The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (167)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (96)notable wine list (80)vibrant bar scene (74)great for lunch (69)hot spot (58)romantic (58)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (14)great for brunch (10)scenic view (1)Show More
- great food! we ordered offM2242Dined on 6/8/2009great food! we ordered off the lobsterfest menu and all had wonderful meals!Special Features:
- The service and seating roomOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2009The service and seating room were sub-par for this expensive of a dining establishment. We did have 3 very good meals but one meal was below average. That was the meal that counted the most. I will not rush to get back here anytime soon.
- Service was excellent. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2009Service was excellent. Food delicious! Always a great meal in a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- I've been to the Sole manyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2009I've been to the Sole many times, it has lost it's charm for me. The tuna steak was not great, firecrackers were great as usual. I won't go back for a long time, and would not sit at a table again, only a booth, tables are too close to other guests for my liking.
- I really enjoyed it. The atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is nice. The food was excellent. The cost was on the higher side of reasonable but well worth it for the quality. A little too noisy in the dining room, but still worth it. The service was great. I will make this a regular destination for us.Special Features:
- We have been eating here forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2009We have been eating here for years and the quality of the food never diminishes. It is among my all time favorite seafood restaurants. Unfortunately I live 60miles away so only go ocassionally. We meet out friends who live 60 miles in the other direction several times a year. Although the restaurant can tend to be noisy, msome of the smaller rooms are more sedate.Special Features:
- Dinner menu very extensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2009Dinner menu very extensive for the adventuring fish-lover. Ambiance and decor is great and service was very attentive but needed to be slowed down a bit. Plan plenty of time ahead though for parking.Special Features:
- I took a group of clientsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/28/2009I took a group of clients out for lunch and this was their choice- it is their favorite restaurant. The menu selection was huge,concentrating on Seafood and including a wide variety of Sushi, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed what they ate. The service was great without being stuffy or over done. They advertised a special priced bar menu during after work hours and late night that sounded really good. My only negative is that since I live almost 2 hurs away I will not be able to return on a consistant basis. I would absolutley suggest this to everyone!Special Features:
- I had great expectations aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2009I had great expectations about dining at Sole Proprietor but it really fell short. We were greeted and seated at a table, after which the waitress came to take our appetizer and drinks order. She did take time to go over the menu sections, but when try to described the dishes she really failed. It seemed as if she was not very familiar with the dishes. Furthermore, she seemed to be all over the place and did not pay and focus her attention on us. We asked for more water and as she was coming to our table she was sidetracked by a glass break at another table, and completely forgot about our water. Now about the food. It was fresh but it lacked state and plate decor. The vegetables were very bland and boring. I will not dine there again.
- Always a consistent high qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2009Always a consistent high quality dining experience. Food and service excellant.Special Features:
- We've had dinner numerousVeronicaVIPDined on 5/20/2009We've had dinner numerous times at The Sole - the food is always fabulous. Probably the best seafood in the area! The only drawback is how busy they are - even when you have reservations you're still apt to have to wait 30 minutes for your table.Special Features:
- When you go to the "Sole"OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2009When you go to the "Sole" you're never disappointed. The only thing that is difficult is finding a place to park. This is a little tough on cusotmers since it's always busy. However, is worth that minor aggravation to have a great night out. Always a winner.Special Features:
- Food and service were exceptional,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2009Food and service were exceptional, a bit noisy due to it was busy there.Special Features:
- Went there for dinner afterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2009Went there for dinner after graduation with family and friends. Food was made with little wait when the place was semi-packed and came out really awesome. Definitely would recommend the crab cakes! The waiters were however not too knowledgeable about their wine (or how to open it - broke the cork with a horrible bottle opener) and a bit too assertive. But I like to mention again, the food was awesome.Special Features:
- This is a real gem. I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2009This is a real gem. I have been there a number of times before and have found their seafood to be OUTSTANDING! And, being from Boston, I am used to good seafood! From some of my dining partners, I have gathered that the steak isn't nearly as good. This place is a real find, and it is no wonder that it is always packed out.Special Features:
- It was great and has alwaysPluto7007Dined on 5/13/2009It was great and has always been great, can't park your car on a wednesday night, whats that tell you, Steven HicklenSpecial Features:
- Food good. Dinning room wasDanielDined on 5/10/2009Food good. Dinning room was terrible. Noisy, poor layout, many others were dressed way down. More of a family dinning experience (read: young children) than I expected given the prices.
- My husband and I ordered oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2009My husband and I ordered oysters (Wellfleet) and a shrimp risotto dish with a salad. Everything was REALLY good. The service was quick, professional, yet friendly and everything was just delicious. I would DEFINITELY go back.Special Features:
- We just happen to be standingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2009We just happen to be standing next to the hostess when she made a remark about our requesting a "quiet table" when she wasn't aware that we were the customer that requested it. We were put at a nice table in a corner...RIGHT NEXT TO A PARTY OF 10, that was "quiet"...not! I was extremely disappointed that they could be that rude and that they found this funny.Special Features:
- First time back in at leastTylerDined on 5/9/2009First time back in at least 5 years, maybe more. Food, service, and wine list were great. Our server had been there for a few years and it showed - he was quite good. Wine is cellar'd but the Meritage we had was a tad warm - though still very good. The only negative was the amount of noise in the room. It was a busy evening with (3) graduations from area schools - so celebration was in the air. Overall we enjoyed the experience and certainly will return!Special Features:
- Our waiters were very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2009Our waiters were very nice and did a good job of giving us great service but also letting us eat and enjoy the food at a slow pace. The food was fabulous and we enjoyed every bite!