Bistrot La Minette
623 South 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
South Street / Queen Village
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistrot La Minette
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrotlaminette.com/
- Phone: 2159258000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30 - 10:30 pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30am to 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Peter Woolsey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For more information or to reserve the private Salon, please contact Brad HISTAND.
- Private Party Contact: Brad Histand 8884454872
- Special Events: Keep an eye out for our special regional food and wine dinners. Every month Bistrot La Minette will choose a different region to celebrate. Each dinner is $35 for 4 courses. An optional $15 wine pairing is also available.
A word from Bistrot La Minette
Bistrot La Minette is the realization of Chef Peter Woolsey's dream that began a decade ago during his earliest days studying in France: to create a restaurant that would share his love of the authentic bistrot experience with his fellow Philadelphians. Chef Peter pays great respect to the traditional dishes that he creates and honors the classical French methods required to achieve unparalleled bistrot cuisine. Both savory and pastry menus are ever evolving to reflect the seasons, the availability of the best ingredients and the inspiration of the chef. They are drawn from the various regions of France and the multitude of delicacies that each has to offer. The service is both efficient and warm, rooted in a foundation of hospitality and caring for our guests. Our goal is for Bistrot La Minette to be accessible to all guests that enjoy superb food and wine, and the company of their companions: hoping to evoke their best memories-or dreams-of traditional French bistrot dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistrot La Minette - Best Restaurants in South Street / Queen Village ›
Bistrot La Minette reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (175)special occasion (148)neighborhood gem (142)romantic (134)notable wine list (90)great for outdoor dining (44)great for brunch (32)good for groups (23)great for lunch (10)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect eveningBonachickDined on 6/21/2014Lovely evening at Bistrot La Minette. Bartender Brett was excellent, hostess was very accommodating and we landed an outdoor deck table on a beautiful summer evening. Everything was delicious from apps to main course to dessert. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Love this placephillydinerDined on 6/21/2014Bistrot la Minette is a family favorite restaurant for us. The food is always delicious, service is great. The bread at the beginning is awesome too, I wish they sold it for purchase!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, EXCELLENT!nerofiddledDined on 6/20/2014Bistro La Minette never fails - at least they never have for me! It's probably my favorite restaurant next to New York's Gramercy Tavern (at a much lower price!). The service is great, the atmosphere is comfortable and relaxing, and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/16/2014Lovely place with authentic French bistro food and a great wine list with some affordable gems.Special Features:
- Fantastic serviceMEsterDined on 6/16/2014I dined alone at Bistrot La Minette and was waited on by Bret. He was by far one of the best servers I have ever had the pleasure to have serve me. He made thoughtful suggestions, helped me find a cell phone charger when I asked and didn't hover. The food was excellent as well. The surprise amuse bouche and chocolate truffle were a very pleasant and welcome surprise. As my first restaurant to visit in Philadelphia during a business trip, I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you for a memorable meal and a special thanks to Bret for the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So deliciousSjm2014Dined on 6/15/2014Every time I eat here it is fabulous! The service is impeccable. The green beans are to die for. This time I took my kids as it was a special occasion and they even loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Une nuit a la Bistro!MiddlebergDined on 6/14/2014We went for a Saturday night dinner. The room was exactly as promised on the internet; cozy, great look and well appointed. The food was absolutely top of the line. It is a touch pricey but worth every penny. It has been two days and we are still talking about every bite. We are looking forward to trying the brunch. On the other hand, the service while efficient and effective was also cold, to the point of being borderline unfriendly. To try and elicit a smile from anyone on the service staff was quite an undertakingI would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoritedeekayVIPDined on 6/14/2014Out of all the great restaurants in the Philly area, I think Bistrot La Minette is my favorite. The food is awesome, the service solid, and the ambiance comforting. To start we ordered the Pea & Parsley Soup and the Seared Scallops. The soup was vivid bright in flavor, and the scallops were cooked perfectly. For mains, we had the Braised Beef Short Rib and the Wine Braised Lamb. You can sense a lot of care in preparing each dish. We had a table outside on the front porch area. Apparently the courtyard is under renovation, but there is something to do with the lease. Once again I had an enjoyable meal here. Another cool thing is that the house wine, served in carafes, are not bad at all. Highly recommend Bistrot La Minette!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all 'roundmec54Dined on 6/14/2014Delicious food, great service, all in true French bistro style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of French cookingTortecavourDined on 6/9/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Never disappointed. Reminds me of country inns run by family in rural France. Love the bread and butter, the amuse bouche, chocolates at the end. Wait staff knowledgeable, attentive without being obsequious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyable experience.FoodRUsDined on 6/9/2014Well prepared, beautifully presented food. Superior to bistro experience in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatSW0608Dined on 6/8/2014great food and service. The food portion is pretty decent as well. We did not get the chance to order the desserts as we were so full after the first two courses. Will come back againSpecial Features:
- Amazing!ajmihalicDined on 6/7/2014The food here is unbelievably good, and the service is polite, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Meal, Wonderful WineFrenchfoodloverDined on 6/6/2014I went to dinner with a close friend and we enjoyed every course. The Ambience was terrific, the bread was fresh out of the oven, and the wine list was magnificent. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for quality French food in the Philadelphia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014First time visit. Excellent meal, attentive service, lovely room. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!CarolDined on 6/4/2014Absolutely Delicious. Can't wait to go again. Great Food! Great Service! A truly delightful dining experience.
- Felt like we were in FranceCabobob1Dined on 6/2/2014Wonderful food. Beautifully presented. Very attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014authentic bistro feel. Service was adequate but with attitude. I asked for some details about the chicken dish. Waitress answered in a way that didn't make sense to me and when I asked for clarification, she was unpleasant and arrogant. Set the tone for the rest of our interactions with her. (By the way, my guess about the dish was indeed correct. She was wrong.) In addition, chicken was far too salty (and I like salt). Same with the butter for the bread basket: much too salty. Short ribs were uninspired. Don't bother. That said, beef tartare was excellent, seared fois gras app was excellent. Wine list nice and reasonably-priced. Menu is authentic but would benefit from a steak-frites option. Restaurant is worth a try.Special Features:
- Ambience, service and foodpeggyVIPDined on 5/31/2014On the top of our list for the consistency displayed in all of the above. A special mention to service- those with food allergies/sensitivities are well served by Ed, who pays attention to all ingredients and can steer you away( quickly) from a food you cannot eat). Always delicious and consistent food. Conscientiously prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef is being shortchanged.StuntmanDined on 5/31/2014The food was succulent, perfectly prepared. That is why I say the chef is being shortchanged by others of the staff. My wife and I did not feel welcome, more like an interruption to hostess' and bartender's evening. Just because you are serving French food doesn't mean you have to act like French people. That being said, our waitress was pleasant enough and efficient. We will dine elsewhere in the future.
- a wonderful placeDixieDined on 5/29/2014Bistrot La Minette offers great food fully matched by wine. Everything ordered by our group of three was excellent - appetizers and main courses. The service was friendly, polite and efficient. Furthermore, when we were at the place earlier that our reservation time, we were seated without fuss; by this we were impressed, too. All in all, the French food at its best and excellent service is waiting for you at this place.Special Features:
- excellent cuisinemanfromnjDined on 5/25/2014Took partner for birthday dinner surprise, she was delighted by the authentic french menu especially paired with very fine wine from the regions of Europe. We met and spoke with the chef, which made our experience complete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPOT ON!BIGRED1VIPDined on 5/24/2014What a nice escape from the crazy South Street scene! Felt like I had been transported to another country once inside. Enjoyed a lovely bottle of champagne along with my foie gras, maybe the best I have ever had, and entree of rabbit. Service was excellent and very professional. My wife enjoyed a delicious salad along with a fish dish as her main. Desserts also are quite good .Have wanted to try this spot for a long time , glad we did, and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Perfect ExperienceSNPHDined on 5/24/2014The server was attentive, professional, and helpful. The food was excellent. Portions were just right and the unique flavors melded so well. I really appreciated the unique non-alcoholic beverages the server suggested when I mentioned we didn't drink alcohol, they were delicious. The gratin was so rich, yet light. The best gratin I've ever tasted. And, of course, the crème brûlée was beyond compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodRARRDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I have been coming here consistently since it opened in 2008, and have never been disappointed. Every dish is beautifully prepared and so delicious. My favorite appetizers are the salmon tartare, snails, foie gras and scallops. We have dined here to celebrate special occasions, and a few times gone with a larger group, which is an extra treat because there are more dishes to share! One of our favorite restaurants in Philadelphia...you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- The following 1523 reviews are from the Bistrot La Minette reviews archive.
- A French FindLainyDined on 5/20/2014Love this restaurant. We go on Xmas Eve and take friends thru the year. Authentic, food great, friendly, nice atmosphere. ONe of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French DiningjanstockDined on 5/20/2014Classically prepared , excellent French dishes. My husband and I are both chefs and have travelled to France on several occasions so this restaurant was a pleasant surprise. A generous portion of Escargot for an appetizer, Mustard -glazed rabbit and Navarin of Lamb were all delicious . Prices were pretty much what would be expected in a restaurant such as this and for food so beautifully presented and carefully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Great food (I had the rabbit - delicious!),Nice atmosphere, and very good service. I'd highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A neighborhood bistroDiningoutVIPDined on 5/17/2014Had good size portions of appetizers and entres. My mussels appetizer had good size mussels in a tasty wine sauce. Two in our group enjoyed the special sirloin steak with foi gras sauce and herb butter. My duck confit, however was rather dry and over cooked.Special Features:
- So glad it's in my neighborhood!EmmaDined on 5/17/2014The French bistro atmosphere was just what I was hoping for, right down to the unobtrusive jazz on the Muzak to the stamped tin decor and semi-open kitchen. I'm a lax vegetarian but even the meat dishes on the menu sounded delicious (and authentic French). I ordered trout (it's a vegetable - didn't you know?) which came with green beans and potatoes. There was lots of butter, so what was not to like? I noticed all around me the folks were ordering gnocchi, which was one of the few truly veg things available (and also the cheapest main dish). My daughter was one of the gnocchi eaters, and they were also good if not quite as inspired as the trout. Did I mention butter? Rice pudding and chocolate mousse cake were excellent desserts.Special Features:
- Fantastic in every way!Swp7722VIPDined on 5/17/2014The service was impeccable, the setting French Bistro fabulous, and the food wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:
- Intimate, delicious meal!phillyemilyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Bistrot La Minette was absolutely fabulous! We sat outside, which was very romantic and made conversation easy. Everything we ordered was delicious, but some menu standouts were the beef tartar and scallops appetizers, a special of seared fois gras, and the duck leg entree. The house-made bread is also fabulous. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food fabulousnessDeeDee09Dined on 5/16/2014If you are looking for a wonderful evening with a romantic ambience, excellent service and the best bread in town, look no further. Bistrot La Minette has got it all,especially delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findFoodieDined on 5/16/2014Found this place on the web while looking for a French restaurant and found a place to tell others about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wallly63VIPDined on 5/14/2014I have had dinner here a number of times but this time I brough two people whom have never dined here. Everyone loved their meals. We also tasted one anothers dinners so I was able to sample six dishes instead of 2. The appetizers were amazing; my favorite is the mussels and poached egg dish but the puff pastry and mushrooms was also outstanding. I had the gnocchi which is relatively new to the menu and it was delicious. The short ribs were melt in your mouth good and the chix dish is a great stand by. We shared dessert--a chocolate cake that was terrific.Special Features:
- Always excellentjacintVIPDined on 5/11/2014A regular for special occasions, the trout on this visit was memorable - even rated highly by an 18 year old who "doesn't eat fish".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- true French Bistro w/ vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014my wife and I love this place. as a vegetarian I usually avoid French restaurants, but they always make a point of having several choices. the food is so good and it feels like a real French bistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time aroundSJSPECVIPDined on 5/11/2014This was my second time dining at Bistrot La Minette. The first was last December, when my husband and I had a delightful meal. This time was Mother's Day, and we started out just fine with our appetizers, salad for my Mom and escargot (could have been hotter) for me, however our main courses were a huge disappointment. My Mom ordered the gnocchi and I ordered the duck confit. Her plate looked totally unappetizing, and like the old joke, not much there. Sad that was considered a dinner portion. My duck was overcooked, so while the skin was nice and crispy, the meat was hard throughout. My Mom sent her plate back, which was an awkward and uncomfortable experience. I decided to keep my duck and just chalk it up that I would not be returning.
- Authentic Bistrot ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Bistrot La Minette does a very good job of recreating a French bistrot experience. They serve classic French dishes which are well executed and nicely presented. The waiters provide just the right level of attentiveness and are dressed neatly in vests and ties. My dinner guests and I have visited France many times and thought the experience hit the right note of authenticity without verging into parody. We enjoyed each of the courses which are right sized. The trout in particular got rave reviews.Special Features:
- Dessert!!!DannyDined on 5/10/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday and had included that in the notes of our reservation. We were seated promptly upon arrival. Our server seemed busy with a few other tables so we waited about 5-10 minutes to give a drink order and another 10 minutes to place our dinner orders. Not a big deal as we were in no rush. But I could see that being annoying if we had after dinner plans. The bread was fantastic. We had the escargot, lamb stew, roasted chicken and Mac & cheese all of which were excellent. The clear highlight for us was the dessert. The creme brûlée and chocolate mousse cake were amazing. I could've easily skipped the entree just to have room to finish the dessert. Overall a nice experience. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.