Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
640 Water Works Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waterworksrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2152369000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday:5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for details.
- Special Events: The Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is the perfect venue for special events of all kinds! This historic landmark offers unique options for both indoor and outdoor affairs of all sizes. Please email email@example.com for more information
A word from Water Works Restaurant & Lounge
Nestled on the banks of the Schuylkill River, the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge is Philadelphia’s Landmark Dining Experience. Built in 1812, the Fairmount Water Works was an engineering and architectural marvel, pumping fresh water for Philadelphians until 1860. Today, this National Historic Landmark is home to world-class cuisine, impeccable service and the magical dining experience that is the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge. Dine beneath the high barrel-vaulted ceiling of the Engine House or the glass enclosed Solarium boasting the most spectacular views in town. Relax with intimate dining in the Breezeway and cocktails in the Caretaker's Lounge. Our outdoor terrace and riverside veranda offer Philly’s best outdoor dining experience. Saveur Magazine proclaimed the Water Works as “One of the Top 100 Dining Experiences in the World.” Experience the Water Works Restaurant and Lounge and discover that this enchanting place that once made history now makes unforgettable memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Art Museum ›
Water Works Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (118)great for outdoor dining (114)special occasion (72)romantic (72)great for brunch (42)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (18)hot spot (9)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fair diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Awful sound and smell of trucks,cars, buses and trains, and patrons. Shabby chic environment.
- A terrible experienceDisappointedDined on 7/5/2014It was a special birthday celebration but Water Works most definitely did not live up to occasion. The service was absolutely atrocious, which made the mediocre food feel that much mediocre. As a high-end restaurant, one would think that Water Works would have commensurate service but the experience was absolutely insulting to the patron. Too many other restaurants in Philadelphia who appreciates their customer base and will make the experience memorable.Special Features:
- Almost perfect...but bad startluvtoeatoutDined on 7/5/2014The food was good and we ate outdoors with a wonderful view of the river. I had read their website which states there is free valet parking but also self parking. We came to the circle which said Valet only so we continued to the next parking lot closer to the restaurant. A nice young man then chased us down as we walked to the restaurant. He explained we had parked in the valet. I said where is the self parking? He said it was the circle area. I told him it also said valet only. He agreed and said the sign is confusing. I think if he agreed that the sign at the circle is wrong then he should not have demanded our keys. I am sure he is just doing what he is told so I blame management. CHANGE YOUR WEBSITE OR CHANGE YOUR SIGNS!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch spotPhillyLoveDined on 6/29/2014I was in town on a date and Waterworks provided great food,ambience and an overall great brunch experience. Will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMagsDined on 6/29/2014View was amazing but wasn't impressed with the brunch food. There was variety but it seemed like a limited variety and most of it pre-made or brought in. So helpful that they had complimentary valet...very convenient. The champagne included was a bonus and we really enjoyed that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerJohnSDined on 6/28/2014My wife of 44 years always try to celebrate our anniversary at the Waterworks Restaurant. For the past couple of years the restaurant was closed for either a wedding of special event. We were happy to spend this anniversary there. My wife has the Shrimp Cocktail and the Salmon. I had the Caesar Salad and the Tuna Special. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFoodie2Dined on 6/28/2014This was my first time dining at the Waterworks. The experience was excellent. We sat on the deck with a great view of the sunset glistening off of the water. The food was good, service was excellent. I would definitely go again. Also, the reservations were so easy to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum!wsogmpDined on 6/28/2014Highly recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a great dish and scenic views. Already looking forward to visiting again:)Special Features:
- DisappointingDinoDined on 6/26/2014Bread so hard it was in edible. Had to send back plates because dirty. Birthday "surprise" arrived in the middle of dinner. Cosmopolitan too sweet to drink. Spoke to manager who promised to get back to us but have not heard anything as of two days later. Will not return.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencespecialdineDined on 6/26/2014We had a birthday occasion. Wonderfully done. Waiters were friendly and very service oriented. Food was wonderful. I must also mention that I loved the water glasses' thin rim, much more elegant than thick type. The wonderful scene with a lovely breeze was outstanding. JpSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionSatisfiedDined on 6/25/2014Due to the high prices, we would highly recommend Water Works for a special occasion. It was steamy outside, so we opted to eat indoors, however, the door was open to the outside so it was not as comfortable as we would have preferred. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightBillAnnaDined on 6/22/2014We had heard about the restaurant from a friend. What a great place, great food, great view and our waiter Joe, he did a wonderful job. Can't wait to go back. Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picture PerfectFrequentDinerDined on 6/22/2014While the view is fantastic (of the river and Boathouse Row), the faces of those who have just eaten (and perhaps had a drink or two) say it all. There are usually smiles all around . . . and loosened belts. The service is fantastic and every effort is made to assure more than satisfied customers. The prices are very reasonable and free valet parking for Sunday brunch make it a "can't lose". I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Lovely evening, food and settingLindaVIPDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had gone to the Cezanne Preview at the Barnes and wanted to continue the evening with dinner. It was a beautiful clear warm night. I was able through Open Table to get reservations for after the Preview at the Waterworks at an terrace table. We had a view looking down the river. We started with sharing the grilled octopus appetizer. I had the duck and my husband the filet mignon. Mine was slightly overdone, my husband asked for Pittsburgh rare. It came rare, but not charred. They forgot to bring his spinach side dish. We ordered a Ripasso. The waiter spilled some while serving it. The food was still delicious and the evening still delightful. The bill did come close to $200 including tip.Special Features:
- Nice but may not be worth the priceBuddingFoodieDined on 6/20/2014My finance' and I enjoyed our dinner at Water Works, we had a quiet dinner outside with a great view of Boathouse Row. However, the service left something to be desired (and as a server myself, I think that says something), and the food while good tasted like it needed some more seasoning. The lobster ravioli was fabulous, but I don't think I would recommend the seared duck breast, it was a little rubbery. All in all it was an okay experience. Had the service been a bit better, I would have bumped the rating up to four stars. Great romantic atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Food presentation was nice, but salmon was bland, needed more favorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible foodcoconutDined on 6/19/2014Yes the location and ambience cannot be beat. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food ranged from unedible to poorly presented and served cold. Worst of all no one on management level inquired about our returned food or did anything to apologize or compensate. It is $$$$ so beware and don't order the lobster ravioli.Special Features:
- Ambience and cuisine supremeDinenjoyDined on 6/18/2014A total pleasure! Relax and enjoy a breathtaking sunset, excellent service and fine dining. Repeat patrons and will enjoy the Waterworks again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The staff was extremely accommodating. We had been set up outside (at the most wonderful table on the patio) but were too hot from touring Philly all day in 95 degree heat to sit there. They quickly set a table for 9 inside and sat us there. Very, very nice. It was done gracefully and with no attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite of ours!AnniVIPDined on 6/18/2014There is nothing like a sunset in the City from the WaterWorks Restaurant! It's beautiful. Food, service, ambience, all excellent!Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014You can't beat the location for the view. Nice to walk around before or after your meal. Food was very good, not spectacular. Oysters were excellent as appetizer. My son's vegetable spring rolls were fairly bland with too much doughy wrapping. Lamb porterhouse was excellent as was the creamy orzo and asparagus accompaniment. My wife's striped bass was very good as well. Desserts were hit or miss. Coconut panacotta had too much gelatin in it so it was rubbery, though the roasted pineapple under it was quite tasty. Mini key lime tarts were very good. Service was excellent, attentive but not obtrusive. We were outside which was noisier than inside due to the sounds of the river's falls and traffic, but you become acclimated to it and adjust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchStyleDined on 6/15/2014This is a great restaurant to go for brunch. Do not go towards the end of the brunch hours as some food items run out and are not replaced.Special Features:
- I will definitely be returning!!!2ThumbsDined on 6/13/2014This was my 1st visit to this restaurant and it was a wonderful experience. I was running late for my eeservations and called and was able to reschedule. Unfortunately I ran a little behind on my rescheduled time but they still seated us. And seated us outside which was our preference. The view was beautiful. They staff was very professional. And it was just an all around good experience. I will definitely be returning and recommending to others!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedNay3sonsVIPDined on 6/12/2014I went on a Thursday night so you would think the restaurant would be getting ready for the weekend crowd. However, the menu had items that were no longer available or the restaurant was out of, my food was not hot and the lobster ravioli reminded me or baby food with lobster pieces the size of bacon bits. Dinner was a disappointment for a birthday celebration. I went, I ate, and I never have to go back.Special Features:
- Dinnergfitz10Dined on 6/12/2014It was my brothers birthday and we wanted to take him somewhere special. He had the lobster ravioli and it appeared to be uncooked, cold and had no taste! Everyone else's meal was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GWENDined on 6/10/2014Former Philadelphian .Visiting Phila after living on the West Coast for 50 years Great restaurant.Great food.Woderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but mediocre foodfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014The view is terrific but the food is mediocre with the exception of the lamb porterhouse - a unique menu item. Perhaps the lunch /brunch are better.Special Features:
- A gemjune72014Dined on 6/7/2014For city dining its a unique spot. Historic, scenic and great food. We were there for a special occasion and the waiter played right into this a made us feel so comfortable. Staff was very friendly, place was clean, atmosphere elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely lunchSteveDined on 6/7/2014I was treated to a wonderful, quiet birthdat lunch, then a trip to an art museum. A great meal and beautiful location. Submitted by PamSpecial Features:
- Beautiful place, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014My husband took me for my birthday. I LOVED the style and the especially the outdoor area. There's such a wonderful view! I just wish the food matched up. The shrimp was very meaty. The lobster ravioli was a little odd for my taste. My husband had the pork chop and though it was ok. And it was a little disappointing that a few of the menu items we were considering we're available. I would return again for the ambiance and décor alone. And of course try something different on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the viewK8partyDined on 6/6/2014We had a table overlooking the Schuylkill and the Waterworks, and the weather was gorgeous. The maitre d' was very attentive and the service was very good. Food was original and fresh. Nice wine list.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodieGirlDined on 6/5/2014My mom loves the view @WaterWorks, so I brought her for her bday. We had no choice but to pay $10 for valet parking(never had to before). Wanted a drink at the bar before sitting but bartender refused us because "we weren't with fundraiser" Server, Cailen, very nice and charismatic. Service was slow nonetheless. Drinks took forever. My mother ordered filet rare and got it well done. We sent it back reluctantly and everyone's plate was clean before she got hers. Manager made sure it was correct the 2nd time. Yet we still had to pay for it. Then the dessert she ordered was 86ed but our server found her one& that was removed from bill. Experience was a tad frustrating but we don't blame the server. We blame the kitchen poor bartendingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatJerseyGirlVIPDined on 6/4/2014We love good food, good service, and an ambient location. The Water Works has it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2093 reviews are from the Water Works Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- BunkDined on 5/30/2014Dinner was good. Great view. Service was good. I'd like to go back for brunch. Very nice spot, definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, mediocre foodEandJDined on 5/30/2014We were so disappointed in our experience at Water Works! Our server was friendly but seemed to forget about us regularly. It took 30 minutes for him to deliver our check after we declined dessert. And then we still had to ask for the check. The food was bland and presentation totally lacked creativity. The whole experience just felt LAZY. To top it off, the bathrooms (we both went so saw men's and women's) were gross and clearly had not been cleaned in a long time. Trash on the floors and generally dirty and gross. I wouldn't go back, especially for the price. The terrible service was really disappointing, but the view and ambience saved the experience somewhat. Overall just mediocre.Special Features:
- Engagement celebrationkitkatDined on 5/29/2014What a view!! Great food and everyone was so warm and welcoming. There were 4 of us which was just perfect to sit at a table facing the water and the dam. We had the salmon, the filet and the pork chop. All delicious. Veggies are a bit high ($9)but served family style and there was plenty in each dish for the 4 of us to share. Desserts were really good, too. I got the rice pudding but it was made up to look like sushi and served with chop sticks and a sauce. Yum. We will definitely go back. When we were leaving, we asked the parking valet to take our pic and he graciously suggested we move to the best background spot. He managed to get us, the lighted boathouses, the zoo balloon and the water view all in the pic. A magical night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealmjwpDined on 5/28/2014We had a great meal after a visit to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The menu was varied, and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Water Works RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/22/2014Positives-quality of food served, pleasant atmosphere looking out on Schuykill and boat houses. Negatives-traffic noise from expressway (1:00 in the afternoon), they didn't have a staple from menu that 3 of the 4 of us wanted, and service. They didn't have the turkey burger. However, the beef burger was very good and large. The most negative aspect of this place was the service. While the owner or maitre d (not sure who) and greeters were welcoming and checked to see that we were happy, our waitress was dour, a bit unkempt, and definitely not up to the standards of this restaurant. The restaurant was not busy, yet we waited an interminably long time for our food. Basically, I would give it a second try for the food and view, but that's it.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceHappyeaterDined on 5/19/2014It took 35 minutes for our waiter to get to us. Said he had another big table. Not our problem!
- Needs helpFoodiebuDined on 5/19/2014Water works could be a beautiful vibrant restaurant but is in need of a makeover.