Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Pier 33, The Embarcadero at Bay Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Butterfly, The Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butterflysf.com/
- Phone: 4158648999x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: 5pm
We are closed all day on Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Robert Lam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties larger than 50 guests, please contact the Special Event Coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Marrs 4158648999x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday for dinner service.
- Special Events: From wedding festivities to convention parties, our waterfront location is the perfect backdrop for your next event. Please contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot across the street. Metered street parking on the Embarcadero.
A word from Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Butterfly offers the perfect mix of food, atmosphere, an amazing California Wine List and great decor. Chef Robert Lam was named as a previous "Top 6 Rising Star Chef" by The Chronicle, Lam continues to impress by bringing his innovative California-Asian cuisine to the waterfront location on the Embarcadero. " Narsai David of KCBS said," Butterfly is a happening place". Best seafood soup, I have ever had!" A few suggestions Clams and Mussels, Salmon and Strawberry Rolls, Kalua Pig in Butter Lettuce Cups, Crispy Fried Whole Fish, and Banana Bread Pudding for dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfly, The Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (101)fit for foodies (69)special occasion (56)romantic (45)good for groups (31)great for lunch (30)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (24)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Tasty!ImpressMeDined on 3/26/2014Arrived early for dinner and sat at the bar. Ordered appetizers (very reasonable)-the duck rolls are deeeeelicious, as are the sliders. Great happy hour and not too crowded. Nice place. Would go again!Special Features:
- Sunday lunchJanleeDined on 3/23/2014Our daughter's boyfriend recommended Butterfly Bar for our Sunday lunch. We couldn't have been a happier group of diners! The food was absolutely amazing...I had the BEST cheeseburger ever...waygu (?) beef was so delicious and it was on a house made bun, on a Sunday! I was thinking I may have to toss the bun if it wasn't fresh but it was so wonderful. My husband's garlic noodles with shrimp looked amazing, my daughter raved about her meatballs and her BF had a stacked Spam and rice dish with a beef patty that made us all take our cameras out! The boys had delicious and heartily garnished wasabi Bloody Mary's. Just as we were finishing our meal, the chef came out to ask us how we liked the food, always a special and welcome touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very uneven.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food was very uneven. The chicken was very dry but the appetizers were outstanding. Some desserts were excellent (creme brulee and others were not (skillet cookie). Service was minimal.
- Average, I guessTicoSFDined on 3/8/2014At first we were happy because we were seated by a window. After I couple of minutes we requested to be changed since the window was broken, and the cold air of the bay was sipping through. How can they do this? Don't they know that the SF Bay is cold, specially at night? We were moved by our hostess, who was very gracious with the situation, and were seated at a booth. The food, for the price, was nothing spectacular. The prices did not match the food. I little disappointed since I read the reviews and all seemed so nice. At times we thought that they had forgotten about us. The 3 times that the waiter showed up, he was very kind, and knowledgeable, inclusive funny and friendly. He was the best part of our meal. Not returning any time soonSpecial Features:
- friend & I had a lot of catchingtasterDined on 3/2/2014friend & I had a lot of catching up to do, & the staff was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion AwesomeWorldTravelerDined on 3/2/2014I had never been to an Asian Fusion restaurant and wasn't quite sure what to expect. It was fantastic. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly. It was a great spot for our group of four - it wasn't loud at all. It is a bit spendy, but I think well worth it for a nice day out or a special occasion. The view also was a nice add on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently yummyHarveyClanVIPDined on 2/27/2014We've been to Butterfly for dinner on three occasions, and have had a wonderful experience every time: great food, service, drinks. This is one of our "go to" spots in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location, good foodtamourDined on 2/22/2014Went with a group of friends and had an overall good/great experience. Food was very good and service was solid. The burger is excellent and the 2 desserts that we all shared (bread pudding and cookie/icecream thing) were pretty good.Special Features:
- Loved itScottDined on 2/22/2014We were the 1st to arrive and be seated for brunch. Got a table for two, facing the bay. Huge windows look out onto the water. Staff very attentive and friendly. Style and design of the space are fantastic. Food and drink presentation was superb. The bloody mary was delicious, and came garnished with a slice of caramelized bacon...YES PLEASE. We each a chardonnay to follow the bloody. The selection was very good, and our server seemed to know what he was talking about and let us taste each one that we were interested in. I had the Loco Moco, which was delicious. The presentation was beautiful! I hate food photos on Facebook, but I broke my own rule to post a pic of that dish. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- A great find!DaviatorVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a really great experience at Butterfly, and were asking ourselves why we'd taken so long to discover it. Creative and inspired menu, friendly and attentive service, and a great view of the bay and the adjacent cruise ship terminal made for a very pleasant and tasty dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian fusan-YES!LesleyDined on 2/15/2014Cocktails-YES MUSHROOM SOUP-Yes Duck spring rolls and Calamari appetizer -Yes Short ribs -Yes Banana bread pudding-NO- way too sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Valentines day dinnerFoodSamplerDined on 2/13/2014Easy location, friendly helpful staff, Great happy hour food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Porter is a fantastic waiter!SkyAussieVIPDined on 2/12/2014The service in this restaurant was impeccable, all around! Everyone works greatly as a team and everyone takes care of the guests from the time we walk in the door to the time we leave. Porter was our server and he was great for recommending not only items on the wine list, but also the meals, and even down to the desserts! The rest of the team was great in taking care of us as well, and they even packed up my food that I didn't have room to finish (was saving room for dessert), and just when i thought they forgot to give it back to me, another staff member walked it out to my table in a little box and bag, as they were waiting until i was ready to leave to bring it out. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyDebrasloneDined on 2/12/2014Have been there several times and everybody loves it. It's actually a great value and everyone is happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceChillyDined on 2/11/2014The wait and host staff were professional, courteous and very attentive. The food was great too. We ordered three appetizers: Kailua pig lettuce wraps, garlic noodles and calamari, and was almost too full by the time the main entree arrived. Good presentation of food. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place along the embarcardaro,MikeVIPDined on 2/11/2014Cool place along the embarcardaro, good food and service.Special Features:
- hit or misscocoonDined on 2/11/2014Returned after our recent impressive Dine About Town meals. We ordered the calamari again and tried the duck confi, citrus salad and did not disappoint. The miso cod entree, however, was disappointing much to our surprise - seemed to be over cooked and dry even though it was served in a flavorful broth. Nice decor and ambiance and very attentive, thoughtful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Butterfly When in SFCarPatLinDined on 2/11/2014Thank you for giving us a lovely table in the corner! We are glad we didn't have to share a table with people we didn't know. We had excellent service .... our server was friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed all the appetizers we ordered ... fired calamari, duck spring rolls, kalua pork lettuce cups, garlic noodles ... every dish was delicious! Unfortunately we were disappointed with the miso roasted cod ... the fish was overcooked and didn't taste good.. sorry. Overall we had a great experience ... thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- atmospheric view in lively arearomanticDined on 2/11/2014Close to Pier 39 and not far from Exploratorium, this is a romantic restaurant with good food and service and a view of the Bay. The view is blocked to the sides by the piers, but still the Bay is always lovely to look at. Nice selection of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat Customer....TonyDined on 2/9/20144th time coming to Butterfly but last time was about 3 yrs ago and really glad I came back. Food and service were top notch, Michelle was my waitress and did a great job of making sure I got my. orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationWWalkerDined on 2/8/2014The food and service is excellent, even down to the busing of our table. Wine and Coctails are great. The pricing is slightly higher than a restaurant that serves similar food not located in SF and the piers. You get a water view of the bay through big windows but stuck between two piers. The decor of the old warehouse is nice, esp. the anenome chanderliers. Parking is on the street at the meters or a lot on Bay and Embarcadero, or take public transportation. I recommend for intimate special occasion events for foodies and tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible menuwazupsushiVIPDined on 2/7/2014I have tried everything on the menu, and it's all terrible.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatJessDined on 2/5/2014The apps were really tasty and so were the drinks. The actual entree was way overpriced and just ok. I would go back for drinks and apps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food at Butterfly is verymdf1Dined on 2/4/2014The food at Butterfly is very good, but you'd better like cilantro as it's in nearly everything. The service is good, but a little spotty. We had to ask for bread with the soup we ordered while waiting for dinner, and the waiter said he would order up something. With the soup long finished and dinner arriving two small hot rolls showed up. I think they may have baked them while we waited, but this was not communicated to us. The place is fairly factoryesque, and pretty much turns its back to its view of the bay. I requested, and we got one of the few window tables that actually looks out, which is nice if you like seeing the ship traffic on the bay, which I do. All in all Butterfly is fairly expensive, has good food, and decent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food; great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/4/2014Superb food; great location with pkg on Bay Street. Excellent staff, courteous, attentive . Great venue for special occasions too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice near touristvillekellenceDined on 1/31/2014I've enjoyed having lunches at this spot close to Pier 39 but just enough away from the maddening crowd. The view is great, and though the prices are a little high for most people from the midwest or south, their bargainous considering the neighborhood and alternative choices. Nice spot to have a conversation, too. Tables are spaced away from each other so you don't have the sense of every word being overheard. All in all, a reliable lunch choice. I've not had dinner here, but might try it if I'm in the neighborhood some night.Special Features:
- Great food, great viewEmilinaDined on 1/30/2014I came with a group, and we ate nearly everything on the Dine About Town menu and loved it all. The kalua pork lettuce wraps were incredible, and the shortribs melted in my mouth. We got a great booth in the corner that looked out at the water and our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyYUMMYVIPDined on 1/29/2014We would highly recommend this place. It is our 4th time going there and the food is fantastic. Porter our waiter is exceptionally good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving......Butterfly !CompatriotVIPDined on 1/28/2014From the moment you are seated, you feel 'special'! Food is unusually clever......and, excellent. Views - and, ambiance wonderful. Service was excellent.........have to admit, I noticed a seemingly large/increase in prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An odor that needs to be gone?foodieVIPDined on 1/26/2014We almost left as soon as we stepped into the restaurant. An unbearable stench reminiscent of cat urine permeated the entire entrance area.
- Great night out!EatwellbehappyDined on 1/25/2014The good was awesome. The staff was awesome. Service was awesome. It was a bit loud in there, but the ambiance was really swanky. I'd definitely go back there. The only problem was we had a group of 11, and they couldn't put us all together. That was a little disappointing. Otherwise great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butterfly is one of my favoritesnezjDined on 1/25/2014I would go to Butterfly without any sort of discount or coupon, which is high praise! I usually graze from their appetizers-the duck confit spring rolls, Kalua pig lettuce cups and noodles Animal style are my favorites. The short ribs entree is excellent. I love the skillet cookie dessert. Their creme brulee is nice if you want a lighter dessert. We've never had bad service @ Butterfly; the servers usually go above & beyond to make sure your dining experience is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/25/2014We have been dining at Butterfly for years and so happy to see that Rob Lamb's kitchen still puts out great food! So many of the original staff is still there ensuring their guests are happy. I had never seen our waiter before - he didn't really fit in with the rest of the format. He just surly enough to make me want to ignore him and erase him from the experience. Guess we will have to return soon to restore my image of one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014Everything was mediocre. The only good thing was the location because after our meal we ended up walking around Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Other than that nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- I would recommendMikeDined on 1/24/2014I have been coming here many times. It's wonderful restaurant and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerJanellenVIPDined on 1/24/2014Went for the 1st time after scoring a good Groupon for this restaurant. 3 of us ordered starters, cocktails and mains; and shared 2 desserts. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious: crisp but grease-free duck confit spring rolls; amazing mushroom soup with truffle foam (I am going to request that recipe from Bon Appetit!), succulent miso-glazed cod. And I've had snapper in the Caribbean for 40 years: Butterfly's snapper was absolutely the best I've EVER had. The chef visited our table twice: once to bring and explain how to assemble the snapper presentation, and at the end to check in. Service was prompt and friendly, even on a Friday night. We hope to return VERY soon.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed theglovesmVIPDined on 1/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the Dine About Town menu, which included the following: Duck confit spring rolls - crunchy and rich Kalua pig lettuce wraps - flavorful, slightly sweet and smoky Braised Shortribs - super tender and the five spice was interesting with it Grilled Hanger Steak - the medium rare was perfectly done and melted in my mouth Lychee Sorbet - the ice crystals were so tiny that it made it melt quickly and smoothly Crème Brulee - so buttery and creamy, the top was perfectly heated with some slightly char notesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemRosieDined on 1/24/2014Loved the food, service was great, chef came to visit, and selection of food was great. Would definitely return. As a reminder there is a table by the window that is cold so not for folks that need a warm spot. Window needs repair. In spite of that will return for delightful food and wonderful service. Porter was a great waiter and also the servers were great!!!Special Features:
- Oil stationstb321Dined on 1/23/2014My first lunch course was a type of egg roll. It tasted good but it was literally dripping in oil! When I picked up a piece to dip in the (very spicy) sauce, the oil dripped down my hand to my wrist! The main course was a shaking beef salad. This was very tasty although a couple of pieces of the beef were a bit chewy but over all it was very tasty. Dessert was a "mini crème brulee" and boy, did they mean mini!! About two spoonsful. But it was good and topped with small blueberries. We did the dine around menu and I would like to go another time and order a la carte. If there is a cruise ship in port, this would be the ideal place to have a drink and lunch. Our waiter was wonderful! Very attentive without being intrusive. We liked him.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodHollywoodDined on 1/22/2014Their food is always excellent. Both of our entrees were delicious. We also had their warm cookie for dessert which was wonderful although they need to put more ice cream on it. Our server was "just right". Checking in at the door could have been better and actually getting a quiet table which we requested would have been nice.I would recommend this to a friend.