Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
206 N. Santa Cruz Ave.
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.forbesmillsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4083956434x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Sunday thru Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Weselby
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options will be considered. Please call to discuss.
- Special Events: We can make your private function a complete success with numerous options available, birthday, graduation, retirement, you name it we can accommodate it. Please give us a call to set up your next party. Our room can hold 36 comfortably or more if your having a stand-up cocktail function.
A word from Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos
At Forbes Mill Steakhouse we offer the finest cuisine, all natural Kobe and Prime Certified Angus Beef. Less than 1.5% of beef is elite enough to meet CAB brand prime standards. Our menu includes, Australian Lamb Chops, Veal Chop, Australian Lobster Tail, fresh Ahi Tuna from Hawaii, and a wide variety of seafood entrees for every guest to enjoy! Our cuisine is perfectly accompanied with a Wine Spectator "Best of Excellence" list featuring the finest domestic and international wines to please any palate or budget, all thoughtfully selected by our resident Sommelier. Our professional staff is dedicated to crafting a memorable dining experience for our guests, and they share a commitment to quality and a passion to serve you. Sit back, Relax and Enjoy the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
Forbes Mill Steakhouse - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (68)notable wine list (62)fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (26)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- A Mixed Review1NitPickerDined on 4/5/2014We were greeted like royalty. Loved our table. Adore the mood. From then on service was a bit spotty...kept having to ask for water and the waiter had to do it...don't know where the "water boys" were. My lamb was full of gristle. I thought it was sort of "cheesy" to charge me $2 for a bit of Bernaise Sauce for my steak. Desserts totally unforgettable. Out of six in the group, 4 were very happy. 2 of us were more ho-hum..Could be because we ordered the price-fixed dinner and should have stuck with the regular menu. Still, this is a restaurant where dinner was $100 per person, with drinks. I don't think it's worth it. I wrote a note for the restaurant, but exceeded characters allowed. Please advise me how to send along...or I summed it up.Special Features:
- Our experiencesexylexieDined on 4/5/2014This was out first experience dining at Forbes Mill and it was quite enjoyable. Food was very, very good, service was excellent. Loved Zac, the bartender. Very personable and friendly. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and cordial. I would recommend this restaurant to all my friends. I liked the fact that the restaurant called to confirm our reservations, very nice touch. All in all, it topped off our evening with a very good start. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceMunchingDined on 4/5/2014My fiance and I are embarrassed that we don't remember our server's name since he helped us alot with our first time experience at Forbe Mills Steakhouse. Our server was very attentive and very patient. We had questions regarding the food and wine list and he answered all of our questions in great detail. Only problem is that a good chunk of customers did not follow Forbes Mill's dress code. It completely affected the business/romantic atmostphere that the restaurant have.Special Features:
- Waiter took away my half eateneaterVIPDined on 4/4/2014Waiter took away my half eaten salad without asking. Used plates were stacked in front of guests with prawn cocktail cup turned upside down. Food was great but services is not professional for the price range/class of this restaurant.
- Too expensive, svc too fastnoonelistensDined on 4/3/2014We had the fixed price menu which is an expensive fixed price, but this whole restaurant is tailored to expense accounts where nobody cares. The fixed price menu included a flight of 3 wines to go with each of the three (small) entrees: steak, lamb and fish. The salad was brought out almost immediately which told us it was sitting there ready to go; about 3 minutes later the wine flight showed up, including a chardonnay that would have to sit there for about 15 mins before we figured we would get to the entree. The only saving grace was the entree also showed up almost immediately so the wine didn't warm up too much (but not what you want). We were in and out and down $250 within an hour. We felt like we'd been had.
- Love this placeRdineRDined on 4/1/2014This is the second time my fiance and I have been to Forbes Mill and both times they absolutely delivered. This previous Tuesday was my fiance's 30th birthday. I called ahead to make a reservation and they asked if it was a special occasion. When we arrived the restaurant, inside our menus was a special menu that had a personal happy birthday message to my fiance. We even got a complimentary dessert after our meal. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been a while...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2014I have not been to Forbes for couple yrs and booked my bf's bday dinner as it's his favorite place for steaks. We had a private room and our waiter was extremely attentive and friendly. A few things did occur throughout the evening that made me question if I will return. We had the appetizer platter with ahi tuna, calamari and crab cakes. The star of the plate was the calamari, extra crispy! I ordered the rib eye, mac & cheese and creamed spinach for sides. My meal was ok, yes, I said ok. It was nothing spectacular and I'm left wondering if my taste buds have just evolved. I may give Forbes Mill another chance, but probably not any time soon. Which is just too bad as I really used to enjoy a nice meal there.Special Features:
- Always GoodQueenbDined on 3/29/2014Have been here several times now. It always satisfies my steak craving. Always good service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forbes Mill always pleases!RavenVIPDined on 3/29/2014I've been going here for years and it is consistently an excellent restaurant. This particular time my GF and I each had the Ginger Soy Short Ribs. I want to be clear ... Forbes Mill's Short Ribs are the best Short Ribs anywhere. They are almost candy! Tender, tender, tender with a suite taste. Absolutely amazing. The only thing that is disappointing is they serve them only during the month of March ... it should be on their normal menu! Additionally, the only thing that is consistently not good about Forbes Mill are their desserts. Have an amazing meal and then go find dessert somewhere else. It's really their only weakness ... they need to hire a real pastry chef and make amazing treats, and then change/update the menu often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance nice winesamuelrichardson347Dined on 3/29/2014Food was prepared ok. I prefer more seasoning than how the food was prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High price for poor serviceSoxFanWestDined on 3/28/2014Food was very good in general, scallop appetizer and filet were outstanding, wine list was decent. Our server was particularly slow even though the restaurant was not very busy, but he seemed to have plenty of time to hang out with the hostesses at the front of the restaurant instead of taking our order or refreshing our drinks. He was also not able to identify some of the components of the dish that he served to us, which was really disappointing given the high price tag for each menu item. Would I dine here again? Probably not. There are plenty of other restaurants to take out-of-town guests that know how to deliver exceptional service and food without the high price tag and superior attitude.Special Features:
- This restaurant is great forkathynDined on 3/28/2014This restaurant is great for special occasions. The food is delicious, although a bit pricey. The steaks were cooked perfectly. The sides were delicious, especially the roasted brussel sprouts. The wine list was lengthy and contained many wines unfamiliar to us. The waiter was very helpful in selecting a bottle of wine and we appreciated that he steered us to one of the less expensive bottles. The service was excellent with the meal nicely paced. The only negative is that the noise level in the restaurant can be a bit high. Having eaten there before, we requested a booth as we find that area of the restaurant to be a bit quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Steakhouse for celebrationMollyDined on 3/24/2014Came for birthday celebration - seated earlier than reservation, with personalized menu. Efficient service. We had appetizer of prawns (4) and crab cakes (2). Bottle of Pinot Noir 2012 Moshin Russian River $60 (prices range from 60-120). 24 oz. Porterhouse, NY strip medium rare with mashed, baked, and asparagus. Steaks tender, good size and thickness, flavorful, aged. Vegies were al dente - a little too much (same as last visit). Creme broulee, lava cake, and coffee for dessert. Bill with tip approx. $330. Nice dining room, quiet, pleasant bar area. Good steakhouse for a special occasion although can get pricey with bar bill, desserts, and ala carte items. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loves it !KathwangDined on 3/22/2014Food was good and price was fitting! Polite and curtious staff! Definitely will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceSerendiptityVIPDined on 3/21/2014Our family are regular diners at Forbes Mill and last Friday we were excited to celebrate our daughter's 13th birthday at Forbes Mill. Unfortunately we had a very disappointing experience - our table was located in a strange ante-room which was completely void of any atmosphere, acoustic ceiling tiles were not quite the design we understood Forbes Mill to pride itself on. The food and service were lovely however we will hesitate to dine here again - more likely to dine somewhere with an atmosphere commensurate to the food and service. Previously we have booked directly with Forbes Mill- this is the first time we used Open Table. Unsure if there is a correlation here?
- Perfect for a romantic evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014Perfect for a romantic evening! Something on the menu for everyone and the service is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forbes Mill ReviewSueSDined on 3/14/2014Really excellent food... Steaks done perfectly, sides and salads great....really good desserts and our waiter, Jim, was spot on.Special Features:
- Special OccasionbunnieabbottDined on 3/10/2014Went on a Monday night for our Anniversary (our 3rd time) and the food was delicious! Had the Beet salad, my husband had the Wedge salad, our plates went back empty. The seafood risotto was something I wanted to have, (on a previous visit my friend let me try hers). It was a very good portion with a lot of shrimp, scallops and fish, they were not skimpy on the seafood. My husband had the Dry aged NY, but still liked his bone-in rib eye better from our last visit. You can't go wrong with the cream spinach, much better that other high-end Steak Houses. Our server was the best, he knew exactly when to stop at our table with out hovering. His name was Alexander, and of course comp our dessert! This is a perfect spot for any Special Occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak HouseSullyDined on 3/9/2014This place is close to being perfect, if you order the right meal. The steaks were cooked just right and came soon after the salads were finished. I would stay away from the Ribeye. Like a typical Ribeye it was a little chewy and fatty. OK if you bought it and cook yourself but not worth $40. The Filet was great. Don't bother with the sides unless you're really hungry. The wine list is very extensive but very pricy. Bring your own bottle to make the evening more affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forbes Mill, Los GatosOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/8/2014Always superb! I have NEVER had a bad meal there. Took my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday and neither of us were disappointed. He had the Wagyu Filet Mignon (that was like butter) and I had the surf and turf (6 oz Filet with 8 oz Australian Lobster tail). We were smiling ear to ear throughout the meal! We also did a split of two sides (mushrooms and brussels sprouts), but since our entrees came accompanied with au gratin potatoes and veggies, did not really need them. I always have the chocolate lava cake for dessert and am never disappointed. He did a Kona coffee creme brulee with macadamia nut biscotti that was divine. Impeccable service as well.Special Features:
- Dinner wonderful, dessert notRavenVIPDined on 3/7/2014I have literally been going to Forbes Mill since day one. It's a terrific restaurant that continues to get better ... albeit at a glacier like pace ... but that's ok because it started off great to begin with. The long ongoing weakness of Forbes Mill is apparently refuse to get a real pastry chef. So for all these years there desserts have been disappointing and nearly unchanged. So, once again I looked at the dessert menu too see if there was anything new ... there was a special but not something I'm interested in. Therefore, my GF and I opted for dessert somewhere else after our meal. But again, terrific steak house, with great sides ... and aside from dessert another great experience. Our waiter was particularly personable and nice.Special Features:
- Just okayWhyDoineedanicknameDined on 3/4/2014It wasn't worth the $200 I spent. The food was good but the service was - well, I don't know what to call it. He just seemed a bit arrogant, was not engaging... I had the fruit cobbler for dessert and it was just way too dry and bland (too many oats on top). I felt like I was eating something healthy rather than a dessert. We had mojitos at the bar before dinner and the bartender was nice but the mojitos were kind of watery and the mint was not muddled. I just wasn't really overly impressed with anything here and definitely not for the price.Special Features:
- Awesome SteakGetNMyBellyDined on 3/3/2014We had steaks for our anniversary a rib eye and a filet mignon, and it was excellent! When u don't need any sauces to dress your steak and appreciate it for what it is, then you know it's good! I had leftovers the next day and it was yummy! Don't forget to order the crab cakes, au gratin potatoes and the chocolate torte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionsFotogammonDined on 3/1/2014A hard to reserve place with great steak and service. Was surprised to see families with kids at this high end restaurant, but it is Los Gatos ;) The service was great and would go back. They have an outstanding beer and wine list with many delicious items to compliment a fine dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014They personalize the menu for your special occasion and computer dessert on a plate decorated with chocolate writing! Such a special touch!!!Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsKateDined on 2/22/2014We owed close friends a special meal and chose Forbes Mill because it is one of our favorites and new to our friends. Everything was perfect. Our waiter was excellent and the food unsurpassed. Our friends were impressed and said this is their new favorite restaurant. Dinner is expensive but for a special treat a Forbes Mill is perfect and worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerGinaDined on 2/22/2014Well, over all every thing was exceptional. From our dinner table to the end. We were seated at the half moon booth. Awesome. We were there for my son's 25th birthday. We've been here before and everything was over the top as expected. The hostess Danielle was so kind and pleasant. Our Host was very attentitive. The only reason I am rating this a 4 instead of 5 is because when we arrived home and receive a phone call from a family member to ask us "how was the wine that I sent to your table?" We didn't receive that expensive bottle that he sent. Miscommunications happen. It would have been a perfect touch though. That is the only reason I rated it a 4. Otherwise, this evening would easily be a 5. We had such a lovely evening!!!Special Features:
- Poor serverRandyKarenBakerDined on 2/21/2014We have dined at this restaurant many times with success in regard to service and food. This evening was the exception in a negative way. To simplify, here is what happened: 1. Server came to table with pen and paper and asked if we wanted to order. 2. I said we would like a drink (wine/cocktail) 3. Ordered our drinks and our meals. I said we wanted to start with the calamari. 4. He delivered the calamari and 2 salads at the same time 5. I said we were not in a hurry and would like the calamari with our drinks and the salads later. 6. He said he would put them in the refrigerator for later. 7. Our salads came followed by our entrees. 8. Not one time did we see him or did he come by to ask us how our meal was. 9. He brought the check
- Restaurant is known for theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014Restaurant is known for the steaks, and yes they are very good. I had the prefix dinner which included salmon. I have had better salmon in other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outGomerDined on 2/17/2014This resturaunt was great however very expensive. Dinner for two with appetizer and dessert and no alcohol was a little over $200. So unless you got money I would recommend this as a once a year special occasion place. Very good food, very good wait staff. Tables could have been more secluded as there were only about 4 booths the rest were 4 person square tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belated VALENTINE DINNERSpikeDined on 2/17/2014Lovely and elegant from the warm cordial greeting at the door to professional service & delicious meal. They even adjusted appetizer due to my food allergy. Tim (manager) was attentive without hovering-enjoyable conversations. Tim (server) was thoroughly professional with impeccable timing. Due to illness this was my VALENTINE DINNER and worth rescheduled date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service DeclineNASAR8VIPDined on 2/16/2014The steaks were good but service is on the decline and the decor is showing its age. Wine list is long but missing some important regions in CA.Special Features:
- Forbes Steakhouse A+OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014I took my fiance here the night we got engaged. Food and waitstaff were excellent. The steak was the best I've ever had and the lamb was superb. Very attentive waiter...it was nice to see the napkin folded neatly after coming from bathroom. It was a bit dark with all the blinds shut, could have used a touch more light. Memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent great steaksJParkerDined on 2/15/2014This is one of our two favorite steak houses in the South Bay. We always order the Kobe filet mignon, and always cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just because we did not orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Just because we did not ordered wine, we got ignored the whole time we were there. The hostess made stupid comment about my girlfriend weight, how rude! We've requested a nice, quiet spot, instead we got seated in the middle of the room? We sat at the table for at least 10 minutes of no one come to greet us. Finally the waiter walked by our table, didn't even stop and look at us and shout out he'll be with us in a minute (what kind of service is that?). Every course we had to wait at least 5-10 in between, the waiter spent more time at other tables than at our table. The waiter only address and made eyes contact with me, he totally ignored my girlfriend, what culture does that make it ok? I would NEVER recommend this place to ANYONE.
- Great Food & Great ServiceMikeS408Dined on 2/15/2014This was mine and my wife's first time visiting Forbes Mills Steakhouse. I must say that we were both VERY impressed with the experience. Our waiter James treated us very well, and when I asked for a wine recommendation he did not suggest the most expensive one on the menu. These are the little minor things that I appreciate because I don't like feeling like I'm being oversold. I ordered the blackend rib eye with no blue cheese compound butter. The flavoring was great, and it was very tender and juicy. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was that there was a little too much caramelized onion on it. . And I will also note that the food re-heated nicely the next day. My wife still can't stop talking about it several days after going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakMelimDined on 2/15/2014Came here with a group of 4, my boyfriend had the Tajima Black Wagyu which was exceptional, it was divine! I ordered the regular filet mignon which was good but next time I will definitely order the Tajima Black Wagyu. Overall good experience, great wine list and service.Special Features:
- No regretOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Last minute open table availability for a valentines fri evening...so happy to have found it available. Great rib eye and split side options. Except for Brussels sprouts,which were over charred, all cooked to perfection. A pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los GAtosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014The veal chop was the best I have had! The service was good and the wine list was good. We enjoyed a relaxing night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visitNancyCDined on 2/9/2014This was our third trip to Forbes Mill. We visited on Sunday evening at 7pm and were surprised to see the dining room packed wall to wall with diners, but our table (next to the fireplace even!) was ready and waiting for us. Our server, Alex, was wonderful. He has that knack of being attentive without being an intrusion on your meal or conversation. It's truly an art. We ordered two plates of oysters (all for the husband), a roasted beet salad (delicious!), a 24oz porterhouse, a 14oz ribeye, potatoes au gratin, sauteed mushrooms, a split side of asparagus & brussel sprouts with bacon, all three sauces, and we shared the fruit crisp for dessert. Every last bit of this meal was delectable. (Even the leftovers!) Thank you, Forbes Mill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.