417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (125)fit for foodies (95)romantic (88)special occasion (81)notable wine list (52)hot spot (23)good for groups (16)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Better than ever.....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014No matter where I travel or how long I am gone it is always a pleasure to return to the North End and Nico's. The Amir, Hakim is always ready to impress my guests. This year I spent most my time traveling and of course dining out and entertaining. No one does that better than Hakim and Nico's. Very willing to please even the fussiest guest that I entertain this time creating the dish that wasn't exactly on the menu. kudos to the staff and kitchen.Special Features:
- Excellent foodTandCDined on 8/7/2014Great food and good service in a nice North End location. The food portions wer enormous. Would love to see slightly less food and lower expense for the experience.Special Features:
- LovinBoston2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was excellent.... Hostess was very attentive and so was the wait staff.... My favorite place to eat in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/5/2014We booked a table for 5 last minute not knowing what to expect. It was everything you could ask for as a tourist eating Italian on the North Side. As we finished a five part acapella group sang. It was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ItalianSjbeatsDined on 8/3/2014This was a great find out of a large number of possibilities in Boston's Italian North End. From the evidently home-made bread through the appetizer and the entrees, each course was perfectly cooked and attractively presented. Well rounded wine list and the service was both friendly and respectful. My companions were native Italians in the restaurant business and we were all very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchDvrdinerDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I had lunch here and it was fantastic. First, they take reservations, so that was good because we do not like to stand in line for a long time, which can happen around here. For the North End, the size of the restaurant was roomy. We had the special appetizer, prosciutto, arugula, grilled artichokes, tomatoes, mozarrella: delicious! It was really a large portion, so for two people I would only order one to share, and then entrees, which were also a hearty portion. I had the spaghetti and calamari, and he had the special frutti di mare with pasta. Service and food excellent. I would definitely try to to back for dinner.Special Features:
- mbn5Dined on 8/2/2014We had a group of 5 and everyone loved their meals! The food was fantastic and the service was outstanding! Such a great experience, I would highly recommend Nico!Special Features:
- Perfect Italian dinnerGoodfoodies88Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful food! We had a a salad special with delicious fresh tomatoes, a shrimp special with zucchini, the carbonara, and the spaghetti with bolognese sauce. We took the wine recommendation and were not disappointed. The service was attentive but not intrusive. They knew we were from out-of-town and thus would not be regulars, but they went out of their way to give us a great dinner. We'll go back whenever we are in Boston. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't wait to go backPortlandDined on 8/1/2014One of the most memorable meals I've had in the North End. The pasta was wonderful. The burratta was delicious and the meatballs were probably the best I've ever had. Service was very friendly and they treated my 7 year old daughter so kindly. With so many wonderful choices in the North End it stands out. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendbdayDined on 7/31/2014The food and service were excellent. I sat at the bar and enjoyed the activity outdoors at the fire house across the street and the feast preparations beginning that night. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Great food and wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014The staff at Nico made us feel great on our 3-year wedding anniversary. Kendra and Tyler were excellent, amicable, and professional. The food was great: try the linguine+clams, it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buttons209VIPDined on 7/30/2014The best linguine with clams I ever had. It was great atmosphere and wait staff was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Great serviceBeijosDotVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have enjoyed meals at Strega (same owner)on several occasions so thought I was curious to try this smaller, more intimate eatery. Excellent menu -- homemade burrata, pasta, etc. and delightful wine list. The service was thoughtful, well informed and attentive. Easy to have a conversation even though the restaurant was full. Windows opened to the street which was great on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner !!!BigDukeSixDined on 7/27/2014I went to Nico's for a nice romantic dinner with my girlfriend to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. The staff reserved a lovely table for us at the front of the restaurant overlooking the street. While waiting for our table, we sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple of cocktails while we discussed the menu with the bartender who was fantastic with her demeanor and recommendations. For dinner we split a fantastic caprese style salad but was a special for the day and then we also split a surf and turf which was a 10 ounce filet and a lobster tail stuffed with all kinds of seafood and had the lobster meat also.. I can't say enough about the staff, the food, and the experience at Nico's. When I'm back in Boston, I'll be back at Nico's... !Special Features:
- Delish!kbeansVIPDined on 7/24/2014I was in Boston for the evening, walked up to this cute restaurant and had an amazing dinner. Our server, Bruno, was polite and he had extensive knowledge of both the menu and wine list. He was especially sweet to my 10 year old daughter. I ordered chicken parmesan and it was one of the best I've ever had. Hand made pasta, delicate sauce, generous portion. If I'm ever back in Boston, I'll be at Nico! Enjoy!!!Special Features:
- North End FindAshvEdVIPDined on 7/22/2014Took our granddaughter here while on vacation in Boston. Food was quite good and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RokoVIPDined on 7/21/2014We went here to celebrate my friends birthday. We had a great table, excellent service and awesome food. I really don't like veal very much but the waiter suggested the special and it was the best veal I ever ate!!! The sangria was amazing also!! We loved this restaurant and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A Great FindBrooklynFoodieDined on 7/21/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Good food. Great fried calamari served with a spicy sauce rather than the standard red sauce. Very good job with the standard southern Italian dishes. The waiter was wonderful. Recommended a nice glass of wine and went out of his way to find something my 16 year-old son would enjoy for dessert even though it wasn't on the menu. We were treated like old friends even though it was our first time at Nico. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- PerfectIrishblueDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I went to Nico's to celebrate our anniversary. We had never been there before, but we will definitely be back. The hostess was friendly and sweet and we got a seat right at the window, she took our picture with my phone and was so pleasant. Our waiter was also welcoming, knowledgable and friendly. My husband and I both ordered the chicken parmigiana and it was delicious. The atmosphere, food and staff made our night extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time had by allAlMichele84VIPDined on 7/20/2014We went to Nico after several hours of researching North End restaurants - and it paid off big time. The staff was inviting, attentive and friendly. The food was fantastic, our group of six could have not been more pleased. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- DebbieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, wine and our table was right at the window. Hostess and server could have been friendlier. Made dining a bit uncomfortable.Special Features:
- JDB35VIPDined on 7/19/2014As usual, a wonderful dinner with attentive service. The Caprese appetizer special was extraordinary, as was the Vitello Saltimbuca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly EnjoyableMayorKazDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I have enjoyed Nico several times and our recent experience was outstanding! Every visit to Boston will include a dinner at what has become our favorite restaurant in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findKWatsVIPDined on 7/17/2014Out of town customer. I had the lobster crapes. They were unbelievable. Fabulous service. Excellent open table suggestionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night!LoveBostonDined on 7/17/2014I had planned a nice evening in the North End. I had never been to Nico before but I read its reviews and thought I'd give it a try. It's a small, quaint place with a great atmosphere. It has 2 floors of dining space but I would request seating upstairs. We had the best table in the house! We were at a small table in the corner by the open window overlooking Hanover Street. It was very romantic and although the place was packed, we really felt like we were the only ones there. The food was great; our drinks were fantastic; our server was attentive, yet gave us some privacy--it was a very nice balance. I will definitely be going back to Nico in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifico!Jaman87Dined on 7/14/2014Chosen at random, this was our first trip to Nico. A quick view of the reviews looked ok so my wife a business colleague and I made an 8pm reservation. We were seated near the kitchen entrance. The restaurant was small but comfortable ant there was no issue with traffic from the kitchen. We had the Caprese and a sausage stuffed pepper for an appetizer. Both were excellent. My wife had a Rigatoni and seafood based dish. The meal had some impressively large scallops and it was delicious. I had a Rigatoni dish but with sausage and artichoke hearts. The pasta was clearly homemade and perfect. The portions were generous. The wine list was good with some mid-priced selections. Wait staff was attentive but not in your face. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Nicks other restaurantsMarc8802VIPDined on 7/12/2014We recently went to Nico. We have been there roughly four times over the past three years. The food is always excellent. The service was very good as well. We have been to Strega on a couple occasions and Strega waterfront once. Nico has the best food out of the three restaurants by far. I was actually really disappointed with the food at Strega waterfront. The menu seemed like it was created by a confused chef who could not or would not cook anything that was even half way recognizable as a traditional Italian dish. It was also incredibly seafood heavy, (and if you are looking for seafood maybe that is the place). In sum, Nico is excellent, skip Strega and go to the original restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliscious!Cyn78thiaDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful evening at Nico. The service was great and the food was outstanding! I had the risotto with truffle oil and I don't think I have had a better meal. My husband had the lobster ravioli and loved it. It was a great spot for a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!thankfulDined on 7/12/2014This past weekend I had a small surprise birthday dinner for my mother in law. The food was perfect, the service was fantastic. .honestly I was nervous having a dinner somewhere I have never been..but I really lucked out..can't wait to go back. Also the valet parking made it easy for out of towners to not have to worry about parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night out.. Nico's fit the billDebBostonDined on 7/11/2014Service was great - it's your typical small restaurant in the North End. Good food, wine and ambiance.Special Features:
- A fun eveningwestenderVIPDined on 7/8/2014We came here for the second time with friends. It was a Tuesday evening, and the place was hopping. A full bar, gracious staff and a 5 man group singing 'In the Jungle' with a great falsetto set the festive mood. The food was as wonderful as our last visit, and the service was good even with every table full. We shared an amazing appetizer special of burrata, tomatoes and prosciutto de Parma, then we each had a pasta entrée. Every plate was cleaned! This an exceptional North End restaurant on the quiet end of Hanover Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico BostonMMMMDined on 7/4/2014We had a reservation for 5 and asked to increase to 10 with less than 24 hours notice., Very accommodating. Unfortunately we were seated downstairs. Very low ceiling and felt a bit closed in. Service was very good. Would recommend to a friend but try and be seated upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food/ServiceBN23Dined on 7/1/2014I went for a 30th birthday dinner and had an excellent time. The food was delicious (Burrata appetizer- special of the day, Chicken Saltimbocca, & Fettuccini Carbonara) The wait staff was friendly, professional, and thoughtful. Couldn't have asked for a better dining experience. I will be dining here again in the future.Special Features:
- A little stuffyToofancyforusDined on 6/30/2014The food was good but the tables were very crowded. The bus boy accidentally elbowed me in the head while clearing the table next to us.
- Great foodramcoDined on 6/29/2014We enjoyed the food and the service. Very good bread and a great bar. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the heart of the north endbajaDined on 6/23/2014The service was impeccable and special requests were encouraged. Great food, service, ambiance and sangria!! Fun to walk through the north end before and after dinner as well!Special Features:
- Great Sunday Night DinnerurdinerVIPDined on 6/22/2014This was a last minute reservation and it was a great choice. The service was very good and the food was excellent. The burrata special was superb! A very comfortable restaurant with a nice vibe. We sat upstairs and even on a Sunday night it was quite busy. There is a dining room downstairs as well, both are relatively small, which is fairly typical for many of the restaurants in the North End. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit -- will returnJosephVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was our first time at Nico and we recommended it to good friends the next day. While a small very busy restaurant, we were very appreciative of receiving a table right by an open window over looking the sidewalk. Very pleasant setting on a very pleasant evening. Our reservation was accommodated right on time and all the help was extremely courteous and professional. We were thanked for selecting the restaurant more then once. The food was excellent, a very good wine list and overall an excellent experience.Special Features:
- It's a cute little placejkingDined on 6/21/2014I read a recommendation to request a seat upstairs - based on the size of the restaurant (very small), I would consider this a great recommendation. The food was good - meatballs and arancini were great. I had the "world's best" lobster ravioli. I wouldn't recommend it - it had a very fishy taste, as opposed to the sweet deliciousness of lobster that I was expecting. The other entrees were much better. Overall, I thought their pastas were really good. The waiter was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food Alot of RulesgreatfoodDined on 6/16/2014When we arrived one of our party of four had not yet arrived and we were instructed to sit at the bar, not allowed at table until fourth person arrived. One of the men wore a fedora and was told immediately that he had to remove it, he would have removed it anyway, but not given a chance. Once the fourth party arrived we were instructed to immediately sit at the table. Not welcoming too many rules - however the food and service were outstanding.Special Features: