Joseph Ambler Inn
1005 Horsham Road
North Wales, PA 19454Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Joseph Ambler Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephamblerinn.com/
- Phone: (215) 362-7500x
- Hours of Operation:
***Please note that requests for outdoor dining on Friday and Saturday Nights may not be available until 6:30 or 7:00pm***
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lite Lunch Served in the Bar Only-Saturday and Sunday Noon-4:00PM-please call for reservations
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Blackney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant Weddings, Business Dinners, Rehearsal Dinners, Anniversaries & Birthdays, Holiday Parties, Intimate Fireside Receptions
- Private Party Contact: Wendi Terlecky 2155650139x
- Entertainment: Piano every Friday & Saturday Evening
A word from Joseph Ambler Inn
Tucked away on 12 acres of lawns & gardens, the Joseph Ambler Inn is the ideal setting for a truly exceptional dining experience. Featuring award winning contemporary American cuisine & an extensive wine list. The Dining room is located in the renovated stone barn & features hardwood floors, exposed stone walls, & historic ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Joseph Ambler Inn - Best Restaurants in North Wales ›
Joseph Ambler Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (61)special occasion (54)romantic (52)scenic view (33)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (22)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- NostalgiaVivaldiVIPDined on 2/16/2014Joseph Ambler is a step back in time, in a very good way. It's like being transported back to the 18th century but with all the amenities and the haute cuisine of the 21st. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmosphereCaroleDined on 2/15/2014We have eaten there a few times and it is outstanding. The food is incredible and the service is great and friendly. Very expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Food was excellent and atmosphere was perfect for a romantic night out. Noise level was at a great level, able to have conversation without having to deal with background noise. Overall a great place for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Slippingsknowlton3Dined on 2/14/2014The Joseph Ambler Inn has been a Valentine's Day tradition for us for several years. We are noticing that the quality and ambiance is slipping. This year, we were seated in what seemed like a converted banquet hall. If you're looking for a romantic setting, it was awful. The older portions of the building are where you want to be. The service of wait staff and hostesses remains impeccable and of the highest caliber. The food was decidedly average and a drop-off from previous years, and it took forever for it to get to the table. Perhaps it was all the east coast snowstorms leaving them short-staffed or high expectations established from prior years' excellent experiences, but this most recent visit was disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DisappointmentFoodie71Dined on 2/14/2014My other half and I have dined out at many restaurants in Center City and the suburbs. We selected the Joseph Ambler Inn for Valentine's Day in search of a place with quaint ambiance and excellent food. While we didn't take advantage of the bar area, I commented that it looked really cozy and nice - definitely the kind of bar we would love to have a glass of wine at. The atmosphere was very nice and service was given with a smile. The food, however, was quite disappointing for the price. The steak came out done differently than requested. We actually sent it back (which we never do). The lobster tail was dry. The venison sauce was good but the meat was dry. In the future we'll stick the bar and appetizers if we are there.Special Features:
- Valentine Surprise!VdaystudDined on 2/14/2014Wanted to take my wife out to a place we had never been to before, we were not disappointed. Very good service, solid quality of food and a nice wine list. We will definitely go back. Piano player was playing all our favorite songs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined at Joseph AmblerMallshopperDined on 2/8/2014We have dined at Joseph Ambler Inn on several occasions. All of our visits have been very pleasant. The restaurant has a cozy atmosphere especially this time of year. The food and service were very good. The waitstaff is also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2014My wife and I are at JAI this weekend and it was the best meal we've had in years. We had the rack of lamb and the sea bass and both were to die for. There was a live pianist playing and it was overall just a wonderful meal! Our server was delightful as well. Everyone should try this place! I cannot say enough good about our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruined the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/7/2014No exaggeration, at least 5 times I had to flag down one of the efficient busboys to find our missing-in-action server. We couldn't order a second drink when our dinners were delivered to the table, we had to wait at least 20 minutes with the dessert menu sitting in front of us before the hostess had to take our order. The excuse was "your waitress is busy with a larger party in the back room". Totally inappropriate. What kind of response is that. The hostess comp'd our dessert and initial drink order, which was kind, but didn't sour the taste in our mouths. Never again...now I remember why I haven't been there in a couple of years. the service always did blow.
- Still a gemClarkebarDined on 1/31/2014When in the greater Philly area, my wife and I like to book an overnighter at Joseph Ambler using Groupon Coupon deals. It is an hour drive or so Northeast of where we usually visit at Longwood Gardens or even Winterthur but the Inn accommodations are very nice and the restaurant is a treat. Our latest trip in however could not recreate what we had experienced previously but still came very close. The dinner for both of us was the Chilean Sea Bass which previously was one of the finest meals we have ever eaten out. We both believe the bed of Risotto with English pea is a change from our previous trips but still delicious. Our only knock --- this time for some reason the bread girl gave only one slice apiece and never returned to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joseph Ambler InnCraigDined on 1/30/2014Excellent dining experience, overall. Great food, service, and ambiance. The setting is beautiful, with historic buildings, an attached B&B, and beautiful grounds. Excellent for a special occasion. Not for the budget conscious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSpiceymeg77VIPDined on 1/19/2014We have dined here several times and all occasions we have had outstanding food and service. They never rush us and we have enjoyed romantic dinners for 2 and also dinner with friends. We love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceKathyDined on 1/19/2014Although your reputation preceeding our dining experience, we were all very much pleased with everything your establisment has to offer. Our service was remarkable, the food delicious and we hope to return soon. I will highly recommend Joseph's Ambler Inn and look forward to coming in the warmer weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Room/ Poor Dining ServiceRobgDined on 1/18/2014This was our second visit to the Jospeh Ambler Inn. Loved our first visit in 2013. This visit on January 18th was great, other than the dining experience at the Inn. Had very poor waitress, with horrible service and a poor seating experience. The waitress was not friendly at all,she gave us horrible service, and our table was uneven, and in a very small room. This dining experience left a very bad taste to our second experience at the Jospeh Ambler Inn. We had very good waiter and dining experience on our first visit.We hope if we return that our dining experience will be much better. I will make sure to say something if this happens again.We loved the Wolfe Room so much on our first visit, we booked the same room is visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperiencewinnieDined on 1/18/2014Joseph Ambler Inn is a special place that should not bes aved for only special occasions. The setting is charming, just beautiful. The interior is old world - just lovely. I would go there more often if they offered a little more on the menu. What I have eaten there thus far has been very, very good. I think the decor is wonderful except it could use a little softening - a little warming up. But, I'm being fussy - after all it is a farmhouse. it's a great restaurant overall.Special Features:
- out of characterwskenVIPDined on 1/17/2014Service was haphazard. Venison was undercooked . Waitress forgot what coffees were ordered. Must have been an outlier. Will try again. Was always good in the pastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendedemtgal345Dined on 1/15/2014The Joseph Ambler Inn was spectacular. It was our first time there and I was very happy with everything about the place. We went here for our birthday. The food was excellent. This is a special occasion place only for us. It is pricey but WELL worth it. Will go back again sometime in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday dinnerBethoutandaboutDined on 1/6/2014My husband really enjoys the restaurant at the Joseph Ambler Inn. We have dined both in the bar and in the main dining room with friends. It was a very quiet Monday evening. Service is always excellent. Food very good but a little expensive so we usually only dine here a couple times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites! BeautifulMaryDined on 12/31/2013One of our favorites! Beautiful decor and setting, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, very quiet,Terry26Dined on 12/26/2013Food was excellent, very quiet, not crowded together around the table,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!!CathyDined on 12/21/2013We were looking for a good place to go for dinner on a Saturday. The ease of making a reservation online was great. I could pick the time I wanted which was wonderful. I got a confirmation immediately and the Joseph Ambler Inn called me to confirm, which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful restaurantVickiBDined on 12/21/2013I love the Joseph Ambler Inn. The food and service it wonderful and you can't beat the atmosphere. Cozy and comfortable, especially around the Holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grounds and building wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013Grounds and building were pretty, a little stuffy but ambience was nice however food was overpriced and mediocre at best.
- A place to rememberArnowDined on 12/18/2013The buildings are beautiful the food was very good, a little pricey but good for special occasions. Need to do something with their parking lots, very messy in rainy or snowy weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business MeetingbeakenridgeDined on 12/17/2013The menu excellent and the layout of the room was good. However the temperature could have been warmer as the room was a bit drafty. Staff was great.Special Features:
- beautiful restaurantDianek1Dined on 12/17/2013Joseph Ambler Inn is a charming, warm, beautiful place to gather with friends or have a romantic dinner. I went with 4 friends for a holiday gathering. The server was good - she left us alone to catch up and was only around when we needed her. My only issue is that she never came by after the food was served to see if we were satisfied. Three of us got the lobster roll. All 3 of us were disappointed, and one lady couldn't eat it. She said it was salty and had too much tarragon in it, Who puts tarragon in a lobster roll? I didn't like the strong taste of tarragon, though I ate mine. The server took her meal off the bill. I will go back there, though I may stick with more regional fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return soonOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/6/2013Have been wanting to try the place for a while. Finally made a reservation and were happy we did. Really nice atmosphere with classic decor. Service was prompt and friendly. Tried the pre-fix which was very tasty. Both the fish and beef were nicely cooked and seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummycommamommaDined on 12/4/2013Great lunch - asparagus/gouda omelet was outstanding. Lovely setting.. Great service.Special Features:
- Great overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013My group was on the Historic House Tour, and after learning about JAI, it was a treat to eat at the trestaurant. Our party was seated promptly, the service was good, the food was fresh and delicious. I already want to return for dinner, and I think that most of my group would come back.Special Features:
- Joseph Ambler Inn offers consistentOttoReveiwerDined on 11/29/2013Joseph Ambler Inn offers consistently outstanding food and service in a setting with quaint classy ambience. Great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Very Dissapointed for ThanksgivingMelRayKyDined on 11/28/2013Very Dissapointed for Thanksgiving Buffet They had only Turkey Breast . Hello its Thanksgiving I only eat Dark Meat. The stuffing my absolute favorite thing to eat was a bag thrown into a pan,with hot water with a few mushrooms sprinked on top Definitley not a gourmet experience, Beautiful Abience , Staff great other food & dessert was okay not greatSpecial Features:
- Solid, standard, decentDelicatepastaDined on 11/28/2013The food was decent and the selection was good. Nothing gourmet or exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplurgeDavibran2Dined on 11/23/2013We stayed and had dinner for our wedding anniversary. The food was amazing. The prices are a little high but this is more upscale than our typical dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodJoelVIPDined on 11/23/2013We've dined here 2 times in the past year and tried different entrees each time. The food is consistently good. However, the service is a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!TOTfromBucksDined on 11/9/2013A wonderful evening and fine dining. Excellent food and a good price point. Super ambiance. Will recommend this place to all of my friends.Special Features:
- Great for that Special MealTenorBobDined on 11/9/2013Very nice place on their own 10+ acres of land. The restaurant is located in a farm house. Great ambiance. Very good food. They have an Inn located on the premises. We went for a special birthday and had a great time!!Special Features:
- The restaurant was charming,SultanDined on 11/5/2013The restaurant was charming, the food delicious & our waitress was fabulous. There were 6 of us and many asked for substitutions with their meal and there were no problems with doing that. They gave the birthday girl a free birthday cake. It was a lovely dining experience. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great ambiance and locationdfc9258VIPDined on 11/2/2013We went out to dinner with some close friends at the JAI and we were celebrating a birthday. Drinks were served in the lounge which is comfortable and relaxing and we had a nice time relaxing and chatting. Drinks were ok, not great but we weren't disappointed. The ambiance of the restaurant is elegantly rustic. It almost has a colonial feel to it and I wouldn't be surprised if this restaurant was on some historical registry somewhere. Dinner was good, but not great. We had the lamb, steat and pheasant and all were tasty, but nothing was seasoned well and they all seemed a bit bland. Our server was just so-so. Not especially friendly or ourgoing, she didn't seem to want to be there and we didn't get a great vibe from her.Special Features:
- Great nightfoxyDined on 10/26/2013Rich Allman continues to maintain a wonderful establishment - it is located in a lovely park-like setting, with wonderful food, very classy and polite servers, great ambience, wonderful piano player - Can never say enough positive words about this place which is consistently terrific!Special Features:
- small portions for the pricesneighborDined on 10/26/2013small portions for the prices I had Amish chicken couldn't really tell the difference from Amish and regular chicken but the rest of my party had the filet and they said it was good, we had sea scallops for our appetizers and they were very saltySpecial Features: