The Spiced Pear
117 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Spiced Pear
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechanler.com/dining
- Phone: 4018472244
- Hours of Operation:
The Spiced Pear opens daily for dinner from 5:30pm - 9:30pm. The Spiced Pear dinner menu is available in our Main dinning room only.
Dinner reservations are recommended.
Lunch is served in our Veranda Sunroom daily from 12pm to 3pm.
Al fresco dining, daily from noon to close on the Cliff Walk Terrace serving our lighter fare menu (weather permitting, call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Duffy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Winthrop Room - Provides seating for up to 8 guests. The entire restaurant can be contracted for private parties and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Wood (401)847-2244 x
- Entertainment: Fireside Jazz with Dick Lupino and his musicians, every Friday night from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Special Events: Live Jazz on Friday nights, Romance Dinner Packages, Chef's table, private dinners,
A word from The Spiced Pear
Welcome to The Spiced Pear Restaurant offering the very best in Newport fine dining. We use only the freshest seasonal ingredients from New England and abroad. Enjoy fine dining in a beautiful oceanfront setting. The Spiced Pear Restaurant located in The Chanler at Cliff Walk is a Newport treasure waiting to be discovered! The best of Newport awaits you with endless cliff-side Atlantic views, romantic atmosphere and the highest quality service. The spiced pear dinner menu is served in our main dining room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Spiced Pear - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Spiced Pear reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (57)romantic (56)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (33)great for outdoor dining (29)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Very generous with their portionsMaxFish10Dined on 11/10/2013Very generous with their portions during restaurant week in Newport. Great presentation!Special Features:
- Newport Restautrant WeekCaretinaDined on 11/9/2013Great dinner at the Spiced Pear on Saturday evening. Appreciated the fact that even though we all chose from the reduced price menu of Newport Restautrant Week. The food, service and ambiance were still of the high standards that you would come to expect at any other time of the year that you would dine at The Chandler at Cliff Walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spiced Pear DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2013Wonderful view, gourmet fresh local dishes and Cole as our fabulous waiter made for a very memorable evening. The burgundy escargot, mussels in lobster broth, veal cheek ravioli and the duck breast well all terrific! Friday evening jazz in the bar adds to the ambiance through the restaurant. Cole is a true professional wait-staff / server and ranks with the best of those in European Relais et Chateau restaurants.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013We had a wonderful dinner as always when we dine here. Cole is a fantastic waiter and always remembers us and is ever so kind.Special Features:
- Haughty WaiterBrianDined on 11/7/2013My wife and I decided to select items off the price fix portion of the menu because those selections appealed to us more than the regular menu. After ordering, there was a marked attitutude difference from our waiter and we received limited attention compared to the diners surrounding us. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itEsprit41376Dined on 11/6/2013A memorable food experience but not over-the-top because we came during restaurant week :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An AH-mazing date nightEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 11/3/2013We were able to squeeze in from a last minute cancelled reservation that popped up on opentable.com. Our friends told us about their martinis and I have never had a better drink before in my life. I got the French Pear martini and my husband had the Spiced Pear martini. So delicious!! We took advantage of the restaurant week menu, which was a phenomenal deal for such a great date place. We both started off with the mussels which we both thought were very good especially with the bread that we sopped up the broth with. I ordered the statler chicken and my husband got the blank angus short rib. The chicken was moist and flavorful and the short rib was beyond tender. So yummy!! We both got the bread pudding, which was ok. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingwilltravel4foodDined on 11/1/2013A very beautiful scenic dining area. Tasteful live music. Many empty tables. Our service was very slow. They forgot our bread. My salad was brought out too soon and left us waiting 30 minutes for the entree. After the food came out the server immediately asked us how it was but we only had a bite. HD never checked on us so I could not tell him my vegetables were under cooked. The price of the steak entrée was exorbitant for the little amount of meat on the plate. The menu should have had a weight on the meat. We also noticed many families dining with young children. If you like to watch the kitchen in action you have a clear view to the chef.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Experience!StephDined on 10/27/2013Such a memorable experience. The food was fresh and fantastic. The ambiance was INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to go back next time I am in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, friendlyDecklynDined on 10/27/2013Impeccable service, friendly accommodating. Beautiful scenery and ambiance. The food was excellently prepared. Highly recommend this beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Top Notch Dining!GetLADined on 10/25/2013I found this place from a top ten romantic resturant email. I have dined all over Newport and never heard of the Spiced Pear in the Hotel Chandler. To sum it up, you feel like you are dining in the princess castle eating the food of royalty. Well maybe that is over doing it a bit, but the food is all composed plates that every bite goes to well with each other. The waiters are at your beck and call, and the ambiance, if it was spring/summer would blow you away. We went in the Fall so it was a bit cold if you want to walk the grounds. The breathtaking views, of what we could see being night time and the hotel/mansion itself actually made us think about having our wedding there. Very Pricey, but what isn't at a Newport Mansion for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnernewportDined on 10/19/2013My dinner was tasteful (shrimp and scallop) but portion very small. My husband disliked the blackfish....tasted like soysauce. Water glass not refilled. Only 1 piece of bread offered (really... for the price of the dinners to be limited to 1 piece of bread??). Seats at tables situated so that you feel like you're having dinner with couple at table across from you. Requested table closest to window with ocean view...didn't get it. Left hungry after expensive dinner. Extremely disappointed!Special Features:
- A Foodie's dreamSandyCDined on 10/17/2013We tried the tasting menu and it was heaven! From start to finish everything was perfect: atmosphere, service, wine, and of course food. I highly recommend this restaurant! If you are visiting Newport, You should plan on eating at the Spiced Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charm and CharacterLouieLouieVIPDined on 10/17/2013Perched above the Cliff Walk and with a water view, this restaurant is a fine choice, but there is a significant flaw that needs correction by management. The main dining room has an open kitchen and from anywhere in that room, the sound of the kitchen ventilation system was so loud that it distracted from the otherwise excellent experience. Service was excellent and we were pleased with the food. It was too cool on an October evening to sit outside but that would be a great alternative weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best everEATODined on 10/13/2013My husband and I dined at the Spiced Pear on our first trip to Rhode Island. Memorable experience. Wonderful staff. Delicious food skillfully prepared. My husband had the lobster and he is still talking about it days later. I had the halibut which was excellent. Already told several people how much we enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little Gem!LaurieVIPDined on 10/4/2013This place is fabulous for romance or that special occasion dinner. Great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceMorningbirdDined on 10/1/2013The Spiced Pear is a beautiful restaurant with wonderful food, drinks, atmosphere and attentive staff. My family and I have dined here for my October birthday three times in the last four years. It is very memorable and worth every penny. I have never been disappointed and look forward to returning next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Onion soup special was verySWlwVIPDined on 9/28/2013Onion soup special was very good as was my Robins Nest martini. My husband and I were pretty disappointed with our main courses and dessert With wine and drinks our bill came to over $250. We woul be ok to pay that for a good meal but this was not a memorable one.Special Features:
- Excellent MealJohnDined on 9/28/2013I have had several occasions to eat at the Spiced Pear over the last five years. The food is always excellent and the service is perfect, attentive, but not smothering. Another nice evening with my Wife and daughter in college. Thank you.Special Features:
- Nice special occasionNewporterDined on 9/27/2013Very nice evening. Attentive but not hovering wait staff. The tomatoes in the salad were firm, but tasteless. The escargot with burgundy sauce was very good, different than the traditional garlic butter. The rib eye was perfect as was the duck. Portions were sufficient, although the supporting vegetable and starch were meager.The waiter was very good, congratulated us more than once on it being our 44th anniversary. Wine list was pricey for the value. They did a nice job of seating couples at tables in the room with a view and groups, who would be expectedly noisier, in an adjacent room. Much improved from out first experience a few years ago, now we will return more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambitiousoptimisticVIPDined on 9/21/2013Setting here is marvelous, kitchen staff obviously very motivated. However, several things left me ambivalent about the prospect of a return. Don't think an open kitchen serves this venue well at all. Were seated near the open kitchen when other, quieter tables were available. Found proximity of the kitchen a distraction rather than an asset, as I normally do. As this is a very pretty place, I would have liked to enjoy the dining space for what it is focusing on the setting. Our appetizers were a disappointment - the soup, the idea of which was admirable, was bland. My heirloom tomato salad arrived with seriously under ripe tomatoes and virtually no dressing. Lovely looking plate, though. Entrees very good but slightly over salted.Special Features:
- memorablepakaDined on 9/20/2013on two occasions I had to ask another server to get my waiter perhaps he was busy in main dinning room ,food was outstanding drinks plentiful, wine selection extentive and over pricey we look forward to going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experiencemrpalateDined on 9/15/2013The Spiced Pear at The Chandler Hotel in Newport RI is not only situated on the cliff walk for a spectacular view of Brenton Point, it provides its diners with an incredible menu & service fit for royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2013Outside eating wasn't available because of a wedding but inside is also very nice. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013We celebrated our 10th anniversary at The Spiced Pear and it was the perfect choice! Everything from the food to the ambiance to the service was top notch. We had an amazing view of the water (definitely request a table with a view). It was the perfect spot for our special date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty night after a stressful daymariacDined on 9/8/2013After getting our son off to college in Providence, we decided to spend the night in Newport. The Spiced Pear provided us with a beautiful setting (we ate indoors, but sat by the windows overlooking the beach). My martini was pricey ($15) but good, as were our wine choices. Lobster bisque soup was wonderful, but my halibut was a bit overcooked and dried out. The souffle was a special way to end the evening. We would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencefoodieDined on 9/7/2013Fabulous food, attentive staff, overall highly recommended!Special Features:
- Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/2/2013I read the great reviews before making reservations and it certainly lived up to expectations. From the great food to the terrific service, The Spiced Pear ranks among the best in Newport. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Dining ExperienceKevins1ladyDined on 8/31/2013We had a wonderful evening. The wait staff was very attentive, able to answer questions and recommended wines for paring. We started with zucchini flowers and this was the first time I had them prepared NOT deep fried. They were filled with a beautiful gorgonzola cheese stuffing that made you want to lick the plate. We had the roasted corn soup which was delicious, creamy nothing like I have before. My husband had scallops and shrimp perfectly done with an amazing sauce. I had the duck breast which was accompanied with root vegetable that I probably would not have tried but the earthy tastes were a fabulous new experience. We finished with a taste of chocolate texture, 3 little chocolate tastes perfect for two. Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and classy!UESEaterDined on 8/27/2013If you want to make an impression on your date, this is the place! The place is right at the entrance of the Cliff Walk overlooking Easton's Beach. The view of the ocean was fantastic! The decor, service and food was excellent. For better dressed patrons, they can opt to sit inside the dining room. For those that are dressed a bit too casually, they can also dine outside in the terrace. Overall, it was a great dining experience well worth the premium price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport at its finestColoradosunshineDined on 8/25/2013A completely wonderful dining experience. The setting was delightful with drinks on the patio followed by wonderful food in a lovely setting. The wines by the glass and the wine list exceeded expectations with great choices at all price points. The plating and accompaniments to the striped bass made for a wonderful dinner. Lobster bisque was as good as it gets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dinner August 23, 2013!rkpacdanDined on 8/23/2013Ordered specials for the night: lobster salad appetizer and a grilled tuna entree. Not really a lobster fan & not typically cold seafood fan at all - chilled lobster was the most delicious ever with mixed greens, pear and apple slices. The main course of grilled tuna was served rare (just slightly overdone) spiced just right, and so fresh - caught that day! Served with sauteed vegetables: every morsel was incredible. For dessert a sort of tart mixed berry Shortcake with basil sorbet! This was superb. I couldn't comprehend the basil sorbet when I read it on the menu, but it was surprisingly wonderful! One of the most delicious sorbets I've ever had the pleasure of consuming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star All the WayRhodeIslandGirlDined on 8/23/2013Outstanding restaurant with no airs where there usually are in fine dining restaurants in Newport where the monied gather. It was comfortable and serene. My husband had the shrimp and scallops and I had the veal chop. Both were fantastic. Our waiter always had a smile on his face and very cordial. A nice corner table overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and Easton's Beach, right at the beginning of Cliff Walk inside The Chanler Inn. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Super Romantic SpotLJW17Dined on 8/23/2013My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and it was wonderful. The staff could not have been more outstanding in making our night extra special. Cole B was out waiter and he may be the best waiter I have ever had...ever! This kid was polite, and gracious and made us feel special. A rare find these days. The food was very good, and the views of first beach and the ocean were spectacular. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- It doesn't get any better!2togoVIPDined on 8/21/2013We make it a point to go to the Chanler to spend the night and dine at the Spiced Pear for a "special occasion" every August. The food is wonderful, the service is terrific, and the view is fantastic. You can dine on the outside patio or in the dining room; both have great views. The bar area and fire-pit are great for a pre or post dinner cocktail. It's a welcome respite from the Newport waterfront bar scene, and only a few minutes away...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite Newport RestaurantMaryAnnDined on 8/14/2013My husband and I loved the dinning experience at the Spiced Pear! The waiter was great; we didn't feel rushed and he was very informative about the wine, the food and the Chanler in general. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a really good restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2013This is a really good restaurant. Great food, service and views. Work with the hostess to get an ocean view and you will be in for a memorable evening. Its a bit away from the main tourist area, but it is really worth going to.Special Features:
- Will definitely go back!jrkayriVIPDined on 8/3/2013After years of wanting to try this place we finally made it in there! We were not dissappointed! The service was exceptional, our waiter, Cole, was fantastic and his knowledge of wines excellent! The food ranged from very good (souffle) to exceptional (lamb and duck). We will go back to try the pre-fixe tasting menu next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special evening once again!NightowlbrandyVIPDined on 7/31/2013Food is very good & beautifully presented. Service is amazing due to very attentive Cole, Jayson & flambé maker. Really enjoyed celebrating our special occasion w 3 other tables who did not know before arrived as all very friendly & tables sufficiently close by to carry on a conversation. View of the bay gorgeous esp when there for a typical Newport sunset. Highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!!!!DinerproVIPDined on 7/12/2013Stayed at the Chanler which houses the Spiced Pear. Magnificent setting! Excellent food with professional service. The dining room I overlooks the famed Newport Cliffwalk and provides stunning views. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.