193 Gore Creek Dr.
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sweetbasil-vail.com/
- Phone: 9704760125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Anders
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Ferraro 9704760125
- Special Events: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
A word from Sweet Basil
Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating "bistro-like" energy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sweet Basil - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Sweet Basil reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)special occasion (108)notable wine list (93)great for outdoor dining (89)scenic view (88)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (53)great for lunch (50)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (21)great for brunch (16)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Excellent find!FoodieDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed our wonderful dinner at Sweet Basil! As a Florida resident, we are pretty picky seafood diners. Our halibut was perfect! Our rib eye was fork tender. We will dine at Sweet Basil again, maybe every night we stay in Vail! At least share a toffee pudding with the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- value not what I expectPatoDined on 7/31/2014Place is nice and food is ok but very expensive for what you get but it's Vail! you pay like a 1 michelin star and it's far from that in service and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dine at SB!AubbieVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have been visiting Vail for 20+ years and SB is always on our dining list. The food is always good and service is nice. That being said, we all had cocktails and while my husband was just starting to sip his, the waiter brought his glass of wine. So then the wine was warm until the entree was served. Also, a longer than necessary wait for our entrees but we did receive dessert on the house due to that so that was very nice. We will be back.Special Features:
- Simply outstandingColoKidDined on 7/29/2014The food, wine and service were all outstanding. The menu did not show any vegetarian options, so we were initially very disappointed. However, when we inquired our server asked us our taste preferences and the chef created entrees respecting those preferences. Both entrees were absolutely fantastic. It turned out to be a far better dining experience than we ever imagined. I'd highly recommend Sweet Basil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Basil always a special treatBeardiesRuleVIPDined on 7/28/2014For many years we have made a point of dining at Sweet Basil every time we are in Vail. It is such a special dining experience and the food is always interesting, delicious and beautifully presented. We both enjoyed superb Caesar salads with anchovies (the real thing...not the salty canned version). I had a delightful halibut dinner and my husband savored his lamb T-bones. We shared a desert... a sinfully delicious coconut medley. Can't wait to go back for more in December. Do NOT miss this wonderful restaurant. Buy the cookbook to gain an appreciation for the amount of work the goes into the preparation of their wonderful dishes.Special Features:
- WonderfulTonyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Better than ever. Delicious Colorado lamb t-bones and oven roasted monkfish. Don't miss the sticky pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceNancyDined on 7/27/2014Everything about the experience was wonderful. The atmosphere, wait staff, food. In addition, it was served in a relaxed style - never felt "pushed".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wine list in VaildlmsDined on 7/27/2014If you can make your way through the faux that is too much of Vail, a genuinely excellent, original dining experience awaits at Sweet Basil. Menu is focused (at least for brunch the choices are not extensive) and internationally inspired. One of the most amazing wine lists in the west, strongly weighted towards whites, of which French varietals make up the top selections. Tasty appetizers and good vegetarian options. Seating away from the windows is more comfortable and intimate. Service is a bit too prompt but quite professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in Vail!AggiemomVIPDined on 7/25/2014Before our Vail vacation, I read reviews on many of the fine restaurants in the mountain area. We had two couples as guests, so I felt the responsibility to find some really nice restaurants to eat while visiting for a week. Sweet Basil had wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and did not disappoint us. We arrived very tired and stressed after a long drive from Denver to Vail in horrible traffic, rushed to the restaurant and finally were able to relax and enjoy the beginning of our vacation. We were welcomed very nicely, seated in a nice booth and had very friendly wait staff. The dinner was fabulous and just the perfect small portion as my husband & I were able to split a salad and entrée. I would highly recommend Sweet Basil!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet!KimmieDined on 7/25/2014Had a great lunch & would definitely return. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been betterSrgnVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a recent dinner for two. Appetizers of tomato bisque was very good, tomato salad was just that, with minimal amount if the cheese described on menu. Main of steak was ok. Relatively small steak, somewhat fatty. Good accompaniments. Wife's trout very nice. Service good, not great. All in all a good but not great meal especially considering heafty tab.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet BasilWeLoveVailVIPDined on 7/24/2014Sweet Basil remains the best of the best! Absolutely unbeatable.Special Features:
- Great restaurantDenWPVIPDined on 7/24/2014This is a wonderful restaurant & has been for years. It's worth every penny, but I have one complaint: the servers need more training & coaching. They are often arrogant and/or incompetent. It is a shame to have such a dining experience & have to put up with poor or mediocre service.Special Features:
- Sweet Basil still great!ColleenDined on 7/21/2014Although we could only get a 5:30 reservation Sweet Basil was busy. The service was quite good, but they did mix up our first course. After that they were flawless. The view of Gore Creek was very pleasant. Very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- !0 minutes wait at tableEdibleRompsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great food and ambiance. But we waited 10 minutes at our table before a waiter arrived.Special Features:
- Another Outstanding MealwgwghwVIPDined on 7/20/2014We were here 3 weeks ago and gave the restaurant outstanding reviews. Nothing changed this time except to rave about the Halibut, Chicken Breast, Duck, and Roasted Beets salad. Another Outstanding Meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic all aroundInJoyDined on 7/20/2014Everything at Sweet Basil was fantastic. Food, service, atmosphere - we enjoyed every minute of our experience. They were offering a special that evening - a Halibut Ceviche. It was fantastic and I hope for all future diners it becomes a regular on the menu.Special Features:
- Delicious from start to finishUpperlakealaska69Dined on 7/17/2014Loved the food and service - can't go wrong here! Easy to book on opentable.com for lunch. Plan ahead on busy symphony nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner. The food was amazing and the entire experience was great. Our server was very knowledgable and helpful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsLuvnfoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014After 25 years, we have never been disappointed. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Our appetizers were truly extraordinary. We had a wonderful evening at Sweet Basil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality with one drawbackMarianVIPDined on 7/11/2014Busy, noisy spot providing superb food with exemplary service. Food is innovative and of the highest quality. Not good for intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Basil again. And again.foodfreakDined on 7/11/2014I have said for years that Sweet Basil is my favorite non-NYC restaurant, and I still say it. The past few years have seen some changes in the physical plant, all seemingly for the better, and in personnel, resulting in the loss of some fine staff members, but the present staff still functions like the proverbial well-oiled machine. My dinner started with a wonderfully constructed Manhattan, followed by the best steak tartar I have ever eaten, accompanied by a delicious glass of Leviathan cabernet. The rack of Colorado lamb, about as good as a rack of lamb should be permitted to be, was cooked to a degree of doneness just beyond that of the tartar! I opted out of dessert. A cup of coffee was all I needed. If I didn't say so, I liked it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening with daughter.liveyourdreamDined on 7/11/2014My daughter and I went for a early dinner and had a wonderful experience. Making a reservation is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the hype, I was disappointedSolidperformerVIPDined on 7/11/2014We arrived about 5 mins after scheduled reservation (parking is far from restaurant and we were not aware of that), she had an attitude, and we had to wait 15 mins for a table in a restaurant half filled. Guests without reservations were seated before us. Waiter followed poor service trend and was too eager to get his tip from the table next to us to give us water, menus, or take a drink order. It was about 15 mins before we gave our drink order. WE played it off thinking he was having a bad day. His mood continued down hill and his service the same until - surprisingly - he had to present the bill. Salads were over dressed, salmon dry and lettuce looked a week old. Very disappointed after hearing so many great things about this place.
- Always a good choiceDelightedpatronsVIPDined on 7/11/2014Sweet Basil is always consistent, delicious and vibrant. A must stop while in Vail.Special Features:
- Lively place with characterAnitaVIPDined on 7/10/2014Very good service, with knowledgeable servers. An exceptionally good Cesar salad. Fresh tasty halibut and a great ahi tuna with an interesting preparation in a nicoise style. The deserts were good, but the portion of icecream in the coconut pannacota was far too minuscule. Would recommend the restaurant as I would recommend the sister venue, the Mountain Standard, which is excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time favoriteRustyDined on 7/5/2014Even after 40 years, the food and service here is always amazing and never disappoints, and it is still hard to get a reservation. Book early for weekends and holidays! Sit outside in the summer and enjoy the view.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!!!HaleighDined on 7/5/2014Their soups are always superb, as well as their Caesar's salad.Special Features:
- Sweet Basil - Vail's gem!MollyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Sweet Basil is the one restaurant in Vail that I always recommend! It never disappoints my friends and family.Special Features:
- A great choice always!MaryDined on 7/4/2014The trout on the lunch menu is to die for; I recommend it highly. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. Great location for outdoor dining either on the creek side or on the Vail Village shop side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining on the 4thHowieDined on 7/4/2014We've be coming to Vail, CO on July 4th for about 30 years. For more than 10 years we always have lunch at Sweet Basil. Great atmosphere, excellent food, terrific menu and impeccable service. And what a location to view the crowds on the 4th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014food was great, view was beautiful! highly recommend! waiter was a wealth of great advice and food descriptions, but could have been a little more attentive to the water glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we are here!!Socialbugger1Dined on 7/2/2014This restaurant was phenomenal! So good! I had the lamb and my husband had the ribeye. Both were cooked perfectly and full of flavor. We also had the toffee pudding cake. Yum!! I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Pleased!wellpleasedDined on 7/1/2014We were well pleased with the food and service provided at Sweet Basil, and we would certainly visit this restaurant again on our next trip to Vail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING DINING EXPERIENCEwgwghwVIPDined on 6/29/2014We ate here after one of the concerts at the Ford Amphitheater. We were a bit early for our reservation, but we were seated promptly at a great table on the balcony overlooking the main drag through Vail Village. It was great for people watching...but, on to the meal. Charlie was our waiter and more than outstanding. We need a 6th or 7th star to rate the service. His assistance with the menu and ordering was the best we have experienced. We ended with Crab Bisque (to die for), the pork and the Colorado lamb. The chocolate dessert was more than to die for. This was a great dining experience in all respects. We can't wait to return in a couple of weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent wineMCatsVIPDined on 6/29/2014We selected Sweet Basil to celebrate the 45th wedding anniversary of two friends. When we had to add one person to the reservation, Cathy was very accommodating. And we were given a lovely round table for five persons. The service began a bit slow, and the champagne I selected was not chilled. However, we said that we would wait. Ben, the sommelier, was excellent, though, and was able to chill the champagne, which was excellent. Ben also recommended a superb red Rhone wine to accompany our dinner. We had several starters -- crab lemongrass bisque, smoked trout, and foie gras terrine, all superb. The two mains of ribeye and Colorado lamb were both excellent. The toffee pudding dessert was delicious. I highly recommend Sweet Basil!!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Dined both lunch & dinner. Fabulous food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cgianel1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Great date spot in Vail. It is more on the side of fine dining but all food selections we're delicious! Get the steak taretareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/27/2014There are few restaurants is the Vail Valley that are consistent good in all experience attributes. Sweet Basil is the best.Special Features:
- Best food in Vail.gbosDined on 6/27/2014Lamb and duck were perfectly cooked and incredibly flavorful. Apps and dessert were terrific. Cocktails were refreshing and tasty. Our server Tom was very attentive and a gentleman.Special Features: