Union Bar and Grille
1357 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Union Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6174230555x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00am
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Steven Morlino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Restaurant is available BRUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $45/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 100 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Cross Street: Union Park
- Public Transit: Silver Line T Washington Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet service, street parking and free off street parking 1 block away at 560 Harrison, tell the guard you are dining at Union.
Public Transit Stops: Take the Silver Line on Washington Street to Union Park
A word from Union Bar and Grille
The original South End bistro celebrating our 10th year anniversary and our Improper Bostonian Best American Bistro award.Continued
We serve dinner nightly as well as a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday with a $9.95 price fixed option all day Saturday and through 11am Sunday.
We serve dinner nightly as well as a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday with a $9.95 price fixed option all day Saturday and through 11am Sunday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Union Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Union Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (35)great for brunch (28)good for groups (23)romantic (18)special occasion (18)hot spot (12)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent food and service!MelbyMDined on 6/1/2014I have gone to Union many times before for dinner, and have never been disappointed with the food. Today's brunch was also a reminder of their excellent service. Even when there was a slight mishap out of our server's and manager's (Nicole) control, they did everything above and beyond to make it right. It was a delicious and wonderful brunch experience!Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2014The atmosphere and decor are nice but the food is lacking. Nothing exciting and nothing really stood out as delicious when my friends and I went for brunch. I had been one other time and thought it was a flukey bad experience but the second time proved that the food isn't spectacular.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Lovely brunch! The only hiccup was slow kitchen service.Special Features:
- Great brunch venuenancy02129Dined on 5/18/2014Union is consistently a go to choice for brunch - the service is always prompt, courteous, and usually, very humorous! Food is great - especially the omelets.Special Features:
- Great Brunch in hte S EndtastybudsDined on 5/18/2014We really enjoy brunch at Union Grill. The food is always so good and the atmosphere is elegant yet calming. Service is good and is the coffee.Special Features:
- Mothers DayOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2014The kitchen staff might have been tired after a long day. The menu was great, the food fair. We will give it one more try, but not happy with the food.
- Nice Mother's DayTKPVDined on 5/11/2014We arrived on time for our reservation but the table was not available as several diners seemed to be lingering. The staff was apologetic and provided a little champagne to bridge the wait time. We had our two girls with us and one is a bit of picky eater. When she couldn't find anything on the menu she wanted, the staff helped out with a suggestion not on the menu that worked out well. This was definitely above and beyond good service. The food was excellent and the service was as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Everything was great! The server was very nice, but he spoke very softly and we could barely hear anything he was saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average quality for this areaEarlDined on 5/8/2014The maitre d' was super friendly and welcoming. The table was small for three adults. The waitstaff was efficient but they fell short and didn't provide any insights. My beet salad appetizer was served as three tiny pieces of beet hidden under a pile of Mesclun, I had to send it back and asked for the real beet salad. The chef added 5 pieces of red and yellow beets - it became a good salad but not amazing. My colleagues had mussels that were served in garlic water. The main course, sole in parchment, was flaky and moist but blend and uninspiring. The wine was good for its price ($35) as it was a very young and slightly warm(?). The bill was $160 for three including the tip.
- good social gathering placeSunshinebostonDined on 5/4/2014very good dining experience, i took some friends that was first time visiting the restaurant and they love itSpecial Features:
- Not QuitegjhrsVIPDined on 5/3/2014I went with four friends for brunch and had a great time. The restaurant is comfortable, not too loud and the ambiance is laid back. Three of us had Bloody Mary's. When the waitress brought the Bloody Mary's you could smell the horseradish and knew they were going to have a kick. For some reason we all got the red flannel braised pork, two poached eggs, thyme jus & home fries. They don't tell you that it also has Brussels sprouts and beets in it. It was pretty bland and needed salt and pepper covering it to give it flavor. The crispy fried poached egg as bland, as were the popovers. We were all a bit disappointed with the food and left wishing we had tried something else. It was not the 4-5 stars I had read about online. Bit of a bummer.Special Features:
- GraduationGraduationDinesDined on 5/1/2014Went here with my family for my graduation dinner. It was very good. I got the gnochii which was tasty and for dessert the bread pudding. My dad's entree of duck was actually my favorite.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialCarmensensemanVIPDined on 4/27/2014Brunch was average, service was affable , but delivery of the food was very slow, and some items came out Luke warm. Would not return for brunch. Much better options in Boston.
- Food was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014Let me preface this review by saying that Union recognized that our service was less than satisfactory and took good care of us when it was time to pay. We sat down at an awkward 2-top next to another couple although there were a few booths available. They could barely get past us to pour water or deliver food, so we moved the table back a bit to save ourselves the trouble. Server comes over 10 minutes later, says hello and asks if we are ready to order. We order cocktails/brunch, and the table across from us (who sat after us) gets their cocktails first so I have to ask for ours. Sigh... 3. Food comes 20 mins later, and is delicious! My sausage is missing, I ask but it never comes. Better luck next time I have the free time to brunch!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch-tasticLastMinuteDecisionMakerDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant is really perfect for Sunday morning brunch. My husband and I loved the decor/atmosphere, with the leathery booths, large mirrors, and cool lights. The price is really reasonable, especially the Early Riser (prix fixe-style) option-- our favorite. Great service, too. We are bringing my in-laws this Sunday, and we're all really looking forward to it!Special Features:
- Great food/slow serviceintheneighborhoodDined on 4/21/2014Marathon Monday was not very busy when we arrived mid evening. Food was great but service was painfully slow in spite of relatively small number of patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchMonicaDined on 4/20/2014Food was spectacular! Chorizo omelette was out of this world! Union was very accommodating. We were running a few minutes late from church and I had to add one member to our party. They were able to help! We had a great time and I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but wasn't wow-edsarahfeena79VIPDined on 4/20/2014We went to Union a few years ago for dinner during restaurant week and had a great meal, so decided to take my parents there for Easter brunch. Service wasn't great - our waitress was good, but, we were brought someone else's food by a runner that was just left on the table and the guy walked away. My dad's breakfast was delivered with bacon instead of sausage, and dry toast with no butter. The waitress then brought over a side of sausage and some butter, and seemed annoyed that the kitchen hadn't gotten the order right. In addition, the breakfast looked a little sad on the plate - eggs, bacon, toast and home fries on a plate, but without any kind of garnish, not really filling the plate, no butter/jam. French toast was great.Special Features:
- EkshinDined on 4/19/2014Brunch menu was simple and delicious, but nothing amazing. Good got big groups and don't forget to try the blood orange mimosa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town & local accommodatingJaysBostonDined on 4/18/2014We agreed to meet a friend who was in town for a day at Union for dinner. We had reservations for three. By chance two other friends met up just as we were going to Union. They ventured to stay for a pre-dinner drink. When the out-of-town friend arrived at the reservation hour, Union staff went to extraordinary lengths to accommodate the reservation for 3 that now turned to 5. I was slightly surprised how easy the staff made this happen. No scolding or "these are our rules" remarks. Just a simple, "let me see what we can do." Impressive and customer friendly. The food was excellent, the service perfect. I commend the ownership for making an effort to make us feel valued. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Bar and Grille is the BestdsnapVIPDined on 4/17/2014We live out in the burbs, Sudbury to be exact, and find the Union Bar and Grille to be the best neighborhood restaurant in Boston. Great service, great food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- good mealHemulVIPDined on 4/16/2014We had not been for a while, and welcomed the changes to the menu, which tries to incorporate seasonal ingredients. Both of our entrees were very good. My wife had the duck and I had the rabbit pasta dish. The Brussels sprout side dish needed less maple syrup and more time in the oven. The roasted artichoke appetizer was not a hit. The outer leaves had the texture of cellulose and they were bitter. The charcuterie plate was somewhat unbalanced - too much liver mousse, too little sausage. Wine selection by the glass was very good. Service was attentive and seating was comfortable. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent brunch on a short noticemirbDined on 4/13/2014Union was the only place for brunch in the South End with an hour's notice. Lively atmosphere; good food. The only problem was that it took our food about 40 minutes to arrive; we weren't in a hurry but we were very hungry. Overall, good experience, but there are better restaurants in the neighborhood if you plan in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchSnchangDined on 4/13/2014I went for brunch and the food was absolutely amazing. I had the sweet potato omelette and I never knew sweet potatoes and eggs go so well together. Definitely worth a try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful brunch!Cd496Dined on 4/13/2014Wonderful brunch spot with a prix fixe menu. The veggie scramble was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't quite deliverMuncherDined on 4/12/2014Loved the ambience and buzz of the place but the food was average for the price and the service was too slowSpecial Features:
- ReliablesamziamVIPDined on 4/5/2014Union offers good food, very attentive service and reasonable prices--on a consistent basis. And, Washington Street offers relatively easy on-street parking, with no-cost off-street lots in the vicinity of Union.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened to this place?JML51VIPDined on 4/1/2014This was the second time I had been there in two weeks. Both times the food was extremely slow to come out of the kitchen. The waitstaff was attentive but that did not make up for the delay. Also, the food has gone downhill. I had brunch on the first visit and most of the food tasted as if it was pre-prepared and dried out. The second time was for dinner. I ordered venison. It was tough and tasteless. My husband's burger was overcooked.
- Union Bar and Grille is the best!dsnapVIPDined on 3/29/2014You will not be able to find a better and more well balanced neighborhood dining experience in Boston. Food quality and variety, service and overall ambiance - all 5 star. This is our favorite restaurant in Boston.Special Features:
- Tasty food, great ambiance!JackDined on 3/27/2014I came to Union Bar an Grille for dinner during Dine Out Boston (formerly Restaurant Week)! Let me tell you, the $28 three course meal is worth it! The corn bread is a nice touch! It comes freshly baked! It's not too sweat, but not too corn mealy. Service is pretty good considering the place was pretty full (make sure to put reservations)! Ordered the beet salad, which was very refreshing and tasty. I got the gnocchi, which was soft and wonderful. The overall dish is very green and fresh tasting. If you're not into a very green filled meal, don't get this. But, I like veggies and enjoyed the very interesting flavors. For desert, I got the banana foster. You can't go wrong with it. My friend got the warm chocolate cake and it was delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and servicekuffypDined on 3/22/2014I have been walking past this place since it opened but never patronized it. Although my husband claims we had drinks at the bar once. The food was very good as was the service. It's restaurant week or month? We ordered from the prix fixed menu $28 for 3 courses. It was great. The drinks were very tasty too. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!CrisCDined on 3/22/2014Though I'm sad that the cod cakes are no longer on the menu, everything on the current brunch menu sounded delicious. I ordered the braised pork with poached eggs, beets, kale, and potatoes. I was expecting something like a hash that I could put on top of the brioche toast, but the consistency was more like a stew that made the toast a bit soggy. I liked the flavors myself but some might find it to be a bit bland. Also had a gruyere popover and side rosemary fries which were both delicious. Francisco, the host, was very accommodating and friendly and informed us that we could park in the Gaslight lot if we had difficulty finding parking-- a bonus for those who are deterred by having to find street parking in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who doesn't love brunch?yourxserviceDined on 3/22/20143 course brunch for under $10? how can you beat that! Great food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid - all aroundBillCambridgeVIPDined on 3/19/2014We dine out a lot and like many of the restaurants in the South End but hadn't dined at Union Bar & Grille in a long time (several years). I needed a last-minute reservation for a post-work dinner and they had a table. So we tried it. It was excellent. The food is very creative and decent portions. My only complaint was that both of our entrees (duck l'orange for me and sole for my wife) were slightly overcooked. Not ruined, but not the right temperature. So we ate them and they were good, not great. The cornbread before the meal is awesome and the desserts are huge (we shared a banana bread pudding that was tremendous). Our server was super nice and attentive too. I'd go back again, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/18/2014I was greeted graciously and my friend and I were escorted to the corner table that I had requested. The waiter was promptly there to take drink orders and the meal we ate was delicious. The standout for me is toward the middle of the meal the manager approached. He spoke to me by name, mentioned this was the 4th year in a row that I had chosen to eat at Union while in town for the conference. He asked if he could treat my friend and I to desert, which we were happy to accept. And that was delicious as well As a result of the vening my friend will now be scheduling some of her meals there during next year's conference and I know I will be back. Cudos to the manager for great customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow what a disappointmentLulu13Dined on 3/18/2014We have not been back to the Union in a couple of years but decided to try it for restaurant week. Big mistake. The food was bland, beet salad had no flavor, dessert cake was dried out. The place was empty. Walked home past several other restaurants that were bustling. Hope they can figure out how to get back to their original glory.
- Wonderful menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014Union has established a reputation for a great menu with both variety and intrigue. A wonderful evening.Special Features:
- The food and ambience werebennettbuchananVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food and ambience were excellent, but we (and many others) were seated 20+ minutes late and then the service (although friendly) was not attentive & came in dribs and drabs. So for that reason I'd only recommend going mid-week.Special Features:
- For some reason the food tookkennedyDined on 3/8/2014For some reason the food took a long time to arrive, but the staff handled it very well and provided a round of free drinks to compensate for the wait. I would go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Nicely doneNickDined on 3/2/2014Service was great. Staff were super friendly and welcoming. Excellent decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.