417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)fit for foodies (102)romantic (90)special occasion (83)notable wine list (52)hot spot (23)good for groups (18)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- We had exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2009We had exceptional service and we're seated promptly at our reservation time. We only tried the entrees, but they were excellent and well priced. We were seated downstairs, which was a drawback. There was a large screen TV on the entire time with the big blue LG screen. It was distracting and detracted from the overall ambiance. The Rigatoni alla Sal was exquisite. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food was great and serviceBlackieDined on 10/17/2009Food was great and service good once they seated us. Very late in seating us however. Our reservation was for 9PM and we were not seated until after 10:15 despite fact that groups coming in after us were seated before us. Don't they like Open Table Reservations.Special Features:
- Overall its was good! WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2009Overall its was good! Waiter was very good and great with everyone! Its was loud so I wouldn't return for a conversation type of meal with someone special. It was a tight with no much seating which wasn't much of a problem. However they don't really take reservation, kind of put you on a list.....sometimes seemed like friends had high priority. With a reservation it was an hour wait!Special Features:
- Nico's is my favorite ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009Nico's is my favorite Italian restaurant in the North End! It is ALWAYS delicious, they will make any substitutes you want, and the waiting staff is extremely professional and nice. It is absolutely necessary to make a reservation, as they are always packed. Seating is available at the bar and downstairs, but, eating upstairs (street level) is a much prettier view! BEST gnocchi with meatballs and tiramisu!!Special Features:
- I would definitely recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2009I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would return for a second time. The food was outstanding and the service was great!Special Features:
- we had an 8:00pm reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2009we had an 8:00pm reservation and did not get seated until after 9:15pm. They never apologized, offered an explanation, etc. When they finally did seat us, it was down stairs in a table barely fit to hold 4 people and we were a party of 5. We were cramped and it was so loud, it was difficult to carry on a conversation. Service was marginal. The atmosphere upstairs seemed like it would have been fun, however, they need to focus alot more on improving customer service. I would not go back nor would I recommend to my friends.
- We had a great meal!! OurOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2009We had a great meal!! Our server Pena was a doll...lots of personality!! Will be going back soon!
- When we arrived and saw thisTraveldinerVIPDined on 9/7/2009When we arrived and saw this hip decor and great menu we were a little unsure about bringing our 9 and 11 year old children. However, the restaurant was very accommodating and adjusted some menu items to please the kids. We all had a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- It was pretty loud and rightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2009It was pretty loud and right across the street from a fire station. However the food was very good. I wouldn't recommend this place for a romantic dinner, but it's great to go with a friend or two.Special Features:
- Chic restaurant in th NorthOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2009Chic restaurant in th North End. Food delicious and gives a range of prices to fit your budget. Service very friendly and excellent. You can sit upstairs for liveliness or go downstairs for a quieter evening.Special Features:
- Nico was highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2009Nico was highly recommended by a friend who loves Italian food and disco music. I was intrigued enough to try it and took four of my girlfriends with me. We were so glad that we did! The restaurant is cozy with a great open view of Hanover street and the fire station. The decor and music videos fun, as well as a flat screen at the bar to see the Sox. The food was excellent! The best Caprese salad ever. All of our appetizers were delicious as well as the entrees. We were full after the appetizers and we all ended taking most of our meals home. The cocktails were great and the wine list had a nice selection of reds and whites. The wait staff was attentive, Italian and very cute. I am looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2009The food was outstanding. Generous portions and simply wonderful. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived and they bought us a round of drinks and a few appetizers (it was very delayed). We never complained, they just did it! The music was from the 70's and it seemed to bond the entire dining room together. I wish I lived in Boston so I could eat at Nico every week. It was absolutely perfect.Special Features:
- From the exuberant hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2009From the exuberant hostess to the helpful waitress and all those who backed them up all night long we felt cared for and appreciated at Nico on our first visit. We arrived 10 minutes late but called ahead and were treated extremely well on arrival though I am sure they could have given away or reservation easily. Being able to valet at the restaurant helped. Tremendous spot. We will be back. It is a place the man gets to say Ciao bella often to great effect!Special Features:
- Nico was disappointing. SameOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2009Nico was disappointing. Same owner as Strega which we love, but a world of difference. Gum snapping hostess greeted us yet would not seat us at reserved time. Crowded bar, tables were free but are allocated for those that are VIPs. Reservations really don't matter. Food was expensive and mediocre. Nico is known for their meatballs. Our waiter brought us a big dish as we sat down (we were starving and ready to dive into anything.) Meatballs were okay, we disliked them and the waiter less when we saw them listed later on our check. Seems they are brought to every table and added to each check regardless if you order them or not - which we did not. We were not thrilled. Put aside some extra money for a nice dinner and go to Strega.
- We had a blast - disco ball,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2009We had a blast - disco ball, sing-a-long, and all....it was a fun night out - VERY relaxed...enjoyed a pre-graduation dinner with teens. The crowd was hip and fun, and the waiters were adorable - and couldn't have been nicer. We actually were a bit late to our reservation - we called, and there was no problem, even at 10:00 p.m. on a SUNDAY night! Very accommodating...we left laughing, happy, and singing...spilling out into the street near midnight...Special Features:
- Very good! However, we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2009Very good! However, we had an 8:00 reservation and were not seated until almost 8:30 p.m. It was understood, as the restaurant is tiny and the group before us took longer than anticipated. Regardless, the food, drinks and service, we VERY good! The disco music was fun and it was a great place for a social outing! We loved the appetizer meatball and the seafood in all the dishes was very fresh and tasty!Special Features:
- Food was excellent but restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2009Food was excellent but restaurant was very small and very loud. There were a lot of people at the bar so if your table is near there and can be slightly crowded. Disco themed with music and decor. Food was excellent, got the calamari and the mushroom ravioli. Only has a beer/wine/cordials license so the alcohol options are limited. Would definitely go back for the food but if you dont like loud restaurants this isnt your place.Special Features:
- Everything was perfect, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2009Everything was perfect, the atmosphere, staff, and food. It was a fun and different resaurant but the food was just as good if not better than the other placesin the North End but with so much more character. I will be back!Special Features:
- A bit noisy, but food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2009A bit noisy, but food was good. Service not stellar, like at Strega.
- The food and service weremmsm1VIPDined on 5/8/2009The food and service were terrific!!! The atmosphere was nothing special. Next time, we'd like to try Strega, which is owned by the same people. We liked the looks of the atmosphere there. We would definitely go back to Nico, though!Special Features:
- We went to Nico with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2009We went to Nico with a group of 8. They were very attentive and the food was wonderful. Most of the group was running the Boston Marathon the following day and we were all rather particular about what we did and did not want to eat. The chef was very accomodating and basically cooked a dish to order for each of us. Everyone agreed that the food was excellent - fesh ingredients, home-made pastas, very flavorful. The service was also wonderful. The atmosphere is fun - 70's disco but it is very loud. We had a long table and I had a difficult time hearing friends at the other end. However, it was still very enjoyable. We would absolutely return again when in the area.Special Features:
- I went to dinner with 3 otherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2009I went to dinner with 3 other woman for a "girls night out" and really couldn't of had a better time. The only minus was we had reservations for 8:30 pm and did not get seated until a little after 9pm. Normally it would have been frustrating but the music and atmosphere was so great that we were not that bothered by it since we were up at the bar drinking wine. The food was delicious. The waitstaff and hostess were amazing and the owner gave us an appetizer on the house because he was aware of us being seated late. I would definately go back in a heartbeat. I am already thinking of having my birthday dinner there.Special Features:
- We did not know what to expect,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2009We did not know what to expect, but once we arrived it was all up hill from that point. Appetizers, meal & martini's were all excellent. Loved the disco ball & the feeling of energy in the air. We look forward to dining with you again. We have dined before at Strega & we find this place just as nice. Good luck & see you soon. The Alvino'sSpecial Features:
- Great food, generous portions.Jojogo1VIPDined on 4/11/2009Great food, generous portions. The waitress was so nice and friendly and helpful. Love the disco ball and music! Wish they went all the way with the theme by decorating it 70's, but they didn't. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Nico's is a fantastic diningJfadmdVIPDined on 4/11/2009Nico's is a fantastic dining experience that I would recommend to everyone, great ambiance, superior food both flavor and presentation, and great service. Truly, a great experience!!Special Features:
- It was very fun. They tookOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2009It was very fun. They took care of us well, there was wonderful food and huge portions, so prepare to take food home! A celebrity also was there late night which made it even more cool.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, but the staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2009Fabulous food, but the staff is what really sold us!Special Features:
- Nico's was awesome! Small,ColoradoFoodieVIPDined on 3/20/2009Nico's was awesome! Small, but quaint. It's like walking back in time with great italian food. There's 70's music playing with 3 disco balls in the corner rotating and the lights are spinning all around the room/restaurant. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. You don't have the same waiter/waitress. Everyone helps all tables throughout the night. Wine selection is good. Great restaurant, we'll be back! Highly recommended for groups or a birthday night out.Special Features:
- Have the meatball appetizer!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2009Have the meatball appetizer! And the stuffed pepper appetizer too! Such fantastic food. The owner, Nick, also owns Strega, and this is his new venture. His favorite music. His favorite menu items. The food was some of the best I've had in the North End, and I've eaten EVERYWHERE in the North End. Definitely a place to check out. Some folks might not like the atmosphere too much, lots of seventies music, disco light on the ceiling... but the staff is SUPER friendly, attentive, and, once again, the food was amazing, so come with people you like, face away from the disco ball, and concentrate on how fabulous every morsel tastes. They do take-out too!Special Features:
- Great girls night out spot.foryouVIPDined on 3/12/2009Great girls night out spot. don't go too early though it gets crowded later and adds to the fun.Special Features:
- Nico's was amazing! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/27/2009Nico's was amazing! The food was fantastic. As always, the atmosphere is fun and exciting. The best part of the night was when our waiter offered to get us a cannoli (not served at Nico, unfortunately) from their sister resaurant, Strega. He went above and beyond and the cannoli was phenomenal! Thanks for a fun night!Special Features:
- NICO's was fantastic..foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2009NICO's was fantastic..food was unbelievable, portions are large. The service is above a a 10. The owner Nick is so friendly..Special Features:
- Everything is great! LoveMmmmDined on 2/15/2009Everything is great! Love the food, the atmosphere, and excellent service. The music puts you in a good mood.Special Features:
- salads were great: NICO wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009salads were great: NICO was nicely dressed and the cheese on the Cesear was very good After finishing our salads, my husband and I sat and talked for a while. Then the waitress came over and asked if we wanted dessert...we were still waiting for dinner. Not sure what happened, but the dinners arrived about 10 minutes later(with several apologies). I got the pork special - it was very tasty, but the meat was on the tough side and not hot. I considered sending it back - but it was late and I was very hungry since we waited over 30 minutes from when we finished the salads. The side dish: potatoes, asparagus and red pepper were very cold. My husband's Chicken Parm was good & he liked the "Boogie Fever" martini.Special Features:
- Loved this place! The atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/13/2009Loved this place! The atmosphere was fun and the food was great! The waitstaff is very attentive. We were even serenaded by the waiter (who had an amazing voice!). I would give this restaurant a 10!Special Features:
- Everything was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2009Everything was wonderful! The friendly personable charming waitstaff - the food was amazing! The fun atmosphere just made for a great dining experience. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- We loved it! Everyone hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/7/2009We loved it! Everyone had a blast- our server was wonderful. Our host was wonderful. Loved the disco novelty. GREAT for a girls night out!!!Special Features:
- Food was very good. DiscoSharonVIPDined on 2/7/2009Food was very good. Disco ball was fun particularly for our young teens. We were somewhat rushed by the wait staff. The very minute you finished the plate, it was whisked away. The prices for the specials were not on the menu and we were shocked when we learned that the seafood special that two of us ordered in the group, was more than twice the price of the regular entrees. So, the bill was much higher than the quality of the restaurant warranted.
- I though the whole theme ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2009I though the whole theme of the restaurant was great. Food was awesome, servive was awesome, I would definetly go back.Special Features:
- We had reservations for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2009We had reservations for 4 and changed it to 6 without any wait. Service was outstanding, our server was very helpful and friendly. Also Nick the owner was always around with a good word and a smile. I had read mixed reviews about the food, everyone at our table had something different to eat and there was nothing but good reviews. The restaurant was a little small which led to an elevated noise level, but it was not that bad. Yes we would all go to Nico's again.