Sofia Italian Steakhouse
1430 VFW Parkway
West Roxbury, MA 02132Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sofia Italian Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sofiaboston.com/
- Phone: 6174692600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Warden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3 course dinner Monday & Tuesday - $20 / person
3 course dinner Wednesday & Thursday - $25 / person
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: MBTA DIRECTIONS:
FOREST HILL MBTA STATION
Bus #36 (Forest Hills/VA Hospital) terminates at the Veteran’s Hospital on the VFW Parkway. Cross Spring Street, to 1430 VFW Parkway on the north bound side.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Parking every Saturday
A word from Sofia Italian Steakhouse
Sofia is an elegant Italian Steakhouse providing an urban dining experience in a suburban location. A remarkable selection of wines by the glass are offered and wine is prominently displayed in the bar area. Sofia offers superior hospitality in a high energy atmosphere featuring an attractive classic decor. Our mission is to consistently provide every guest with a unique dining experience - delicious food, an excellent selection of beverages and wines and professional unparalleled service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sofia Italian Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (51)romantic (50)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- It was a special night forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009It was a special night for me, as it was one year ago I was diagoned with cancer and now I am cancer free. It was a very nice place to go the staff was great the food fabulous couldn't ask for anything more. Thank you so much it was great LorettaSpecial Features:
- great valentines day restaraunt,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2009great valentines day restaraunt, the service was amazing, it felt like the waitress was only handling our table, as soon as we sat down we recorved water and bread, but best of all was the price of food, most of the menu was in the 12-18 dollar range, but the service we recieved felt like a much much pricier restaraunt, great placeSpecial Features:
- I ordered the steak and fries.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009I ordered the steak and fries. The fries were shoe string fries, cripsy and golden. The steak was a skirt steak, about as tough as one would expect the steak to be. However it lacked any real flavor. My wife order the scallops w/crab risotto cake. The scallops were very good, but the risotto cake tasted more like a crab cake gone bad. over all not a bad experience. We would go back to try more to the selections. The amiance was very nice. Not to bright not to dim. Nice bar setup.Special Features:
- Food & service was great. MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/13/2009Food & service was great. Menu has something for everyone & priced reasonablySpecial Features:
- it was alright. paid 23 bucksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2009it was alright. paid 23 bucks for 7 scallops...eh!Special Features:
- Our 8 yr. old had celebratedyokie123Dined on 2/7/2009Our 8 yr. old had celebrated his first reconciliation (1st time you go to confession) so we wanted to take him someplace special. Food was excellent (even though the waiter told us they haven't yet hired a chef...I don't think they need to). Waiter was friendly and helpful (husband asked if fish was fresh or frozen, he said fresh but then checked w/kitchen and found out frozen and was nice enough to come back to let us know - my husband switched to Porterhouse steak). Only complaints I guess were that we had to ask if there were any specials, very noisy and towards the end service was very slow - but I suppose it got busy in there (Sat. night). Oh, and they did bring back valet I guess just for wkends...just not needed in my opinion.Special Features:
- I had the broiled schrod withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/6/2009I had the broiled schrod with rice and cauliflower.The food was fresh, well prepared, and not fussed over. Exactly what I like. My husband had the prime rib, mashed potatoes and cauliflower, caesar salad ,large enough for a meal in itself. Creme Brule for him, cookies and ice cream for me. Good choices but I don't like my cookies heated. The restaurant itself was clean, comfortable, I didn't feel rushed. The other diners, a group of 14 in our section talked at their normal tones but the low ceilings gave the noise a fuller sound. I would not recommend this restaurant for a romantic or special occasion date. Would recommend to a friend. Would go there again.Special Features:
- The food was great, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2009The food was great, and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- we thought it was great, willOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/31/2009we thought it was great, will go back again many timesSpecial Features:
- Food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2009Food and service was excellent. Prices were moderate. We enjoyed our meal. The noise level, however, was a little loud. Reservations are a must on Sat night. We would go back there again.Special Features:
- I understand it's under newTiaADined on 1/27/2009I understand it's under new management, was hesitant because my first experience was so nice, however, Vintage still did not disappoint. From greeting to leaving it was worth it.Special Features:
- We had the grilled pork chopsDonaldVIPDined on 1/24/2009We had the grilled pork chops and they were great. My only complaint was that it was very noisy. They need to work on sound deadening methods.Special Features:
- Reasonably priced for theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/23/2009Reasonably priced for the portion size. The menu has a great range for picky eaters and foodies alike. The cheese plate was wonderful and the steak frites outstanding.Special Features:
- The customer service was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/23/2009The customer service was great and the food prepared very well. The wait staff made sure to answer all questions and was very attentive. I was with a group of 10 and every person felt as though the waiter was helping only them. You should go with a hearty appetite because you do want to tatse something from each course.Special Features:
- WE HAVE BEEN THERE SEVERALOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/22/2009WE HAVE BEEN THERE SEVERAL TIMES NOW . OLD OWNERS AND NEW OWNERS. THE FOOD IS ACTUALLY BETTER NOW AND THE PRICES ARE LOWER. I HAD THE RIBEYE AND IT WAS COOKED TO PERFECTION. THERE WAS SIX IN OUR PARTY AND EVERYONES DINNER WAS GOOD AS WERE THE APPITIZERSSpecial Features:
- Cocktails Menu needs work,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/21/2009Cocktails Menu needs work, some of the mixes taste like medicine.Special Features:
- This was our second time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/17/2009This was our second time dining at the new Vintage. We had a wonderful meal and a very attentive waitress.The bar area gets very crowded as the night progresses so I suggest either early or late seating for your dinner. Due to the snow this winter, the parking was not easy and we had to park in a back lot that was very very icy.Special Features:
- Vintage has re-opened andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/17/2009Vintage has re-opened and has down-scaled. The food was just okay, not very tasty. The waitress was not very attentive. It took a long time to get the original drink order and later, we had to ask for our water to be refilled (after waiting quite a long time with empty glasses). We preferred the former Vintage.Special Features:
- We were very pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/17/2009We were very pleasantly surprised - reservations were honored, the food was very well prepared and plentiful and the salad crisp and well prepared... We would definitely return again.Special Features:
- This is the new incarnationTheStewardVIPDined on 1/17/2009This is the new incarnation of Vintage. While they did not change the name, it is under new owners with a clear Italian flavor. Food was very good. Mostly simple dishes, but well done. Interior is unchanged from old Vintage. Try to get in one of the two private rooms. Otherwise, it is very noisy. Conversation can be difficult. Service was good, not great. Waiter did not know wine list, but bartender sent over a sample in response to question about a wine.Special Features:
- The best feature of the newOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2009The best feature of the new Vintage was it's employees. From the host/hostess to the bar tenders and the wait staff everyone was very professional, too bad the same could not be said about the kitchen. I feel Vintage has some areas that need to be addressed. First is the size of the portions not of the dinner salads, because they are quite large,but of the entree selections. A gentleman in our party ordered a Filet Mignon and it could not have been any larger than possibly 2 ounces.When we complained to the waitress she was at first reluctant to do anything about it,but upon our insistance she had another one prepared which was much larger. I had the salmon special,which while tasty,was also lacking in size of the portions.Will try again.
- Interesting that this looksOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2009Interesting that this looks exactly like the old Vintage, just a different menu. Italian-focused but offering all kinds of other specials. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Vintage was excellent. EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2009Vintage was excellent. Everyone at our table ordered something different and each of us claimed that our choice was the best. It was so good that my wife and I returned the next evening. The waitstaff was great.
- The room is quite nice. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/6/2009The room is quite nice. The food was fair at best. Certainly not worth the price, but not the worst I've ever eaten. Although the experience was not awful, I will not return to this restaurant.
- We were pleasantly suprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/3/2009We were pleasantly suprised at the wide selection on the menu. It is close to impossible to look at the menu and not find something to eat. The food was excellet and the prices perfect.Special Features:
- Nice evening, menu had changedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/1/2009Nice evening, menu had changed from previous ownership, a few less choices, but still a nice evening...
- We had a great time at Vintage.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2008We had a great time at Vintage. Smartly they put us in a private room after I requested 4 high chairs and it worked out perfectly for us. The kids got to go off and play in the corner while we finished our dinners. What could be better? We all had tasty meals, although the filet mignon and veal dishes were both on the small side for that price in Dedham/ West Roxbury. Overall, though, we had a very good experience and will certainly consider returning in the future.Special Features:
- BEING A HOLIDAY WEEK, ANDOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/28/2008BEING A HOLIDAY WEEK, AND A SUNDAY NIGHT, AND FAIRLY NEW OWNERSHIP, THE HOSTESS APOLIGIZED WHEN WE CHECKED IN THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO WAIT BECAUSE OF AN UNEXPECTED AMOUNT OF PEOPLE COMING IN AT THE SAME TIME. WHEN WE WERE SEATED, IT WAS VERY NICE THAT THE MANAGER ( VIA THE WAITRESS) GAVE US A ROUND OF DRINKS ON THE HOUSE TO FURTHER APOLIGIZE FOR THE DELAY IN SEATING US. THE WAITRESS WAS WONDERFUL AND THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD. WE HAD A LEISURELY DINNER AND WERE NOT RUSHED.WE DEFINITELY WILL DINE AT VINTAGE AGAIN IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
- We were looking forward toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2008We were looking forward to the fine dining we experienced at Vintage on Valentines Day 2008. Unfortunately, after change in ownership, we found a family dining experience. While it is a very good family dining restaurant, it is no longer the fine dining, special experience we had in February. The menu is more standard now. No longer did we find the special surprise from the chef nor the unique squash ravioli appetizer.Special Features:
- We did not enjoy our mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/20/2008We did not enjoy our meal at Vintage! The food was not good at all--very low quality. The waitress was full of personality but disappeared for long periods. The restaurant was very noisy--we sat at a half booth/half table table and had a difficult time hearing each other talk. We had been to the old vintage and were looking forward to the new menu and new ownership. What a bust! We will not return.
- This is a wonderful resturant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/17/2008This is a wonderful resturant! We had our Christmas party here and the staff was attentive without being overbearing. The prices where very reasonable and the food was FABULOUS! We also liked that it was not noisey. This was important. I would recommend Vintage to everyone!Special Features:
- We went with the whole familyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/14/2008We went with the whole family (2 adults, boys ages 8 and 13). There is a kid's menu, and the main menu is extensive, offering choices for everyone. The food was good, and the restaurant is nice looking inside. It was a bit expensive for us as we had several steak eaters. The menu offers items at a broad range of prices, however, so you could enjoy the surroundings for less than we spent. I would recommend.Special Features:
- It is not the old VintageOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/13/2008It is not the old Vintage [sic]. They were closed for a period of time and have re-opened under new ownership and/or management. The Cesar salad was poor; however our scallop entree was very good. The original Vintage was memorable and worth going out of the way for, not the case now. The tuna tartar was different, less tuna now mixed with some of those crunchy Chinese noodles. Tasty, but the old version was memorable with the wasabi sauce. We missed the rack of lamb. The place was packed—which is good in these economic times. The price point on the entrées seemed to be lower by a few dollars which is commensurate with the new Vintage.Special Features:
- Place was nice. Crowded butJeffVIPDined on 12/13/2008Place was nice. Crowded but it was a Sat night. Serivce was good. Food was fair. I had veal piccata which was overcooked and bland. My wife had a filet and she liked it.
- We had a great time at Vintage,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/12/2008We had a great time at Vintage, but there were a few notable occurences. Parking was very scarce. Also, it would have been nice if there was music or if the music was at a higher volume. It was my girlfriend's birthday, but they were out of cakes. The service was great, and the food was delicious. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall, I would recommend Vintage to everyone, but get there early so you can find a parking spot!Special Features:
- Good but not great. I hadCZM1VIPDined on 12/7/2008Good but not great. I had a veal chop, nicely done but served with a plate of lukewarm reheated veggies. My friend did not bother to take home leftovers. Ambience is very nice. Bottom line: I may give it one more try just because of the ambience.
- The entrees were very good...weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2008The entrees were very good...we were a bit confused by the Greek undertones on the menu...isn't this supposed to be an Italian restaurant? The appetizers were not very good. The bruschetta was disliked by all eight of the diners...the fried calamari was a bit undercooked...not very flavorful...the spinach dip was adequate. The wine list was too expensive and not enough moderate wines to choose from...diners decided on vodka drinks instead. Liked the entrees very much.Special Features:
- Four of us 30 somethings wentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2008Four of us 30 somethings went to Vintage to celebrate a birthday, and enjoyed and excellet meal and service. I had the steak filet, it was perfect, and everyone else enjoyed their meals. The pork was a bit hard to cut though. I thought the bar tap selection could use some diversity, but overall all I am recomending Vintage to my friends, and will cetainly visit again soon.Special Features:
- Really great atmosphere. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/23/2008Really great atmosphere. I was worried about the food after reading a few reviews here, but both entrees we ordered were excellent. The portions were huge - we could have shared, which actually would have made the meal very inexpensive too! The desert was only ok... But all around experience was lovely. We will return.Special Features:
- They have reduced the menuPmacdVIPDined on 11/22/2008They have reduced the menu prices and eliminated the valet. It's a very nice place but the food and service could be better.Special Features: