The Spiced Pear
117 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Spiced Pear
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechanler.com/dining
- Phone: 4018472244
- Hours of Operation:
The Spiced Pear opens daily for dinner from 5:30pm - 9:30pm. The Spiced Pear dinner menu is available in our Main dinning room only.
Dinner reservations are recommended.
Lunch is served in our Veranda Sunroom daily from 12pm to 3pm.
Al fresco dining, daily from noon to close on the Cliff Walk Terrace serving our lighter fare menu (weather permitting, call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Duffy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Winthrop Room - Provides seating for up to 8 guests. The entire restaurant can be contracted for private parties and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Wood (401)847-2244 x
- Entertainment: Fireside Jazz with Dick Lupino and his musicians, every Friday night from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Special Events: Live Jazz on Friday nights, Romance Dinner Packages, Chef's table, private dinners,
A word from The Spiced Pear
Welcome to The Spiced Pear Restaurant offering the very best in Newport fine dining. We use only the freshest seasonal ingredients from New England and abroad. Enjoy fine dining in a beautiful oceanfront setting. The Spiced Pear Restaurant located in The Chanler at Cliff Walk is a Newport treasure waiting to be discovered! The best of Newport awaits you with endless cliff-side Atlantic views, romantic atmosphere and the highest quality service. The spiced pear dinner menu is served in our main dining room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Spiced Pear - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Spiced Pear reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (60)romantic (59)special occasion (59)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (33)great for outdoor dining (27)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Best way to bring in New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Can't say enough. We had a wonderful evening along with food, service and atmosphere. Come here a lot and will continue too.Special Features:
- This evening at the spicedlovenewportDined on 12/21/2013This evening at the spiced pear was not quite what my wife and I are accustom. We frequent the Spiced Pear many times a year especially when we are in newport. Everything was fantastic with the service and ambience, however the food was not what we were expecting. Usually the food far exceeds our expectations with flawless food preparation and flavors. On this occasion the food was not exceptional. One example: Ordered medium rare buffalo steak, and received portions overcooked and dry. We determined the outcome was due to a late seating, which was at 8:30pm before Christmas. On a better note, the Expresso Souffle dessert was flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special placenptlvrDined on 12/7/2013Old world elegance. Beautiful and delicious dining. Romantic. Comfortable. The perfect location for a special night. Our compliments to the chef. Staff should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoriteslivetoeatVIPDined on 12/7/2013You can't go wrong with the Spiced Pear. The atmosphere and service are top notch. We did the chefs tasting this time and it was wonderful. The flavors and textures were divine. They know how to make a souffle. It nice to have a drink at the bar before dinner. My husband says they make an awesome Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing eveningVinoloverDined on 11/23/2013This was not our first time at the Spiced Pear, and it will not be our last. From the moment you drive up, the staff is friendly, accommodating, and pleasant. The servers are very knowledgeable and are quick to please. They work in teams and there is always someone nearby to help. You can have either ala cart or the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairings. We have done both and they have been fabulous. The ambience if very intimate and romantic. We highly recommend the Spice Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Dining ExperienceExcellentDined on 11/23/2013The Spiced Pear is located right on Memorial Boulevard in Newport and sits right at the entrance to the Cliffwalk. By virtue of this location you have beautiful views of First Beach. The food there, even though on the pricey side, is exceptional. The wait staff knows their jobs well and were attentive without being intrusive. I would highly recommend this for a special dining experience on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Spiced PearLiza27VIPDined on 11/16/2013Beautiful location, beautiful dining room, great, attentive & friendly service, BUT was expecting the food to be outstanding & it wasn't - it was good, but definitely not great.Special Features:
- Perfect for a Romantic DInnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/10/2013My boyfriend and I dined here during Restaurant Week Fall 2013, and we had a great dinner. The food was delicious and the restaurant was lovely. We left feeling satisfied, but not over-stuffed. It was a romantic getaway weekend for us, so this was the perfect place for dinner. We could not see the view though, as it was very dark out. I imagine this would be lovely for brunch or lunch when the sun was shining.Special Features:
- NEVER DISAPPOINTSJoJoDined on 11/10/2013We have eaten several times at the Spiced Pear, and each time is better than the last. We always visit during restaurant week, and this week was no exception. The food was fabulous and the service top notch. The waitstaff always remembers us, and we are always warmly greeted. We started by ordering a bottle of reasonably priced lovely white wine. My dining companion and I both had the potato leek soup, which was creamy and delicious, followed by the wonderfully generous shrimp entree with white cheddar polenta and organic vegetables. For dessert, I had the bread pudding w/vanilla bean ice cream on a delicious anglaise, and my companion had the profiterole trio w/chocolate mousse and ice cream. We left stuffed, happy and satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMrsRobiDined on 11/10/2013Everything about our experience was wonderful will have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very generous with their portionsMaxFish10Dined on 11/10/2013Very generous with their portions during restaurant week in Newport. Great presentation!Special Features:
- Newport Restautrant WeekCaretinaDined on 11/9/2013Great dinner at the Spiced Pear on Saturday evening. Appreciated the fact that even though we all chose from the reduced price menu of Newport Restautrant Week. The food, service and ambiance were still of the high standards that you would come to expect at any other time of the year that you would dine at The Chandler at Cliff Walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spiced Pear DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2013Wonderful view, gourmet fresh local dishes and Cole as our fabulous waiter made for a very memorable evening. The burgundy escargot, mussels in lobster broth, veal cheek ravioli and the duck breast well all terrific! Friday evening jazz in the bar adds to the ambiance through the restaurant. Cole is a true professional wait-staff / server and ranks with the best of those in European Relais et Chateau restaurants.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013We had a wonderful dinner as always when we dine here. Cole is a fantastic waiter and always remembers us and is ever so kind.Special Features:
- Haughty WaiterBrianDined on 11/7/2013My wife and I decided to select items off the price fix portion of the menu because those selections appealed to us more than the regular menu. After ordering, there was a marked attitutude difference from our waiter and we received limited attention compared to the diners surrounding us. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itEsprit41376Dined on 11/6/2013A memorable food experience but not over-the-top because we came during restaurant week :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An AH-mazing date nightEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 11/3/2013We were able to squeeze in from a last minute cancelled reservation that popped up on opentable.com. Our friends told us about their martinis and I have never had a better drink before in my life. I got the French Pear martini and my husband had the Spiced Pear martini. So delicious!! We took advantage of the restaurant week menu, which was a phenomenal deal for such a great date place. We both started off with the mussels which we both thought were very good especially with the bread that we sopped up the broth with. I ordered the statler chicken and my husband got the blank angus short rib. The chicken was moist and flavorful and the short rib was beyond tender. So yummy!! We both got the bread pudding, which was ok. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingwilltravel4foodDined on 11/1/2013A very beautiful scenic dining area. Tasteful live music. Many empty tables. Our service was very slow. They forgot our bread. My salad was brought out too soon and left us waiting 30 minutes for the entree. After the food came out the server immediately asked us how it was but we only had a bite. HD never checked on us so I could not tell him my vegetables were under cooked. The price of the steak entrée was exorbitant for the little amount of meat on the plate. The menu should have had a weight on the meat. We also noticed many families dining with young children. If you like to watch the kitchen in action you have a clear view to the chef.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Experience!StephDined on 10/27/2013Such a memorable experience. The food was fresh and fantastic. The ambiance was INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to go back next time I am in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, friendlyDecklynDined on 10/27/2013Impeccable service, friendly accommodating. Beautiful scenery and ambiance. The food was excellently prepared. Highly recommend this beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Top Notch Dining!GetLADined on 10/25/2013I found this place from a top ten romantic resturant email. I have dined all over Newport and never heard of the Spiced Pear in the Hotel Chandler. To sum it up, you feel like you are dining in the princess castle eating the food of royalty. Well maybe that is over doing it a bit, but the food is all composed plates that every bite goes to well with each other. The waiters are at your beck and call, and the ambiance, if it was spring/summer would blow you away. We went in the Fall so it was a bit cold if you want to walk the grounds. The breathtaking views, of what we could see being night time and the hotel/mansion itself actually made us think about having our wedding there. Very Pricey, but what isn't at a Newport Mansion for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnernewportDined on 10/19/2013My dinner was tasteful (shrimp and scallop) but portion very small. My husband disliked the blackfish....tasted like soysauce. Water glass not refilled. Only 1 piece of bread offered (really... for the price of the dinners to be limited to 1 piece of bread??). Seats at tables situated so that you feel like you're having dinner with couple at table across from you. Requested table closest to window with ocean view...didn't get it. Left hungry after expensive dinner. Extremely disappointed!Special Features:
- A Foodie's dreamSandyCDined on 10/17/2013We tried the tasting menu and it was heaven! From start to finish everything was perfect: atmosphere, service, wine, and of course food. I highly recommend this restaurant! If you are visiting Newport, You should plan on eating at the Spiced Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charm and CharacterLouieLouieVIPDined on 10/17/2013Perched above the Cliff Walk and with a water view, this restaurant is a fine choice, but there is a significant flaw that needs correction by management. The main dining room has an open kitchen and from anywhere in that room, the sound of the kitchen ventilation system was so loud that it distracted from the otherwise excellent experience. Service was excellent and we were pleased with the food. It was too cool on an October evening to sit outside but that would be a great alternative weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everEATODined on 10/13/2013My husband and I dined at the Spiced Pear on our first trip to Rhode Island. Memorable experience. Wonderful staff. Delicious food skillfully prepared. My husband had the lobster and he is still talking about it days later. I had the halibut which was excellent. Already told several people how much we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Gem!LaurieVIPDined on 10/4/2013This place is fabulous for romance or that special occasion dinner. Great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceMorningbirdDined on 10/1/2013The Spiced Pear is a beautiful restaurant with wonderful food, drinks, atmosphere and attentive staff. My family and I have dined here for my October birthday three times in the last four years. It is very memorable and worth every penny. I have never been disappointed and look forward to returning next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Onion soup special was verySWlwVIPDined on 9/28/2013Onion soup special was very good as was my Robins Nest martini. My husband and I were pretty disappointed with our main courses and dessert With wine and drinks our bill came to over $250. We woul be ok to pay that for a good meal but this was not a memorable one.Special Features:
- Excellent MealJohnDined on 9/28/2013I have had several occasions to eat at the Spiced Pear over the last five years. The food is always excellent and the service is perfect, attentive, but not smothering. Another nice evening with my Wife and daughter in college. Thank you.Special Features:
- Nice special occasionNewporterDined on 9/27/2013Very nice evening. Attentive but not hovering wait staff. The tomatoes in the salad were firm, but tasteless. The escargot with burgundy sauce was very good, different than the traditional garlic butter. The rib eye was perfect as was the duck. Portions were sufficient, although the supporting vegetable and starch were meager.The waiter was very good, congratulated us more than once on it being our 44th anniversary. Wine list was pricey for the value. They did a nice job of seating couples at tables in the room with a view and groups, who would be expectedly noisier, in an adjacent room. Much improved from out first experience a few years ago, now we will return more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambitiousoptimisticVIPDined on 9/21/2013Setting here is marvelous, kitchen staff obviously very motivated. However, several things left me ambivalent about the prospect of a return. Don't think an open kitchen serves this venue well at all. Were seated near the open kitchen when other, quieter tables were available. Found proximity of the kitchen a distraction rather than an asset, as I normally do. As this is a very pretty place, I would have liked to enjoy the dining space for what it is focusing on the setting. Our appetizers were a disappointment - the soup, the idea of which was admirable, was bland. My heirloom tomato salad arrived with seriously under ripe tomatoes and virtually no dressing. Lovely looking plate, though. Entrees very good but slightly over salted.Special Features:
- memorablepakaDined on 9/20/2013on two occasions I had to ask another server to get my waiter perhaps he was busy in main dinning room ,food was outstanding drinks plentiful, wine selection extentive and over pricey we look forward to going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experiencemrpalateDined on 9/15/2013The Spiced Pear at The Chandler Hotel in Newport RI is not only situated on the cliff walk for a spectacular view of Brenton Point, it provides its diners with an incredible menu & service fit for royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2013Outside eating wasn't available because of a wedding but inside is also very nice. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013We celebrated our 10th anniversary at The Spiced Pear and it was the perfect choice! Everything from the food to the ambiance to the service was top notch. We had an amazing view of the water (definitely request a table with a view). It was the perfect spot for our special date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty night after a stressful daymariacDined on 9/8/2013After getting our son off to college in Providence, we decided to spend the night in Newport. The Spiced Pear provided us with a beautiful setting (we ate indoors, but sat by the windows overlooking the beach). My martini was pricey ($15) but good, as were our wine choices. Lobster bisque soup was wonderful, but my halibut was a bit overcooked and dried out. The souffle was a special way to end the evening. We would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencefoodieDined on 9/7/2013Fabulous food, attentive staff, overall highly recommended!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/2/2013I read the great reviews before making reservations and it certainly lived up to expectations. From the great food to the terrific service, The Spiced Pear ranks among the best in Newport. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Dining ExperienceKevins1ladyDined on 8/31/2013We had a wonderful evening. The wait staff was very attentive, able to answer questions and recommended wines for paring. We started with zucchini flowers and this was the first time I had them prepared NOT deep fried. They were filled with a beautiful gorgonzola cheese stuffing that made you want to lick the plate. We had the roasted corn soup which was delicious, creamy nothing like I have before. My husband had scallops and shrimp perfectly done with an amazing sauce. I had the duck breast which was accompanied with root vegetable that I probably would not have tried but the earthy tastes were a fabulous new experience. We finished with a taste of chocolate texture, 3 little chocolate tastes perfect for two. Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and classy!UESEaterDined on 8/27/2013If you want to make an impression on your date, this is the place! The place is right at the entrance of the Cliff Walk overlooking Easton's Beach. The view of the ocean was fantastic! The decor, service and food was excellent. For better dressed patrons, they can opt to sit inside the dining room. For those that are dressed a bit too casually, they can also dine outside in the terrace. Overall, it was a great dining experience well worth the premium price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.