3917 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caminorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 510-547-5035
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Russell Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 34 at a single table. We also offer the option to buy out the restaurant for special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Allison 5105475035
A word from Camino
After working at Chez Panisse for over 20 years, Russell Moore opened this warm and rustic restaurant in the Grand Lake area of Oakland. Inspired by traditional home cooking in France, Italy and Spain most of the dishes served at the restaurant are cooked at the restaurant’s prominent fireplace or wood burning oven. A small, decisive, daily changing menu reflects the seasons, the region and the restaurant’s commitment to small farms. Camino offers a specialized cocktail menu using the same carefully sourced ingredients as the kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Camino - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Camino reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (104)good for groups (62)special occasion (60)great for brunch (43)notable wine list (28)hot spot (25)romantic (24)kid-friendly (15)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (6)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Foodies loved it.Renny1Dined on 6/25/2014Our Chicago guests, who always seek out the best restaurants, said this was the best meal of their recent SF trip.Special Features:
- always friendly and creativelovenuanceDined on 6/16/2014This is a place we visit for great food, great service and great ambience. We love the long wood tables and the open fire, where the chef works at such ease and with so much evident love. Very good cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Camino RealAlExVIPDined on 6/15/2014I haven't been here in a long time and it was nice to come back. I'm always worried about feeling hungry when I leave here but that wasn't a problem this time. The squid salad and eggplant salad were delicious. The sole was huge and tasty although the almonds were bitter. The salmon was spot on. The duck was perfect as was the salad. The desserts were so so. The fig leaf ice cream had too much of a fluffy texture like Breyers. The flavor reminded me of young coconut. The apricot tart had this delicious cream along with it. And finally the cookies are some of the best I've ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service blew our night.Colleen1234VIPDined on 6/15/2014Our food was good , not special but ok. The service was very uneven, 40 plus between clearing our apps and our entree .Plus 3!tables that came in after us were served before us! with I may add the same dishes That was after 30 mins for our apps. It's a restaurant with a good concept but very poorly executed.Special Features:
- rich510VIPDined on 6/15/2014Limited menu. I visited several times years ago, but was disappointed on return. Interesting food but not as good as in past. Despite excellent write up in NY Times. Service also OK but disappointing.Special Features:
- Father's Day BrunchnephewsbirthdayDined on 6/15/2014This was our first time eating at Camino. The layout of the restaurant was nice. We ordered a coffee and a peach brandy drink. The $3 coffee came in a glass with no handle. My husband said it was too hot to hold and then it was too cold to drink. I asked him how it tasted. He said it was nothing special. My peach brandy drink was a one-note alcoholic drink. We ordered sausages, donuts with huckleberry sauce, butter lettuce with light dressing. They were all good. The chicken ballotine dish had only two pieces in it, which was a disappointment. The lamb ragout was a little gamy for my husband's taste. Overall, the place has very good ambiance, but the food was nothing memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodslim35Dined on 6/14/2014Noisy as in the past. Knew enough to bring a cushion. Food well prepared but duck, beautifully cooked, was too salty and peppered. Service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBethDined on 6/11/2014Food never disappoints - it is always a treat. Duck sausage and kebabs are amazing.Special Features:
- Lovely surprise1moretimeDined on 6/9/2014Joined out of two friends and choose the restaurant initially as a good "half-way" point. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and atmosphere. Entire party said "we would come here again". Attentive staff, amazing preparation. Not the usual menu. Great for the group of foodies at dinner. Only one caution -- the portions are very small so try multiple items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great mixed drinks. Super service. Dishes have creative blends. Can't wait to ho backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite wonderfulcsfegpDined on 6/7/2014on every level, a gem, and much improved over the years too.. includes smaller dishes for smaller pocketbooks as well.. and larger portions easy to share.. (and remember to add a bit to the gratuities).Special Features:
- Great food, too loudHersheyKissDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed our meal, but it was so noisy that we couldn't really converse, and we had gone with friends we wanted to catch up with. Might go back for brunch or lunch, but not again on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- 2hijasandmaxVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food was great and enjoyed by all. Our friends from Marin would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindsDined on 6/6/2014The food was good, but was over-priced for size of portions and taste. Meal was oil-heavy, but without enough spices or much flavor. We tried 3 different dishes, and none of them were "blow your mind" delicious. On the up-side, my cocktail was superb, and the ambience was delightful, airy and light. Glad we tried it, but with all the other great restaurants in the area, we won't go back to Camino.Special Features:
- Dependably Wow!MeMeDined on 6/1/2014Among the five of us we ate eight of the offerings on the menu, and we agreed we'd all do all of them again. Fresh local ingredients, innovative combinations, and perfect preparations make Camino a dependable place to go when you must have great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaminoCBloves2eatoutDined on 6/1/2014We had a reservation, took 10 minutes to see a waitress and 30 more before our drink order arrived. Must every drink come in the same small juice glass? Once the waitress gave us the food and drink menus, she disappeared again. Water was filled often by the bus staff, which was appreciated. Eventually our food order was taken, but then the waitress took the drink menus away and never asked if we wanted wine with dinner. So we all drank water. I also would like to have a clean fork with my entree, not my dirty salad fork, which the bus person set down on the table. We also asked for more bread and never got any. My daughter says she thinks that mediocre service is the norm these days, I am hoping she is wrong.Special Features:
- Yummy but tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/1/2014Delicious but the portions were laughably tiny. Like when people make fun of fancy restaurants for having microscopic food -- that tiny. And no one warned us that the frittata was really a "fritatta sample", in which case I would have ordered more food. But it took so long for our food to arrive that I got discouraged and decided not to. Also I wanted a side order of pickles from the bar and they hadn't made enough so couldn't spare three pickles?! I wanted to love this place but I won't go back:(. Very nice ambiance though.
- DELISHfallonVIPDined on 5/31/2014The menu is simple - and everything on it is absolutely perfect. We tried salads, apps, mains and dessert, and every single bite was balanced, fresh and delicious. The service was uneven; our server was either inexperienced or overwhelmed, but the rest of the wait staff was pleasant and helpful while filling in. I would go back to Camino anytime.Special Features:
- Couldn't hear myself think...CaminoDined on 5/30/2014Another noisy, pricy, wood grill place, with hard wood bench seating. Only 4 entre choices (squid, quail, mushrooms, or salmon). Bland butter lettuce salad as starter. The salmon was delicious, but I was still hungry after, and there are no sides. The server had to explain that I had to remove an aromatic herb on my fish. (I probably would have figured that out, but, just take it off then. Seemed a little pretentious.) Also was not impressed by the single slice of carrot they served as a complimentary appetizer. Are you kidding me? a slice of carrot? Would not endure the discomfort again for a couple of yummy bites of salmon.
- Solidly good foodLascaDined on 5/26/2014I always enjoy the food at Camino. I wish the chairs were more comfortable though. I also wish I could hear my dining companion. Still, the food and the service are reliably good so I will keep going back.Special Features:
- Food inconsistentDFreshDined on 5/25/2014Have been her twice before. The two prior visits, the food was excellent to outstanding. Last night was just so-so. In general the food lacks nuance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food - great for veggiesIsraelVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a great place for good vegetables. The care they put in their vegetarian dishes is outstanding!Special Features:
- Fresh and localOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Unbelievably fresh, seasonal menu. A must-eat for any foodie or wanna-be foodie.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Delicious food and excellent service! Creative menu for brunch. We will be back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- tasty/pleasantloloDined on 5/21/2014Came here for the first time, had a very pleasant evening. The cocktails stood out - loved the rye drink and the mint julep. The server we had was great, very nice and attentive. The atmosphere was great, loved the open fire in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1644 reviews are from the Camino reviews archive.
- Amazing duckBethDined on 5/19/2014The duck kebabs were the best imaginable and the entire dinner and service were excellent. We love the food at Camino - it continually exceeds expectations. With their limited menu they can excel at everything. Same with the drink menu .Special Features:
- A JokeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2014Having read rave reviews of Camino, took visiting relatives there for dinner. Service was non-existent. Menu was absurdly precious and extremely limited. Food was unimpressive. Impossible to converse because of noise. Worst dining experience in recent memory.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014The menu is pretty inventive, but the food was not worth the price and the portions are small for the price we paid. The drinks were good.Special Features:
- thank you!RangeDined on 5/16/2014Been here before and still not a dissapointment. The food was really good and the noise level was just right. Will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Emperor's New ClothesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Yes, Mark Bitman raved. Yes, my friends seem to like this place. I've been three times now, and this time, I finally realized I won't be going back. It was probably the "packages" the mushrooms were served in. Baked in parchment, we were meant to open them and pour them over the lentils and veg. Well, my 76-year-old mother and I had a hell of a time with the strings, baked and stiff as they were. Should this be served with scissors? I say yes, or not served at all. Good lord. How precious. The egg on that dish was the only thing to remark upon, and you know what? I can buy good eggs at Berkeley Bowl and make them at home. So Camino and all who enjoy you, enjoy. And try not to notice you are paying a lot for mushrooms, eggs, and lentils.
- mothers day brunchrosieDined on 5/11/2014loved it. food was really good and different than the standard brunch. service great..will be back for moreSpecial Features:
- Favorite restaurant!AlexandraDined on 5/10/2014It is the second time I dine at Camino and my experience was blissful. The food is prepared with quality ingredients and care, the wine list is organic/biodynamic, the service is friendly and professional, and the atmosphere relaxed. Our dinner was simply perfect. My only complaint is that the dishes come in fairly small portions for the price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably amazing foodajewiroiawerDined on 5/10/2014I came with my kids, 12 and 14, to celebrate my birthday and it was an incredible treat. We were utterly amazed by every single dish. Every dish was beautifully presented, and had amazing flavors and textures. Our server was terrific. She was knowledgeable but casual and treated us well even though it was just me and my kids. That said, I wouldn't bring kids younger than 12.Special Features:
- Use of herbsHerbyguyDined on 5/9/2014We have been to Camino many times and every dish has been really good, some great. The flavors of all elements are always distinct and then come the herbs... The use of herbs is unbeatable, just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I seem to be becoming a regularGemmamaDined on 5/2/2014I find myself wanting to go back to Camino again and again. I love the three-course, thematic Monday night dinners: Kebabs! Crab! Little birds! Every time I dine at Camino there is a dish that lingers in my food memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedsourdoughDined on 4/27/2014I'd heard great things about Camino and was surprised at how underwhelmed I was. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed. The service was in the way, constantly interrupting us to remove plates, or ask us if we wanted to order more items, and yet our meal came out in very long intervals, leaving us to sit with empty plates for long stretches. While the food was tasty, the servings were so small that I spent more time wondering if it was worth the expense. The seating was cramped and my date and I were constantly having to repeat ourselves as our conversation was drowned out by the neighbors nearby.Special Features:
- How to make it even betterPyrodougVIPDined on 4/27/2014Russell Moore's Camino serves unique dishes using only the freshest ingredients. But because they are often unusual combinations or ingredients it's hard to choose what to order. Our experience has taught us that the least desirable on paper is often the most desirable to the palette. To fix that, we now just order one of everything and share. This has the effect of creating our own 12 course tasting menu. This works well with four people. Two people would find the entire menu a bit expensive and a bit too much food, but still the idea of sharing should be considered. The menu is always changing, so go often, be bold, and try everything. You'll be glad you did.Special Features:
- It was OKOTrjfDined on 4/26/2014Very limited menu. Not very exciting or inovative food the night we were there.
- DISAPPOINTED!!!highexpectationsDined on 4/24/2014Refused to seat our party at a separate table for 6!!! Claimed our reservation was made too late! Our res. was at 6pm. when the resturant was vertually empty!
- Camino very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Our first time there. Very innovative, good food. Nice ambiance. Will definitely return.