Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
440 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unclejacks.com/
- Phone: 2122440005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm. Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: William Jack Degel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email Muhammed@unclejacks.com for private party and catering info.
- Special Events: Manhattan locations only. Uncle Jack’s is now proud to offer all inclusive, 3-course Prix-fixe lunch. Just $29.95. Ask your server or bartender for details. Tuesdays: all wines on our list are half price for Lifestyle members.
A word from Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue
The place to meet, eat and enjoy the finer things in life. Specializing in 21 day dry aged USDA Prime meats, Kobe beef, Australian lobster tails and offering a wide array of seafood and wines. Join us for our old world charm and impeccable service. Some of our reviews; The New York Times 3 Stars "This steakhouse leaves no item overlooked...." - Crain's "New York's best pocket-sized steakhouse..." - Daily News 4 Stars "...outstanding service and excellent food that is imaginatively prepared..." - Zagat Survey "Mouth watering steaks...a true gem...a friendly staff..." - "Wine Spectator Award of Excellence" - "5 Star Diamond Award from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences" - Newsday 3 Stars "a handsome slice of a restaurant...Queen's best steakhouse..." William Jack Degel honors his Godfather, the proprietor of Jack's, a 1930's prohibition-style Victorian speak-easy. At Uncle Jack's, where the motto is "Customer is King,” his legend lives on.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (53)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (48)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (39)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (15)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent MealLeslieKDined on 7/11/2014I had not heard of Uncle Jack's prior to dining here. The food was outstanding and the service was over the top. Definitely impressed - the decor was beautiful and I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncle Jack'sMittenDinerDined on 7/9/2014Having watched Restaurant Stakeout many times I knew that Uncle Jack's was a must for my first trip to the Big Apple. The hostess was pleasant, the wait staff was attentive, the food was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place !Hungry8Dined on 7/8/2014I have been to Jack's 3 times. Always good. The service is friendly. The only problem was it was a 95 degree day in NYC and the place was hot. It is pricey, but I would recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- Not what we expectedDragonreview1Dined on 7/8/2014Friendly but food was not great. food was very salty we had to cancel our dish and go some place else.
- Stay awayexperiencedElderDined on 7/2/2014Food OK, but one of the worst service experiences ever. We waited 40 minutes for the bread basket and never got our side orders. Late for theater as a result. Charged for things we didn't have and then threatened by the manager when we complained. Bad service can happen, but there is no excuse for a surly response. There were 6 of us, and we will never go back or recommend.
- First Time Visitors to NYCTexasTravelersDined on 6/30/2014Our party of four thoroughly enjoyed our lunch dining experience at Uncle Jack's. Not at all crowded at 11:30 AM on a Monday. Comfortable, quiet atmosphere. Pleasant, accommodating server. Lobster bisque was delicious. Melt in your mouth Kobe beef meat loaf is unlike any other. Our server recommended the french dip sandwiches which were excellent. I arrived craving a burger and the Big Jack with blue cheese hit the spot. We were pleasantly surprised when our server presented us with a complimentary bottle of Uncle Jack's BBQ sauce and an autographed poster of William "Jack" Degel. We look forward to returning for dinner on a future visit to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakloverDined on 6/28/2014Exquisite dining. The staff was very attentive and the food was excellent. We were celebrating my sons college graduation and they made it very special for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatMichaelVIPDined on 6/25/2014I simply love this place. Always great!! Great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMB1Dined on 6/25/2014Food is consistently good and the service is top notch.Special Features:
- jack'sillinisusieDined on 6/24/2014Great customer service at bar and in dining area. Large portions. Didn't care for cheesecake. It lacked flavor and did not come as described on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinnersuevintDined on 6/24/2014We went for dinner on my birthday with another couple, my husband and I had been there before, but they hadn't. We each had a Groupon (which was a great deal, and I snapped up as soon as I saw it offered) We were a little concerned that our waiter would be annoyed that a table of 4 would fail to be a money maker for him, and we would receive poor service. I couldn't be more wrong, our waiter was great! He was attentive and had a great personality. The food was fantastic! Steaks cooked perfectly, sides delicious! We will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- Always Top NotchCla261Dined on 6/24/2014Our waiter Michael was wonderful and the food was delish as usual. Even steak ordered rare but like butter. YUMMY!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindSouthgalVIPDined on 6/24/2014Right in the neighborhood, a great place for lunch. Generous portions of salad, willingly split prepared table side. Service was attentive but not annoying. We will certainly be back for another perfect experience.Special Features:
- Simply AmazingfandoxVIPDined on 6/23/2014I continue to be surprised by this steakhouse. I have been here at least 5 times and each time has been fantastic. Great food and service. I will be dining here again, SOON!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Not GreatDPlazDined on 6/21/2014Impeccable service; steaks need more seasoning and the cooking was a little uneven; side dishes a little small, deserts were very good; need a little better pour on the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible terribleSCOTTSMETSDined on 6/21/2014FOR ALL THE STEAK HOUSES I HAVE BEEN IN NYC THIS IS FAR THE WORST !!!! I WAS THEIR JUNE 21 ST WITH MY WIFE PRIOR TO SEEING BILLY JOEL THE FOOD DIDNT SEEM FRESH IT SEEMED IT WAS JUST HEATED UP THE STEAK WAS VERY DRY WITH NO TASTE .WE HAD NY STRIP THE APPETIZERS ONCE AGAIN SEEMED IT WAS PREPREPARED AND JUST HEATED UP WE HAD THE CRAB CAKE AND BAKED CLAMS THE ONLY TASTEFUL THINGS WERE CAESAR SALAD AND DESSERT . WE HAD THE DINNER FOR 2 . FOR 99.00
- First time was a charmSunshineVIPDined on 6/21/2014First time was a charm, definitely. Went with a groupon before concert at the Garden, and was very nicely surprised. The décor was terrific, service was terrific (even though they were very busy), food was even better. Can't wait to go again. Next trip to Garden, this will be our go to place to dinner. Enjoy everyone!Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedSoulcenterDined on 6/21/2014I was meeting friends before a concert at the Garden, and picked this restaurant based on OpenTable reviews. The interior is classic steak house with a nice bar, and the food was outstanding. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but the food was brilliantly prepared, and is definitely worth a shot.Special Features:
- Best steak of my lifeMichiganloverDined on 6/20/2014We learned about Uncle Jack's through watching Restaurant Stakeout. Willy definitely practices what he preaches. The food was fantastic - steak was absolutely incredible as were the sides. The *only* critique I have is the steamed broccoli was a little lackluster (i.e., not seasoned and not steamed quite enough), but still very good. The server was friendly, but not overly engaged with our table. We overheard a neighboring table complain to management about something they were served and it was handled extremely well by the server and manager.Special Features:
- perfect early dinnerjune192014Dined on 6/19/2014had 5pm reservations for two on thurs. place was quiet, service was excellent and food even better. will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CKELLYCHILEDined on 6/18/2014Wonderful experience, the food and service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014We are not sure if our servicer was rude because we had a Groupon....or if that is just his normal arrogance. The food was only so so. All our steaks were dry and overcooked. We had ordered medium well. But the meat was so dry and chewy. This place has the ability to be 5 star but our experience only gave them a 3 star rating.
- ALWAYS GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I HAVE BEEN GOING TO UNCLE JACKS FOR OVER 10 YEARS, 34TH ST IS MY FAVORITE ONE............. ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was amazing. Friendly staff. Loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great groupon dealSueWVIPDined on 6/13/2014Used a groupon to eat. Fantastic deal for a wonderful meal. Food was excellent, service was great. We were never made to feel "less deserving" because of the coupon. I like steak well done and often have a hard time getting it that way. The chef had no problem butter flying my filet and serving a perfectly well done steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good prime ribTravellerSgDined on 6/13/2014The prime rib was great. Quality of beef was very good and one of the best cuts I've had. However, it was a tad overdone and not quite medium rare like we asked for. Having said that, it still tasted really good. Service was mixed... one waiter was really really good and the other was pretty bad, so I'm glad the latter ignored us most of the night.Special Features:
- Fathers Day LunchMMEatsDined on 6/13/2014My son & I have an annual Father's Day lunch at a top ny steak house. This years stop was uncle jack's, and was not disappointed. Outstanding service, classy but not snotty; attentive but not annoying; helpful but not pushy. On to the food. Tomato & Mozz salad, the best I had. Mozz was so fresh, creamy and tasty. Shrimp cocktail were huge, meaty, fresh and delicious. Porterhouse steak for 2 cooked perfectly, came out sliced, hot and full of taste. Other then Luger's, steak as good as any top 10 I have been too. Steak fries and onion rings were also in a class by themselves, hot, crispy, perfectly salted. Was too full for desert, but A-1 from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 65th birthday at Uncle JacksFoodie47Dined on 6/11/2014Fans of Restaurant Stakeout we were interested in seeing if Willie's own restaurant stands up to the example he talks about on the show. I must say I was surprised and pleased that he is no B...S....! The service was highly professional and attentive but not intrusive and the food was excellent from appetizers to desert - a home run! We were at the 9th avenue location and the place was smaller than I expected and the entrance small and crowded and bar is adjacent to the dining area and can be quite noisy - but it was a Rangers playoff night. All in all, since we came for the dining experience, restaurants would be well advised to adopt his service and quality standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicekayveeDined on 6/8/2014The food was ok nothing really special. The best thing about the restaurant is the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2014Went to Uncle Jacks as my family loves steak. The steaks were OK--not great. Sides were not memorable. Salads were not good (ceasar salad was terrible) The crabcake appetizer was bready. Very expensive for "just ok" food. There are MANY better steakhouses in manhattan.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Treated like second class citizen for using a groupon. Waiter was beyond condescending and when we finally complained the "manager" didn't even take us seriously. The waiter/sommelier talked about us to other staff and the food was subpar and not cooked as ordered at all. Horrible, horrible, horrible.Special Features:
- Always a great steak!!!NewYorkLuVIPDined on 6/3/2014Willie keeps delivering! Meat is fantastic, service is great, Customer is King!! What else can I say? Only downside was too much maple syrup on the bacon app.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerJadeDined on 6/1/2014we vistied Uncle Jacks after seeing a fabulous play on broadway and uncle jacks added to my birthday celebration. The food, the service and the atmosphere was great. would def visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/1/2014At a recent brunch, my crab cake benedict was good, though nothing to rave about. My wife's steak and eggs, ordered medium rare and over, came with the steak overcooked and the eggs undercooked. She pointed out the well done meat to our suavely professional waiter, and he offered to bring her another. She declined, and the price of her meal was deducted from the check. We couldn't have asked for a better recovery -- but nothing about our meal makes us eager to return.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Dinner was great. Wonderful steaks. A bit pricey and everything was a la carte, but the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LgcsrqDined on 5/25/2014Thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. The server, meal and ambience was just a perfect way to end our visit to NYC! Thanks, LydiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A NYC Hidden GemKelliBobDined on 5/24/2014If you've been to all those national and interntional steak house chains, try Uncle Jacks. Same prime beef et al but in a smaller, more intimate atmosphere. Great service, wonderful setting. We go every time we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 963 reviews are from the Uncle Jack's Steakhouse - Westside 9th Avenue reviews archive.
- Excellent !cylvieDined on 5/18/2014Très bon steak house dans un cadre agréable et calme. Accueil et Service très bien avec un serveur parlant français ! A recommanderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is good, but the steak!Bella27Dined on 5/17/2014Westside location on May 17, 2014. The ambience and service was good. Appetizers: Kobe Meatballs-Fair, King Crab Legs-Fair, Wedge Salad-Excellent. Steak: Porterhouse for Two & 12 oz. Filet Mignon - Meat Quality was very poor, chewy and dry. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!
- Great Service - So So FoodNYCRockerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Although I absolutely LOVE the customer service at every Uncle Jacks steakhouse (where else do you have 4 people hovering over your table serving you food), but on par with other steak houses I would say the food "very good but no excellent". I took my wife to the 9th Ave. location for Mother's Day with our 3yr old daughter. The service was outstanding. However, I believe our the Porterhouse for two rested for far too long. It arrived barely lukewarm at best, and went cold far too quickly. I have had medium rare come to the table much hotter. Garlic mashed was OK as was the creamed spinach - but again they arrived only lukewarm at best. The restaurant was 1/4 full at best, so there is no reason the dishes should have not come out hot.Special Features: