INDO Restaurant & Lounge
3295 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
INDO Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 650-494-9184x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indonesian, Southeast Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tommy Charoen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering. Please give us a call or email with the details!
- Private Party Facilities: Our semi private room can accomodate up to 35 guests. Patio is available for any large parties of up to 150. Please give us a call or email with your event details!
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Lew 6504947168x
- Entertainment: Stay tuned, we will be your nightlife destination.
- Special Events: INDO Restaurant offers private dining to create the perfect setting for your special events. Our two private rooms can accommodate 20 to 80 guests, and our patio is perfect for cocktail receptions for up to 150.
A word from INDO Restaurant & Lounge
INDO Restaurant & Lounge is conveniently located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our culinary vision is of two goals to introduce authentic Indonesian dishes lead by Indonesian native Chef DeCuisine Deanna and offer interpretations of California/French cooking methods via a collaboration between Executive Chef Tommy & Chef Deanna. Our lounge offers craft cocktails made with fresh juices and premium spirits while also showcasing a unique international wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
INDO Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
INDO Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (19)great for lunch (15)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Very noisyPlayGoerDined on 3/4/2014We came here for dinner before a show, and was seated promptly as the place was mostly empty. However, the bar was pretty full and the noise level was very high. It was hard to hear each other in that mostly empty dining area. It's probably due to the lack of noise buffer in their decor--everything is hard surface. The lighting was dimm so it could be a nice and romantic ambience, yet the noise ruined it all. The food was very good and tasty, but everything is a la cart in addition to the steep price. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Another good meal at Indo.SalmonDined on 3/1/2014We've been coming here since the restaurant was called "Straits". In fact we held our wedding rehearsal dinner at Straits. Ownership changed--it is now called Indo. The chef and food remained as pleasant as ever. The menu has shifted more toward Indonesian style, as the name indicates; however, there are other South East Asian influences. We often take out-of-town guests to this place and have never been disappointed. The staff are generally friendly; although they can get rather busy; the atmosphere is pleasant, and the food is very tasty. My wife grew up in Indonesia and she is happy that this place strikes a good balance between maintaining some authentic flavors, while adapting others to the local pallet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!one2hookDined on 2/21/2014The staff were friendly upon arrival, and though we were some of te last guests, we werent rushed or hurried. The food was amazing, the drinks were splendid, and i'll ve back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portionsmulanDined on 2/13/2014I ordered a fish plate that costs 30 bucks but was disappointed when they brought me the plate with such a small portion. Same reaction from my friends with their fish plates. If the fish portions were bigger I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missItalianSnobVIPDined on 2/7/2014We ate here on a Thursday night and the food was really hit or miss. The Roti Prata was really great though they don't provide enough sauce but the basil chicken was mediocre at best and was more of a curry than a true basil chicken.
- Special occasionslexalphaDined on 2/6/2014are handled nicely. I noted on res. that we were celebrating both a birthday and an anniversary, and requested a special dessert, no nuts. Then I just left it in their hands. They brought us some unexpected sparkling wine, and then a wonderful cake dessert that was warm, delicious and even had a candle. Attentive service but not intrusive. The only problem was that the noise level was very high, but we had a great time anyway. We'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great food and ambience.foodieDined on 2/1/2014I really liked the good here. The ambience is also very good, with low noise and dimly lit it calls for special occasions when you want a romatic dinner or just a nice dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencejimuDined on 1/25/2014The food was really great, the drinks are excellent and the staff was great. They were clearly down a waiter but managed to make up for it. Only real knock is that some of the tables are placed oddly in narrow throughways so there can be a fair amount of foot traffic. Still, deserves its 4 stars overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion DelightLadyDyDined on 1/21/2014Thumbs up for the sea bass, garlic noodles, & all the veggie dishes. My friends enjoyed several of the specialty cocktails. I love that they have fresh squeezed lemonade.Special Features:
- Group centralBrunchDinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014This used to be a trendy intimate place but it's very much groups now. Lots of big tables, noisy vibe. Great for parties and groups. Definitely a good place for a birthday. The food never fails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantSJgirlVIPDined on 1/18/2014We have dined at this new restaurant for a few times and were very happy every time we came back. The food is very flavorful. Drinks are good. The seabass was my favorite. Happy hour foods are also very good. The manager paid good attention to returned customer and even brought us a free chocolate dessert. That customer service always draw customers back. Definitely a recommendation and will come back.Special Features:
- Indo gets it right!travelkatDined on 1/18/2014Newly renovated with cool bar, gorgeous outdoor area and cool indoor interior. Food is fabulous south east asian fare - touches of Indonesia, Singapore and other wonderful cuisines. Really excellent food with fabulous flavors and great cocktails such as the cucumber basil gimlet. Excellent and attentive servers too. Not at all pricey either which makes it a great venue to go with a group or with the family. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/17/2014Wonderful pear cocktail and both entrees (Asian noodle) and short rib... We're terrific
- The Go-To Place for All OccasionsGigiVIPDined on 1/11/2014Indo is a great choice for business lunches, company happy hours and romantic dinners, inside and outside in the patio. The service has been excellent each time I went, the bartenders and waiting staff are very friendly and the food is excellent, even for foodies. The ambiance is great for casual, professional and romantic dining. The combination of the open space from bar to indoor dining to patio seating makes this place very versatile. Indo is a place for all occasions, sure to please your professional colleagues, casual friends, and dates. It's the kind of place everyone you bring leaves impressed with, and is sure to get you compliments as a hip foodie who knows your spots!Special Features:
- INDO a Must...HLC1VIPDined on 1/10/2014Excellent Southeast Asian cuisine, served in a energetic atmosphere. Service is reasonably good. If you like food from Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore etc., then INDO is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place was busy but service was fastmirellabDined on 1/10/2014I enjoyed a Friday evening with three of my best girlfriends here recently. We shared combinations of small plates (notable the papaya salad and one of the noodle dishes), salads and entrees and enjoyed everything. I had a jalapeno margarita which was absolutely addictive. We sat outside on the El Camino side of the restaurant, but the tent (felt like we were at a wedding) and the heat lamps made it pleasant and we didn't hear any car traffic but for one emergency vehicle that went by. The service was really swift and the dishes came out in a well-timed way so that we felt like we were eating forever. Desserts were great too. This place would be great for large group lunches, I'd think, but could get a bit boisterous for a 'working lunch'Special Features:
- worth a trytechtnDined on 1/8/2014This is a great place. I have been here 3 times and have always enjoyed the food. I recommend eating family style so you can try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back!hayleyDined on 12/20/2013The staff was amazing! Very accommodating (we changed our reservations 3 times as our party size decreased) and attentive to our requests. Despite several large parties and a DJ playing music, the noise level was not an issue and you could still hold a conversation without having to yell. The food was outstanding! We ordered the Tuna Tartare (they were more than happy to replenish our shrimp chips when we ran out), Gado Gado, Poh Pia, and my favorite, the Bihun Goreng (which was still tasty the next day as leftovers!). I'm looking forward to coming back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very attentiveimdegDined on 12/7/2013Great food, very attentive and considerate waitstaff. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for business dinner.lunchtimeVIPDined on 12/4/2013The food and the service is excellent. I had not been here since it changed from Straits to INDO - and we were pleasantly surprised. the sea bass melts in your mouth and the eggplant alone is worth a repeat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and TastyKatrinaDined on 11/27/2013Indo is a hip and trendy restaurant. The service was very nice, although a bit hyper-efficient clean up. I sat outside on the really nice patio. The hostess was really nice to make sure we were near a heat lamp so the seniors in my group wouldn't get cold (and they probably don't have a ton of seniors visiting). Great food. The Mie Goreng and the Lamb Curry were great. I recommend ordering more rice because the sauces for the dishes tend to be on the heavy side, but would be excellent over rice (ex. papaya curried beef) Overall, nice and trendy place for fusion asian food and hangout with friends.Special Features:
- I would go back, but not regularlyileftmyheartinsanjoseDined on 11/23/2013Pros: Staff are all friendly, professional, and prompt the patio seating is pleasant the restaurant is well decorated The food is good, but over-priced Cons: Not family-friendly I was disappointed that the online-menu didn't match the menu when we arrivedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningSamGrauszDined on 11/22/2013Dinner at INDO was very tasty and enjoyable. Enclosed patio area is particularly pleasant. Lounge in back has loud DJ music, so make sure you get a table on the patio if you want to be able to talk to others at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live in the area and firstBayAreaCatDined on 11/19/2013Live in the area and first time to new restaurant Indo. Met a friend for lunch and the food was EXCELLENT! Very flavorful and satisfying. Can't wait to back.Special Features:
- Our first time to the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/15/2013Our first time to the restaurant. Went based on Open Table reviews. Good food and service. Only complaints was bar music was too noisy and lighting too dim making it hard to read the menu.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back to IndoTEGODined on 11/13/2013The service and food were very good. You would have no idea by driving by the restaurant that is was such a quality establishment. However, once inside you realize this is a popular spot. The service was great as was the food. Also, the drinks were unusual (I had a jalapeno-cilantro margarita) and very good. My only complaint was that it was too loud to easily carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & awesome serviceBradDined on 11/9/2013This place has all the best things on the menu! We tried the Roti Prata, Black Pepper Mussles, Chilean Seabass, Lemongrass Rib-eye, Garlic Noodles, and Coconut Rice. It was such an amazing dinner and we can't wait to go back. Definitely stands out from all the other restaurants in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDevsDined on 11/9/2013The food was awesome! Everything we had was tasty and the cocktails were great too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charged for refills of icedAlvinstella1Dined on 11/8/2013Charged for refills of iced tea without informing us. Overall place is not desirable and too expensive for what they have to offer. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisepartyof1Dined on 11/7/2013Though it's easy to miss when you're driving by, it was worth getting a little lost to find this gem. Great food. Friendly staff. I would highly recommend sitting outside. There are space heaters and a great atmosphere. Perfect for a small group. Everyone in our party left happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/4/2013We were stoked to stumble on this place. Amazing food. I mean, really, really good. Our server was fantastic. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Echo across the room was reallyJenniferDined on 10/31/2013Echo across the room was really loud so we can barely hear each other at the table. Food was not so great.Special Features:
- Food quality could have been betterkirtanaDined on 10/19/2013This is a great place to go with your friends! The food is ok and the desserts are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceDiningOutDined on 10/19/2013Visiting our son from out of town, found this restaurant from other reviews. We sat on the patio, which was quieter than the very lively indoor dining area. The patio was gorgeous, just enough lighting (and heaters) to give it great ambiance. We had age range from 16-77, and everyone loved the food! Particular favorites were the flatbread with yellow curry sauce, seafood green curry, steak in lemongrass marinade, and coconut rice. There was a bit of a gap in time between appetizers and main dishes, but it was Homecoming weekend so it was very busy. The gap didn't bother us as we were busy talking and didn't want to feel rushed. Wait staff was attentive and engaged, which was nice. Will definitely go back next time we're in town.Special Features:
- Great Asian cuisine and settingmaven88Dined on 10/19/2013Overall, we had a great meal at INDO. Yes, the prices are higher than I'd like, but the preparation and execution were better as well. All the dishes were cooked perfectly (salmon, ribeye, lamb, mussels) and flavors were stellar. We left both very full and very happy from both food and drink. The outdoor patio area was especially a pleasant surprise and I suspect if you're hampering for a nice night out (with kids), it's the perfect spot. Bottom Line: INDO is better than Straits ever was.Special Features:
- Good food, but average overallarchitect6Dined on 10/4/2013We waited 20-25 minutes inspite of having a reservation. What is the point of having a reservation then?
- Great food and serviceTrixDined on 9/25/2013Excellent service. Great food. Kind of pricey for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2013They had a DJ in the restaurant. Could barely hear my table, but the food was great!
- Sorry, we're out of thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2013We were 6 with reservations for 6:30. Parts of my group arrived early, all of us there by 6:30. We had cocktails, then ordered main dishes by 6:55. At that point we were told all 3 of the dishes we wanted to order were "out". Including 2 menu staples (I've been to Indo 5 times before). How can a restaurant be "out" of 3 main dishes by 6:55? We asked. The waitress informed us it was due to the party of 30 that was sitting next to us. But they were all still on drinks at that time, given their guest of honor hadn't arrived yet??? So how could they be the reason for no choice on the menu? The appetizers we did manage to get were good. The back-up choices for main dishes weren't stellar. There was no attempt to comp/suggest alternative dishes.
- I love this place!BrunchDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2013Fantastic food and service. I will definitely return......the yellow curry is to die for! Another fantastic meal at Indo!Special Features: