The Sole Proprietor
118 Highland St.
Worcester, MA 01609Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Sole Proprietor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesole.com/
- Phone: 508-798-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Non-Summer Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm Hours subject to change for holidays; please call to confirm hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wong/Brian Flagg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining spaces available for both lunch and dinner and can accomodate up to 65 guests. Order off the menu or work with us to create a personalized menu to suit your budget and tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Sue Millett 5087983474
A word from The Sole Proprietor
The favorite seafood restaurant of central Massachusetts diners since 1979, The Sole Proprietor has garnered four-star reviews and many awards, including being named one of America's top 10 seafood restaurants. At The Sole, the menu is as fresh as the seafood and features seasonal dishes, as well as favorites such as Seafood Sauté, Tuna Steak Barcelona, Seafood Alfredo, and Haddock with Lobster Newburg. Featuring a fresh Raw Bar and Sushi menu, Happy Hours, Late Night and show specials. Close to the DCU Center, Mechanics Hall, Hanover Theatre and Worcester Art Museum.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Sole Proprietor - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The Sole Proprietor reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (167)fit for foodies (125)neighborhood gem (101)good for groups (95)notable wine list (79)vibrant bar scene (74)great for lunch (67)romantic (59)hot spot (56)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- "sole" of the worcester groupBGBostonVIPDined on 6/28/2014Worcester Restaurant group has 3 stores that keep us going west on a regular basis. The Sole Proprietor is my favorite of the 3. Great portions, great food, great service and fair prices. It is hard not to order starters but you may not be able to finish dinner if you do. The Maître' D told me the Tuna sashimi was very good and he wasn't kidding. Extra rare with Killer wasabi , this was the best ahi tuna I have ever been served outside of sashimi in Japanese restaurants. Beet salad was very tasty albeit more salad than beets. the other meals were all very good.....but the Tuna warranted its own review!Special Features:
- Great DinnerCBGBSSDined on 6/28/2014Many interesting choices are available at this Seafood oriented restaurant. We can recommend it and would return. High energy crowded place with great accomodating service. We had the Haddock with Lobster Newburg which was excellent along with the Seafood Saute (lobster, scallops and shrimp) which was also excellent. Hatts off to the kitchen crew. No room for dessert and the Spanish coffees were a good ending to a satisfying experience.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 6/28/2014Party of 4 and each enjoyed their meal. Excellent preparation and spicing. Front staff and wait staff very professional and attentive!Special Features:
- We just keep going backCodyRFDined on 6/27/2014This is the best seafood you will get in worcester and the surrounding area. Large portions, great service, great selection.Special Features:
- Quality seems to be going downLvanGoDined on 6/24/2014The last couple times we have eaten at Sole we have been disappointed in the food. Most of the fish and seafood items have been over cooked and the other aspects of the dish not very special for the price you pay. As always the staff is pretty great and if you manage to get seated in one of the quieter rooms the ambience is rather nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Choice!MikeDined on 6/24/2014After over 20 since visiting last, The Sole Propeietor is still an excellent choice to dine when in the Worcester area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sole reviewReviewDined on 6/21/2014- sushi was mediocre, rice over cooked or not fresh - food was under seasoned - entrees were good - service with two servers very confusing- constantly asking if we've gotten this or thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We lucked out that this week was lobsterfest! Lots of creative entrees and appetizers featuring lobster.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Jim and Yuri were fabulous and we will request them when we go again. Going to make it a tradition to at least go again every year on our anniversary plus a few times in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood MeccaFinedinemstrDined on 6/20/2014If you are looking for great seafood and don't mind a noisy restaurant then be sure you experience this delightful gem. The food is superb and the drink selection is very impressive. The seafood platter included Lobster, Mussels, Clams/Oysters on half shell and was magnificent. The service could have been better however, the restaurant was packed on a weekend night. Aside from the noise level, the only improvement I would recommend is to improve the waiting area so it is not cramped for patrons waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfoodloverDined on 6/17/2014The service was great and the food was incredibly good plenty of selections on the wine list. The noise was a bit much but that was mainly from an obnoxious person seated behind us. I would highly recommend the sole proprietor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day delight!!KayBDined on 6/15/2014Great choice of restaurant to celebrate Father's Day with the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Wonderful ServiceJustineDined on 6/15/2014The Sole always comes through with fresh seafood prepared beautifully. Interesting cocktails, an extensive wine list, and good beer choices. We went there with a group of 8 for a birthday on Father's Day. The place was packed. The wait staff must have been zonked, but they were lovely, attentive, and warm. It's a bit pricey for us, so we don't go very often, but it is always excellent when we do go. Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!FoodiewestDined on 6/14/2014Terrific food - shrimp tacos, swordfish, scallops & shrimp dish. Ate at the bar, Mark was great - made my special order swordfish happen; one of the best Old Fashioned I've ever had and very helpful with the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YoungerDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great lunchjimbocu70Dined on 6/12/2014We had an excellent lunch celebrating a colleague's birthday; the Sole is routinely excellent. A group of us were also there for dinner last saturday night, and enjoyed ourselves immensely.Special Features:
- Best local seafood restaurant!Crazy4CrabLegsDined on 6/11/2014Best seafood restaurant in Worcester! Always fresh and always delicious! Been there a million times and have yet to have a less than wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As rememberedjpl67Dined on 6/10/2014While not having the opportunity to go to "The Sole" in awhile I decided to take my wife there for our 25th Anniversary. We received the table we requested, had a wonderful meal complete with special wishes on our dessert plate for our anniversary. This restaurant knows how to treat their customers, has a great stafff and wonderful food choices. We can't wait to have a chance to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceAmbroseDined on 6/7/2014Great food and service -- busy, moderately noisy, pricy. But definitely a great place for a special lunch or dinner. Make reservations to avoid long wait on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Seafood? Go to The SolebiggakoDined on 6/7/2014The first thing you notice about The Sole Proprietor is the tastefully appointed nautical theme of the restaurant. It is a very comfortable atmosphere especially for that special dinner night out. Next is the menu with many dishes that are unusual and intriguing. The kitchen staff is top notch so you cannot go wrong with any choice. The specials are always creative and delicious. Finally I have to mention the wait staff. Their expedience, accuracy and product knowledge are surpassed solely by their sunny dispositions. They work in teams of two even when servicing a table for two. This means that one of your servers is always near by if you need them and they both know what the other is doing for you at any given moment. They must have ESP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetheSoleDined on 6/6/2014Enjoyable dinner, food was delicious and the service was outstanding. We had dinner, salad and dessert....tulip dessert was as always the best choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!SharonDined on 6/6/2014Dining at the Sole is always a pleasure. You can count on great food and service, and you get what you pay for. Will continue to keep going back.Special Features:
- Best Swordfish EntreePhillyDawgDined on 6/5/2014Fantastic swordfish special, perfectly grilled with a tasty salsa topping over succotash mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/4/2014Food was delicious. Large menu. Service by the "wait team" was excellent and friendly. Crowded for a Wednesday night. Strongly recommend it for the full evening. Take your time and enjoy.Special Features:
- Great spot for seafood in WorcesterAdderley3CVIPDined on 6/2/2014This restaurant offers tops shelf service and food to the seafood lovers of greater Worcester. The menu offers the chef's creative expressions of fresh fish and more to satisfy most every diner. The staff is attentive and helpful and won't let you leave without offering a smile. Wine list is good and diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed......KateKDined on 6/2/2014Not the best night I've had in terms of dining at The Sole. We've had much better! Appetizers were better than dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsselllikeagirlDined on 5/31/2014great food, great service, great energy…what else can I say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yanniDined on 5/31/2014Easy to get to, parking lot adjacent. Seated right away. Staff all upbeat pleasant. Food great from apps all the way through. Selection of seafood varied, something for everyoneSpecial Features:
- Good food. Good serviceLuvgoodfoodDined on 5/30/2014We were seated promptly upon arrival. Wait staff was very good and attentive. Food was very good. This is about the only place in the area that has King Crab legs on the menu. They were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowSnowbirdDined on 5/30/2014New I would be back as soon as I walked in the door. The place has all the qualities of a great restaurant which are being compromised in others that are lowering their standards and reputation. Has everything you would expect in a great place to dine and more. Can't wait to go back.sSpecial Features:
- MimiDined on 5/29/2014Once again we had a great meal! We asked for a certain table and were happy to find it available. Everyone was fantastic and the fantastic! Will be there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014Excellent dining, excellent food, service was superb and very friendly. Had a great time can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/201415 years since last visit yet the food and service was as good, if not better, than we remembered. Great place for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Always a standout.DownthesquareDined on 5/22/2014What can you say about the Sole that has not been said before. Neighborhood, city gem with consistent seafood offerings served perfectly. Lunch is a great time to try different choices at better than dinner prices. Bacon wrapped chipotle honey scallops were a big hit. Love those seafood tacos! They simply do it right.Special Features:
- The following 1467 reviews are from the The Sole Proprietor reviews archive.
- Wonderful Menu and WaitstaffAlexisDined on 5/18/2014Upon our first time dining at the Sole we felt we had all of our expectations met. The staff was wonderful overall, attentive and helpful. The food was perfect on all levels, served timely, fresh tasting, tender beyond belief and cooked perfectly. Our drinks were NEVER empty, which is a common gripe while dining out. I do not like begging for a refill. The early evening was bustling with graduation parties and celebrations, it made for an entertaining and enjoyable atmosphere. The night was busy but the staff was plentiful and available. We will surely be back for dinner again.Special Features:
- Outstanding Seafood RestaurantLarryDined on 5/18/2014First time eating there but definitely won't be my last! Outstanding in every respect --best seafood I ever had. "Legal" times 3!! Our server Randy was outstanding and very attentive making us feel like we were his only table that night--a night that was quite busy due to WPI's graduation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GraduationGraduateDined on 5/18/2014Brought my family here for my graduation and we were all very satisfied. My mom hadn't had trout in a long time and it is one of her favorites from when she was a girl, and she was very excited that it was on the menu, even moreso that it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Sole Proprietor ReviewxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 5/16/2014Parking assistant helpful and polite. Waiter (John) knowledgeable, friendly, and knew when to interact. Din was that of a rock concert, but expected considering the day, time (Saturday/ 7pm) and weekend (local college graduation) Booth (room behind the check-in desk) was narrow and uncomfortable for the other couple. My entre (Artic Char) was well prepared and the Guinness was served after the appropriate time to pour and allow the brew to settle. Bottom line: I'll always return, but perhaps with ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodab11Dined on 5/14/2014Worcester's premier seafood restaurant! The menu is extensive and the food is superbly prepared and served by teams of waiters/waitresses who enjoy being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in WorcesterTerryTDined on 5/11/2014Foot food, great variety, noise level was a little loud. Good service, price is high but you have to pay to get good qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.