3917 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caminorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 510-547-5035
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Russell Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 34 at a single table. We also offer the option to buy out the restaurant for special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Allison 5105475035
A word from Camino
After working at Chez Panisse for over 20 years, Russell Moore opened this warm and rustic restaurant in the Grand Lake area of Oakland. Inspired by traditional home cooking in France, Italy and Spain most of the dishes served at the restaurant are cooked at the restaurant’s prominent fireplace or wood burning oven. A small, decisive, daily changing menu reflects the seasons, the region and the restaurant’s commitment to small farms. Camino offers a specialized cocktail menu using the same carefully sourced ingredients as the kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Camino - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Camino reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)neighborhood gem (107)good for groups (71)special occasion (59)great for brunch (42)romantic (31)notable wine list (30)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (6)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- One of Our Favorite PlacesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2014The experience at Camino is akin to eating in the most inviting living room, with the best food, and the finest service. The food is always spectacular, and the seasonal menus offer wonderful culinary surprises. The relaxed environment and great bar keep up coming back again and again.Special Features:
- A real treatecovegetarianDined on 7/21/2014When we were seeking a special place to take a guest, Camino was recommended to us as a place with really good food and pleasant ambiance, and not outrageous prices. We are vegetarians and our guest is a carnivore. All of us were delighted with the delicious fare and the relaxing environment. Service was fast and just right. I'd recommend it for a lovely night out any time.Special Features:
- Almost, but not quiteGreatVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good points: two of our four dishes were quite good, the other two okay. Food was inventive in three of four dishes. Bad points: very limited menu, and chairs that were so uncomfortable, we decided to have dessert elsewhere. Sadly, we won't be in a rush to come back.
- food is the best partebaydinerDined on 7/18/2014The food was quite good, and on that part alone I will come back. We were late for the reservation due to car problems. They were very gracious about it, but there were also a decent number of empty tables so it wasn't a stretch to seat us when we arrived. The wait person and service was a big disappointment. Everything was slow in coming, and we had to hail our waitperson several times. The bench seats and hard wood chairs are cute, but not very comfortable I hadn't been to Camino in quite a long time. While my experience wasn't stellar, I will keep it in mind for future dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Delicious combination of flavors in my vegetarian dish! Love the freshness of their food and how they combine the different ingredients to make is flavorful. I also love that every time I visit Camino I find a new menu to choose from.Special Features:
- Recommended and loved it !izumiDined on 7/10/2014Food is good. People are nice. Love the interior, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love CaminoJayGuptaDined on 7/3/2014Great restaurant. One of the few places in the Bay Area that I return to. If you are into food that sports layers of surprising, sometimes unusual flavors, go here. Our waitress was a little dense this time around, but hey, that's ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and superbItaloPhileDined on 7/3/2014True, unpretentious "California cuisine". For most of us a splurge, but you know that you are getting seasonal ingredients of unsurpassed quality, skillfully prepared and served by a knowledgeable staff who clearly enjoy what they are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Fantastic place for inventive but by no means frivolous food and cocktails. The menu is built on a solid base of classic French cookery, but with a California twist. I know that sounds like a lot of Bay Area restaurants, but few do what they do this well. The service is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient, and the wine list is extremely well vetted.Special Features:
- dynawriteDined on 6/30/2014The servings were smaller than I expected especially given the price. I imagine this is a California cuisine type restaurant. The food was good, but not outstanding. The dessert however was excellent. I had Tunisian orange cake. I think this restaurant is appropriate for a high energy evening, not a quiet romantic one. I had trouble hearing the person across from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RE: Decent but not great RestaurantrockytonyVIPDined on 6/29/2014First time here. Reservation resulted in timely seating. No intimacy here as it looked like a room full of picnic tables, eliminating an intimacy because conversations could be overheard by people sitting virtually at the same elongated table. Sound seemed to echo all around where you were seated. Server was pleasant, efficient and a good sense of humor making the evening enjoyable just for that. Menu was varied but not many entrees from which to choose. My fish was tasty but luke warm. Wine and beer but no mixed drinks. PLenty of parking even though on a main street. Overall decent restaurant but not worth the trip across the bridge.
- Always Interesting at CaminoAussieDinerDined on 6/28/2014This was only our second visit to Camino, and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. The long tables, interspersed with smaller tables for four, give the dining room the look of communal dining, but the vibe is friendly, energetic and fun. Food was really wonderful, though one of our dishes was forgotten until we asked about it. It was then brought promptly with a friendly and sincere apology. Noise level is a bit too high for comfortable conversation, which is always a little disappointing, and the had surfaces exacerbate the problem. Still, it's a lovely place with lovely food and we had a great time.Special Features:
- Amazing food and entrees. Apps ok.RespectDined on 6/27/2014Great entrees. Accompanying sauces, broths and veggies were licked up with bread. Service and attitude can be a bit precious. (No vodka cocktails on cocktail menu) Just wanted a Mannattan like I had had there twice in the past. (Best Manhattan of my life). But after sending one drink back we drank the second even though everyone at the table agreed that it tasted like straight bourbon. At that point I figured it will get me drunk. Other cocktails and wine were great. Changing menu is irritating. Sometimes the menu barely changes over a few weeks and other times you will be excited to try something only to learn that it was replaced. We were barely able to get a bite per person out of 7 apps that barely provide enough food for 6 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat yourselfEat2liveDined on 6/27/2014A wonderful all around experience, food excellent,service kind,friendly and professional dessert fantastic. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a quality dinning experience. I don't do dairy and this place wasn't scary......! Fresh,clean,healthy food.Special Features:
- The following 1671 reviews are from the Camino reviews archive.
- Great Intentions -- medium successDinerDined on 6/25/2014I loved how warm, nice and relaxed the waiters and cooks were, how beautiful and pleasant the ambiance was, and how imaginative and fresh the salads were. But being a pescaterian (so I can't talk about meat and poultry), the actual entrees were quite weak, as were the desserts.
- Over Priced and Under FoodedEastBayRoVIPDined on 6/25/2014I don't mind limited menus- it allows the cook to focus on doing a few things really well. But this place charges $26-29 per entree and the portions are very small. The drink portions are small, the appetizer portions are small- everything is small but the tables. And the flavors are not unique enough to warrant the prices. It is a very diverse crowd and obviously caters to the Lake Merritt trendies.Special Features:
- Foodies loved it.Renny1VIPDined on 6/25/2014Our Chicago guests, who always seek out the best restaurants, said this was the best meal of their recent SF trip.Special Features:
- always friendly and creativelovenuanceDined on 6/16/2014This is a place we visit for great food, great service and great ambience. We love the long wood tables and the open fire, where the chef works at such ease and with so much evident love. Very good cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Camino RealAlExVIPDined on 6/15/2014I haven't been here in a long time and it was nice to come back. I'm always worried about feeling hungry when I leave here but that wasn't a problem this time. The squid salad and eggplant salad were delicious. The sole was huge and tasty although the almonds were bitter. The salmon was spot on. The duck was perfect as was the salad. The desserts were so so. The fig leaf ice cream had too much of a fluffy texture like Breyers. The flavor reminded me of young coconut. The apricot tart had this delicious cream along with it. And finally the cookies are some of the best I've ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service blew our night.Colleen1234VIPDined on 6/15/2014Our food was good , not special but ok. The service was very uneven, 40 plus between clearing our apps and our entree .Plus 3!tables that came in after us were served before us! with I may add the same dishes That was after 30 mins for our apps. It's a restaurant with a good concept but very poorly executed.Special Features:
- rich510VIPDined on 6/15/2014Limited menu. I visited several times years ago, but was disappointed on return. Interesting food but not as good as in past. Despite excellent write up in NY Times. Service also OK but disappointing.Special Features:
- Father's Day BrunchnephewsbirthdayDined on 6/15/2014This was our first time eating at Camino. The layout of the restaurant was nice. We ordered a coffee and a peach brandy drink. The $3 coffee came in a glass with no handle. My husband said it was too hot to hold and then it was too cold to drink. I asked him how it tasted. He said it was nothing special. My peach brandy drink was a one-note alcoholic drink. We ordered sausages, donuts with huckleberry sauce, butter lettuce with light dressing. They were all good. The chicken ballotine dish had only two pieces in it, which was a disappointment. The lamb ragout was a little gamy for my husband's taste. Overall, the place has very good ambiance, but the food was nothing memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodslim35Dined on 6/14/2014Noisy as in the past. Knew enough to bring a cushion. Food well prepared but duck, beautifully cooked, was too salty and peppered. Service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBethDined on 6/11/2014Food never disappoints - it is always a treat. Duck sausage and kebabs are amazing.Special Features:
- Lovely surprise1moretimeDined on 6/9/2014Joined out of two friends and choose the restaurant initially as a good "half-way" point. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and atmosphere. Entire party said "we would come here again". Attentive staff, amazing preparation. Not the usual menu. Great for the group of foodies at dinner. Only one caution -- the portions are very small so try multiple items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great mixed drinks. Super service. Dishes have creative blends. Can't wait to ho backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite wonderfulcsfegpDined on 6/7/2014on every level, a gem, and much improved over the years too.. includes smaller dishes for smaller pocketbooks as well.. and larger portions easy to share.. (and remember to add a bit to the gratuities).Special Features:
- Great food, too loudHersheyKissDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed our meal, but it was so noisy that we couldn't really converse, and we had gone with friends we wanted to catch up with. Might go back for brunch or lunch, but not again on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- 2hijasandmaxVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food was great and enjoyed by all. Our friends from Marin would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindsDined on 6/6/2014The food was good, but was over-priced for size of portions and taste. Meal was oil-heavy, but without enough spices or much flavor. We tried 3 different dishes, and none of them were "blow your mind" delicious. On the up-side, my cocktail was superb, and the ambience was delightful, airy and light. Glad we tried it, but with all the other great restaurants in the area, we won't go back to Camino.Special Features:
- Dependably Wow!MeMeDined on 6/1/2014Among the five of us we ate eight of the offerings on the menu, and we agreed we'd all do all of them again. Fresh local ingredients, innovative combinations, and perfect preparations make Camino a dependable place to go when you must have great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaminoCBloves2eatoutDined on 6/1/2014We had a reservation, took 10 minutes to see a waitress and 30 more before our drink order arrived. Must every drink come in the same small juice glass? Once the waitress gave us the food and drink menus, she disappeared again. Water was filled often by the bus staff, which was appreciated. Eventually our food order was taken, but then the waitress took the drink menus away and never asked if we wanted wine with dinner. So we all drank water. I also would like to have a clean fork with my entree, not my dirty salad fork, which the bus person set down on the table. We also asked for more bread and never got any. My daughter says she thinks that mediocre service is the norm these days, I am hoping she is wrong.Special Features:
- Yummy but tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/1/2014Delicious but the portions were laughably tiny. Like when people make fun of fancy restaurants for having microscopic food -- that tiny. And no one warned us that the frittata was really a "fritatta sample", in which case I would have ordered more food. But it took so long for our food to arrive that I got discouraged and decided not to. Also I wanted a side order of pickles from the bar and they hadn't made enough so couldn't spare three pickles?! I wanted to love this place but I won't go back:(. Very nice ambiance though.
- DELISHfallonVIPDined on 5/31/2014The menu is simple - and everything on it is absolutely perfect. We tried salads, apps, mains and dessert, and every single bite was balanced, fresh and delicious. The service was uneven; our server was either inexperienced or overwhelmed, but the rest of the wait staff was pleasant and helpful while filling in. I would go back to Camino anytime.Special Features:
- Couldn't hear myself think...CaminoDined on 5/30/2014Another noisy, pricy, wood grill place, with hard wood bench seating. Only 4 entre choices (squid, quail, mushrooms, or salmon). Bland butter lettuce salad as starter. The salmon was delicious, but I was still hungry after, and there are no sides. The server had to explain that I had to remove an aromatic herb on my fish. (I probably would have figured that out, but, just take it off then. Seemed a little pretentious.) Also was not impressed by the single slice of carrot they served as a complimentary appetizer. Are you kidding me? a slice of carrot? Would not endure the discomfort again for a couple of yummy bites of salmon.
- Solidly good foodLascaDined on 5/26/2014I always enjoy the food at Camino. I wish the chairs were more comfortable though. I also wish I could hear my dining companion. Still, the food and the service are reliably good so I will keep going back.Special Features:
- Food inconsistentDFreshDined on 5/25/2014Have been her twice before. The two prior visits, the food was excellent to outstanding. Last night was just so-so. In general the food lacks nuance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food - great for veggiesIsraelVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a great place for good vegetables. The care they put in their vegetarian dishes is outstanding!Special Features:
- Fresh and localOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Unbelievably fresh, seasonal menu. A must-eat for any foodie or wanna-be foodie.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Delicious food and excellent service! Creative menu for brunch. We will be back and recommend to others.Special Features: