Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Pier 33, The Embarcadero at Bay Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Butterfly, The Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butterflysf.com/
- Phone: 4158648999x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Robert Lam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties larger than 40 guests, please contact the Special Event Coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: Daryah Newman 4158648999x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday for dinner service.
- Special Events: From wedding festivities to convention parties, our waterfront location is the perfect backdrop for your next event. Please contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot across the street. Metered street parking on the Embarcadero.
A word from Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Butterfly offers the perfect mix of food, atmosphere, an amazing California Wine List and great decor. Chef Robert Lam was named as a previous "Top 6 Rising Star Chef" by The Chronicle, Lam continues to impress by bringing his innovative California-Asian cuisine to the waterfront location on the Embarcadero. " Narsai David of KCBS said," Butterfly is a happening place". Best seafood soup, I have ever had!" A few suggestions Clams and Mussels, Salmon and Strawberry Rolls, Kalua Pig in Butter Lettuce Cups, Crispy Fried Whole Fish, and Banana Bread Pudding for dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfly, The Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (70)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (37)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (22)great for lunch (13)hot spot (12)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great "fusion" tasteAlexandAmyDined on 4/4/2014We had been planning to eat at Butterfly ever since we arrived in San Francisco, especially since it is very close to where we live, but we had hesitated, simply because it is close to the Fisherman's Wharf, and thought it might be a "tourist trap". After having had dinner there, however, we were very pleasantly surprised, and are definitely planning on including it in our regular restaurant rotation. Getting a table was easy on OpenTable, the table we got was very nice, and the service was also good. The food itself was a great surprise. Even the fried calamari was amazing! With notes of Vietnamese seasoning and fresh herbs. ohh, good! The drinks were also fantastic. We had the Sailor's Punch and the Honey Bourbon Sour. Both great! Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected a romantic spot but....Indigo007Dined on 4/4/2014The "KID MENU" sign so boldly displayed outside should have alerted me. I was under the impression this was a romantic dinner spot. But alas, it was filled with tourists. You know the kind that wear jeans, sneakers and college sweatshirts to dinner. Food was GREAT, our Server was AWESOME but it is not romantic ....ho humSpecial Features:
- Very Good ServiceFinnDined on 4/3/2014Definitely one of my favorite lunch spots to hit up as well as group settings. Love it! Food pretty good too. Menu changes.Special Features:
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/30/2014Went there for Sunday brunch. Eggs benedict were a hit. The other dishes our table had - salads and sandwiches - were acceptable, but not up to the expectations for such a hyped-up restaurant. The cocktails were pretty good, coffee weak. Our server was friendly, but he disappeared for a good while after we were done. The creme brulee which was supposed to come with "seasonal fruit" had none. We didn't complain. One of us only ate half her sandwich and asked to have it wrapped up. After paying the bill, we waited. And waited. They forgot.Special Features:
- Everything was great, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Everything was great, however I felt that because you had a private venue that night I felt rushed to finish our food so you can give people the table for VIP service. That was not cool at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch & AlcatrazMizKatzVIPDined on 3/29/2014I selected this cafe based on its immediate proximity to the Alcatraz cruise and also because my out-of-country guest had never tasted Asian fusion cuisine. Butterfly did not disappoint! Our window seat was scenic -- even in the heavy rain of that day. I ordered the cod lettuce cups and my guest tried the egg & veggie scramble -- both were totally delicious. We shared the skillet cookie -- another new and positive experience for my guest. Our server was very friendly and efficient, keeping our cups filled with delicious strong coffee. We were well-fortified for the hike around Alcatraz! I look forward to future meals there -- even without the "lure" of Alcatraz.Special Features:
- A new experiencemikeDined on 3/28/2014This was our first visit to Butterfly. All the dishes were uniquely prepared and quite delicious. Presentation was also a pleasure and the service was excellent. The fried calamari hors d'oeuvre was tasty and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Tasty!ImpressMeDined on 3/26/2014Arrived early for dinner and sat at the bar. Ordered appetizers (very reasonable)-the duck rolls are deeeeelicious, as are the sliders. Great happy hour and not too crowded. Nice place. Would go again!Special Features:
- Sunday lunchJanleeDined on 3/23/2014Our daughter's boyfriend recommended Butterfly Bar for our Sunday lunch. We couldn't have been a happier group of diners! The food was absolutely amazing...I had the BEST cheeseburger ever...waygu (?) beef was so delicious and it was on a house made bun, on a Sunday! I was thinking I may have to toss the bun if it wasn't fresh but it was so wonderful. My husband's garlic noodles with shrimp looked amazing, my daughter raved about her meatballs and her BF had a stacked Spam and rice dish with a beef patty that made us all take our cameras out! The boys had delicious and heartily garnished wasabi Bloody Mary's. Just as we were finishing our meal, the chef came out to ask us how we liked the food, always a special and welcome touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very uneven.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food was very uneven. The chicken was very dry but the appetizers were outstanding. Some desserts were excellent (creme brulee and others were not (skillet cookie). Service was minimal.
- Average, I guessTicoSFDined on 3/8/2014At first we were happy because we were seated by a window. After I couple of minutes we requested to be changed since the window was broken, and the cold air of the bay was sipping through. How can they do this? Don't they know that the SF Bay is cold, specially at night? We were moved by our hostess, who was very gracious with the situation, and were seated at a booth. The food, for the price, was nothing spectacular. The prices did not match the food. I little disappointed since I read the reviews and all seemed so nice. At times we thought that they had forgotten about us. The 3 times that the waiter showed up, he was very kind, and knowledgeable, inclusive funny and friendly. He was the best part of our meal. Not returning any time soonSpecial Features:
- friend & I had a lot of catchingtasterDined on 3/2/2014friend & I had a lot of catching up to do, & the staff was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion AwesomeWorldTravelerDined on 3/2/2014I had never been to an Asian Fusion restaurant and wasn't quite sure what to expect. It was fantastic. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. It was a great spot for our group of four - it wasn't loud at all. It is a bit spendy, but I think well worth it for a nice day out or a special occasion. The view also was a nice add on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently yummyHarveyClanVIPDined on 2/27/2014We've been to Butterfly for dinner on three occasions, and have had a wonderful experience every time: great food, service, drinks. This is one of our "go to" spots in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location, good foodtamourDined on 2/22/2014Went with a group of friends and had an overall good/great experience. Food was very good and service was solid. The burger is excellent and the 2 desserts that we all shared (bread pudding and cookie/icecream thing) were pretty good.Special Features:
- Loved itScottDined on 2/22/2014We were the 1st to arrive and be seated for brunch. Got a table for two, facing the bay. Huge windows look out onto the water. Staff very attentive and friendly. Style and design of the space are fantastic. Food and drink presentation was superb. The bloody mary was delicious, and came garnished with a slice of caramelized bacon...YES PLEASE. We each a chardonnay to follow the bloody. The selection was very good, and our server seemed to know what he was talking about and let us taste each one that we were interested in. I had the Loco Moco, which was delicious. The presentation was beautiful! I hate food photos on Facebook, but I broke my own rule to post a pic of that dish. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- A great find!DaviatorVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a really great experience at Butterfly, and were asking ourselves why we'd taken so long to discover it. Creative and inspired menu, friendly and attentive service, and a great view of the bay and the adjacent cruise ship terminal made for a very pleasant and tasty dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian fusan-YES!LesleyDined on 2/15/2014Cocktails-YES MUSHROOM SOUP-Yes Duck spring rolls and Calamari appetizer -Yes Short ribs -Yes Banana bread pudding-NO- way too sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Valentines day dinnerFoodSamplerDined on 2/13/2014Easy location, friendly helpful staff, Great happy hour food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porter is a fantastic waiter!SkyAussieVIPDined on 2/12/2014The service in this restaurant was impeccable, all around! Everyone works greatly as a team and everyone takes care of the guests from the time we walk in the door to the time we leave. Porter was our server and he was great for recommending not only items on the wine list, but also the meals, and even down to the desserts! The rest of the team was great in taking care of us as well, and they even packed up my food that I didn't have room to finish (was saving room for dessert), and just when i thought they forgot to give it back to me, another staff member walked it out to my table in a little box and bag, as they were waiting until i was ready to leave to bring it out. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyDebrasloneDined on 2/12/2014Have been there several times and everybody loves it. It's actually a great value and everyone is happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceChillyDined on 2/11/2014The wait and host staff were professional, courteous and very attentive. The food was great too. We ordered three appetizers: Kailua pig lettuce wraps, garlic noodles and calamari, and was almost too full by the time the main entree arrived. Good presentation of food. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place along the embarcardaro,MikeVIPDined on 2/11/2014Cool place along the embarcardaro, good food and service.Special Features:
- hit or misscocoonDined on 2/11/2014Returned after our recent impressive Dine About Town meals. We ordered the calamari again and tried the duck confi, citrus salad and did not disappoint. The miso cod entree, however, was disappointing much to our surprise - seemed to be over cooked and dry even though it was served in a flavorful broth. Nice decor and ambiance and very attentive, thoughtful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Butterfly When in SFCarPatLinDined on 2/11/2014Thank you for giving us a lovely table in the corner! We are glad we didn't have to share a table with people we didn't know. We had excellent service .... our server was friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed all the appetizers we ordered ... fired calamari, duck spring rolls, kalua pork lettuce cups, garlic noodles ... every dish was delicious! Unfortunately we were disappointed with the miso roasted cod ... the fish was overcooked and didn't taste good.. sorry. Overall we had a great experience ... thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- atmospheric view in lively arearomanticDined on 2/11/2014Close to Pier 39 and not far from Exploratorium, this is a romantic restaurant with good food and service and a view of the Bay. The view is blocked to the sides by the piers, but still the Bay is always lovely to look at. Nice selection of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat Customer....TonyDined on 2/9/20144th time coming to Butterfly but last time was about 3 yrs ago and really glad I came back. Food and service were top notch, Michelle was my waitress and did a great job of making sure I got my. orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationWWalkerDined on 2/8/2014The food and service is excellent, even down to the busing of our table. Wine and Coctails are great. The pricing is slightly higher than a restaurant that serves similar food not located in SF and the piers. You get a water view of the bay through big windows but stuck between two piers. The decor of the old warehouse is nice, esp. the anenome chanderliers. Parking is on the street at the meters or a lot on Bay and Embarcadero, or take public transportation. I recommend for intimate special occasion events for foodies and tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible menuwazupsushiVIPDined on 2/7/2014I have tried everything on the menu, and it's all terrible.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatJessDined on 2/5/2014The apps were really tasty and so were the drinks. The actual entree was way overpriced and just ok. I would go back for drinks and apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food at Butterfly is verymdf1Dined on 2/4/2014The food at Butterfly is very good, but you'd better like cilantro as it's in nearly everything. The service is good, but a little spotty. We had to ask for bread with the soup we ordered while waiting for dinner, and the waiter said he would order up something. With the soup long finished and dinner arriving two small hot rolls showed up. I think they may have baked them while we waited, but this was not communicated to us. The place is fairly factoryesque, and pretty much turns its back to its view of the bay. I requested, and we got one of the few window tables that actually looks out, which is nice if you like seeing the ship traffic on the bay, which I do. All in all Butterfly is fairly expensive, has good food, and decent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food; great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/4/2014Superb food; great location with pkg on Bay Street. Excellent staff, courteous, attentive . Great venue for special occasions too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice near touristvillekellenceDined on 1/31/2014I've enjoyed having lunches at this spot close to Pier 39 but just enough away from the maddening crowd. The view is great, and though the prices are a little high for most people from the midwest or south, their bargainous considering the neighborhood and alternative choices. Nice spot to have a conversation, too. Tables are spaced away from each other so you don't have the sense of every word being overheard. All in all, a reliable lunch choice. I've not had dinner here, but might try it if I'm in the neighborhood some night.Special Features:
- Great food, great viewEmilinaDined on 1/30/2014I came with a group, and we ate nearly everything on the Dine About Town menu and loved it all. The kalua pork lettuce wraps were incredible, and the shortribs melted in my mouth. We got a great booth in the corner that looked out at the water and our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyYUMMYVIPDined on 1/29/2014We would highly recommend this place. It is our 4th time going there and the food is fantastic. Porter our waiter is exceptionally good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving......Butterfly !CompatriotVIPDined on 1/28/2014From the moment you are seated, you feel 'special'! Food is unusually clever......and, excellent. Views - and, ambiance wonderful. Service was excellent.........have to admit, I noticed a seemingly large/increase in prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An odor that needs to be gone?foodieVIPDined on 1/26/2014We almost left as soon as we stepped into the restaurant. An unbearable stench reminiscent of cat urine permeated the entire entrance area.
- Great night out!EatwellbehappyDined on 1/25/2014The good was awesome. The staff was awesome. Service was awesome. It was a bit loud in there, but the ambiance was really swanky. I'd definitely go back there. The only problem was we had a group of 11, and they couldn't put us all together. That was a little disappointing. Otherwise great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butterfly is one of my favoritesnezjDined on 1/25/2014I would go to Butterfly without any sort of discount or coupon, which is high praise! I usually graze from their appetizers-the duck confit spring rolls, Kalua pig lettuce cups and noodles Animal style are my favorites. The short ribs entree is excellent. I love the skillet cookie dessert. Their creme brulee is nice if you want a lighter dessert. We've never had bad service @ Butterfly; the servers usually go above & beyond to make sure your dining experience is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2014We have been dining at Butterfly for years and so happy to see that Rob Lamb's kitchen still puts out great food! So many of the original staff is still there ensuring their guests are happy. I had never seen our waiter before - he didn't really fit in with the rest of the format. He just surly enough to make me want to ignore him and erase him from the experience. Guess we will have to return soon to restore my image of one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.