Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
440 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unclejacks.com/
- Phone: 2122440005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm. Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: William Jack Degel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email Muhammed@unclejacks.com for private party and catering info.
- Special Events: Manhattan locations only. Uncle Jack’s is now proud to offer all inclusive, 3-course Prix-fixe lunch. Just $29.95. Ask your server or bartender for details. Tuesdays: all wines on our list are half price for Lifestyle members.
A word from Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
The place to meet, eat and enjoy the finer things in life. Specializing in 21 day dry aged USDA Prime meats, Kobe beef, Australian lobster tails and offering a wide array of seafood and wines. Join us for our old world charm and impeccable service. Some of our reviews; The New York Times 3 Stars "This steakhouse leaves no item overlooked...." - Crain's "New York's best pocket-sized steakhouse..." - Daily News 4 Stars "...outstanding service and excellent food that is imaginatively prepared..." - Zagat Survey "Mouth watering steaks...a true gem...a friendly staff..." - "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence" - "5 Star Diamond Award from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences" - Newsday 3 Stars "a handsome slice of a restaurant...Queen's best steakhouse..." William Jack Degel honors his Godfather, the proprietor of Jack's, a 1930's prohibition-style Victorian speak-easy. At Uncle Jack's, where the motto is "Customer is King,” his legend lives on.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (53)romantic (48)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (46)great for lunch (38)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Service - So So FoodNYCRockerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Although I absolutely LOVE the customer service at every Uncle Jacks steakhouse (where else do you have 4 people hovering over your table serving you food), but on par with other steak houses I would say the food "very good but no excellent". I took my wife to the 9th Ave. location for Mother's Day with our 3yr old daughter. The service was outstanding. However, I believe our the Porterhouse for two rested for far too long. It arrived barely lukewarm at best, and went cold far too quickly. I have had medium rare come to the table much hotter. Garlic mashed was OK as was the creamed spinach - but again they arrived only lukewarm at best. The restaurant was 1/4 full at best, so there is no reason the dishes should have not come out hot.Special Features:
- Much overrated and pricyStephDined on 5/8/2014The restaurant came recommended by the hotel at which we were staying for a good steakhouse... The place boasts to be the best steakhouse in NYC. Unfortunately we were disappointed with the quality of the meat and felt that the price was not worth the value at all. The place itself was nice, the service good, the winelist interesting and the ambience OK but all of this is not enough to justify a 190$ bill (2 Tbone steaks, 1 dessert, 1 glass of wine, 1 fruit juice) with a meat not really tender as you'd expect. Later during our stay we had much better meat for much less money. All in all, we felt that we had fallen in a tourist trap despite the quality of service.
- Great Steakhouse, try it!BloominBillDined on 4/30/2014My fiancee and I had a wonderful steak dinner at Jack's this week. Very convenient parking right next door. Giovanni was wonderful wating on us. Never feeling rushed at all, service was very atttentive and friendly. We both ordered the boneless NY strip steaks, which were perfectly cooked to medium rare, a side baked potato that was the large enough for two, sauteed mushrooms and creamed spinach. Both of us have dined at great restaurants across the globe and Jack's served a very good meal. Everything was excellent. There were wonderful selections of wines on the list. Looking for a cozy steak house with excellent food and great service?? Try Jack's on 9th Ave.. I don't think you will be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLS7Dined on 4/27/2014After being seated was told by the waitress the kitchen was running behind and it might take long. This prompted us to order Entrees only and skip appetizers. She asked if we would like a drink and I asked for wine. She asked what type and I said Cabernet, she the walked away and brought a Cab but never mentioned there were three choices of Cab available. We both ordered the bone-in NY Strip medium rare and both arrived medium well to well, although I will say we did not wait too long for our over done steaks! Overall a poor performance.
- Jack's-Love at first sight!LovetheplaceDined on 4/26/2014Great food. Great atmosphere. Great times. Great find. You won't be disappointed. One of the great finds on the West Side Midtown-Hell's Kitchen/Chelsea.Special Features:
- First Bland SteakMRunner121Dined on 4/26/2014After having many fine steaks at uncle Jacks, had the prime rib chop bone in and just no flavor or seasoning, very disappointed as very other steak has been great, new york strip was excellent on same day. In fairness the waiter did offer to make me another steak but I felt bad about it since I ordered it but probably should have taken him up on that.Special Features:
- Food good but service not so muchFoolMeOnceDined on 4/24/2014Went on Thurs afternoon after NY Int'l Auto Show, based on a friend's recommendation. My friend said the ambiance and food were great and though the waiter mixed up their orders, they apologized and offered free desserts. We thought we'd give it a try. This is a high priced steakhouse and we were prepared for a NY price for quality beef, but one of our orders for an med rare filet came well done and it took asking three waiters to get it replaced. Also had to ask three times to get some dressing for salads AND to top it off, one of the desserts we ordered didn't come. AGAIN, took asking 3 times and took 10 min. more to come out. I had enough and finally said something. They took the price of dessert and coffee off, but were not going back.
- A Restaurant to Keep in Mind!EvaSDined on 4/18/2014We've always found it rather difficult to find a quality restaurant in the neighborhood around Madison Square Garden...until now! How did we miss Uncle Jack's all these years? The steaks we had were fantastic and the service was warm and efficient. However, the noise level on the main floor is really high. The next time we dine there, we'll request seating in the upstairs balcony area.Special Features:
- Excellent Business Lunch VenueJimmyTaraDined on 4/14/2014Professional staff seemed business mindful by not interrupting if you are in deep discussion. Food well prepared and substitutions not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKiane33Dined on 4/12/2014We went here to celebrate two friends birthdays. The staff was great and very personable. The food couldn't have been any better. We had oysters on the half shell and I am still thinking about them. Not one piece of sand. Delicious. Definitely on my top ten restaurants of all time that I have dined at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMartyDined on 4/10/2014Attentive and knowledgeable staff. My guest was rapturous about her burger smothered in onion. My sole was crisp and flavorsome. We are at 2:30 so the noise was low and we were totally unrushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go back to uncle jackJimmyDined on 4/7/2014Worst experience ever. Service was nonexistent, staff & other patrons were rude and I would feed their steak to my dog. We will never go back!!!
- Overall great experience.FrequentVisitorDined on 4/5/2014Overall great experience. We were on a family weekend trip to NYC and decided to stop in for a Saturday night steak dinner. They did not disappoint us. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. Food was cooked to our liking. Its not cheap but you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- Husband's Birthday was a Success!enryherinDined on 4/5/2014Great service, delicious food, fun atmosphere. Not as "stuffy" as other NYC Steakhouses. Highly recommend for a group!Special Features:
- ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Our expectations were high, given the TV show. I did not envy the wait staff to have to live up to our expectations... But they did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MealDineOutDined on 4/5/2014Uncle Jack's has character and the staff is wonderful. I will save my visit's for special occasions because it's a bit expensive. My Husband and I dined on the surf and turf with a couple of glasses of champagne. We repeated the same selections the next night somewhere else where the food was just as fabulous at 2/5 the cost.Special Features:
- Just greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Food great. Service great. Just awesome experience....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden hot SpoyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/4/2014Great steaks and better service. My colleague arrived late but the staff hustled and served us a fab meal and fast and we made the tip off --- no problem. Ain't cheap, good things usually ain't either!Special Features:
- Very tight spacessimo02VIPDined on 4/3/2014The tables for two located flush against a support column are not very comfortable. The food is quality steakhouse typical. The service is equally good.
- Yum Yum YumSantaBabyVIPDined on 3/30/2014This place was spectacular ! I loved it. Food was amazing and the employees really cater to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks and good serviceYoshiroDined on 3/30/2014Food was exceptional and service was great. Only one issue, waiter looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about the Sunday Special. Don't advertise a special on your website if you are going to pretend like it doesn't exist when your patrons order it. Made me uncomfortable when looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about and said he'd have to "check on it". Good polite service from that point on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack needs a stakeout!Foodie88Dined on 3/28/2014I have enjoyed Jack's show Restaurant Stakeout, we wanted to experience Jack's highly regarded customer service experience. We had one night to enjoy a high end meal and we chose Uncle Jack's. We were at the Waldorf and wanted to do the 56th location but could only get in on the 9th Ave location which was a $51 round trip cab trip. I do want to preface the comments that our experience was not terrible, it was enjoyable. The staff was friendly and the food was good but with all the hype that Jack conveys about his restaurant on his show, we were expecting to be blown away with exceptional customer service and possibly sacrifice food quality but we were surprised that the service was good at best and not excellent or superior.Special Features:
- We highly recommend handsGreatVIPDined on 3/28/2014We highly recommend hands down. Ask for a table on the second floor looking down. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was going to a concert.....wasemracerDined on 3/21/2014was going to a concert.....was having such a good time...thought of canning the concert and just sitting back and enjoying the meal....didn't do that....but the food was great, atmosphere we loved....just a good time.Special Features:
- Best Steak House EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/20142nd visit, just as I remembered the 1st. Great food, friendly service and a good value.Special Features:
- Great place obnoxious wait staff!ArtieDined on 3/20/2014My company recently relocated to an office space just two blocks away from this restaurant. We decided to start having business dinners there and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of food, the fast service and a friendly maître'd. Unfortunately, the last couple of dining experiences were ruined by the wait staff's obnoxious attitude. When I politely asked when to expect my meal to come out, the waitress gave me a sarcastic look and told me she only had two hands. Another time, when my colleague handed his empty plate to the waiter, he huffed and rolled his eyes before taking it from him. Needless to say, this wait staff could benefit from being a little more courteous and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerVinceDined on 3/19/2014Bit loud, cold draft by front door, apps were incredible, steak (16oz filet just ok). If I had to do again I'd order more apps and pass on the steak. Bit too loud overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful restaurantLADY128Dined on 3/18/2014I have only gonet there for lunch but this is a great restaurant . The decor, the atmospher , the service, the food is perfect. I go sometimes to their east side location which I like very much. But this one has an old world atmosphere which would be difficult to duplicate. It is a great business restaurant as per its proximity to the Javits Center but I am hoping to go there in the evening The food is cooked to perfection, the waiters are real professional. Everything one wants in a restaurantSpecial Features:
- We had a great dinner onceJanelleVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had a great dinner once again, Our waiter was excellent and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch!MicheleDined on 3/14/2014Four of us enjoyed a wonderful lunch. The staff were very attentive and quick (so this is a work day lunch spot). Luckily, we were not on a time frame and we were not rushed out after eating. Great food. Will defintely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NY Style LunchHoosieDined on 3/13/2014I have been to Uncle Jacks on 9th Avenue several times for both business lunches and with friends and family. I have not been in a while, but based on my last experiences and the Restaurant Stakeout show, I had very high expectations and Jack's did not disappoint. The service was excellent, There was always someone checking in or close without hovering. The place was bustling and busy (typical NY mixed crowd for NYC weekday for a good place. I have enjoyed many of the top restaurants in NYC and 2 of my guest have enjoyed the same and both complimented the steak as fantastic (and those 2 are not easy to please). Lunch was pricey ($200 + with the steak for 2) but worth it. Keep it up Jack and the Uncle Jack's team on 34th and 9th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used To Be BetterLANYDined on 3/11/2014Perhaps it was a bad night, but things didn't go well. Service was spotty and food was off, quite off.
- Getting worse and worseAwesomeScottVIPDined on 3/11/2014I took a client here for lunch this week, we both ordered the filet steak sandwich It was TERRIBLE. maybe 3 slices of meat and a ton of over cooked onions we mentioned the small amount of meat on our sandwich and the server said it was because they use such hi quality beef. I had to laugh at that. Uncle Jacks just seems to be getting worse and worse. the service is usually good to excellent. But the food has really dropped off. I think its time for Willie to stop saving other peoples restaurants and save his own. I used to be a regular but in NYC there are too many great steakhouses to settle for a bad one.
- Food reviewmattcast64Dined on 3/8/2014I've been to this restaurant several times over the past couple of years. Normally a great place with a nice atmosphere, excellent service and really great food. However, this time I was disappointed that my steak was undercooked and when I sent it back it took about 15 minutes for it to come back to me and by that time my wife had finished her meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, not great andRob55VIPDined on 3/4/2014Food was good, not great and very pricey. It is a fun, energetic place to eat and very convenient to the Garden.
- Incredible Evening!FourfromCTDined on 3/4/2014Four of us had 5:30 dinner reservations (we were going to Sting/Paul Simon concert) - showed up 1/2 hour earlier, sat at the bar which started one incredible, stress-free, evening!!! The service was just awesome throughout the entire evening as was the food!!! Definitely going back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakMikeVIPDined on 3/2/2014Went to Jack's recently to celebrate a family event. The place is a step back in time to "Old New York" and feels very old fashioned, but be prepared to spend big bucks. We all had excellent steaks and the Martinis were perfect! Good service tops off a fine evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Is Not A CharmRobGDined on 3/1/2014We've dined here previously and loved it. This time, my steak was cooked the way I like it, and was very warm, but not hot. My wife's entree was overcooked, and she couldn't eat it. It was prepared over again, but by that time my dinner, as well as our friends dinners were barely warm, as we tried to be polite and not dine without her. The staff was very cordial, but rather nonchalant, in no way offering to accommodate us for the inconvenience. I don't think that Willie would have approved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best steakhousesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014One of the best steakhouses in NYC, perhaps THE best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meat. Large choiceChardonnayParis10Dined on 2/19/2014Excellent meat. Large choice of good wines. Good ambience. Nice american steak house. A little bit expensive (but kid menu at good value).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.