Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
1126 Capital Trail (kirkwood highway)
Newark, DE 19711Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://oletapaslounge.com/
- Phone: 3022249378x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:30am-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Basque, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Since Ole Tapas! is built around providing flavorful Spanish food and drink, we do not limit our meals to our Tapas menu. Ole! takes food to your event’s location, catering events with only the best Spanish food and at the best prices possible. Our extensive catering menu of many unique Tapas, satisfies the different preferences and dietary considerations of your guests. Our catering can serve groups as small as five and go up into the hundreds. Additional services and help, including service staff, are available so that we do all work.
- Private Party Facilities: Coming Soon!
- Private Party Contact: Manuel Aguinaga 3022249378x
- Special Events: Make Ole Tapas the home for your next private party! Ole provides a unique atmosphere with the same food and wine that you come to expect from us, sure to make any party memorable. We offer a multi-course buffet style dinner tailored to your wishes. Please contact us for pricing and more details.
A word from Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant is an authentic tapas restaurant specializing in seasonal tapas, Spanish wine & especially family style entrees. With the warm mood lighting & upbeat Spanish music, this vibrant new restaurant will make you feel like you are in Seville, the capital of tapas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newark ›
Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)special occasion (32)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (28)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Mothers Day/BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014We celebrated Mother's Day and my daughters 25th Birthday at Ole Tapas and had a great time. The food was delicious. We would order 3-4 tapas at a time and the food kept coming and coming. I love that Meddertarian style of eating.Special Features:
- Great experience!MommaJLGDined on 5/11/2014We decided to try this restaurant for Mother's Day at the encouraging of our daughter who had been there twice with her high school Spanish class. We thoroughly enjoyed trying Tapas for the first time, and everything was great! Our waitress, Kat was very helpful and everything was brought out in a very timely manner. We can't wait to go back to try the paella; it takes a little longer to prepare and we didn't have enough time.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBajanDivaDined on 5/10/2014It is so nice to visit a neighborhood non-chain restaurant. Have enjoyed every visit to Ole. The food is always appropriately seasoned--and fresh. The owner is attentive to the customers--ensuring that he at least greets everyone. The scallops are amazing--fresh, sweeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 3FavoriteDined on 4/28/2014This is one of my top 3 restaurants in the US. The food is amazing and the wine list, although not large, is incredible.Special Features:
- Terrific!CPB1Dined on 4/26/2014We took our son to Ole Tapas for his 21st birthday. We ordered about a dozen different items off of the tapas menu, and everything was delicious. The service was friendly and attentive. We had a terrific meal and will definitely be dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best experience herePyatachokVIPDined on 4/26/2014Once in a while when we pass through on 95 we stop to eat here. Most of the time our experiences are great, sometimes just good,but this time it was disappointing in food and in service particular. The waiter was pushing his opinions on us to the point of such unpleasantness that it literally ruined the meal. And the taste of the familiar dishes was also not quite the same. It's a pity if this is a trend. We love this place and wish them well, but another experience like this and that will be it for us.
- Good food. Service could be better.asdfDined on 4/25/2014Reserved a table for 7:30. Got there at 7:20 and, after checking in at the front, sat at the bar; we were offered a small table in the middle of the floor right by the front door and asked to sit somewhere else so we knew we might have to wait. (Those two small tables should be removed. Most people would feel uncomfortable eating there, especially on a date.) Had to flag down the bartender at the bar to order wine even though it wasn't very busy. Wine poured around 7:35. Table available around 7:50. Server very energetic to the point of being a bit annoying, but still was fairly slow in providing menus and taking our orders. I hadn't eaten there probably a year and the food is still good.Special Features:
- Ole Tapas Lounge & RestaurantLocalVIPDined on 4/19/2014We tried Ole Tapas Lounge & Restaurant for the first time for lunch. Our server Juan was very welcoming and knowledgeable. He described all the menu items and specials with great passion. He was like our personal tour guide for the afternoon. Tapas is a great way to try many different tastes without becoming too full. Then you can reorder more of your favorites! We enjoyed the fig wrapped in bacon, the Spanish meatballs, Muscles and the steak. We'll return for dinner sometime to try the larger plates and the Paella.Special Features:
- Almost there . . .JimLVIPDined on 4/15/2014Everything was one step from REALLY good. The Honey Fig drink had a bit too much OJ that was a bit too sweet. The Sangria had a bit too much fruit and ice. The server had a bit too many tables. The Blue Cheese flat bread had just a bit too much cheese. The lamb empenada was a bit too crispy. The coffee came out a bit too much before the dessert. The rice pudding had a bit too much orange zest. Everything was VERY close -- but sometimes too much of a good thing is still too much.Special Features:
- Tapas?MarkDined on 4/8/2014The selection wasn't very good minimal tapas I have been in others and there were profoundly more on the tapas side of the menu when nothing struck my fancy the main menu had even less to choose from. One shrimp tapas! One and only in garlic no roja or verde sauce as in others but asked if they could reply my response was they were out of shrimp this was 6:30 in the evening my guest and I were one of two couples there and two patrons at the bar. How do you even open a restaurant with a history of seafood and no shrimp. Huge disappointment. Very good sangria.Special Features:
- Great for "Tapas" conceptDelawareJeffDined on 4/6/2014As always, the food was excpetionally prepared, seasoned, and presented. The entire Spanish "tapas" experience is fun and unique. Our server had vast knowledge of the food and cuisine, and recommended several outstanding dishes. We went for a romantic dinner, but Ole Tapas would be great for groups due to the "sharing" concept of tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Great food. Great drinks. Nice friendly service everytime we go. Nothing else around here like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant outingAnkiDined on 3/21/2014quiet ambience with delicious meals, friendly, discrete yet helpful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas placePyatachokVIPDined on 3/2/2014As always we had a wonderful experience. The food is very flavorful, the service is very nice and attentive, and the ambiance (particularly sitting in the boot) and a tastefully chosen Spanish music makes you feel very cozy and relaxed. Very affordable for the quality and quantity of the food. Thank you Ole Tapas for another great experience.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerBirthdaydinerDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time at OleTapas and we were there for my birthday. The good was good and we had a really nice time. The service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodChloeDined on 2/28/2014As usual,Ole Tapas, did not disappoint! As their tapas are consistently excellent,we decided to try one of the entree specials:Baby lambchops with truffle mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini. A rich and satisfying dish with wonderful flavor combinations .Zucchini edges were a little difficult to chew is the only complaint. Flan for dessert was lick the spoon delicious. And they serve French press coffee as well as many other coffee choices. Our server was attentive and provided helpful recommendations.And the owner frequenting the room and periodically checking in with the customers was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningDrives2muchDined on 2/22/2014If you want to experience an authentic night in Spain, this is the place for you. The food was excellent, the service outstanding, and the atmosphere was warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seeking Spanish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014We returned recently from Spain and this restaurant is definitely authentic spanish cuisine. Loved it. Our only comment is to tone down the lighting to improve the ambience. Too bright!Special Features:
- My date and I had a numberOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014My date and I had a number of tapas which were all quite good. The restaurant did a great job of taking seemingly familiar dishes and making them their own with variations that we found quite pleasing. We had the bistec ajillo, calamares fritura, pulpo, yuca, and maduros y tostones. The staff was quite pleasant and very helpful.Special Features:
- Great food, ok servicereviewer74Dined on 2/15/2014The food was fantastic, but our extremely friendly server forgot to put in orders for two of the dishes we selected. And the hostess was quite rough around the edges and a bit rude. Despite having a reservation, we were told they were "slammed" and "you guys are gonna have at least a 15-20 minute wait." She instructed us to wait at the bar but when we were halfway through our drinks, she asked us to get up from the bar so two new arrivals could take our seats. She called us "you guys" over and over again, never smiled or behaved graciously, and reminded us with her attitude that we were in a strip mall in DE. That's sad, because the decor and food is good enough to make you forget that fact.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole Tapas...great place for tapasVacubsfanVIPDined on 2/14/2014We have been several times to Ole Tapas, but decided to go on Valentine's Day with several of our friends that were couples as a large group outing. The place was packed as we got there about 20 minutes before our reservation but enjoyed a glass of wine at the bar. The charcuterie plate was outstanding...just needed olives, which you can add on as a separate item. Each person in our group of 6 ordered 2 items from the tapas menu and no one went home hungry! The food was great across the board, but my personal favorites are the white bean-chorizo-friend egg stew and the duck with cranberries. Dinner wrapped up with the dessert sampler for the table, and also was a hit. Best dessert items were there churros and tres leche cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinner ...RichDined on 2/13/2014...for my wife and me. Ours is Feb. 13, so always a day before a really hectic dinner night and unusually quiet. Our server was especially personable and helpful with our wine and dining selections. Will certainly go back, and bring some friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal at Ole TapasSlomo928Dined on 2/7/2014Stayed overnight in Newark Delaware so we could have dinner here. The menu changes periodically, but some items are always present on the menu such as the duck breast and the califlower gratin, both favorites of ours. We ordered a balance of vegetable, meat and fish centric tapas.one of the stars of the menu is the black mission figs stuffed with blue cheese. We ordered it two ways, wrapped in bacon as a early part of the meal and plain as the final item because it is a wonderful dessert flavor. We has stopped here many times when traveling between upstate NY and VA. The food continues to impress. The noise level can be high on a crowded night, but not overwhelming. Great choice for great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch experienceAnkiDined on 2/7/2014Very quiet atmosphere (but was early lunch on Monday), easy for conversations. Excellent food presentation. Hummus and octopus tapas, Tres leeches spongcake & bread pudding were delicious. Pleasant and timely service. The waitress was personable and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole'BoomersVIPDined on 2/5/2014So happy to see this place staying busy, which translates to it having staying power. One of my local favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing strong performanceObxkarmaVIPDined on 1/30/2014O-T is unique in NewCastle county and I'm happy to see it continuing its reputation for inventive Tapas, all of which are expertly prepared and delicious. The owners are dedicated professionals and attentive to all the fine details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great! Server wasJerseyBoyDined on 1/27/2014Food was great! Server was attentive, kind and considerate. Overall an enjoyable dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/19/2014My boyfriend and I really enjoyed ourselves here. The $15 all-you-can-eat paella, the delicious drinks, and great everything else made us very happy. Our server, John, was awesome. My one suggestion would be to dim the lights a bit-- a little bit of mood lighting at night never hurt anybody!Special Features:
- New Years Resolution FriendlymatiferVIPDined on 1/15/2014Visited here this past Wednesday with my cousin. She and I are currently working on modifying our diets to eat more healthy, natural, with less carbs, sugars, and fats this year. Our waiter was very kind to help us through the menu to deliver another delicious tapas meal! We laughed when we got our bill, $34. Usually here at Ole' we get dessert and wine with our meal along with 7 or 8 courses putting us closer to $85. With just a few courses and water, we were very satisfied with our new years resolution. But we will be back soon for those "reward yourself" meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried for the first timeberyl1221VIPDined on 1/11/2014We love tapas, and wanted to give this place a try. Started out well--my sangria and my husband's drink were wonderful. Our charming waitperson, Maria, was helpful as can be throughout our meal. The place was mostly empty, which didn't bode well. Our cheese plate was very nice, with a lovely, spicy homemade jam. Next were lamb meatballs, which appeared fried and were greasy. The torta also appeared fried, although Maria said it was baked. There was oil on it, and on the plate. It was tasteless without the aoli accompanying it. We had the shrimp, again with the olive oil, and the cauliflower with cheese, which, as far as we can tell, had no seasoning at all, even salt. Each of the dishes was accompanied by little slices of their bread.
- Tapas and serviceDanbDined on 1/11/2014This is our second trip to Ole. It appears to be the only tapas restaurant in the area. There is a large selection of vegetable, meat and seafood tapas as well as entrees and paella. We tried the tablas de chef which was a tray of meat, cheese, bread, and assorted olives, peppers. There was a lot of bread and meat but only three types of cheeses. The setas withchorizo were very tasty. Grilled octopus had nice flavors. The calamari was tender in another dish with a spicy sauce. The seared scallops were very good with piquant syrup. All in all nice choices which had flavorful sauces or salsa accompaniments. The sangria had lots of fruit but was very weak.Special Features:
- Great place!esolteroDined on 1/9/2014Food was very good and presented very beautiful on the dishes, we had about 5 different tapas, and were all good and the 5 dessert plate which to our taste the flan with pinneapple was the best, the others not that good. Staff was very friendly and helpful with selecting the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014GourmandDined on 12/31/2013Great New Year's Eve Party. Roast Suckling Pig was as good as the Luau in Hawaii. Kudos to the Chef! Good value for the money especially with the 'open bar'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole was more of an OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We went to Ole for dinner, and had a mediocre experience. While some of the tapas were especially tasty, most were average. The sangria was very over-priced and watered down, and the paella was not what we ordered. We ordered the vegetable paella, but we were presented with the seafood paella instead. The kitchen apologized, but rather than wait another 30 minutes, we tried to pick our way through what they had made. The rice was over-cooked and mushy and there was no saffron flavor to be found. Most surprisingly, we were charged for the seafood paella instead of the vegetable one. I doubt that we will go back again.Special Features:
- Awesome!MichekeDined on 12/30/2013Excellent place!! Out waiter Dustin made the night! He was interactive, helpful, very personable and polite! We will be back again for sure. The food was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseRussVIPDined on 12/27/2013Wasn't expecting such a good experience with a restaurant in a strip mall. Really good food. Loved the small plates. Service with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mouth-watering mealHungryMommaDined on 12/24/2013Took a small family group on Christmas Eve and everyone was wowed by the food. The tapas and entrees were delightful and cooked to perfection. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ole Tapas excelsSlomo928Dined on 12/20/2013Our Friday night dinner was another treat. Ole Tapas has modified the menu to include some larger portion tapas plates. One star of these was the grilled octopus. We also tried and truly enjoyed the cod omelet as a larger plate. Traditional small plates such as the duck breast and squash, paella croquettes are stand outs. Perhaps the pinnacle of the evening was the Mission figs stuffed with blue cheese and nuts, appetizer, entree plate or dessert? It doesn't matter the label, it is worth ordering another.Special Features:
- A great meal with great serviceDSSCDined on 12/13/2013My wife and I were late for our reservation , but the restaurant had a spot ready for us upon our arrival. We enjoyed a wonderful special seafood dish with sea bass, shrimp, clams, mussels, a special dish that night along with the the lamb meatballs. Drinks were well prepared and just to our liking. Service by Mr. Hunter at the bar was exemplary and we left feeling like we'd just gotten warm hugs. Great place to eat and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!amer11Dined on 12/11/2013This restaurant never disappoints. The flavors are always distinctive and delicious. The dishes are small, but filling and enable sharing and tasting a variety of offerings. Prices are reasonable, good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.