Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
440 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unclejacks.com/
- Phone: 2122440005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm. Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: William Jack Degel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email Muhammed@unclejacks.com for private party and catering info.
- Special Events: Manhattan locations only. Uncle Jack’s is now proud to offer all inclusive, 3-course Prix-fixe lunch. Just $29.95. Ask your server or bartender for details. Tuesdays: all wines on our list are half price for Lifestyle members.
A word from Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
The place to meet, eat and enjoy the finer things in life. Specializing in 21 day dry aged USDA Prime meats, Kobe beef, Australian lobster tails and offering a wide array of seafood and wines. Join us for our old world charm and impeccable service. Some of our reviews; The New York Times 3 Stars "This steakhouse leaves no item overlooked...." - Crain's "New York's best pocket-sized steakhouse..." - Daily News 4 Stars "...outstanding service and excellent food that is imaginatively prepared..." - Zagat Survey "Mouth watering steaks...a true gem...a friendly staff..." - "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence" - "5 Star Diamond Award from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences" - Newsday 3 Stars "a handsome slice of a restaurant...Queen's best steakhouse..." William Jack Degel honors his Godfather, the proprietor of Jack's, a 1930's prohibition-style Victorian speak-easy. At Uncle Jack's, where the motto is "Customer is King,” his legend lives on.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)fit for foodies (74)notable wine list (56)good for groups (50)romantic (42)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (36)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- First time visitors from outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009First time visitors from out of town. Very impressed with service. Held reservation 30 minutes due to traffic. Did not expect it to be held! Seated immediately. Very good selection of courses. Ample portions. Very extensive wine list to fit all price ranges. Best service we have EVER had from Michael and his team. He was not pushy when we considered high priced drinks and was very prompt in providing advice/service. Overall, while very pricy for folks from out of town, it was a memorable experience and one you must try while in NYC. If you can only have one upscale dining experience while in NYC, Uncle Jack's is it!Special Features:
- Great steak, comfortable atmosphereJeffinshVIPDined on 2/11/2009Great steak, comfortable atmosphere and superb service!Special Features:
- This is our second trip toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2009This is our second trip to Uncle Jacks. They were very accommodating of our large group of 9. The waiter was engrossed in a TV sports show and we began to wonder if he was going to ask us about dessert or give us the bill. When asking for a doggie bag instead of giving us the bag they set it in a chair nearby and we all had to search for it. The steak which is a first class cut was loaded with salt flavoring and it took away from the potential gorgeous flavor I was expecting for this cut of beef. If you don't eat salt be sure to address this.
- couldn't get into nick & stef'ssandyDined on 2/2/2009couldn't get into nick & stef's on our way to a knick game, so we found this place. WHAT a find. the steak was delicious. will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Decent spot for a pre MSGOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2009Decent spot for a pre MSG event, but the porterhouse steak was way over salted. I don't mind having seasoned meats, but this was a bit too much. The waiter also told us we had to get our food order in asap to be able to make the MSG game on time (which we all appreciated) but when we wanted to give him our order, he said that he wanted to put our wine order in first. I won't be returning to this place.
- Restaurant has a nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2009Restaurant has a nice atmosphere. Food and service were great. Dinner is expensive but I would definitely return for lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch spot for aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/22/2009Excellent lunch spot for a client meeting- both food and service were impressive. Musy try the Chocolate MousseSpecial Features:
- very good steak house in theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/21/2009very good steak house in the vicinity of MSG - good for client entertaining.Special Features:
- As always, the food was superb,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/15/2009As always, the food was superb, and the staff was attentive and very courteous; however, when I arrived at the resturant, I was asked to wait by the bar, which was fine, but while waiting there, I observed individuals, who arrived after me, being seated. I was seated, only, after I questioned why seating was taking so long. Furthermore, I was not asked if wanted to check my coat. Aside from the above-mentioned, all was exquisite.Special Features:
- This is my second time here.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2009This is my second time here. This time, I saw things I didn't like. I am confused about who is helping you. There is one person in a tux, and then another waiter. then they take your order from memory, and then tell another person to memory. Therefore, things get lost in translation. I asked for a medium steak, and it came rare, and I asked for plain broccoli, and it came with garlic and oil. The tux guy asked us how we wanted it, and he made the garlic and oil suggestion, and I said no. I do like the presentation of the food, and how it it cut off the bone into nice easy to mange strips. Also, we had a reservation for 6 and we arrived at 5:30, and the place was empty, but they seemed like they were "thrown off" rather than saying, welcome.
- The staff was so friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2009The staff was so friendly - even brought me a complimentary dessert sampling tray after dinner. I got filet mignon, and it was delicious, as were the sides!Special Features:
- Always perfect for an incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/5/2009Always perfect for an incredible pre MSG trip. Add this on to going to a Ranger Game and you are looking at one hell of a Great night, but very expensive. Worth it though.Special Features:
- This is our favorite SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/2/2009This is our favorite Steak House in NYC we go everytime we are in city. Great lunches.Special Features:
- The food at the Uncle Jack'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2008The food at the Uncle Jack's was good; however, they do not do a good job of cooking the steak how you ordered it. I ordered a medium well Kobe Beef steak, and my wife ordered a medium surf and turf. Mine was not supposed to have any red. There was much red. My wife's steak was medium rare also. She should have only had a think red line of pink according to the waiter. Besides that, the service and atmosphere are wonderful. Anyways, both steaks were still really good.
- Great location especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/29/2008Great location especially for Long Islanders and New Jersey folks. Service was great and the owner sat us at a table early as the bar was crowed and our other companions had not yet arrived. Private room if you have a larger party and want a more intimate setting. Great for a business lunch or dinner meeting.Special Features:
- I think this placed had greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/26/2008I think this placed had great food but was way overpriced for the taste...the filet was good but not melt in your mouth...$45 for a 16oz I expected to be able to cut it with a fork...seafood was great but $50 for a platter...I don't mind paying alot for a meal and I love to dine out..but the food needs to match the price...
- for my monthly steak "fix"OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/17/2008for my monthly steak "fix" this was very dissapointing NY strip had ZERO taste. Brocolli side was raw. This is off my list
- AWESOME ! As always! We goOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2008AWESOME ! As always! We go there for the Steaks and wine. This restaurant is always warm and inviting. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- The food was top notch. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/4/2008The food was top notch. My wife and I ate at the other Uncle Jacks while the food was just a good this one was cozier. We've celebrated our anniversary here for the past two years. We come up from Tampa Fl and look forward to our visit to Uncle Jacks. The service was friendly and left nothing to want for. The steak is a must have but the oysters were the besat I've ever had. We look forward to many more aniversary meals here.Special Features:
- Good food and MSG don't goOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/3/2008Good food and MSG don't go together. This place is great for the pre-MSG crowd! Very good steaks and nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- we ordered late versus ourOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/3/2008we ordered late versus our time frame ...but the my steak was cold,service was just fair. very atypical for uncle jacksSpecial Features:
- Uncle Jack's has a great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2008Uncle Jack's has a great lunch menu to meet with friends, co workers, or business partners. The portions are smaller, and so is the price, so you won't go to sleep when you head back to work, you won't spend a ton of money on luch, and you get the same great service as if you were there for a big dinner.Special Features:
- We passed by Uncle Jacks oneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2008We passed by Uncle Jacks one night and decided to try it the next time we were in town. My wife and I are very glad we did! The food was great and the wait staff was just outstanding. We highly recommend this restaurant. It is just a short walk to Madison Sq. Garden so the next time you have an event to go to you should try Uncle Jacks.Special Features:
- Good food as usual (excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/13/2008Good food as usual (excellent meat) - service very bad as usual.
- A steak had to be sent back,visitingnewyorkerDined on 11/13/2008A steak had to be sent back, they took care of it but still not a good situation
- Go hungry! The food is outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2008Go hungry! The food is outstanding...best steak in town! Their lobster tail is my favorite, however. Appetizers range from classic caesar salad to colossal shrimp cocktail. Side dishes are amazing and plentiful. Romantic setting for just the two of us but this is our favorite place to celebrate special occasions with friends and family. Service is superior to other 5 stars in the city. Save room for the molten chocolate cake for dessert. Extensive wine list. Make reservations ahead of time to get a nice cozy booth. Offers gift certificate which we have given as wedding anniversary gifts! Private room for large groups. Convenient parking next to restaurant. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Compared with other NY steakhouses,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/23/2008Compared with other NY steakhouses, Uncle Jack's is lagging. Took two returns to the kitchen to get my pre-sliced steak correctly cooked (third time is a charm). Waitstaff and Maitre'D were very good, but the food....
- Dinner was terrific and theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2008Dinner was terrific and the staff was very professionalSpecial Features:
- From the moment I arrivedBlacklug2013VIPDined on 9/29/2008From the moment I arrived here they treated me like a KING. My waiter Harold was perfect and the side portions are huge. The servers and busboys are very polite and professional.Special Features:
- Quality of food was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2008Quality of food was very good. Dinner menu was available during lunch. Service was mediocre. Went for late business lunch and once most of the crowd left we never saw the waiter again.Special Features:
- Great steakhouse burger, excellentDrMartinVIPDined on 9/19/2008Great steakhouse burger, excellent salad, attentive service. A great place for a business or casual upscale lunch. Dr. MSpecial Features:
- Average reliable steakhouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/15/2008Average reliable steakhouse. Nothing to rave about but the food was decent overall.
- great room, great food, fabulousTRAVELLINMAN36Dined on 9/15/2008great room, great food, fabulous decor. don't be in a rush! decent wine list on the italian side, but a tad short on the french reds. strange for a steak house. very friendly and accomodating staffSpecial Features:
- Words can't express just howOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2008Words can't express just how DISAPPOINTING this place is. I travel for a living and my passion is going to steakhouses all over the country. This place ranks on the bottom of the list. What Uncle Jack forgot is that it's about the steak. The 24oz strip was about 12ozs, 1/2inch thick and came sliced to the table, I CAN CUT MY OWN MEAT! The waiter told me Jack lies about the weight. If your in NY, go elsewhere, Lugers, DelFrisco, ANYWHERE but here. Complete ripoff and hype.
- absolutely great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2008absolutely great food and service i will keep going back again and againSpecial Features:
- We went there for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2008We went there for a birthday and we definitely not disappointed. We were looking for something nice but not overly fancy and that's just what we got. It was a very comfortable environment and the food was excellent. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food was great but very filling.LuvthisplaceDined on 8/20/2008Food was great but very filling. We ate by the open doors. A liitle noisy at rush hour but still niceSpecial Features:
- i live right across from UncleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2008i live right across from Uncle Jack's and have been there a couple of times. Every time I go there, I love their food. Filet Mignon, Lamb Chop, Lobster & porter house... everything is perfect!! planning to go back soon!Special Features:
- The place is way too pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2008The place is way too pretentious and full of itself. The food was pretty good; better than I was expecting based on other reviews, but the service was horrible. The waiter was pushy and rude. In spite of ordering salads, steaks, and sides, he was offended that didn't order appetizers and dessert. Then we never saw him again the rest of the meal. They don't have printed menus. The menu is on a chalkboard hanging on the wall across the dimly lit room. If I'm ordering from a menu board, my food had better be served by a clown and not cost over $5.Special Features:
- Uncle Jack's may be New York'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2008Uncle Jack's may be New York's best overall steakhouse. THe porterhouse streaks are dry aged in house for 20-21 days. I literally was cutting it with a fork. Lots of other great choices of meats and seafoods. The extensive wine list range from moderate to expensive. I settled for a nice bottle of 2000 Bretani Amarone, which was perfect with the steak. I cannot say enough about the service. This place is perfect if you are ready for a change from the tired gruff steakhouse waiter, who couldn't tell a good wine from grape juice. We had the best waiter in New York. The decor is very elegant and tasteful. It has the feel of a high end 1900 century New Orleans brothel, without the dancing girls. No need to over dress either.Special Features: