27 Mine Brook Rd. (Route 202)
Bernardsville, NJ 07924Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardsinn.com/
- Phone: 9087660002x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Breakfast: Mon - Fri 6:30am - 10:00am, Sat 8:00am-11:00am
Sunday A La Carte Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Dinner: Friday, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Corey W. Heyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offsite catering department.
- Private Party Facilities: Three intimate private rooms with 160 person capacity along with a ballroom with 175 person capacity.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Schleimer 8776775343
- Entertainment: Live Piano Music Tuesday through Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Yappy Hour-Mondays during the summer on the Terrace. Bring your dog for special treats and 1/2 price first drink for you.
A word from Bernards Inn
Two magnificent dining rooms and a warm clubby bar with Jazz Pianists are apt settings for the outstanding American cuisine of Chef Corey Heyer. The impressive wine cellar with selections from all over the world encompasses over 1,500 different labels. A six course tasting menu is available with or without wine pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Bernards Inn - Best Restaurants in Bernardsville ›
Bernards Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (61)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (36)great for outdoor dining (27)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (17)vibrant bar scene (17)good for groups (12)hot spot (6)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Gift to pleasemeMEDined on 12/18/2013This was a gift to my husband for his birthday. Read a lot of reviews that it is very pricy, but it is not any more than other fine dining restaurants. The service and the attention to your reaction to the food is very nice, as most restaurants are not that attentive. The piano music was great and relaxing. The food was very nicely prepared, tasty and creative. You were not rushed! The only issue we had was a group of gentlemen and one woman as one particular man was extremly loud and that does interfer with dining and he was across the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A spectacular dinnerFPP1Dined on 12/15/2013The Inn is particularly beautiful this time of year. The specialty cocktails, exceptional food and terrific wine list all contributed to a memorable evening. The Staff are all very professional. The Bernards Inn is one of the best places to go if you want to have a first class experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013It is a beautiful restaurant with a piano player and extremely friendly waitstaff. The food is delicious and the scene can be romantic at the tables and fun at the bar. I recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is one of my favorite places to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Disappointmgp403Dined on 12/7/2013The Bernard's Inn delivers a great dining experience. Great service, great food and a wonderful ambiance complete with piano player. A little on the pricey side, but well worth the special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/7/2013The food and service are usually impeccable. Most of the evening fit this bill but they disappointed in 2 areas. First I have an allergy to alcohol which I told my waiter and he was able to modify one of the sauces. Great. However less than 2 minutes later they bring an amuse which is a cauliflower soup with "bourbon" . Secondly they need to learn how to make a decaf cappuccino or not offer it.Special Features:
- Elegant and RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/2/2013I took my boyfriend to the Bernardsville Inn as a surprise and it was perfect. The wait staff was very accommodating and attentive, and even put us in a remote section of the restaurant for privacy without asking. It was a very memorable evening and that is largely impart to the venue. I strongly recommend this restaurant for special occasions and/or romantic affairs. I would suggest dressing a bit nicer, as the ambiance conveys class and elegance. The food is amazing and, though a bit pricey, it is definitely worth it. The portions are good and the presentation is wonderful. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated wonderfully....MB22Dined on 11/30/2013My husband and I celebrated our birthdays. We had drinks at the bar at first, and was never rushed. Very relaxing before the dinner and a lively bar crowd. Great live piano. We were seated in the bar side by the windows at a very cozy table - it was nice to still be able to enjoy the piano music. We opted for the tasting menu with first tier wine pairings. Every course was outstanding. I never thought Brussels sprouts could taste so amazing! Lovely dessert for both of us with candles for our birthdays and ballotins of chocolate to take home. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/29/2013Always a great dining experience in upscale but relaxed surroundings. Sommelier/wine director Terri Baldwin is an absolute gem: knowledgeable, friendly, helpful... and she NEVER tries to up-sell. Had pork belly, roast suckling pig and pheasant roulade on our most recent visit: all of it was prepared, plated and served to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patience required for Holidays!YogiBooDined on 11/28/2013Requested a quiet table for 2, and repeated my request when my my reservation was reconfirmed. Was very surprised when the Maitre'd seated a family of six next to ours halfway through the meal; four adults, and two children, 7 and 2. The 7 year old whined about the menu; the 2 year old wantered freely through the dining area, at one point tossing his pacifier and taking the sugar bowl off our table. The mother was oblivious, preferring to use her tablet to shop! We did not complain; we were ready for dessert when the table for 6 was seated; we finished our meal and left. The Maitre'd did nothing. Somehow, I had come to expect more of Bernards Inn. I will return; if I return on a holiday, I will remember to be very patient!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in NJGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 11/28/2013Bernards Inn remains one of the standards of the culinary scene in NJ. It is hard not to consistently rate it in the top 5 restaurants. The food, service, ambiance and setting come together to create a memorable overall dining experience. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanksgiving. one of bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/28/2013thanksgiving. one of best meals ever. just outstanding and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous but prepare to spend!JerryTheKVIPDined on 11/23/2013As expected, our dinner Saturday at the Bernards Inn was exceptional in every way. I had the short ribs, my date the scallops. The short ribs fell apart with my fork. They were prepared with a slightly peppery barbecue sauce. I had the butternut squash soup as well. We split an 18 layer chocolate cake topped with a scoop of pistachio ice cream which was out of this world. We had a phenomenal 2008 Barde-Haut St. Emilion with our dinner which was decanted perfectly and started out great and only got better as the night progressed. This was *not* an inexpensive dinner. Very high end but you get what you pay for! We will be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic. My tuna sashimiJackVIPDined on 11/23/2013Fantastic. My tuna sashimi appetizer was the best I have ever eaten. Lamb shank was equally magnificent. My wife 's squash soup was superb and the poached chicken was extraordinary . It had been a long time since our last visit. The next time will be much sooner .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dignified and Quiet DiningF3ntonDined on 11/22/2013While the bar area is joyfully exuberant, the dining room is quiet and dignified. The service is friendly and extremely competent...none of that "hi guys, what can I getcha?" that is the standard in New Jersey. We go there for special occasions because it feels special and the menu is always changing depending on the season and the market. I love the tasting menu and I can always anticipate something on the menu that I've never eaten before. This time every dish was new to me and everything but dessert was wonderful. Each course was delicious, served with care. Each was presented beautifully. Dessert was three times the size of any of the courses and extremely sweet except for the sherbet or ice cream (I couldn't figure out what it was).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceMsLoraxDined on 11/15/2013If you're looking for top service, excellent food and wine, The Bernards Inn will never disappoint. High end, without being snobbish, they always make us feel welcome and comfortable. Always worth the price, great for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall satisfatory thou kindwineloverDined on 11/14/2013overall satisfatory thou kind of pricey. pluckerman inn comparable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is perfectPal1Dined on 11/9/2013This restaurant is perfect for special occasions! Everything we ate was delicious. The only criticism was that two of the entrees were not hot enough , but that did not stop us from cleaning our plates. Be aware that the quality comes with a price. We did not go over board, but our bill was still $200 per couple with gratuities. We'll definitely return for another celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceHappyGourmetDined on 11/2/2013Arrived on time for our 24th Wedding Anniversary, were seated at a quiet table in the formal dining area, as requested. Waiter was attentive but not intrusive, the sommelier stopped by to ask if we had questions about our wine selection, and offered some background on the nice Pinot Noir we selected. Reviewed the wine list prior to arrival, as the 1,500 selections are a bit overwhelming. A waiter stopped by to offer a selection of fresh breads, and our primary waiter arrived with a taste of rutabaga and creme-fraiche soup the chef was experimenting with. Appetizers and entrees were unique and flawless. The waiter had a few nice surprises to top off our special occasion, the Bernards Inn is a top choice if you are celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just a tad offLetsEatDined on 11/1/2013This was our first time to The Bernards Inn. Overall, my wife and I have a very enjoyable evening. The service and ambience were outstanding, as were the desserts. I ordered the local scallops, which had a very good flavor, but was surprised to find that almost every one of them were gritty. We did decide that we would try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good both appetizerLisaLCFDined on 10/30/2013The food was good both appetizer and main course. Where it lacked considering the reputation of Bernards Inn was follow up at the tables. We waited a long time to catch a waiter's eye to ask for black pepper on our Chicken Salad plate, that should have been offered immediately when served. The small extra attention and follow-up at the table was lacking.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchLillyDined on 10/27/2013We loved everything about this restaurant. We all had lobster bisque which was wonderful. I chose the lobster pot pie, which was a poor choice since the sauce was the same as the lobster bisque with vegetables and potatoes added. It was served in a soup bowl with puff pastry in the center. The lobster was quite generous! My husband and daughter both had flat iron steak which they said was superb. The service was excellent -- the breads delicious -- as was dessert. We dined in the "bar" and the atmosphere was very nice. The only negative remark is that we felt the prices were a little on the high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightMamagDined on 10/26/2013Wonderful dining experience. Great and attentive staff. Having shared with family an awesome celebration for our 50th anniversary we looked forward to a quiet dinner for two and we certainly hit the jackpot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMKLKDined on 10/25/2013My wife and I visited recently and my first hint that something might be amiss was the abundance of empty tables in the main dining room. While it had been awhile since we last visited, we had dined here on many occasions for more than a decade and had never seen the room so empty. It was a special night so we ordered the Fall tasting menu and wine. The food was quite good. The service, on the other hand, was disappointing. The absence of ambience -- the feeling that everyone else knew something that we didn't -- only amplified it. It's infrequent that I spend $350 for dinner for two. When I do, I expect an excellent experience. In the future, I'll return to Pluckimin Inn and Serenade.
- DisappointedvisitorDined on 10/19/2013I was not wowed by the food. The lobster bisque was liquid with a little lobster in it. I have had better at local restaurants. The scallop dinner was not tasty. I actually left three quarters of the plate. The only thing I enjoyed was the dessert. The creme brulee.Special Features:
- Bernards Inn - Fabulous dinner!LisaMDined on 10/19/2013My husband and I visited the Bernards Inn for the second time, this weekend. We were here for our 5th wedding Anniversary and now our 10th Anniversary. The food was fantastic, again. They have a seasonal menu with local items and prepared in creative and interesting manners. The service was impeccable as was the ambiance. They really took excellent care to celebrate our anniversary by presenting a special dessert tray, a card from our waitstaff and a box of chocolates. It really was a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent45birthdayDined on 10/19/2013This is not a place to come to if your in a rush. The food was delicious with a select variety of items that were appropriate for the Fall season. The staff is very knowledgeable and attentive but not over bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeddingmstewolDined on 10/12/2013We took friends here to celebrate their recent wedding. Wonderful choice. The service is impeccable, the food original and sublime. It was the second time we had been there and I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Lunch and Learn!MenuMavenDined on 10/2/2013I know this restaurant as a dinner place but I tried it for lunch. Not one for overly ornate lunches, I feared the menu would be dinner on a smaller scale but menu is tri-level with gourmet fare, familiar luncheon items plus lower calorie and vegan choices. My butternut squash soup included bits of parma ham and carmelized pecans along with an intriquing blend of spices. I had a salad with shrimp and my dining partner enjoyed the turkey burger; rarely have these been so well executed. My shrimp were fresh and perfect with an interesting greens and goodies salad. Her burger was juicy and delicious and so big she took the rest home for dinner! The service was impeccable and the seating at the window wonderful. We said "Let's do this again!"Special Features:
- Very Nice Experience!JohnVIPDined on 10/2/2013Greeted with a big smile. Waiter/Waitress were outstanding with both their service and recommendations. Food was WOW! Will definitely return. We'd highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Although the restaurant isSharonDined on 9/28/2013Although the restaurant is lovely and the food was quite good, the service left much to be desired. Perhaps this was an off night, but it took forever for our food to be served, to the point where the waiter apologized. When the food was brought out from the kitchen, the person holding the tray could not get the attention of the waiter to serve us, so that added a couple of extra minutes to the process. While numerous staff members were in sight, our table appeared to have been forgotten. We had to ask to have our plates cleared after we had sat for 15 minutes clearly finished eating, and we had to ask for dessert menus. Not the experience we had expected.Special Features:
- Impecable service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2013The ambience and serviced were above reproach. Food good IF you still go for the "presentation" is everything. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special dinner with25YearCoupleDined on 9/22/2013Great special dinner with my lovely wife of 25 years. Food was great and the service was pleasant, attentive but relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hubby and I went there forbetsyknowsDined on 9/21/2013Hubby and I went there for our anniversary. Food was excellent. Wonderful service. When we ordered dessert, they wrote out "Happy Anniversary" on the plate and we received an anniversary card, signed by each member of the staff. There was a wedding going on while we were there but you would not have known it. All in all, a delicious, romantic and lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our anniversary andJanetDined on 9/14/2013It was our anniversary and the staff us very well. Dessert was served with anniversary wishes written on the plates, and we left with a signed card from the staff and a box of candies. Very nice, personal touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceDinerForTwoDined on 9/14/2013Everything was perfect. Food, service and atmosphere. Absolutely a fine dining experience. The choices on the menu, were superb and everything was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really worth it for lunchLarsDined on 9/10/2013This place might be better for dinner, but as a lunch venue, it falls short. For a place where lunch will run you 20-30 dollars for food, the quality is only adequate, and the level of sophistication is below par. My entree was a small Maryland crab cake, and whereas the crab cake was OK, the accompanying cole slaw was a mountain-sized serving next to the small crab cake. Service was disinterested, although we were the only guests in the restaurant.
- Had dinner on Monday night.YogiBooDined on 9/9/2013Had dinner on Monday night. Was interesting to see how popular they are on a regular week-day night. This was not a slow night for Bernards Inn. Service was outstanding; I especially enjoyed the fresh vegetable salad. Dinner was served in the Conservatory, a nice location, but I prefer the back dining room.....a little more quiet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2013Fine for treating VIPs to excellent dining. My food was too fancy - thd tuna pieces were almost unrecognizable with "stuff on top. It is very expensive for most diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantalexaquiDined on 9/7/2013Great all-around restaurant with great service and excellent food. The menu is a mix of the tried-and-true and interesting. It does not disappoint. Wine selection by the glass is good; the cocktails are very well prepared. Overall, looking forward to my next special occasion to enjoy the restaurant. The outdoor seating looked particularly nice! The only "issue" that we had was that there is a downstairs party venue. The music was so loud we could hear it over the piano player at the bar. The staff was responsive to requests to turn down the volume a bit, allowing us to enjoy our dinner and the music from the piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took daughter here for celebratoryaug31Dined on 8/31/2013Took daughter here for celebratory dinner after she graduated with her MBA. Food and service were wonderful, made a special time even betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.