Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
Market Square North, 401 9th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.socialreformbar.com/
- Phone: 2023931300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: Open 5:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Social Reform Kitchen & Bar offers 6 private dining rooms seating up to 300 guests. All of our private dining rooms feature independent lighting and ambient music which may be adjusted to suit your special event. For our private dining rooms, Social Reform offers hors d'ouevres, breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Contact Cristina Cravedi at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 393-1300 for more information.
- Special Events: Our "Private Caucus Rooms" offers 6 private dining rooms seating up to 300 guests. All of our private dining rooms feature independent lighting and ambient music which may be adjusted to suit your special event.
A word from Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room)
Whether it is a fine, hand cut USDA prime steak, fresh local seafood, one of our now famous bipartisan burgers, or just a quick bite in our bar before a show at the Verizon Center, Social Reform Kitchen and Bar provides a unique and energetic destination in Penn Quarter. A diverse menu features not only inspired modern American entrees. But small plates, salads and sandwiches in an elegant yet relaxed dining room. An imaginative menu theme using politically inspired names for many of the dishes plays on the bipartisan history of the restaurant. Our Private Caucus Rooms are for groups of 8-300. These rooms are perfect for any type of gathering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Social Reform Kitchen & Bar (fka The Caucus Room) reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great food and ambiance.CaptainBillDined on 9/21/2012Great food and ambiance. The bar looked impressive. Service was terrific. Attentive but not intrusive. Food was priced well.Special Features:
- Just average, skip it.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2012Seems to be in transition, the place was empty during lunchtime on a weekday, not a good sign. Service was very polite but uneven, we wouldn't see a waiter for long stretches but then one after the other would ask us if we needed more drinks or desert, so we found ourselves sending them away repeatedly. Food was reasonably priced and portions were ample, but just of average preparation. The crab and scallop cake appetizer was bland and the steak was overcooked and missing its sauce. Fries were unseasoned and overcooked as well. It's a nice looking and relaxed place, perfect for business lunches or quiet dinners, but underwhelming service and bland food are its undoing. Skip it.Special Features:
- When I made reservation, itFriendVIPDined on 9/4/2012When I made reservation, it was for the Caucas Room. When I arrived, everything was the same except for the menu and the name. I was the lone diner. I ordered a burger because I did not see anything else familiar to order. Totally not the place I know. The burger was the POTUSA. A burger they say President Obama order and was named for him. Great Burger, Great President. It will be a long time before I made reservations again at this new restaurant.
- I heard that Chef Janis McLeanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012I heard that Chef Janis McLean had moved to Caucus Room and that was enough to make me want to return to a place I hadn't visited for a while. We ate at the bar and had a great light lunch. The Bibb Salad was light and refreshing. The angry shrimp with crab had a great kick and was a tremendous bargain for all the food you got. And the succotash was perfectly done. The wine list is ample with good lunch pricing and I noticed Lagunitas on tap, my favorite beer. We had a delicious dessert. Glad that the new design is more open and friendly. Much nicer atmosphere.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2012We had a wonderful time dining at The Caucus room Aug 19, 2012. I would definately dine again at this restaurant the atmoshere was great and the food excellent.Special Features:
- Caucus Room, Words can notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2012Caucus Room, Words can not express the gratification of this restaurant. From the moment we walked in the door, the customer service was over the top and the most accommodating. The variety that we had to choose from was Great... The waitress was very attentive and helpful. Caucus Room always a winner!!!Special Features:
- the food was great and thOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2012the food was great and th ewine pairings we got with the resturant week special were great however when it came time to settle the bill, we were very disappointed. We were all overcharged $10 and one of us was charged alsmot the entire check on one card, it was extremely disapointing to say the least.Special Features:
- Over priced. Cool decorations.JoedinerVIPDined on 8/15/2012Over priced. Cool decorations. Food is ok.Our Waitress had no idea about the drinks offered. The place is ok but not overly special.
- My husband and I tried TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2012My husband and I tried The Caucus Room as part of Restaurant Week. We were thrilled with the food, the service, and the atmosphere! The bar portion of the restaurant - The Social Reform - was also spectacular.Special Features:
- Caucus Room Lunch - A Nice OptionStephanieDined on 8/3/2012I recently went to the Caucus Room for lunch and enjoyed the steak salad. It really has a steak on it, not some thin sliced slivers that most restaurants give you. I would definitely go back for that. The dessert I chose those was somewhat disappointing - the carmel lava cake was a bit tough and dry. The lemon bread pudding desert though that my friend chose was a yummy winner.I know it's got a bit of a stuffy reputation, but if you want a nice place to talk and actually hear yourself, and the tables aren't on top of each other, this is a really nice place to go.Special Features:
- Overdone steak!KittyVIPDined on 7/27/2012Ordered steak and all 3 were over cooked. When brought to waiters attention he did little to rectify basically told us to cut deeper into steak. This made no difference. Good beer selection.
- Great food & service, but salad?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2012Great location, especially for a business lunch. Menu is great, but know that the one posted online may not sync up directly with the menu offered that day. If you are getting a salad, I recommend that you ask what type of lettuce/greens it is based on. My salad was on iceberg that was virtually all white and translucent -- not appealing to the eye or the palate! Service is fantastic. Location is very convenient.Special Features:
- Good service and good food--wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2012Good service and good food--would expect nothing less.Special Features:
- Food was very good. StrangelyPamelaVIPDined on 7/21/2012Food was very good. Strangely though we were not actually seated In the caucus room but instead in the more casual restaurant. It was fine with us and the food was great but it was interestingSpecial Features:
- Lemon Cake Top Pudding is AMAZING!DCFoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2012Lunch (hangar steak and fries) was very good. Our server was attentive (he even adjusted the A/C when he saw us shivering!), friendly and professional. The Lemon Cake Top Pudding was the most amazing dessert I've ever tasted. Yummy! We'll be back, if only to have that dessert once more. TWO THUMBS UP!Special Features:
- Good steaks but a bit smallOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2012Good steaks but a bit small for the price. Wine list is very limited and there are no notable selections.
- Shrimp appetizer was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2012Shrimp appetizer was great but the steaks were not cooked as we ordered. Had to send them back twice and they still were not right. From what we heard from some locals later is that the place has gone downhill and wasn't what it used to be. Wish we would have known that before spending over $200 there!
- Excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2012Excellent service and food. Not really a fan of charred steaks that much but presentation was excellent. Recommend trying the assorted gilatos and sorbets dessert.Special Features:
- Nice, elegant feel to theSnowmaDined on 6/30/2012Nice, elegant feel to the place. My salad was outstanding! Both of my friends had a salad and another appetizer, instead of an entree. They were very pleased with their selections. I had a filet and unfortunately, I was less than thrilled. It had a half-inch charred crust on both sides, which I do not care for. Our waiter was very attentive and pleasant and got us out quickly, as per our request. I will probably go there again - just not order the filet!Special Features:
- The Caucus Room never dissappointsRegiVIPDined on 6/29/2012The Caucus Room never dissappoints and this is one of my favorite places. They even went to so far as to cook a dish that was no longer on the menu. Now that's great service!Special Features:
- Pretheater gemHungryVIPDined on 6/27/2012Impeccable service and innovative menu. The grilled calamari were fantastic. The regular dinner menu offered excellent variety, though we opted for the inventive "restoration menu," to try the crab and scallop cakes with tasty sauce and salad. The desserts were divine: caramel lava cake and lemon cake top pudding, both with wonderful home made gelato.Special Features:
- What, No Meat??OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/23/2012Had been there before on business and enjoed it. Went back for a special occasion with family. This time the service was unorganized although the two girls covering the entire room were trying their best. When we went to order we were informed that they were out of three (of four) of their signature steaks. How can a steak house be out of steaks on a Saturday night?? The bottle of wine was not served properly. This place has gone down hill a lot in a couple of years. There are plenty of other options in DC.
- We were not impressed. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2012We were not impressed. We both ordered the NY strip; the server said they were out of it, so we each ordered a ribeye, yet when the steaks arrived, my wife received... wait for it: the strip. (She was told that it actually was a "ribeye" b/c it was the "end of the loin." GTFOH.) I, on the other hand, got a ribeye that was 70% Prime... fat. We ordered the seasonal vegatables (green beans); they were out of them, so we got asparagus. Then we were told that they did have them. We ordered a Shiraz/Grenache; they were out of it, so we got a Zin. When the bill arrived, I told them, "I'm out of money."
- On our recent vacation toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012On our recent vacation to Washington, we decided on the Caucus Room for our romantic meal (as is our tradition for each vacation we go on). It was a great decision! It was quiet, the service was attentive, and the food was phenomenal. The wine selection was great, and it was definitely a great place for a very nice (albeit, expensive) meal!Special Features:
- The Caucus Room paired withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2012The Caucus Room paired with The Shakespeare Theatre to offer a special dinner discount for ticket holders a while back and we have been regular pre-theatre diners there ever since. Our waiter now knows our drinks orders and we have been asked not just the usual, "How is your entre," but also our opinion of new menu selections. We get a table at 6:15 on Shakespeare Theatre Fridays which gives us plenty of time for appetizers through coffee and deserts. They cook my 8-oz. filet correctly every time. And the clam chowder special this week is to die for. The wait staff don't wear name tags and I keep forgetting to ask names but we all know each other by sight. I'll ask when we are there pre-"Merry Wives".Special Features:
- New FanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012I really enjoyed the food at the Caucus Room and the way the bartender served and accommodated us. That was awesome! I just wish we had been informed that the dining room would be closed when we made our 2:15 p.m. reservation. Not a big deal - we enjoyed a table close to the bar, and again, the bartender was a wonderful server. Just would have been nice to avoid having the host tell us "uh...our dining room is closed...but you can sit at the bar..." when we had a reservation on the books. Anyway, the food at the Caucus Room is a surprising blend of comfort food and upscale, classy American. I am a big fan!Special Features:
- I had a very nice lunch yesterdayrobertadcVIPDined on 5/24/2012I had a very nice lunch yesterday at The Caucus Room. Over all, the menu was a bit pricey, but the food was very good, and the service was excellent. My friend and I had a lot to talk about and after we informed the wait staff of this, they adjusted everything to our pace. We just about opened the restaurant and were the last to leave. But I never felt that we were rushed, and we had a wonderful relaxing time.Special Features:
- My family and I had a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2012My family and I had a fabulous post-graduation dinner here. The service was incredible and the food and beverages were delicious. Our only minor complaint was the oysters rockefeller were not at all like traditional oysters rockefeller -- these were removed from the shell, breaded and fried, and then put on a bed of spinach in a cream sauce.Special Features:
- Haven't been in awhile andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2012Haven't been in awhile and a little disappointing. They only had one bartender on so we had to fight over people sitting at the bar for a drink. Noticed the name change to accomadate the happy hour crowd, so they need more the one tending bar. Long time waiters were gone and so was the personality of the place we enjoyed. Food was good but not special. We were there on a thursday night and there was not maney diners.
- I have been here for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012I have been here for dinner and for lunch. The restaurant is beautiful. The burgers for lunch are out of this world and the fries best I've ever had! They did allow my teenagers to order burgers for dinner. And the steak....fantastic!!!Special Features:
- Birthday Surprises Not AllowedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2012I wrote a note to the restaurant via OpenTable requesting a birthday dessert or another type of birthday surprise (I said I was open to whatever the restaurant could offer). No one from the restaurant contacted me to confirm either way, so I thought it was going to happen. I dropped hints to the waiter by pointing out that it was his birthday when the waiter checked his ID (and didn't notice on his own that we were dining on his actual birthday), but, at the end of the meal, he gave us dessert menus. My boyfriend looked puzzled - he assumed I would've planned a birthday dessert. It was a little embarrassing. The food was delicious, but I was disappointed in the customer service. I would've purchased a cake on my own if I had known.Special Features:
- UnderstatedObguyDined on 5/6/2012Very quiet evening, which given that other places in town where booked solid it gives you pause. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and the meals was very good and portion size was just right. Certainly pricey, but so are most eateries in the DC area.
- My wife and I had an amazingstrongman002Dined on 5/4/2012My wife and I had an amazing dinner while out on date night. Service and food was outstanding. Based on the location, level of service and sofistication of the food I would say that this was reasonablied prices.Special Features:
- They revamped their menu fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2012They revamped their menu from my last visit but my selections (salmon burger, calamari & crab cakes for the table) were unimpressive.
- Not as good as it was forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/14/2012Not as good as it was for restaurant week winter 2012. Food was more bland. Service a touch less attentive (possibly just not as good of a waiter this time around). Still a decent experience but when paying full price I expected better than when ordering from a prix fixe menu.
- WISH WE HAD GONE TO CAPITOL GRILLOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/1/2012bread served at the table was warm on top and frozen on the bottom. butter was frozen as well and not spreadable. steak was actually very good and prepared to our liking. sides were good as well, the asparagus and potato fries. ordered the lava caramel cake which we anticipated to have a warm runny center. turned out the cake was cold and the center was coagulated. ordered an irish and nutty coffee both of which were cold. never had a cold dessert coffee. asked the waiter for warm coffee to heat up our coffee's and he pour more coolLcoffee into the drinks which made them less then potable as evident by the full mugs we left behind. all of this for 165.00. WOW with prices and food so not edible, capitol grill would be the better choice
- Food and service were fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012Food and service were fantastic while the prices were equal to the value.Special Features:
- What should have ended upHopsVIPDined on 3/30/2012What should have ended up as an overall enjoyable experience was ruined in the end by the belligerent host/owner refusing to honor a parking arrangement made with Ford's theatre. He displayed little customer service acumen in dealing with the situation which surprised me given the acclaim of this restaurant. However, the food was very good but I won't be back next time I visit the theatre.
- The convenience of free parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012The convenience of free parking within walking distance of Ford's Theatre was the greatest draw, but now that we've been there, we would go again anyway. We were greeted warmly, seated in a very nice area, and served quickly, but not rushed. It was the perfect place to dine before the theatre.
- Did not have many items onhilltopVIPDined on 3/9/2012Did not have many items on menu or options to change...