Kendall’s Brasserie at The Music Center
135 N. Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Kendall’s Brasserie at The Music Center
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.patinagroup.com/kendallsBrasserie/
- Phone: 2139727322x
- Hours of Operation:
View Spring Hours Here:
Saturday - Sunday 10:30AM - 3PM
Monday – Friday 11:30AM–2:30PM
Saturday and Sunday 10:30AM - 3PM
WEEKEND MATINEE LUNCH
Saturdays and Sundays 11:30AM–2:30PM
(On matinee performance dates only)
Tuesday – Sunday 5PM–Close
Dinner and Supper seating closes 1 hour after the final performance.
Monday – Friday 11:30AM–Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Jean-Pierre Bosc
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Please call 213 972 3028 for more information.
A word from Kendall’s Brasserie at The Music Center
Kendall's is a stylish, fast-paced French brasserie offering Contemporary cuisine for lunch, dinner and late supper. **Guests who are attending performances at the Music Center/Disney Concert Hall must make their dinner reservations two hours in advance of the performance time. Guests not allowing two hours risk missing the performance.**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kendall’s Brasserie at The Music Center reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (59)great for brunch (48)notable wine list (39)romantic (38)good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (26)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (14)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Pre-Theater DiningElegantbearDined on 6/28/2014We arrived 30 minutes early for a Saturday evening reservation and were seated right away. We promptly received our water, however, it was more than 10 minutes before we saw a server. We had the chef's choice charcuterie which was the typical commercial, non-artisan meat that surprisingly included a Mortadella that looked and tasted like it came from an Oscar Meyer package. One entree was Chicken Tagine with cous cous which could have used more of the Moroccan spices that were supposed to be in it. The other entree was the Short Rib with mashed potato and spinach which was tasty, but not exceptional. All and all, the meal was good and the service was satisfactory.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 6/28/2014Very disappointing.would think twice before coming back
- Loved itbritts833Dined on 6/27/2014Great place to fine before going to a concert or show. Staff is very attentive to time constraintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImprovinglunchbunchVIPDined on 6/27/2014Have eaten there many times as it is convenient to the Music Center venues. I have usually been disappointed as the menu choices were so-so and surprised at the quite high cost. However this time we were pleasantly surprised. The two dishes we ordered were exceptional. I hope this means someone new in the kitchen.Special Features:
- The following 2497 reviews are from the Kendall’s Brasserie at The Music Center reviews archive.
- Serviceluv2boutDined on 6/24/2014We have dined here many times before and the wait staff have been fun and upbeat but this time it was very subdued and our waiter couldn't have been more unfriendly. Food in the past has been great but this time it was fair to good. I'm not certain what's going on here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service tops the foodpennycatDined on 6/22/2014The hostess, bar tender and server made us feel like royalty with their attentiveness and smiles. The attention was genuine and not overdone. It's too bad the food doesn't quite make the same impression. For the prices, I expected better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing lunch!gmarchDined on 6/21/2014We had the Jumbo Lump Crab salad with avacado, green beans and grapefruit! It was fabulous. Service is always wonderful.Special Features:
- A hit and missWeepulsDined on 6/20/2014Kendall's is a comforting establishment with satisfying food, great cocktails, good ambiance, and usually, great service. However, the latter was not the case last visit. The server was, according to management," getting acquainted with the organization", a safe explanation for admitting the server did not know much about serving The wait was inappropriately long, and our reservations were for 10 pm. A regrettable mistake since Kendall's is part of the Patina Group, which provides in my opinion, some of the best and most qualitative as well as innovative, food experiences in Southern California. Great service has always been present to complement my dining experience. Kendall's needs to vindicate itself, and restore excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Pre-theater DinnerPeterinRedondoDined on 6/20/2014The location makes this the perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner for any of the Music Center Theaters including the Walt Disney Hall. They are specially welcoming to theater goers and ensure that you can enjoy your dinner and still stroll comfortably to your theater on time. The menu is small but caters to all tastes with something special for everybody. My Three Herring Salad as an appetizer was a treat and the Cassoulet Toulousain emphasized the French ambience. We were particularly struck by the attentive but inconspicuous service. Dinner at Kendall's Brasserie before the theater can ensure that a simple visit to the theater is a special occasion.Special Features:
- If you are at the Music CenterFoodie135Dined on 6/20/2014Nice restaurant to eat at before you go see your performance. A little expensive but if you are in a time crunch this would be your option.Special Features:
- Tuesday vs FridayFrancefriendlyDined on 6/17/2014There was quite a difference in the service and food. The bread usually so fresh, was dry; the Tuesday special was not available, so I chose the cassoulet which was lacking flavor; the meat was good but the beans were undercooked. We go to this restaurant several times during the year and we've noticed that in the last couple of months the overall experience has been less enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service poorOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/14/2014We have dined at Kendall's many times in the past before attending the theater. This time the service was deplorable. This is a restaurant that specializes in pre-theater dining, so is used to seating and serving within a small time window. A drink refill took a half hour to complete after ordering. This is totally unacceptable. Food is good, but I spent the whole time trying to find the server and catch her eye.
- Very Good RestaurantUnhappyDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant being one of few in the immediate area of the Music Center is a nice place to eat before a performance because of its location. The menu hasn't changed much through the years, so daily specials will not ever be available on given performance date. Service is great here!Special Features:
- good for before theatre or concertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014The best advantage is the location if you are going to a play or a concert next door. The food is adequate but nothing more, do not expect anything above average. Pricy for what you get... Practical but nothing more.
- Overpriced winelistShihuVIPDined on 6/7/2014The wine list is incredibly overpriced. Since there is no corkage, I would recommend that you bring your own special bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre OperaOT123VIPDined on 6/7/2014Good spot to get dinner pre event in the music/opera area. Food is good, service is attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most convenientVissidarteVIPDined on 6/4/2014when attending the opera. Our server was great in navigating a crowded eatery with tables too close together. Even though we arrived @ 5 o'clock, we barely made it to curtain!Special Features:
- Love Kendall's Brasserie!operafanaticDined on 6/1/2014Before or after a performance either at the Music Center or Disney Hall, it is great!! My favorite entree is the moules frittes--mussels with delicious french fries which recently I have requested replaced with a steamed vegetable. They bring me beauuutiful green beans that I love with the steamed mussels. An additionally attractive feature is the zero corkage fee, but their own wines are very good, too!Special Features:
- Great after theater restaurant!GrenouilleLoverVIPDined on 6/1/2014Very enjoyable restaurant after seeing the Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Theater-great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HATE the new brunch menu!!!KCN1955VIPDined on 6/1/2014Why, why, why did they mess with perfection? Not everyone wants to eat pancakes at noon. I hate the new brunch menu and will be finding a new place for LUNCH before my Disney concerts.
- Having an off nightprtayVIPDined on 5/31/2014I have eaten at Kendall's many, many times, and typically the experience is top-notch, but it must have been an off night on this particular occasion. The waiter went home without notifying us, and the replacement server took our order, but never informed us what we had been ordered was no longer available (I'm not sure he knew, at the time). He brought something we didn't order and acted as though we had made a mistake. My entree was somewhat mediocre, but that's not necessarily going to ruin a dinner. It took over 20 minutes for the server to come to retrieve our payment, so we just got up and went to the bar to wait and see how much longer it was going to take.
- DisappointedWelldineDined on 5/31/2014Kendall's was highly recommended as the place to eat before going to theater at Ahmanson. The food was delicious. However the restaurant was quite noisy to be what I consider an expensive, high end restaurant.Special Features:
- Pre-TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014Good place to go prior to seeing a performance at the Music Center. Service is very good and speedy, food is good (we ate salmon), makes the theater experience hassle free.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed lunch prior to the Ahmanson Theater event. It is close by and convenient. It is a special treat and something we look forward to.Special Features:
- Excellent for pre-theater/concertnylaDined on 5/30/2014Though it's a bit pricey, Kendall's is always a great spot to meet friends for dining pre theatre or concert. Food is tasty, service friendly and sensitive to ticket time.Special Features:
- DeliciousAnneSelDined on 5/30/2014We ate at Kendalls twice while visiting LA. The first night we were with friends, the second night on our own. Every dish we chose was very good - cooked to perfection, with well thought out sides and condiments. Service both nights was excellent - extremely professional but also very friendly and helpful. We were also pleasantly surprised that, although it certainly isn't cheap, it provides good value for money and its location, under the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and next to the Walt Disney Hall, is ideal.Special Features:
- AhmansonsJonesDAVIPDined on 5/30/2014We enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. Food was exceptional and service was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014We had the quiche -it was cold and the top looked shriveled, like it had been sitting in the kitchen for a long time. We had tickets to the theater so didn't have the time to send it back. The rest of the food was good. We sat on the ground level, just back from the hostess station, and the noise level was very high. We will go back, and now that we know the layout of the interior, we will know which table to request. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014Food was good but I expected better for the price. Visited restaurant before a matinee and the crowd was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Feels like a true Parisian bistroLuvtoeatDined on 5/28/2014I know this restaurant is primarily attended by Music Center guests and also mostly on Friday and Saturday evenings. We went on a Wednesday night - made a reservation for 8:30PM and I think we were the only people dining at that time - the place was empty. But, the staff and our waiter were wonderful and made us feel special. The waiter guided us to that evening's best dishes and we were not a bit disappointed - everything was delicious. Eventhough we were the last people to dine that evening, we were not rushed a bit.Special Features:
- KikiWtacosetceteraDined on 5/28/2014We chose Kendall's for the proximity to the Ahmanson. I loved the wine choices and prices weren't extravagant. The bread and butter scores high, with the consistentency of restaurants in France. We ordered fish, the White fish and the Salmon, which was fresh, cooked perfectly and a delicious herby green sauce with an edge of sweetness complimenting the fish. We did splurge and order some Pommes Frites. They weren't skinny and the taste wasn't memorable. So that was the only disappointment!! I was later glad I hadn't had the extra calories! We shared an apple tart which was excellent! I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient and good.DrFoodyDined on 5/24/2014Great start for a night at the Music Center. Avoid the rush, arrive a couple of hours before curtain, get a parking spot on the street(!), and have a delicious dinner here. Be sure to make a reservation though or you'll be turned away with a polite apology or be seated on the sidewalk on Grand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better and betterJudyVIPDined on 5/24/2014As regulars for both dinner and weekend brunch, we continue to be impressed by all the innovations of the chef and Parisian manager Laura, both of whom are transforming Kendall's as the place to dine not only before the Music Center but any time we want a meal downtown. In fact, we chose it for a recent son's MBA graduation dinner from USC - and received raves from all our guests. Most recently the brunch: tried the lemon ricotta pancakes with Meyer lemon; amazing. Can't wait to try the fresh beignets. Dinner menu also has several items on my "to do" list. For service, the absolute best servers are Marlon and Natasha, but all staff have become very patron-oriented as well.Special Features:
- Great for pre-theatrehatboxVIPDined on 5/24/2014The menu is wonderful. the old menu was tired, and now there is a new spirit about the place. The food is very good now!!Special Features:
- Kendall's Ups Its GameRichardGDined on 5/21/2014Kendall's has been a Music Center staple for years and does a great job. I eat at Kendall's at least 7-8 times a year when attending an opera or show downtown. Food and service has always been excellent. Recently, food has simply gotten outstanding. A revised menu is better than ever and the food has become as good as any of the high end places in town. In a town exploding with new and hip places, Kendall's has clearly held its own and continues to shine.Special Features:
- A touch of Paris in LALADinerDined on 5/21/2014Kendall's Brasserie brings the ambiance of Paris to the Music center in LA. Our pre-opera dinner was fabulous. The oysters, jumbo prawns on crushed ice, the 7-hour roast pork -- all delicious and with fine wines. A great way to start the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good when at the opera or a playWineLoverVIPDined on 5/18/2014Very good bistro food. Quite convienient when going to a play at the Ahmanson or an opera. If you have to make it to a performance, they will get you served quickly, and they are a good choice after a matinee, or an early evening opera. The wine list is over priced. They have pretty good wines by the glass (though they are pricey as well). If you want to talk to your dinner companion (s) don't sit adjacent to the bar, as it gets very noisy when the bar is busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falling OffRichardDined on 5/17/2014Have been to Kendall's many times over the years before the theater. Maybe they were extra busy, but the service was just lacking and the quality of the food has gone to average. Next time we'll go someplace else.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014changed the menu and it's rather boring; liked the old menu better; only accessible place to eat close by if you're going to the Music Center theatres. Don't order the white fish if you have a hearty appetite, the portion was so small a child would be hungry aferwards; also serving it skin side up was unappetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhill . . .OperaDinersDined on 5/17/2014The last two visits have been disappointing (May '14, Nov '13). Chateau steak little flavor, lamb had to be returned: under-cooked (wonderful topic was broiled with the lamb instead of being removed first), rotisserie chicken excellent but dry, creme brulee cold custard. Nice house Chardonnay. Midnight jazz decaf (French press) best decaf coffee I have ever tasted. Black napkins should be offered to patrons wearing light colored fabrics: the ladies had white lint all over their black dresses.The earlier visit: braised short rib was grisly and greasy. You get the idea. We love the location and convenience, but it takes more than this to keep us coming back.