INDO Restaurant & Lounge
3295 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
INDO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 650-494-9184x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tommy Charoen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering. Please give us a call or email with the details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi private room can accomodate up to 35 guests. Patio is available for any large parties of up to 150. Please give us a call or email with your event details!
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Lew 6504947168x
- Entertainment: Stay tuned, we will be your nightlife destination.
- Special Events: INDO Restaurant offers private dining to create the perfect setting for your special events. Our two private rooms can accommodate 20 to 80 guests, and our patio is perfect for cocktail receptions for up to 150.
A word from INDO Restaurant & Lounge
INDO Restaurant & Lounge is conveniently located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our culinary vision is of two goals to introduce authentic Indonesian dishes lead by Indonesian native Chef DeCuisine Deanna and offer interpretations of California/French cooking methods via a collaboration between Executive Chef Tommy & Chef Deanna. Our lounge offers craft cocktails made with fresh juices and premium spirits while also showcasing a unique international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
INDO Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (47)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (21)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (18)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- great for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2013we went there for a birthday and the service was really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy - loud fun DJ musicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013We had a great meal here on a Saturday night, just our family - husband daughter and self. There is a DJ. The DJ music was fun but meant we could not really have a conversation. We sat inside, I don't know if it would have been easier to hear each other talk if we sat in the heated patio. The tables are quite wide, so you can hear the person sitting next to you, but not the person sitting opposite. The food was yummy - very similar to Straits Cafe which was at the same location for years, many of the same dishes. The Roti Prata was very very good - maybe the best ever. The Laksa was not authentic (no tauhu, no special laksa chilli sauce, prawns too large), it was very coconutty and absolutely delicious. We ate every bit of every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always - a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2013We love coming to Indo. The food is always excellent and the atmosphere is lovely. The service is great, and we always leave happy and full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Restaurant! Wow!JulzJrnyDined on 8/14/2013Wow! I was blown away. Ambiance, service, drinks and food were impeccable. We were there for our anniversary and we sat outside at a nice table on the patio. There were heat lamps so it was lovely. Good music and ambiance. The waitress brought us 2 free glasses of champagne for our anniversary to start off. The specialty cocktails were great, my favorites were the basil cucumber gimlet, and the cilantro jalapeno margarita. The Murtabak appetizer blew our mind with the preparation and the sauce and spices. My husband enjoyed the lamb and I had the Sambal Goreng Tofu which had a fantastic sauce, fresh cilantro and a few red peppers over the top with coconut rice.Yum! We are going back as soon as we can! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Fantastic place for flavorTHarrisVIPDined on 8/8/2013Great food - amazing flavors! This is a great place for a client lunch an happy hour get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersFabFriendsDined on 8/3/2013The service and food was great. Highly recommend for friends, work, or family gathering.Special Features:
- Indonesian fusion & great happy hr!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/31/20131st visit since it morphed from Straits to Indo. Quite loud in open entryway and bar, but very pleasant ambiance on patio conducive to conversation. We had the pepper mussels (yum!) and the fesh po piah (good, but not nearly as good as the mussels), and due to a couple of cocktails and glases of wine, ended up splitting the salmon. This was delectable with a mango chutney in a mild but flavorfull red curry sauce, along with a seving of brown rice. Ended up being plenty of food for the two of us. The service was truly excellent - Very attentive. Would definitely go back (and maybe try the $5 cocktails and appetizers at their extended 5-8 PM happy hour!).Special Features:
- good choice for palo altosloguyDined on 7/29/2013a good choice for palo alto. a good foodie choice at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- I was a big fan of StraitslovethaifoodVIPDined on 7/29/2013I was a big fan of Straits and miss it in Palo Alto. The INDO food is quite similar and quite good.Special Features:
- Great food and very energetic!CristieatsDined on 7/27/2013The ambience was very nice, young and energic, it had nice music at a level that you could continue the conversation, but still it felt like you were in a night club. The food was very nice, it is an Asian fusion. We had the crab among one of the plates. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinning but improvement neededBlueDined on 7/27/2013We had an excellent meal and the servers are nice but need an improvement , they are lacking food experience and some servers do not how to pronounce the name of the food correctly. Hopefully it will improve soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes extrordinaire!MangiaDined on 7/25/2013Indo delivers wonders for the palate. I t was reccomended by a friend-I was told to order the mussels and the rib-eye. The mussels contained a super-delicious sauce and we gobbled them up. The rib-eye was full of flavor-as rib-eyes are wont to be.. Desserts were lovely. A lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Good FoodhungrypersonDined on 7/24/2013We enjoyed this restaurant when it was Straits and we enjoyed even more as INDO. The INDO menu is similar, with some of the same items, yet it seems more focused now. All the food had great flavor to it - different, vibrant spices that you could really taste. The snap peas were excellent. We really liked the spicy basil chicken, too. Our waitress Alexa was very attentive yet didn't overwhelm us. She let us enjoy our food and our experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I read a lot of good reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2013I read a lot of good reviews about this restaurant..but was a little disappointed with the dish I ordered. I had yellow curry and there was still fat on the chicken pieces which was quite unpleasant. No enough gravy to go with rice hence a bit dry. Would go back to try something else...Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013We enjoyed our appetizers, and small plates. The food was unique and special. The service great. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt Rushed!RushedDined on 7/19/2013The food was great and it was so nice to sit outside in the covered patio. We were seated promptly...almost too promptly as we had been sitting in the bar. They closed us out real quick and seated us. Wait staff kept coming by and taking empty dishes. I took the last lumpia and the guy took the platter while my lumpia was mid-air trying to get to the dipping sauce! When we were seated, we wanted to enjoy appetizers and drinks but the waitress kept coming by trying to get us to order our dinner. The whole experience was too rushed! We still had a great time and enjoyed our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yellow curry is a must!BrunchDinerVIPDined on 7/18/2013Fantastic food, great service and cool music. Looking forward to going back already!Special Features:
- Nice enough but not a favoriteshinDined on 7/18/2013I used to go to this location. It was the Strait's Cafe. Somehow it was closed down and replaced by this restaurant. I went there from my curiosity. One thing I did not like lighting. It was uneven lighting so that we sit down in a dark. But I would be fine in other part of the restaurant. We've ordered a bunch of things. Most of food was reasonably good, but not the best. The bar was attracting people drinking quite a bit. That led to much noisier ambience. I guess I did not particularly enjoy that. Over all, it was ok. Nothing really wrong. But I would not go back to the place.Special Features:
- ExcellentmichaelDined on 7/11/2013Excellent happy hour and ambience. The food is great here, both on the happy hour menu and the regular menu. The staff is friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!Mdith77Dined on 7/11/2013Had a wonderful time catching up with old friends here. We had dinner on a Thursday-- food was delicious, beautifully presented. Drinks were well prepared. Service was thoughtful and excellent. Will likely return soon. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy the open airktolayDined on 7/11/2013INDO has a terrific covered patio for an outdoor dining experience without the inconvenience of getting wet in the rain or the glaring brightness of direct sunlight. You get great food in a great environment year round.Special Features:
- first time, def coming backVandamanDined on 7/10/2013loved it so much, i'll definitely come back with my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there. ServicejamieVIPDined on 7/5/2013First time there. Service and food top notch. Enjoyed sampling the various items - each very well prepared.Special Features:
- Good food, beautiful settingprymnumberVIPDined on 6/25/2013INDO's food is meant for sharing. Every dish we ordered was so good and we were glad to have tried several. The restaurant itself is beautiful but parking was a little tricky. (If you drive around, you'll eventually come across the "free parking" sign tucked towards the back of the restaurant patio.) And the noise level was definitely loud enough to make private conversations difficult. But if you're going with a group, then the place is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Malaysian-based cuisineSwinesheadDined on 6/25/2013The Malaysian-based cuisine is excellent, and the menu small but focused. I had salmon pangang with coconut rice and it was fantastic!Special Features:
- A Delicious As AlwaysHappyDined on 6/18/2013Indo is one of my favorite places for lunch in Palo Alto. The food is delicious and they understand how to keep things moving for those of us who have to go back to the office. The prices are great - frankly, I'm surprised they don't charge more for such good food and large portions. I hear they make rijsttafel on Mother's Day and one other holiday. Have to get back for that. I haven't had it since Amsterdam and Indo's is supposed to be as good or better. Get there early though b/c the parking lot is small and tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome roti, chicken satays!yum123VIPDined on 6/17/2013Awesome roti, chicken satays! We went right as they opened for dinner, so it was quite. Outdoor patio looked lovely! The only negative was multiple gnats/bugs flying around us/food; understandable since outdoor patio opened inside, but still annoying to be shooing them away mid-bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow start but great finish!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2013We were on our own for about 10 minutes or more before our server greeted us and began to wonder if anybody would wait on us. But after the initial slow start, we had good service from that point on. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal -- great flavors, lots of spices, delicious combinations. The salmon was to die for!Special Features:
- DisappointingtatiDined on 6/15/2013I made a reservation for five people a week prior to our meal. When we showed up, we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. The whole place was so dark that everyone had trouble not only reading the menu but actually seeing what they were eating. Once we were seated, it took 30 minutes to get a server to take our drink orders. Took another 30 minutes to get our food orders. And finally finally, a good 40 minutes to get our food. By the time we got our food, the place was closing and everyone had left except for our table. Disappointing experience. The food was the only positive note during the night.
- Great updateOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/12/2013We enjoyed this place when it was the Straits, and hadn't been back since the remodel. We're glad we returned, because the food is just as good, and the interior is fresher and more modern.Special Features:
- Flavorful food, comfortable roomJohorVIPDined on 6/10/2013Flavorful cooking and subtle variations on familiar SE Asian dishes. Warm and friendly service. Roti hot and tasty. Curries rich, well spiced with depth of flavor. Duck well-prepared (but over cooked for those who expect a rare breast). Service warm, patient, unintrusive. Look forward to a chance to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurant tuckedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2013Fantastic restaurant tucked away off of Page Mill. Great ambiance and the food is terrific. A lot of flavors and a lot of new twists/pairings. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Best Happy Hour in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2013The Happy Hour goes on till 8pm and all the $5 appetizers are delicious!!!Special Features:
- Really nice.....RafaelVIPDined on 5/14/2013Had a great time, but the chicken was spicier than described. Minor point since the service was excellent and the calamari to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceLoveFoodDined on 5/12/2013All members of our family liked the Mother's day brunch. The choices were great. I liked the shrimp, roti prata and short ribs the best. Amongst the desserts, I liked the coconut pudding best, but the others were very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They did a good job for Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013They did a good job for Mother's day Brunch. They had a good choice of American and Indonesian cuisine, eggs Benedict, Potatoes, short ribs, salmom, shrimp, noodles, gado gado, parata, Tofu and great desetrt and Bottomless Mimosa. All for a very reasonable prices. This might have been their first Mother's day brunch so it wasn't crowded at all - great. They were a little late to start but no biggie - they made it up with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I miss Straits CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2013While the menu is similar to the old Straits Cafe the food and presentation isn't up to the same standard. Our waitress was a gem and she added the spice lacking in the food. I might try Straits Restaurant in Santana Row but wouldn't go back to INDO for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HappyDined on 5/2/2013Indo serves wonderful Indonesian cuisine in a relaxed and friendly environment. The mango lemonade is very refreshing. Everyone at my table ate everything on their plates except the garnish. They even give you the option of brown rice so you can hold onto your sense of healthy eating after downing a mai tai. The only disappointment is that they serve rijstaffel only on Easter and Mothers Day. I would bring a group just to have it! It will be a favored lunch spot for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one complaintajhorse21Dined on 4/30/2013GREAT food and a super nice ambience. You barely remember you're on one of the busiest stretches of El Camino. They have an unparalleled happy hour. It goes til 8 pm, $5 beer, wine, and COCKTAILS-- try the gin fizz and the paloma! The food is really great. My fiance and I split the mie goreng, which was pretty spicy, and the sambal tofu, which was surprisingly less so. We loved both of them! My one complaint is because my friend asked which dishes could be made vegan, told them which ingredients she was worried about, and not only did her dish take twice as long as ours to come out (they did apologize!), it had egg on it when it finally did come out! Look out, vegans!! Everyone else, get INDO here as soon as you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, "me too Chinese"OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2013Nice restaurant, excellent service, mediocre food (far from being fusion over traditional Indonesian cuisine - seems more like another Chinese restaurant...)