La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Pier 1 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamarsf.com/
- Phone: 4153978880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days a week 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: 7 days a week Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Gastón Acurio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mayra Montoya (415)397-8880 x204
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Cross Street: Washington and The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking can be found on Pier 3. Lunch: $10 for first 2 hours ($5 each additional hour) Dinner: $20 Flat rate There is also a public parking across the street on the Northwest corner of Washington St. and the Embarcadero.
A word from La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana reviews from OpenTable diners
416 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (268)fit for foodies (237)special occasion (194)great for outdoor dining (184)good for groups (155)great for lunch (124)vibrant bar scene (106)romantic (105)hot spot (100)great for brunch (59)neighborhood gem (57)notable wine list (51)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Good food, good service. All would have been perfect if the hostess hadn't referred to my dad as my "significant other!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, slow service-at lunch!OutoftownerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Getting seated was slow--it was clear that the person doing the seating forgot about us. When someone else asked if we had a reservation we were seated almost immediately. After that it took a while to get our menus, than longer to order, then still longer for the food to arrive. When the food arrived the skewer that was supposed to be coho was mahi-mahi, and the rest of of the dishes (cebiche, pork sandwich) were good but not inspired. Lovely location on the water, however, helped things.
- What a culinary delight!BarbaraFVIPDined on 8/10/2014I love this place. We ate here for the first time two weeks ago and then re-booked quickly so we could go back again. All of the food at this Peruvian restaurant is delicious. And the great thing is that it's so creative. There are items on their menu that you don't see anywhere else. What a refreshing change from the Asian and pan-Asian we see so much of in SF. Be sure to try one or more ceviches for starters (great to share!) and their empanadas are also great. But the really unique stuff is the entrees. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fresh, unusual food + great serviceLovesfoodDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner with friends on the enclosed sun deck--with heat lamps room was very cozy. Outstanding view of the bay and Bay bridge! But the food was the highlight, wonderfully prepared Peruvian dishes with a bit of an Asian fusion flair. Our waiter, from Lima (sorry I don't recall the name) was charming and very helpful with descriptions and menu suggestions. Had lunch here previously and enjoyed meal from open sun deck with stunning views. Street parking is quite easy on weekend nights. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- second visitIronik1Dined on 8/9/2014My concerns after my first visit had been addressed and our dining experience was memorable. Our server took time to enlighten us with new information about the offerings and give recommendations. The menu was more navigable than the menu for lunch in May. We had a wonderful dinner and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat CustomerMikeinOaklandDined on 8/8/2014I've been to La Mar many times for both business and pleasure. I found Friday night lacking. We had a late reservation and were put out on the back patio tent. A bit odd since tables were turning and there were only 2 other parties seated in the tent area which is a large space. Over time it filled in with another 4 parties, but it was still in the Outback. Service was so-so, food very good as expected. Overall I was left underwhelmed after having dined here about 5 other times. I expected a bit more from ambience and service.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spotsaraheb832Dined on 8/8/2014Took a friend here while he was in town visiting, we both loved the food and the view! I don't know if we could have found a better Friday lunch spot!Special Features:
- Good food/Ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014I asked for window seat when I made my reservation - I didn't get it. When we asked the front desk girl if we could be seated by a window and they said yes and then took us to a table even further from the window..hmm. But they did surprise my fiancee with a birthday cake at the end which was nice. Great Ceviche - the tuna/avocado combo is the best. I will go back for the Ceviches. The whipped potatoes are good but pricy, I liked the one with lobster the best. Empanados are overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice idea, spotty serviceMelroseDined on 8/7/2014We were excited to patronize La Cebicheria Peruana because it supports sustainable fishing practices. The food was good, sometimes very good. We were seated early in the lunch hour, but we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our entrees. There staff was active in our area, but we were still lost in the shuffle. When the food arrived, some had gone cold from waiting for the delayed entrees. Finally, they cleared our placemats, napkins, and cutlery while we were still sitting, as if anxious for us to leave. We do not want to say all the service is bad; other tables seemed well served. We may have been the unlucky ones. We hope the restaurant will make an effort to prevent future such situations.Special Features:
- We'll Return!zrdcDined on 8/5/2014The food at La Mar is excellent - exotic flavors, creative dishes, and attractive presentation. We especially enjoyed the cebiches and the desserts during our small plates dinner. Servers were efficient and attentive. La Mar is a large open restaurant that gets noisy, so I don't recommend it for intimate or romantic dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only the bar at la marJacklynHydeDined on 8/3/2014The bar and the cocktails are the only redeeming aspect of this restaurant. The food was painfully mediocre and overly salty and our server never seemed to notice we were there. I would not come back based on service alone.Special Features:
- A Chilean neighbourDdrdentDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Well prepared. Fun flavours. Wish Gaston opened a restaurant in Vancouver.Special Features:
- The bestahn01112Dined on 8/2/2014I ate here last weekend. I'm a 26-yo male with a general culinary preference for salty American food (pizza, french fries, etc). I will eat at random ethnic or international restaurants not because I need variety (I don't) but because other, normal people with whom I like to dine, do. I guess it's the spice of life. Sushi, Chinese, seafood, Italian, Korean BBQ, etc. --- I have tried them all and they're all fine by me, but I've never been able to eat at one of those places in SF and say honestly to myself, "I would have rather eaten this food than a Toma burrito / a Roam hamburger / a Tony's pizza". Until now! I was blown away at La Mar. Native cocktails, empanadas, the cebiche sampler, the Yuca chips/sticks, and chicken skewers. My God...Special Features:
- Once more, fantastic!!CaroleeDined on 8/2/2014I was here only a week ago with my husband, but I came again with a friend. I was a little bit worried it would seem old to me because such a short time had passed. But no, the food was fantastic as usual, and I ordered something different. My friend had broiled heart, which is a scary thing for me, and she made me try it, it was delicious!!! The pisco sour is a wonderful way to start if you are new to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Poorly managed restaurant, bad servChrisVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was fine but not as good as la mar in lima. Waiter at table was okay. The horrible experience was waiting 45 min with a reservation. No apologies. No polite comments. No complimentary drink at the bar. Just a rude front desk woman who was unable to communicate that we would eventually be seated at 9:15 pm when we had an 8:30 reservation. This was particularly hard for the pregnant woman in our group, left standing at the front desk for 45 min while suffering low blood sugar from the wait.
- If only I had something to drink..LeaRDined on 7/31/2014I love this place but throughout the entire night it seemed impossible to get a drink. While waiting for our table to be ready my guest and I went to the bar for a drink and were not served in the entire 10 minutes. We were actively ignored by the bar tender who was paying attention to just one needy couple asking for special drinks. Then we had to go to our table and wait again for the server to come by to try again to order a drink. Later a glass of wine took about 15 minutes to show up after my entree had already come out. dissapointingSpecial Features:
- Breezy dining in the walkthroughethanDined on 7/30/2014An area of the restaurant that is not in the main dining room is in the space that is a walkthrough of the waterfront sidewalk with large glass doors on either side. That's where we were seated and it looks kind of like a picnic area. Although the food is great, every time someone would walk through and open the glass doors, we received a blast of cold air. Next time, I would definitely request not to be seated in that area.Special Features:
- DELICIOUSArtichokeheartDined on 7/30/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food was outstanding in every way and the service was memorable, high quality, and unpretentious.Special Features:
- Good food, subpar service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014The food was good but not great. A dish with scallop as the first ingredient had just 1 piece of scallop. The service was lacking, it took a long time to get water after getting seated and our entrees came before the chips (free appetizer) arrived and we had to ask for the chips. We had to constantly flag the server for anything including the chips and had a long wait for the check at the end as well. It's nice and energetic inside but not that loud so you don't have to shout to have conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous!GoodVIPDined on 7/29/2014Wonder fabulous experience.... going back again and again, thanksSpecial Features:
- Good food, great ambiencePnjabanVIPDined on 7/29/2014I have enjoyed eating here twice in the past month for business lunches. With a very varied menu, California-sized healthy portions presented with style and a very nice tropical feel on the outdoor terrace, it's a midday treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on patioReneeMDined on 7/28/2014Beautiful view and wonderful food makes La Mar one of my favorite restaurants in SF!Special Features:
- DownhillHstudVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food is nowhere as good as it used to be. Went here because it was my nieces favorite restaurant and we haven't eaten here in over a year. Portions smaller, food was just OK
- Unusual CuisineTravelerDined on 7/26/2014If you want to try unusual cuisine--vegetables, sauces, spices--La Mar is worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereFoodieDined on 7/26/2014I had excellent experience at La mar!!! We sat on there outdoor patio which I requested with a nice view and heated lamp. The service was great and fast and food totally amazing!! Presentation was beautiful. We ordered the ceviche sampler and it was so fresh and so delicious! There mix was amazing. Then the empanadas platter and skewers sampler which was cooked so perfect and marinaded just right. Everything was fresh Abd presentation amazing again! We finished the night with the steak medallions dinner with potatoes and it just melted In your mouth. We shared a expensive dessert which was nice too! Overall great food, great service, great experience Amd I will go back or recommend to friends!! Just a little pricey but worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Mar Sets the BarToughCriticVIPDined on 7/26/2014La Mar has exquisite food, excellent service, and amazing food to share. Sit on the patio with incredible views of the bay, day or night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place, it is a MustDonaDined on 7/25/2014Our waiter, James made such a great job, he's bilingual and super fun. He did a better job than the 100%... and the food is amazing, fresh, delicate, if you like fish this place is a Must for you.Special Features:
- Excellent for a DateBoricuaDined on 7/25/2014Very nice setting with the exception of the tables for 2. Your date is seated too far away from you. Nice and clean, gorgeous views. Parking next door for $10. Staff with excellent customer service, nice and professional. And of Course the most important issue the food it is great.Special Features:
- La Mar Cebicheria for LunchSalFDined on 7/23/2014I love the food! The ceviches are all surprisingly varied and delicious. The staff is generous with their time and very helpful. The outdoor venue is delightful, if not a bit too noisy. The indoor seating is serene and lovely. We had several types of mixtos (skewers), all very tasty and a good proportion for lunch, considering the the multitude of appetizers we tried. The corazon was delightfully chewy and richly flavored.The jaleas (deep fried squid, mussels, prawns and fish) was fun to see and eat, but a bit too large. The prawns were the highlight, I wish there were more.Special Features:
- Sunday Lunch at La MarKevinSDined on 7/20/2014Lar Mar scratched my occasional itch for raw fish at Sunday lunch. Located on the water at the Embarcadero, it features views of the bay in a "soft" industrial setting - large white room, big windows, exposed ducting, irrigation and structural elements. There is a large outside dining area, but I ate inside. Started with a Pisco sour - never had one before - it was great, but I have nothing to compare it with. Lunch started with the tiradito passion, an attractively plated salmon dish with a passion fruit leche de tigre with a glass of albarino. Followed up with the grilled beef heart skewer, beefy with a mild innard background flavor, and a glass of Carneros pinot noir. Everything was very fresh and service was attentive and well informed.Special Features:
- Good food, no attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014The food is always delicious and the staff is accommodating unlike a lot of the higher end restaurants in the city. We always have a good time at La Mar. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014great service, great food, great neighboorhood & the servers are very welcoming will go there againSpecial Features:
- Peruvian and beyondOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Inventive and flavorful food, there were two good octopus dishes on the menu, the lomo saltado was a good follow-up to a variety of seafood ceviches and appetizers. Good selection of Spanish wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian cuisineJackieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Had a great lunch. We all had different entrees which made it fun to share. We all would like to return.Special Features:
- Great food and view!NVEaterVIPDined on 7/13/2014Such an excellent location, the design of the restaurant and view are fabulous for both lunch or brunch! We had an excellent waiter, very attentive and kind. However the host was a little rude and seemed bothered that we were there (we did have reservations). Only other negative was bathroom cleanliness-- while the facility 'looked clean' there was an overwhelming smell of urine that definitely was hard to forget in order to enjoy the meal. Odd that such a beautiful dining room didn't have 'facilities' to match. Other than that, food was interesting and flavorful-- cocktails were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant evening experienceoccasfdineDined on 7/12/2014The service was outstanding by every individual who participated in making it a special birthday evening. Service was friendly, timely, professional, and proactive. The flavors of all dishes we ordered (2 entrees, an appetizer and a salad) were good and distinct from the other dishes, and the texture of the seafood was perfect. I might have given an outstanding rating for the food except that several dishes came with good sized portions of flavored mashed potatoes. The quinoa salad was wonderful except there was too little of it on top of a larger amount of flavored mashed potatoes. The ambience was relaxed, and the food presentation is what you would expect for a restaurant of this caliber. We had a memorable and enjoyable birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 7/11/2014Great for special occasion. We'll definitely return. overall evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Siempre Fantastico!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a wonderful time here, and the food was great. We were a group of seven ladies, celebrating a birthday in the group. and it was just perfect. We were able to order the very "shareable" appetizers including the great Ceviche sampler, the anticuchos (skeweres), Yucca frita, and empanadas - so satisfied and very happy. Great desserts too, which I had never tried before.Special Features:
- better than beforenaninniVIPDined on 7/8/2014been there 3 times - and its was always good but this time it was outstanding. will be going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pongee13VIPDined on 7/7/2014Food isn't as good as years' past and certain menu items are overpriced (i.e. Quinoa Causa Salad).Special Features: