27 Mine Brook Rd. (Route 202)
Bernardsville, NJ 07924Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bernardsinn.com/
- Phone: 9087660002x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Breakfast: Mon - Fri 6:30am - 10:00am,
Sunday a la Carte Brunch - 9:30am-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
Dinner: Friday, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Corey W. Heyer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Offsite catering department.
- Private Party Facilities: Three intimate private rooms with 160 person capacity along with a ballroom with 175 person capacity.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Schleimer 8776775343
- Entertainment: Live Piano Music Tuesday through Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Yappy Hour-Mondays during the summer on the Terrace. Bring your dog for special treats
A word from Bernards Inn
Two magnificent dining rooms and a warm clubby bar with Jazz Pianists are apt settings for the outstanding American cuisine of Chef Corey Heyer. The impressive wine cellar with selections from all over the world encompasses over 1,500 different labels. A six course tasting menu is available with or without wine pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bernards Inn - Best Restaurants in Bernardsville ›
Bernards Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)romantic (57)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (23)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)Show More
- Birthday Celebration!RUProfDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I were here to celebrate her birthday. The food was wonderful. Even more special was the friendly and knowledgeable attention of the waiters. It was a special meal from beginning to end.Special Features:
- ExcellentExcellentDined on 6/8/2014Quality service, attention to detail I have recommended this restaurant to all my friends and familySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014A wonderful evening with great music from pianist Bob Egan, fabulous food, and a warm and expert staff who took care of our requests with speed and grace.Special Features:
- Speechless on Service!JanetDined on 5/24/2014My experience of going to the Bernardsville in always consistently the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formal setting- welcoming staffSandyDined on 5/16/2014The service was prompt and personal; we had several servers after our order was taken; all were efficient, unobtrusive, and timely. The menu is traditional with touches of special sauces and unusual vegetables. We ordered chicken livers in pasta and poached lobster served with flourless potatoes. The sorbet we ordered for dessert is made in their kitchen and we could order any three flavor combinations. The portions are not large, but they are sized perfectly to allow room for side dishes or for dessert. Everything was fresh, well prepared, and served hot. The complimentary biscuit to start the meal and the small sweet at the conclusion were nice touches. We definitely plan to visit them again.Special Features:
- Bucket list kind of placeKittyDined on 5/13/2014Had a wonderful meal here, but the prices are too high for me to return. Portions are generous, and they bring out little freebies like an amuse buche and a tiny tray of sweets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice brunch spotSamr46Dined on 5/11/2014Set in an elegant older setting, the ambience was definitely upscale and adult. Food was good to very good. Disappointing eggs benedict but very good omelets and breakfast goodies. Nice dessert section. Some of the seafood, e.g., appeared to have been previously frozen (limp). Overall a very enjoyable experience without having to travel into the city but expensive for value received.Special Features:
- A High RatingwineanddineVIPDined on 5/9/2014Judging by what I selected from the Spring menu, the cauliflower soup and the liver and bacon, I'd certainly call this 4 1/2 star quality. I thought the ambience outstanding and the service both friendly and attentive. I dined on a less than crowed Friday, so perhaps I benefited from the attention to detail; nonetheless, I'll return. The wine list offers some great selections in two sized glasses. I thought the prices were reasonable from my expireances in some of the very best restaurants in North and Central Jersey. While they offer a great Zinfandel (my usual choice with liver and bacon), I opted for a Malbec that I thought an excellent match. Overall, this was an outstanding experince. I shall try it again this summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Night OutNjbigcatDined on 5/7/2014My BFF and I had a wonderful dinner. The food was good and the service was outstanding. The drinks were excellent and were a generous pour. When ever I get to Bernardsville I have to return!Special Features:
- dissapointing experiencenanaVIPDined on 5/3/2014We have dined at Bernardville Inn numerous times and recently the restaurant was a disappointment. The food was mediocore and their Spring/Summer menu was limited. Our waiter was not attentive and the service was slow. The restaurant is extremely expensive and frankly I do not see the value.
- FergsVIPDined on 5/2/2014Nice restaurant for special occasions. Expensive. Romantic. Vibrant bar scene on Friday evenings. Service staff went out of their way to make my wife feel extra special on her birthday. Call ahead and let the reservationist know of a special occasion. The staff will remember. Nice touch - they had the pianist perform a quick rendition of Happy Birthday. Thank you!Special Features:
- The Good and the not so good...TrishDined on 5/1/2014It's always a wonderful experience dining here. We love sitting in the bar area for dinner. However, the piano player was so loud that it was very distracting. He was playing a harsh,staccato beat the entire time.No soft, mellow music at all. We ordered bottled water which came in a bottle that was not sealed. We questioned this and was told about the filtration system. That was fine; however, when we finished 1 bottle the waiter automatically started pouring another bottle without asking us if we wanted it. I don't even know how much each bottle costs but normally they would ask before pouring; especially near the end of the meal when we might not finish it.Special Features:
- Great bar, excellent meal2jamestownersDined on 4/26/2014Perfectly executed Manhattens in the lovely old bar started the evening on a high note. The menu was extensive and the four of us had different appetizers, entrees and desserts and all were very good. The head sommelier was attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2014We went to the Inn to taste the new spring menu offerings and we weren't disappointed. From the minute we walked in until we walked out of the revolving door, we were blown away. The service, the food, the atmosphere was second to none. This is our favorite restaurant in New Jersey and it shouldn't be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alwaysthere1VIPDined on 4/20/2014Fit for foodies.but many other restaurants have food more appealing to my taste. Portions on small size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations!YogiBooDined on 4/20/2014Had Easter Dinner here. Had Thanksgiving Dinnern 2013 and was disappointed by the service, noise and overall ambiance. Decided to try again on a hoiday and all of my expectations were exceeded. Liked the chicken liver agnolotti (the snap peas and pea puree were special spring additions) and the lamb loin was delicious (a welcome change from the familiar rack of lamb). Service was excellent, attentive and well-paced. I think the best tables are in the Great Room. Made reservations early, requested a table in the Great Room, and that solved the noise and ambiance problems. At Easter the room was filled with families enjoying good food and good company. Glad I tried Bernards Inn again on a holiday......and will eagerly return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Outstanding experience for a holiday dinner. Food offerings very well planned. We were 4 people and all were extremely pleased with our meals and wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter BrunchBirdyDined on 4/20/2014We made a family trip to the Bernards Inn for Easter this year, since nobody had time to have the holiday at home. The Bernards Inn food is always excellent and I like the subdued setting. Valet parking makes life easier, although there is ample parking in the lot across the street. There is always a seasonal cocktail list and an extensive wine selection. I enjoyed the filet mignon and the lobster bisque. Both were excellent. Service is attentive and professional. I like to come here during the week for cocktails and small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Compliments to the chef!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014Food and service are fabulous, very comfortable surroundings, however I wish I could afford to dine here more often. Prices are fair in today's economy, but not for the average family such as mine.Special Features:
- Culinary gemSarahtDined on 4/12/2014The Bernards Inn is a wonderful place to experience delicious food and wonderful wine in a beautiful setting. The service is stellar and the sommelier is extremely knowledgeable. Treat yourself to the Bernards Inn. Try a wine flight. It's not offered many places but it's a good way to try new varieties and promote conversation.Special Features:
- Old school charmHospitalityJimDined on 4/10/2014Located inside a 21 room inn, with a large professional staff, polished wood island bar, this restaurant has character. Solid food and small but functional menu. Had customer dinner and received perfect service and fine food. Interesting offerings included beer salad, lobster and black fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBobkDined on 4/2/2014Top tier dining experience. Service was super and subtle. Food was excellent. Very nice setting. Very professional operation.Special Features:
- Surprised!scarletknight1Dined on 4/2/2014I took business associates to lunch and was very disappointed. Ambiance was lovely. However the service was extremely slow and less than attentive. The food was fair and not up to my expectation. One of my guests found a piece of plastic in her soup. Of course it was removed from the bill and we received an apology from the restaurant host. Would have preferred the Chef had come to our table and offered and explanation/apology, complimentary desserts or something other than just taking the price of the soup off the bill.
- Birthday BrunchTrudesDined on 3/30/2014We had a lovely Sunday Brunch at the hotel dining room. It is a pretty country setting with a beautiful circular bar off of the lobby. Our group all chose egg dishes, and they were all served at one time, and were delicious. Drinks and wine were plentiful, as well as delicious fresh bread offerings, and attention was paid during our service. We were celebrating a birthday, and the staff made a lovely presentation with a candle lit dessert, and a box of truffles for the birthday guest. It seems that a lot of the restaurants in NJ do not offer brunch. Unless you go to a mall, or a highway type of chain restaurant, the best choices seem to be in our local hotels.Special Features:
- not as scenuc as I thought it wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014I was thinking for area more of s country wood setting not a main highway was disappointedSpecial Features:
- thought food was good butpowderpuffVIPDined on 3/22/2014thought food was good but not great, nothing to write home about. the ambiance of a historic inn and restaurant made the restaurant cozy and elegant. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and anniversary and they were great at acknowledging our celebrations with complimentary sweets and good wish cards. OUr service was outstanding. I would recommend the bar area for a light fare and some nice piano musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised...PickypersonDined on 3/22/2014My husband and I met a couple that I hadn't seen in some years at the Bernards Inn for dinner. We wanted a nice place to meet for dinner about half-way in between N. NJ & Bucks Co with a comfortable environment to catch up. Not being familiar with local places along the route, I had some difficulty getting reservations. I expected the Bernards Inn to be stuffy with only so-so food. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The service was outstanding, food was great and there is a lovely bar and dining room. I would go back & would recommend the Bernards Inn to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/19/2014Jeff and his staff were extremely accommodating for our 4 hour business meeting. As always, their food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/6/2014Overall the experience was fantastic.. One course of food a little overcooked and the coffee served was llukwarmSpecial Features:
- Great for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014I looked up best restaurant's in NJ and The Bernard's Inn came up.....we gave it a try and it was absolutely superb. Elegant and befiiting for a special occasion, with teriffic food and service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What do you wantjimboDined on 2/19/2014It was a very nice place for lunch with our friends. It was a slow day and the kitchen was slower, but the table service was attentive. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Can't understand the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/16/2014Second time eating here. First was for dinner this time for brunch. When I cam for dinner I couldn't help but think everyone who worked at the restaurant was full of themselves, and my meal did not match their prevention. Left feeling the same after this brunch experience. We were stuck in a back room that was poorly lit and had not an ounce of ambiance. My eggs Benedict were nothing spectacular and I think everyone at the table felt the same. Too many other restaurants for me to waste another experience on this one!
- perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014We haven't been here in a few years and we were so pleased that we returned. Our table for two was private and the tasting menu was fantastic. Everything we ate was delicious and the wine pairings very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okchipDined on 2/15/2014I had suckling pig which I did not care for. I was very disappointed in it. The portion was small, overcooked and dry. My wife had the lasagna but was ok but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestRonzo1162Dined on 2/15/2014Bernards Inn is just that one of the best restaurants in NJ. The food is out of this world, the service is always top notch, abience is great, cozy, romantic, classy without being stodgy and stiff. We have never been disappointed everytime we go. If I would have to say one thing that would have made it an excellent experience I would have preferred be sitted in a different room/locaton than the one that we were sitted in..the previous area/room that we have sat in was much more romantic and cozy. Next time we will request the room/location that we like, other than that which is pretty minor - this restaurant is superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentWorkingNJMonDined on 2/15/2014We go out to nice dinners each saturday night and are pretty familiar with most of the fine restaurants in NJ. We were seated in the lower level which looks like pizzeria - we stared longingly at the beautiful bar scene in the level above us. The waiters seemed inexperienced and were very slow. My husband and I ordered the suckling pig which was shredded and packed into a rectangular patty with a hard crust on the top and had zero flavor. The boiled potatoes had no flavor as my husband's had the added bonus of a HAIR! Since service was slow, my husband had eaten half his suckling pig before we could show him the hair. We had desserts and coffees. The check came and nothing was taken off or free to compensate for the hair. Not going back
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014Amazing food and service that is second to no other restaurant including those in Manhatten. We choose to "Graze" and between the bar menu and the a la carte menu we had the chance to try so many different dishes. The tuna topped with oxtail marmalade was sushi grade (no veins) and the combination was incredible. Kale salad with cranberries and preserved lemon was one of the best salads we have had. Foie Gras with a warm banana bread was complimented wiith a glass of sauterne recommended by our waiter. We ordered a side plate of dates filled with peanut butter wrapped with bacon that melted in your mouth. We had an amazing red wine from Austria that was only 39.00! The wine list is very impressive, just wanted to sit and read it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some updating on foodAwesomeScottVIPDined on 1/18/2014everything was good but for the price, the food just wasnt up to its usual top shelf status. Just Average at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go backEllaDined on 1/18/2014Extremely noisy in bar room. Had to change our table to main dining room. Service very slow. Food mediocre. Would not dine there again.
- old-style eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014Terrific chef -- everything was beautifully prepared and delicious. Impeccable service if a little over-attentive. This is an old-fashioned place that strives for a kind of elegance that has gone rather out of fashion. The wine list is formidable, but the beer selection is small and uninspired -- nothing on draught, no pale ales. Someone at Bernards needs to wake up to the craft beer movement if they expect to attract the next generation of patrons. Prices are very high. For the money I would favor Elements in Princeton, but BI certainly boasts one of the best kitchens in central NJ.Special Features: