thereRADmanDined on 4/25/2014The restaurant is trying to be the fun local hangout for food and drink. The problem is that it's neither special food nor a good value. Dishes attempt to be creative, but fall into the "ordinary" category. Not bad, but not yummy either. When you're thinking, "hey, let's go out to dinner!" you think of getting something special or different, and that's just not what this place is about. When you see the bill - $90 for two, you think, "Did I get $90 worth of pleasure?" and the answer is no. The people are nice, service good, the ambiance bright and informal, and nothing bad, but alas, this is not a place for us to return to.
- Very Nice Easter BrunchwinendineVIPDined on 4/20/2014Made reservation and that was a good thing because it was busy. Buffet was great - eggs benedict, bacon, ham, fruit, steak, bagels, salmon, etc - nice selection. Separate table with beautiful and delicious desserts. Good service and not too crowded. Nice open kitchen - very clean. Would definitely return for brunch. Excellent cappuchino too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunch disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014My family looked forward to a delicious brunch, sad to say this restaurant came up short . Upon checking in the hostess was unfriendly & carried an attitude. Looking around the restaurant I saw a three tables put together in the middle of the restaurant that offered some food selections. I asked if there was more options & I was told that there was a dessert table in the back. It was just very disappointing. After reading reviews the night before warning about the lack of service, it was true. Felt that the busboys were more caring than the servers. Saw management & servers laughing it in front of the bar while the busboys rushed around to make sure customers were happy. Won't be back & recommend spending your money elsewhere.
- Worth Checking OutTrueFoodieDined on 4/19/2014Had dinner to celebrate a birthday. Service was excellent. All entrees were tasty and well prepared. The Gnocc N Cheese was SO delicious. The gnocchi was light and the cheese sauce was cheesy, but not too heavy. Hubby and I shared fried chicken and cod with risotto. The cod was a bit overcooked and not the freshest. However, the risotto was perfect and flavorful. The Three Wine was an interesting combination of three whites. I can't remember what they were but it went nicely with entrees. The bread pudding with caramel sauce was a wonderful way to end the meal. The servicing portions were very generous so we had lots of food to take home for another meal. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plate heavenjasCAVIPDined on 4/18/2014Went on a Friday, it was crowded with many large tables (noise level high) The corned beef sliders were amazing - loved the brioche buns. Our Ho Ho dessert, retro Wonder Bakery, was yummy. Nice attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Service OkMadsVIPDined on 4/4/2014I've been to Three multiple times and the food never ceases to amaze me. The steak, the different kinds of fries, the burgers, the lamb kebabs, and more are all great. The drinks are average (Vault 164 has better drinks), but they're still decent. The service is a hit or miss; it depends who your waiter is and where you're sitting. The past 2 times I've been at Three I've had the same waiter and his service hasn't been very good. He disappears, is slow, and is judgmental if you order more than 1 alcoholic beverage (which he really shouldn't be since his tip will be higher if you do and the restaurant gets more money). He also lacks basic waiter/waitress skills (such as asking if you want another when you finish a drink).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great B-Day Brunch Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2014Given a spacious and comfortable table for our party of 7 and the waitstaff was very attentive and accommodating. Drinks, coffee, juice etc. came out right away. Appetizers/small bite plates were delicious, but not cleared prior to our entrees arriving. Everyone loved their food. Only complaint was it was extremely loud... Extremely. We were yelling at each other to be heard. Two other large parties were sitting near by, having a great time too, but the noise was something else... Would go back to this restaurant again, but will try to get a quieter location.Special Features:
- GREAT SERVICEiluv2dineVIPDined on 3/22/2014Ray, our server, was very attentive and constantly coming around to check on us and making sure our water glass was always filled. This is my first time dining here and was attracted by the items on the menu. Everything was good and I would recommend this restaurant again. I knocked off a point as the host did not let us select another table for us to be seated in. We later saw that he allowed other patrons to select a table of their liking.Special Features:
- Seated right away with reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/21/2014Seated right away with reservation. Server took a little while to appear but once the food came out, she checked back often. My only complaint was when I called the restaurant to say we were running late. I was told that the kitchen would be closing soon, which made me wonder if we should even keep the reservation. I wanted to enjoy my dinner and not be rushed. This restaurant was new to me and it just set the impression with that unwelcoming comment. I may go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Three!MadsVIPDined on 3/21/2014I love Three. I've been here 3 times for dinner and 1 time for brunch and this by far was one of my favorite experiences. The Bloody Valentine drink was amazing. I also ordered the skirt steak balsamic with the shoestring fries. It was amazing! The service was pretty good (a little slow at first, but it got better as the night went on). The food was great. The atmosphere/ambiance is great as well. Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice conversion to ThreekaaaliiVIPDined on 3/16/2014Really enjoyed our brunch at Three, Astaria reincarnated. The menu offers nice breakfast options as well as more lunch type items that cover the bases. There are some fun twists on traditional options and the mushroom stogies should be eaten anytime of the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu didn't make sense. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Menu didn't make sense. They had cauliflower gratin as a starter….. I think of that as a side. Food was fare. We had two cocktails, two starters and shared a main dish. Bill came to over $90. I think that was expensive.
- Loved everything! Crab cakes,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2014Loved everything! Crab cakes, my personal favorite. Umberto's Inferno-hot! Delicious beginning to end. Way to go THREE! Creative ambiance-hip. Love the plant wall.Special Features:
- Good food, prices and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2014We ate here for the first time and will definitely be back. The food was really tasty, and beautifully presented. The Bacon Bitz was three delectable pieces of pork belly in a delicious sauce. Need I say more? Our vegetarian daughter also found a lot of options. I'd recommend checking this place out, though I'm worried it'll become so popular, we won't be able to get a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, but service was lackinOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food and beverage selection was great, and the food quality was decent, but the service was lacking. I was in a group of three, and we ordered drinks, an appetizer, entrees, coffee and dessert. The entrees came out before the appetizer, they didn't bring the english muffin which came with my entree, there weren't spoons with the coffees, so we had to share the one clean knife we had left, since no one else came by after the coffee was presented, we had to ask for our waters to be refilled may times, and they forgot the dessert. When the bill was presented without the dessert having arrived, the waiter said he thought it had already been delivered. There were a lot of waiters and foodrunners and bus people, so it was surprising.Special Features:
- A great experienceClaudskiVIPDined on 3/7/2014The new decor is modern, not overstated yet perfect. Menu has many interesting options with exciting flavor choices. Prices are very reasonable. Food presentation and flavors are fantastic - food portions are purposefully smaller yet satisfying your cravings. A great experience, our new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch placeRunnerDined on 2/27/2014There were two large groups dining when I was there with a friend. The space is noisy to start with, and the two large groups made it hard for me and my friend to talk, though the room itself was not full. The waiters were very nice and helpful. The food was just okay. My friend had the beet salad, which she said was good, but she didn't finish it. I had the seafood risotto, which didn't have much seafood and was a little mushy. The apple tart for dessert was very good.Special Features:
- Food is great and love eatingSusanDined on 2/26/2014Food is great and love eating in courses but they really messed it up with the remodel from Astaria. Plus they are serving martinis in an old-fashion champgane class which I don't get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchNew2thereviewDined on 2/23/2014Everything was great! I'm glad I picked this spot for my birthday brunch. Reasonable prices, good portions size(not too huge), and very good service. Not one complaint :) I would recommend the chicken and waffles special and the peanut butter ice cream sandwich for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!MadsVIPDined on 2/21/2014I've been here before for brunch, but never for dinner. I went to dinner here on a Friday night (1/21/14) with 2 other people. I had the burger with bacon. It was amazing. The bun was toasted and the food was delicious. I had a side of garlic fries (which were also amazing) and the table had an appetizer of lamb kebabs (also amazing). I had the 3 Cosmo (which was fabulous). The other people at my table had the skirt steak and the fried chicken. They loved their dishes as well. The food came out quickly, the service was great, and the ambiance of the restaurant was great. I definitely recommend this place to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, healthy and fun cuisinesfnativeVIPDined on 2/19/2014The large menu is quite trendy and we had attentive service from Adam and the rest of the waitstaff. The Thai salad was delicious and dishes such as the french onion soup well thought out. A welcome addition to downtown San Mateo!Special Features:
- Sunday after 2014 Valentines DayFrankdecanaDined on 2/16/2014We never eat out on Valentines Day. Restaurants are too crowded and usually lacking in quality and service. My wife and I had been coming to Astaria for our special occasions for close to 10 years. This was our first visit since the renaming and rejuvenation of the restaurant. I was pleasantly supprised with the changes. I particularly liked the drinks menu which is quite extensive, especially the draft beer menu which lacked the usual suspects.The Alaskan Amber Ale was delicious. My wife ordered the Brown Butterd Beet Salad and Citrus Salad and Skirt Steak with Cauliflower Gratin on the side. I had the Roof Top Salad Sesame and Salmon Bites. Our server was was excellent, attentive without hovering and refills were fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 for brunchcalifornialipDined on 2/16/2014Four of us went for brunch. The chilaquiles were terrific. Service was good but not rushed. This was the 3rd time for brunch and Three has met the challenge each timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Ate here with two friends on a Saturday night. Rez for 6:30, called around 5:30 to say we would be late. Hostess was cool when we arrived. Waitress was great but we were a pretty easy table. Good prices. Bartenders were kinda slow given there were 3 of them and less than 6 people sitting at the bar but really no complaints. Not extraordinary, but will definitely go back and recommend to friends. We had 4 drinks, an app, a salad, a soup, 2 entrees, a dessert and our bill was $98. Parking was a challenge but they offer valet for $9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three in San Mateo is a Ten!energyrocketDined on 2/12/2014Great food, great service. Warm ambience. Loved the sweet potato chips while I was waiting for my friend to arrive. It was my first visit and I will be back!Special Features:
- Nice remodelFoodiesf65VIPDined on 2/9/2014Visited Three, formerly astaria, for dinner with the family on Sunday night. Overall, the food and overall service level was satisfactory. There were a few hits ont he menu such as the French onion soup and the fired chicken dishes. The burgers the kids all ordered and some of the other small plates like the calamari, a few salads, etc were just uninspired and not special. Service was satisfactory enough, although it was obvious the slow Sunday night was a study in saving labor as the server had more tables than he could handle. Manager jumped in a few times to help. So our visit to Three, in a nicely changed dining rooms for the former astaria, was just ok.
- Girls Saturday Brunch OutSecretReviewerDined on 2/8/2014Ariana and team have created a great menu and provide a personal touch to the food and service at Three. The Salmon Pizza was out of this world. The crust.. fluffy yet crisp - how do you do that? Try their very spicy Bloody Mary - hits the Mark. Crab cake Benedict and Corn Beef Hash were good....not great.Suggestion - don't be skimpy on the excellent sauces. We love them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choicesethana21VIPDined on 2/4/2014Ranging from burgers to full dinners. Has gotten informal since changing its name and style. Everything we have had there has been delicious. service is really prompt and attentive. We'll be going there again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but....KPagDined on 2/1/2014Went to celebrate my birthday with the family. Ordered starters, salad and bread and main course. After about a half hour, the main course came and I told them we never got our starters! They were apologetic and said they would bring them out and not charge us. The manager blamed the server and the server blamed the kitchen. I finally had them pack my appetizer to go and the salad finally came but no bread ever came, even though both the manager and server said it was coming up any minute. My pesto spaghetti was very good - homemade pesto sauce. My husband had the meatloaf and enjoyed it. My daughters had pasta. The servings were small, which would have been fine had I had appetizers. I left disappointed, which was a bummer for my birthday!Special Features:
- Loud, but pretty good foodBlairVIPDined on 1/31/2014The service wasn't too great - no refills on any drinks, left without silverware after the appetizers went away and the entrees came, server couldn't remember if we'd eaten already or ordered, but the food was pretty good. It's very loud so it's hard to hear the person across from you, but several large groups seemed to be having a good time and appeared to be well taken care of, so maybe it's good for groups, just not a dinner for two :)Special Features:
- Dependable and DeliciousRcKnowsVIPDined on 1/31/2014Three is always dependable and their specials are worth trying. We always love to share. In addition to the mushroom stogies and trout Caesar salad, we tried the cauliflower soup and beef bourguignon and both were delicious. I love that things come in two sizes.Special Features:
- Great food in San MateoCandyDined on 1/30/2014The restaurant has a varied menu where each item is more delicious. The comfort foods like the meatloaf and mashed potatoes iare out of this world. The cauliflower-blue soup is unique and tasty. Portions are small but appealing.. The prices are reasonable. My only problem is the noise level. It ISO deafening at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Space But Food Needs WorkjelliebeanDined on 1/27/2014The ambience, design and atmosphere of this restaurant is awesome. Probably one of the nicer looking restos in downtown San Mateo. Unfortunately, the food was not good. It lacked flavor and was bland. The best part of the meal was the sweet potato chips they give you for free. We had the fried chicken, shrimp and mushroom pasta, one of the specials - beef bourginon, and a pizza. None of these stood out. I'm not a great cook and I can say that I can probably come up with something better. This place needs to step up their game. Don't think they'll last long serving up sub-par meals.
- Great bus boys bad serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/22/2014I felt like I was back. In Montreal with the speed and quality of service. We were seated and weren't greeted by a server for 15 minutes. Then she was extremely slow in checking in throughout the meal and we had to ask for the check after waiting another 15-20 minutes after bus boys cleared our plates. The bus boys were fantastic in checking in about water and keeping plates cleared. The restaurant was not crowded in the slightest. It was a Wednesday night. Made a note when booking a reservation about it being a birthday dinner for a pregnant friend and asked for a comfy and quiet table. We were seated directly by the door. Again, the restaurant was half empty. Very disappointing.
- Three restaurantbobbies75thVIPDined on 1/18/2014This new set-up of the restaurant is very casual. Food is very good. if I go back, it would be for lunch, not dinner. Sort of an upgraded Denney's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THREEgigiDined on 1/7/2014We have dined at Three in San Mateo several times and have found it to be delicious, innovative and consistent! The ambiance is great fun and we will go back many times!Special Features: