495 Laurel Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hexagonerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192360467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, coktail reception, or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding Hexagone Catering, call Patrick at 619-236-0467
- Private Party Facilities: Let us work with you to create the perfect experience for your special event. Special party menus are available. Hexagone is a unique French Restaurant featuring classic and contemporary French cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Halcewicz 6192360467
A word from Hexagone
With a name referring to the six-sided shape of France, Hexagone offers a culinary tour of that country with an extensive menu that blends traditional French dishes with updated California cuisine. Hexagone's menu is one of the largest of any French restaurant in San Diego, offering 20 appetizers and more than 20 entrees at reasonable prices. With a commitment to offering “great French food at an affordable price,” Hexagonehas staffed its kitchen with a top chef who combines his unique talents to create a menu with something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hexagone reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (83)fit for foodies (79)romantic (74)notable wine list (47)great for lunch (22)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent mealEileenDined on 7/25/2014We have dined at Hexagone several times and it has always been wonderful. Even though it is classified as French, it's entrees are creative. This was our first Friday night visit and it turned out to be very busy, which made it more noisey than usual. The service was slightly slow, but not offensive as we were enjoying a visit with friends. I recommend the field greens with blue cheese and pecans salad and either the calves liver/onions or the rib eye with blue cheese and sun dried tomatoes. Overall, the variety of entrees and appetizers as well as a reasonably priced and varied wine list are impressive. We will continue to return as it is reliable and has free parking in a nearby garage.Special Features:
- Refined atmosphere, excellent meal!Lov2dineVIPDined on 7/23/2014Just moved to area and delighted to find such a special dining experience across the street. All four of us had a different entrée, all of which were noteworthy. Short ribs are amazing! Wait staff is knowledgeable and responsive. Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French restaurant???OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Although this is supposed to be a French restaurant they did not have any Sancerre - even though it is on the menu; they did not serve pate with the charcuterie plate - even though it was on the menu and they did not offer french wine by the glass. Sorry but I won't be back.
- Before theatretibbiefanDined on 7/22/2014Great for dining before going to the Old Globe. Dinner here is always enjoyable. This time we parked in Balboa Park and walked leisurely to the restaurant (just across the bridge). The restaurant offers theatre parking. You can park in the parking structure and they will drop you off at The Old Globe and pick you up after the performance (if you dine there of course). Since we parked at the park, we were dropped off at the theatre and our car was nearby at the end. Worked great. Food and service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!meemrsdDined on 7/22/2014My husband and I went early because we were going to the Old Globe. Hexagone is a short stroll from the entrance to Balboa Park. The food was excellent and the service friendly and impeccable. This is a real gem! The menu selections are diverse, but not overwhelming. The portions are just right. I would HIGHLY recommend this delightful restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014Wonderful food-Great little bar-Excellent service-Always have dinner here whenever I am in San Diego.Special Features:
- Easy Trip to FranceMWMIVIPDined on 7/20/2014Dining at Hexagone is the next best thing to dining in France. The food is of the highest quality and expertly prepared. The service is impeccable and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasion.WaxmetaphysicsDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant would be a great spot for a romantic dinner or lunch. The atmosphere is very classy; good for conversing. The entrees were delicious, I had the mushroom ravioli and my date had the tenderloin. Both had tasted good and both had good presentation. However my only two complaints were the small size of the tenderloin and the escargot was under-seasoned. Overall the experience was good, but be prepared to shell out mucho deniros for this place.Special Features:
- OopsAnaheimVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have dined here before and it was fine. This time very bad. Our first food arrived one and a half hours after we were seated. After we asked for bread we subsisted on that for 90 minutes. No explanations were given for the delay until we asked (several times). Two signature dishes were unavailable first thing in the evening. (We found out well after we had ordered them.)Special Features:
- ElizabethVIPDined on 7/18/2014First, I was feeling really guilty about being a few minutes late for our reservation, until we stood at the hostess stand for over 5 minutes before anyone acknowledged or seated us. It was then our waiter that seated us, and never checked us in for our reservation. Service was slow, even though the restaurant was not busy. After we were finally served, we didn't see our waiter much, though he was helpful when we did see him. We wanted a slower meal and time to visit, but we felt downright ignored sometimes. My husband's water was empty on 3 different occassions. As always, the food was delicious and the ambience what we hoped for, but the service was lacking that night.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 7/18/2014Food was average . Waiter spent a whole lot of time chatting with guests at neighboring table.. Very disruptive to the enjoyment of our mealSpecial Features:
- no ambience hereluv2dineDined on 7/16/2014Went to celebrate a birthday-1.bartender ignored us and waited on friends who came in AFTER us; leaving us sitting and waiting until I went to bar. 2.Waiter had us wait forever for everything- no pepper mill with salad(those around us were offered it). 3. Had to go and get waiter when my friend wanted another glass of wine with dinner. 4. Birthday was celebrated with a candle in a glass-no asking if we wanted dessert or an offer of something to celebrate. I LOVE THEIR FOOD, but nothing else!!!!!
- Bastille Day CelebrationFriendsVIPDined on 7/14/2014Hexagone does a wonderful job with specials. July 14 they offered a Bastille Day prefix menu. The food was fabulous - my starter was Scallops cooked perfectly, the Sea Bass on a bed of spinach both perfect and finished the night with a Chocolate Bomb - best description - it is a Bomb of flavor (I could eat this every day). Sign up for Hexagons email notices - it will guarantee you hear about the specials you don't want to miss.Special Features:
- Via La France!Paris2Dined on 7/13/2014The special Bastille Day menu was perfect and very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerouterDined on 7/13/2014Wonder and relaxed atmosphere. Had a really good time. We will visit again. We were rushed; had theater tickets. The wait staff understood and got us out on time and surprise!; they provided a shuttle to the Old Globe. Will definitely return and spend more time.Special Features:
- it was OK...as a first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Not excellent fresh...despite OK. glad i use the groupon
- Our Go To Place for BirthdaysLeslieDined on 7/11/2014We love this restaurant. We often bring our own bottle of wine and pay a reasonable corkage fee, and eat like royalty! Rarely do we stray from the Braised Beef Ribs or Beef Bourguinone (sp?), but I've had their fish special a few times and it is always excellent. The bar has been discovered, and is now packed by 5:30 on weekends. They have moved a few tables outside which gives everyone more room, so that is nice for summer. Waiters are eager to please but not pretentious.Special Features:
- Very pleasedLuCasDined on 7/10/2014It was my birthday celebration, first time with a group at the Hexagone. Everything worked flawless, the pickiest of my friends had some complaints (I'm not surprised) but was nicely handled by the owner and at the end she was just as happy as I am. My beef bourguignon was out of this world! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School FrenchKevinMDined on 7/8/2014If you want Coq au Vin or Calf's liver, this is probably the go-to place in SD. Weak beer selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner before playOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/8/2014We were looking for a good alternative spot for a good dinner before going to the Old Globe. We wanted close and good. The Hexagone is both. At Fifth and Laurel, it is walking distance for many and a short drive for the rest of us. This was our second time dining here and we had great experiences both times.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return there!TasmanVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food and service were excellent!!! Highly recommended!!! First time there and will definitely be going back, many menu items we can't find in north San Diego county...Special Features:
- R and EOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2014My husband and I were very pleased to have discovered this fine restaurant. We were going to The Globe and therefore took their offer of a shuttle both to and from The Globe. This was a very nice addition and made our visit all the more delightful. We will return very soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fan - won't be returningLadybug915Dined on 7/4/2014I called ahead & clarified with Patrick that I could use my Groupon on July 4th. He said no problem but when the bill came & I presented my Groupon to our server, I got "attitude" from the waiter & he stomped off in disgust. The French onion soup was too thick & had a distinct wine taste to it. The bread that was brought to our table was stale. The service from our waiter was extremely slow. Our cocktails were weak. My top sirloin w/Bernaise was cooked to perfection. My mother enjoyed her calfs liver & onions. My mom likes to order dessert, take a few bites & then take the rest home. Well the waiter asked her "Why did you bother ordering a dessert if you weren't going to eat it?" What does it matter to him if she ate it or not? So Rude!
- Return visit perfectDaveDined on 6/29/2014We hit an off night several months ago. This return visit was great, excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recent dinnersocalsd8VIPDined on 6/28/2014We normally love going to Hexagone because the atmosphere is nice and the food is very good. On this trip the food was not up to their normal level. It was rather disappointing and our server Mark needs a few lessons in how to take care of customers.
- Good Pre-theater DiningTacitusVIPDined on 6/27/2014Hexagone is perfectly situated for a meal before a show at the Old Globe. The seafood was excellent and service was expeditious.
- One of the bestFoodmanVIPDined on 6/26/2014This is one of those places you kick yourself for not going to sooner. We had tickets for the Old Globe and ate here prior to the performance. What a wonderful dining experience. A true gem of a French restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/26/2014A totally positive experience, our first time here. New York steak and sea bass cooked perfectly. Great service. Our server was available as we needed him, and when we were ready to leave, he brought our check and then processed our card quickly. It may seem strange to mention that, but we have been to a couple of otherwise excellent restaurants lately that just don't seem to understand that when customers are ready to leave, it is because they have someplace else they need to be.Special Features:
- Not the same place anymoreGekko4321Dined on 6/25/2014Got a Groupon after checking out their prices on their web site. Showed up and saw the menu prices were 20% higher than what I saw. That is deceptive to me. $12 lobster bisque came in a tiny cup and was just creamy broth. NY strip was way too fatty. Lamb good but 4 lollipops for $34 left me hungry still. No one greeted us at the door and we stood there for ten minutes while staff moved around us. Sat down and no one came to our table for 15 minutes and the restaurant was almost empty. Used to love this place. No more.
- Great food; pleasant ambianceStJohnDined on 6/21/2014Our waiter was attentive and professional. Food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbVIPDined on 6/21/2014always friendly - varied menu - excellent food - comfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Wonderful place for dinner before going to the theater at the Old Globe. Excellent food and service. Very convenient parking (a rarity in the neighborhood). Nice to walk across the bridge into the park after dinner.Special Features:
- GreatvipsDined on 6/19/2014This has become our favorite restaurant, easy to get to and away from noisy Downtown, besides, great food to reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Fine DiningsashimiloverDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant is beautifully appointed and lends itself to fine dining. The food was well prepared, and delicious. The service was excellent and uncrushed. More European than American, we were not made to feel that we had to eat fast and leave. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualFrankVIPDined on 6/14/2014Have dined and reviewed before. A great dining experience and reasonably priced as well. I will be going back again!Special Features:
- no thank you!foodieDined on 6/13/2014Friday night confirmed dinner reservations and we waited 20 min for a table, rude staff, and to top it all they only had 2 items available on their entire appetizer menu not even French onion soup REALLY!!! ordered a vodka tonic the tonic was flat asked if they could change the tank bring a new one answer was NO! You'd think after all that they would comp our drinks or appetizers we did not want or at least a desert but NO. this place and management needs to get its act together if they're going to be in the service industry. I should have known better and gone to Mr A's Bertrand knows how to run a restaurant lesson learned. save your money skip this place and head next door to Mr A's if you want outstanding Management Food & service
- over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The waiter did not have the specials down, they charged $15 for a small plate of spinach with 3 shrimp and a mediocore dressing. $9 for a cup of lobster bisque, no lobster and then had to have them fill it as it came half empty. Flavorless. Would not recommend and would not return. It was a birthday lunch and the waiter did not even offer a souffle prior to us ordering.Special Features:
- Great service. Food underwhelming.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014The $$$ nature of this French eatery deserves a bit more delivery in the food department. Presentations were lackluster, considering the well-appointed menu. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Falls shortKerri2tjDined on 6/8/2014The service was attentive but was really disappointed when I came here to use a $100 coupon. The food was just not flavorful. The French are known for their sauces and I was just disappointed with the braised ribs....they looked great but lacked flavoring and I rarely salt my food and this meal I keep saying pass the salt shaker.Special Features:
- why botherValueshouldequalserviceDined on 6/7/2014If when you spend your money in a restaurant and you have an expectation of value then I would not go here. The bartender, host and most particular the waiter have no interest in welcoming you. The host walked us to the table, put the menu's on the table and walked away. The waiter had so many other things on his mind I am not sure why he came to work. I can't recall a time at a restaurant being so completely ignored. The restaurant was busy so there must be a fair number of people who don't care about service. But when the bill can easily top $100 I prefer some value. I will never visit again.