PassionFish - Reston VA
11960 Democracy Drive
Reston, VA 20190Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
PassionFish - Reston VA
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.passionfishreston.com/passionfish.html
- Phone: 7032303474
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Christopher Clime
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Passion Fish has a formal banquet room that will accommodate up to 50 guests seated. There is also a mezzanine level that is available for up to 70 guests. Both areas can also be configured for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Kathryn Grimes 703 230 3474
- Special Events: Special Dinners Monthly Ranging From $60 - $150 Per Guest All Inclusive Of Tax & Gratuity. Wine Dinners, Beer Dinners, Sushi & Sake Dinners, Chef Inspired Pairing Dinners - Each With Special Guests Representing The Winery, Brewery, etc.
A word from PassionFish - Reston VA
Passion Fish - Reston VA is dedicated to providing the finest quality, sustainable seafood available in an upscale/casual fine dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
PassionFish - Reston VA - Best Restaurants in Reston ›
PassionFish - Reston VA reviews from OpenTable diners
393 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (229)fit for foodies (207)neighborhood gem (123)romantic (121)great for lunch (114)great for outdoor dining (103)good for groups (96)notable wine list (89)vibrant bar scene (68)hot spot (65)great for brunch (26)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (6)Show More
- The appetizers and dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2008The appetizers and dessert were delicious, the entrees were just ok - they lacked flavor and were bland. The menu was a bit pricey. The ambiance and service were ok and we probably would have enjoyed it more, but we really felt like the service was trying too hard. We had a server basically standing next to us for the entire meal, constantly asking us if were were 'still working on that?'. I give them credit for trying to give exceptional service, but this was a bit too much and in my opinion it backfired. We felt watched the entire dinner and also felt somewhat rushed. For the price, dinner is not worth it. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
- The interior is elegant andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2008The interior is elegant and illuminated softly. Our seats were on the second floor which had large windows looking out onto the large office buildings of Reston. It may not sound like a nice view, but it was. Our waiter was kind and knowledgeable of the cuisine. We had tons of questions which he answered wonderfully. Food-It was great! I had 'Simply Salmon' which was tasty! Ma lady ordered sea scallops. They were good sized and extremely succulent and perfectly seasoned. Just watch out for the garlic salad! WOW, lots of garlic. As for the only boo boo... The waiter misunderstood our wine order and gave us a very expensive bottle. We let him know of the mistake and he quickly had his manager change the price on our bill!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious food,KenCookieVIPDined on 11/20/2008Absolutely delicious food, served beautifully. Philip was a wonderful waiter.Special Features:
- Didn't have that 3 or 4 starffxFoodieDined on 11/20/2008Didn't have that 3 or 4 star appeal. Place is still new. I won't hesitate to give them another shot.
- Bad service is probably aHoundDogsVIPDined on 11/20/2008Bad service is probably a result of being new and needing to work out the kinks. Food was great. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The food was good, but noOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2008The food was good, but no real origional dishes that I have never had before. The dessert by far was the best part of the meal. The decor was the most attractive part. Passion Fish is set up to look and feel like a cruise ship. So overall good, but not great. Definately an experience, especially with the great service.Special Features:
- All the dishes we tried wereMidsummerDined on 11/20/2008All the dishes we tried were original and delicious.
- Chef Jeff Tunks strikes again,RickGVIPDined on 11/19/2008Chef Jeff Tunks strikes again, this time close enough to home to take a taxi without paying over $30. Despite the numerous restaurants now gracing Reston Town Center and nearby Herndon, this is a welcome addition. More imaginatively prepared seafood than nearby McCormick & Schmick and more personal attention of the restaurant management, at least this night when Chef Tunks was in the kitchen.Special Features:
- ok, but a bit fussy. preferOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2008ok, but a bit fussy. prefer other reston town center restaurants
- I would try it again. I lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/19/2008I would try it again. I loved my appetizer and entree, but the dessert was not great--just ok. Would not bother with dessert on a return visit. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and I was pleased to find this new restaurant as I am a great fan of a restaurant owned by the same group. (Arcadiana--everything I have had there is imaginitive and great!)After Arcadiana I was disappointed. One of our group had Mahi-mahi and it was so dry that she left part of her lunch. The waitress did offer to replace it, but my friend decided that she did not want to wait and be eating when the rest of us were finished with lunch. No offer of any discount.The waitress, also, questioned my complaint that my cappacino was cold and insistedSpecial Features:
- The lunch menu selectionsReneeCDined on 11/19/2008The lunch menu selections were great; hard to choose; food was very good and service was friendly and knowlegable. Can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:
- I had a 9pm reservation andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2008I had a 9pm reservation and the place closes at 10p (as per their website) but there were still many patrons dining and there was no subtle rush to have them finish. As of 9:30p the chef was breaking out new cases of oysters in order to fill the order. I ordered from the Appetite Stimulus pre-fixe menu. The food was fantastic, I loved the scallops and the chocolate desert was sinfully delicious. They have an impressive selection of rieslings (not an easy find in the American restaurants). The design is very modern and the service was very good. The place just opened on Oct 28 2008, and they have a lot of competition on that block: McCormick & Schmick, M&S Grill, and some other seafood place.
- I went recently for the AppetiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2008I went recently for the Appetite Stimulus Promotion and was disappointed. Their menu was limited and it was not the best representation of their menu. My guest and I ordering over half of our meal ala carte. The quality of the food was so so. The complimentary white fish rillet was too mild-anyone who has ever visited a deli in New York would think that the spread tasted more like cream cheese with a hint of smoked white fish and horseradish and would not be fooled. The fried ipwich clams were done well, but the portion was incredibly skimpy compared to Hank's Oyster Bar. My scallops were cold and shameful compared to Corduroy, and I much prefered the branzino (a la carte). Finally dessert was ok-local bakeries have done better.
- The food was excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2008The food was excellent!! Very helpful waiter. Great complimentary appetite "teaser". One dining companion visiting from the mid-west declared it the best lunch she had ever had. The fish dishes were perfectly seasoned and delicious. Don't miss the caramel salted creme brulee!Special Features:
- Restaurant is beautiful andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/17/2008Restaurant is beautiful and food was delicious but I thought the winelist was a little pricey.Special Features:
- It's wonderful to have a branchOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/15/2008It's wonderful to have a branch of this local "chain" in Reston. The food was superb. The decor like a city restaurantSpecial Features:
- We had an incredible meal.barbVIPDined on 11/14/2008We had an incredible meal. A welcome addition to the area.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andtraveling2eatVIPDined on 11/14/2008The food was excellent and there is a good variety offered. The setting is beautiful and dramatic with the high ceiling and the balcony seating area. As you might expect in a recently opened restaurant, the service was a little spotty, but nothing to get too upset by.Special Features:
- We went for seafood and cameOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2008We went for seafood and came out quite satisfied. Truth be told, on the menu the starters looked more interesting than the entrees, so we ended up making a meal out of those. This was pretty easy, given The Big Daddy -- a three tier tower of seafood featuring raw oysters and clams, cold steamed shrimp, lobster and stone crab claws. All of it was excellent, and a pretty good value compared to ordering any of those items individually. We ordered a couple more appetizers after that and found ourselves filling up quickly. Fortunately we saved room for dessert -- creme brulee and doughnut holes, both of which were fantastic.Special Features:
- Striking interior and deftlyFernleighDined on 11/13/2008Striking interior and deftly prepared food. Quite inventive menu, with a special focus on excellent sushi. Service could use polish, however. Overall, a great addition to the Town Center.Special Features:
- The food was superb,fresh,BlackhawkDined on 11/11/2008The food was superb,fresh, original. The service was extra special. Everyone was congenial, accommodating. These folks are paying attention!Special Features:
- I ate there for lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/11/2008I ate there for lunch with my boss and a collegue. The service was great and the food was fresh and tasty. It is a great add to the Tunks' restaurants.Special Features:
- I take clients out all theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2008I take clients out all the time,in DC, VA and MD and PassionFish as been one of my favorites. The food is excellent, service was outstanding. Wish we had one in Bethesda.Special Features:
- up to par with Tunk's otherohboyDined on 11/8/2008up to par with Tunk's other places..... delicious! and not overpriced!Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2008Very good food and service was almost TOO attentive...they could have left us alone a little more! But overall the food was consistently very yummy, as was the wine (both white and red). The attention to detail was definitely there, the space is decorated perfectly and the dishes and presentation are well thought out. We were originally sat at a table with a very bright light and they moved us immediately and then fixed the light for the next group. GREAT time....Great food...great space.Special Features:
- The food and service was exceptionaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2008The food and service was exceptional. Not only for a restaurant open for 3 weeks, but for any restaurantSpecial Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 11/8/2008This was our second visit to PassionFish. The first visit was so enjoyable that I began recommending it to our friends and colleagues. We enjoyed very good food, had wait staff who knew how to be attentive while still allowing us to dine at leisure, and we felt that the atmosphere was trendy and lively but still quiet enough to enjoy a conversation. The second visit we were seated upstairs, where things were noisy and the atmostphere was boring. The wait staff weren't as attentive - serving our wine when we were nearly finished with our entrees. The entrees were good, but the sushi was dry as though it had been prepared far in advance.Special Features:
- My husband and I went to PassionFisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2008My husband and I went to PassionFish for an anniversary dinner. We were seated at a very private, romantic table on the second level. The menu was creative and varied, but there seemed to be quite a few "whole fish" or "on the bone" fish dishes which do not appeal to us. Overall, we did enjoy our meal and the service was very good, especially given the fact that it had only been open a couple of weeks when we went.Special Features:
- Passionfish was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2008Passionfish was outstanding. The food was incredible and the service was attentive without being overbearing. I would highly recommend this for a special occasion. I mentioned when I made the reservation that we were celebrating my wife's birthday. They printed special menus with my wife's name on it. Took into account her special dietary needs without being asked and every service person wished her a happy birthday. The attention made my wife feel like I did a lot of work while in reality all I did was mention that it was her birthday.Special Features:
- Having eaten at other JeffdfrandanDined on 11/8/2008Having eaten at other Jeff Tunks restaurants, I had high expecations for the cuisine at Passion Fish. I must say that I was a bit underwhelmed by the food. The ambiance was really nice and the service was very solid, but the two entrees myself and my companion tried were mediocre. I would be unlikely to recommend this restaurant based on the food and pricepoint.
- Great new addition to RestonTreehousedadVIPDined on 11/7/2008Great new addition to Reston Town Center. Upscale, uptempo feel with excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Outstanding service, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/4/2008Outstanding service, food and decor. Looking forward to the next reservation.Special Features:
- Passion Fish is Great. TheGoyoVIPDined on 11/1/2008Passion Fish is Great. The fish was good, the ambiance made it feel like we were someplace far more elegant than Reston. we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- All the food is fabulous -MrJonesDined on 11/1/2008All the food is fabulous - we sampled some sushi, spring rolls, butter poached lobster and stone crab claws....all were top notch. Not surprisingly, they are having some coordination issues re the service. Our waiter was clearly over whelmed throughout our dinner, although apologetic. I'm sure they'll get it right in short order - was only surprised that they didn't seem to have wait staff from DC Coast there to help the newbies get the flow right. The staff who were responsible for clearing dirty plates frequently pulled utensils that had just been placed on our table in anticipation of the next course. We'll all go back again despite these hiccups. Another great seafood restaurant to add to their already great group.Special Features:
- The seafood display at thequackDined on 11/1/2008The seafood display at the front smelled a little fishy, so be prepared when you walk in. The food was pretty good but the service was a little lacking. It was, however, their first Saturday night when we went. Overall, it was OK.
- If you are hungry do not goOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2008If you are hungry do not go to Passion Fish for dinner. Eventhough I do understand that it is a week old, it has a long way to go. At the bar area it took over 10 minutes just to order and drink, and for dinner my husband had the raw bar and I had sushi and it took over an hour. Asked the waiter for water and never received it, until I asked another waiter to get it for us. Will never go back to this establishment ever again.
- I was expecting great seafoodJRHFoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2008I was expecting great seafood and creative dishes. The food was 'fair' at best. The monkfish had big bones that looked like a vertabrae, the tuna tartar was over spiced, and even the cocktails were badly mixed. The staff was very friendly and really made an effort to make the customers happy but at one point our server even said that she thought the restaurant opened before it was ready.
- The food was excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2008The food was excellent, the portions were a little small. The beef tenderloins were prepared exactly as ordered and was so tender, a knife was not required.Special Features:
- Just opened 5 days beforeWendyDined on 10/29/2008Just opened 5 days before visit. Wait staff were a little too anxious to take our plates away instead of allowing lingering time. Restaurant seemed noisy even though it was not crowded. That said, our food was lovely & the wait staff was attentive. We'll go back for a revisit or two to see how the restaurant settles after it's opening.Special Features:
- Decor is open, contemporaryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2008Decor is open, contemporary and a bit stark. However, food flavors and presentations were amazing.Special Features: